Help Please

Hi everyone.

I have just come across an excellent quality copy of Skip Mahoney's, Janice. It is on a white label 12" single on 'Underworld records' matrix number '12 UNDY 1'. I have done a search and can't find anything about this label at all and definately no mention anywhere of this record being released on it. Does anyone have any info at all and if possible it's worth? I know it's a 12" but I think it is quite obscure.

janice.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 35
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Legit UK re-release as far as I know. I don't think the 12"'s ever got further than the white label, but the 7"'s did have a proper label, black with red flames

The copy I use (not this one) is on the 'salsoul Soulvation' label on a demo 7", and I know it came out on 'Salsoul' in the states. Never seen a promo of this, although after a more in depth search, there is a normal copy on this label on Ebay at a starting price of £25, weather he get's any bids at that price remains to be seen :thumbsup: .

Social source share

I mean the Underword issue. I also have a British Salsoul reissue 12" with Cheaters never win on the "b" side, sorry the groups name escapes me at the moment, cos there has been a rash of Salsoul double sided reissues over the last few years it seems....Cheers John

Social source share

I mean the Underword issue. I also have a British Salsoul reissue 12" with Cheaters never win on the "b" side, sorry the groups name escapes me at the moment, cos there has been a rash of Salsoul double sided reissues over the last few years it seems....Cheers John

Cheaters never win - Love committee

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Deffo a pre-release of the official Uk 12" I had a Underworld (Isn't that the knicker factory in Corrie?) 12' with the red/black label befor I got me Salsoul 12" demo. Still one of the best 70's in my book. Infectious rythm, great backing singing, never lets up!

Social source share

Cheaters never win - Love committee

You're right again Ernie...Thanks for that, saves me going down the cellar to dig it out. "Cheaters" is a cracking modern sound in its own right, got it on US Salsoul as well....Cheers John

Social source share

You're right again Ernie...Thanks for that, saves me going down the cellar to dig it out. "Cheaters" is a cracking modern sound in its own right, got it on US Salsoul as well....Cheers John

Yes I also have the Love commitee 12" single on the original US label 'Gold Mind' which I have a feeling is one of the subsiduary labels of salsoul. May be wrong, anyone know? Also have to agree that is is also an excellent modern track in it's own right. Anyone any ideas of the worth of the 'Janice' promo yet? a bit worried cos it cost me a quid and I want to know if I've been ripped or not :ohmy: . LOL.

Oh and I've just checked, 'Gold Mind' is a subsiduary label of Salsoul, no wonder it's so good :lol:

cheaters.jpg

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Got to agree - both of them are top, top tunes and massive in the day. I still love em both.

:ohmy:

Here is my other copy of janice, I think this is a re-release, got it off Ebay about a year ago for a tenner. Looks nice though and obviously plays perfectly. It is a one sided demo (other side is blank), can anyone shed any light on this release?

janice2.jpg

Social source share

Here is my other copy of janice, I think this is a re-release, got it off Ebay about a year ago for a tenner. Looks nice though and obviously plays perfectly. It is a one sided demo (other side is blank), can anyone shed any light on this release?

janice2.jpg

Yep does look nice.

An niter freebie one off?

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Yep does look nice.

An niter freebie one off?

Looks like a give-away from 'Soulvation' to me. ( I think the '1st aniversary' and the address is the clue! :ohmy:)

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Looks like a give-away from 'Soulvation' to me. ( I think the '1st aniversary' and the address is the clue! :ohmy: )

Ah! now I see what the Soulvation depicts. Was permission actually given by 'Salsoul' to press these up then? it say's under licence from 'Suss'd' on the label, who are Suss'd? I may be wrong and correct me if I am, but didn't Ian Dewhirst get copyright to the Salsoul stuff for the mastercuts series? I think I heard that somewhere on the grapevine. If Ian reads this post I'm sure he'll put us right.

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

There is a boot of Janice about as well. white lable, which i bought at Warrington Parr Hall all nighter a good few years ago. deffo a boot 12" sold by one of the *j's!!!!! at the time. Mine had a warp, did they all?

Cheers John

Social source share

Ah! now I see what the Soulvation depicts. Was permission actually given by 'Salsoul' to press these up then? it say's under licence from 'Suss'd' on the label, who are Suss'd? I may be wrong and correct me if I am, but didn't Ian Dewhirst get copyright to the Salsoul stuff for the mastercuts series? I think I heard that somewhere on the grapevine. If Ian reads this post I'm sure he'll put us right.

Hey Screamer!

Suss'd Records was myself and my colleague Chris Barnett's label which was specifically set-up to reissue the bulk of the Salsoul catalogue in the UK and yes, we did licence "Janice" to Neil Rushton who who did the one-off 7" release for Soulvation. Looks like a nice collectors item now! I've attached an almost complete catalogue of what we reissued whilst we had the licence.

In fact this is the kind of stuff I'll be playing up in Leeds on the 28th of next month, which'll be the first time you and me have deejayed together for, oh, at least, 30 years LOL! :lol:

Looking forward to it!

Best,

Ian D biggrin.gif

Salsoul_UK_Full_Catalogue_18.1.06.doc

Social source share

Hey Screamer!

Suss'd Records was myself and my colleague Chris Barnett's label which was specifically set-up to reissue the bulk of the Salsoul catalogue in the UK and yes, we did licence "Janice" to Neil Rushton who who did the one-off 7" release for Soulvation. Looks like a nice collectors item now! I've attached an almost complete catalogue of what we reissued whilst we had the licence.

In fact this is the kind of stuff I'll be playing up in Leeds on the 28th of next month, which'll be the first time you and me have deejayed together for, oh, at least, 30 years LOL! :thumbsup:

Looking forward to it!

Best,

Ian D :lol:

Hi Ian, it's the 29th btw :-) and i'm looking forward to it too mate, should be a bubble. I'm glad that you're gonna be playing the more modern stuff, that means that i will be able to concentrate on the older stuff, much of which I prefer to be honest. Not that I don't like the modern stuff too, obviously I do cos I buy it. I thought I was right about you licencing the salsoul stuff.

There are loads of top class salsoul tracks, but apart from 'Janice', one of my other faves is 'Magic bird of fire' by 'The salsoul orch' Awesome track and I believe it is based on a classical track is it not?

A record that I think should be played at Northern gigs is 'Why leave us alone by '5 special' What a tune, I remember this from the early days of the Leeds Warehouse and it has never left me. Also 'Shirley Lites' 'Heat you up' A huge disco stomper, would go down well on the modern floors.

Respect Ian and see you on the 29th LOL

Oh and btw, I have put the Promo 12" above on the Bay if anyone is interested.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=021

Edited by steveluigi
Social source share

Hi Ian, it's the 29th btw :-) and i'm looking forward to it too mate, should be a bubble. I'm glad that you're gonna be playing the more modern stuff, that means that i will be able to concentrate on the older stuff, much of which I prefer to be honest. Not that I don't like the modern stuff too, obviously I do cos I buy it. I thought I was right about you licencing the salsoul stuff.

There are loads of top class salsoul tracks, but apart from 'Janice', one of my other faves is 'Magic bird of fire' by 'The salsoul orch' Awesome track and I believe it is based on a classical track is it not?

A record that I think should be played at Northern gigs is 'Why leave us alone by '5 special' What a tune, I remember this from the early days of the Leeds Warehouse and it has never left me. Also 'Shirley Lites' 'Heat you up' A huge disco stomper, would go down well on the modern floors.

Respect Ian and see you on the 29th LOL

Oh and btw, I have put the Promo 12" above on the Bay if anyone is interested.

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...E:IT&ih=021

G'Day Steve, i have'nt got the Skip Mahoney track and you'de need your pacemaker turned full up to dance to the 12 inch, but have you heard the version by Frank Wilson,( yes THE FRANK WILSON ) ?? It's pretty damn good and on the Traco label with promises to keep on the other side, also a good record. Yep i know it's a Levine production before all you purists arc up, but love him or hate him he did some good things for the scene before he got all stupid, Remember the Mecca?? Leave it with yas. Stay soulful, Tony E Western Australia.

Social source share

G'Day Steve, i have'nt got the Skip Mahoney track and you'de need your pacemaker turned full up to dance to the 12 inch, but have you heard the version by Frank Wilson,( yes THE FRANK WILSON ) ?? It's pretty damn good and on the Traco label with promises to keep on the other side, also a good record. Yep i know it's a Levine production before all you purists arc up, but love him or hate him he did some good things for the scene before he got all stupid, Remember the Mecca?? Leave it with yas. Stay soulful, Tony E Western Australia.

I haven't heard the FW version - or heard of it I think. Soundclip anyone?

Peter

:)

Social source share

There is a boot of Janice about as well. white lable, which i bought at Warrington Parr Hall all nighter a good few years ago. deffo a boot 12" sold by one of the *j's!!!!! at the time. Mine had a warp, did they all?

Cheers John

Guessing i've got one of these then. Just flipped it over & it's playing Eddie Holman- Night to remember. . .

Social source share

Guessing i've got one of these then. Just flipped it over & it's playing Eddie Holman- Night to remember. . .

Re. the Frank Wilson version on Traco, i played it in my set at the Ritz and Hinkley while over there last year and it had the floor packed, with the question " who was that by ".

So it ain't getting played, why, has no-one got a copy?? It's an original even if Ian Levine did have some input and has'nt been bootlegged as far as i know. So guy's grab a copy if you can and get it played in the modern rooms, you will be surprised just how good it really is...........Levine or not. It packs the floor at our soul nights in OZ and no we are not all kangaroo eating natives. Leave it with yas, see ya in September. Tony E. South West Soul, Western Australia.

Social source share

same as..

on the white label it is typed:

TEST PRESSING

COLUMBIA IND. SANTA MONICA

CALIF. USA

TITLE...........

ARTIST...........

Social source share

Yep Guys thats the one i got from Warrington Parr Hall way back, with Eddie on the other side...Even though its printed "test pressing" i am convinced they were as it says on the tin a "pressing"

Sorry to spoil it if i am correct, the consolation is i have one as well. In fact for some reason I have this on the white "pressing" the Underworld 7" the reissue with Cheaters on the other side and CD with it on!!!!

Another point, could this be the first example of a pressing/boot of a 12" single for the Northern scene? can't think of an earlier one!!

Cheers John

p.s I nearly bought the Frank Wilson version a few months ago from King Bee Records in Manchester. but when i listened to it i thought it didn't compare with old Skips original....I may buy it along with a Salsoul original t :D o complete the set :D

Edited by Nocker
Social source share

Was the Underworld label from Blackpool?

We also put out "Janice" 12" as the flip to "The Bottle" - Gil Scot Heron/Brian Jacksoon a Joe Boy 12 in lovely pic bag some years ago.

The CD version is pretty amazing, contains "The Bottle", "Janice", "I Can See Him Loving You" - The Anderson Brothers and "Ten per Cent" - Doube Exposure, thans to a deal with Charly who at the time had access to Salsoul, Strata-East,and GSF.

All the Best,

Neil

www.soulvation.biz

Social source share

Was the Underworld label from Blackpool?

We also put out "Janice" 12" as the flip to "The Bottle" - Gil Scot Heron/Brian Jacksoon a Joe Boy 12 in lovely pic bag some years ago.

The CD version is pretty amazing, contains "The Bottle", "Janice", "I Can See Him Loving You" - The Anderson Brothers and "Ten per Cent" - Doube Exposure, thans to a deal with Charly who at the time had access to Salsoul, Strata-East,and GSF.

All the Best,

Neil

www.soulvation.biz

Neil.

I bought mine at Warrington Parr Hall allnighter in the 80ts. The DJ selling them is well known on the scene, in fact he has been around since the dawn of Northern Soul!!! :yes:

and you know him very well...If you haven't guest who i will p.m you....

I do know about the JayBoy 12" and the CD as you say is spot on..great stuff.

Cheers John

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert