The Servicemen

These records can probably be dated by the dead wax codes. The Wind Hit 45 looks like a Wakefield press and should have 'sjw' or a W mark along with a 4 (or 5 digit if it's from 1968 or later) number. If someone can give me the number I can tell you the month. I have the other 45s in my collection at home (originals, not the Magicians boot) which I will check out later.

roy + dewdrops sjw 9716

Social source share

chartmaker is/must be before patheway, whick both preceed wind hit. proof-ive got none. other releases on chartmaker might proove this down to their early content-sweet magic and connie are typical of those discs that proceed doo wop influences. i need a helping hand and i can feel him slipping away both sound a little later and more in line with storming motown hits of the time, i still feel wind hit as later, are you angry prob cut at the same time but not released initialy

please someone tell me im wrong and tell me who bootlegged chartmaker magicians

someone out their must know else i'll sell my duplicate magicians for a knockdown £1000, instead of the 50 quid it could fetch on auction sites

Ady ?? kev R ??? tim brown??? john manship???

calling all

The order of releases I gave in an ealier post, source the producer/label owner

Social source share

Ok Chalky, on the subject of the Servicemen are there any better double siders than the Wind Hit and Chartmaker releases. Absolute quality.

If there are any more details about the CD release drop me a line as this group more than any other in my opinion delivered top quality music every time.I believe that they were all serving Airmen hence the name.

Regards Harry (Soulster22)

Yes, the Servicemen did have another release on the Mellow Town label under the name Royal Imperials titled 'This Heart of Mine' ... ridiculously rare and equally as good the Wind Hit / Connie releases.

Social source share

Yes, the Servicemen did have another release on the Mellow Town label under the name Royal Imperials titled 'This Heart of Mine' ... ridiculously rare and equally as good the Wind Hit / Connie releases.

Hi Andy. How do you know the servicemen are the same group as the royal imperials? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

must hear this if anyone has soundbite

also a scan

is james mitchell credited?

Social source share

• 7 years later...
27 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I know this an old thread but perhaps needs revisiting (unless it's happened again !!!)

This is Roy & The Dewdrops and under them is The Servicemen (with names)

The Servicemen photo came via myself from Larry Banks, one of the Servicemen.  Larry gave me the names.  What does it have to do with Roy & The Dewdrops?

Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I was just pointing out to the previous submitter who "thought" they may have been linked that they weren't the same group :)

I think anyone with ears can tell they are different groups. Whoever thought they were the same must have ears painted on. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Think Chalkey has done all this, plain then two cartoon releases, first flipped labels then second with tracks and labels the right way round,think that’s correct... the Royal Imperials / mellow town 45 is awesome isn’t it... better than chartmaker 45 by a long way...

fab group 🙂 

the orher track everybody supposidy wants wants on cartoon label is shit IMO, no where near as good as Mamie Lee,   Tobie bowe I think, so crap I done remember the artist name 😕 properly 

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

38 minutes ago, Soul-Slider said:

Surely it's a version of Billy Butler's 'My Heart Is Hurtin'....?????

In fact someone on another youtube clip is saying The Royal Imperials were Billy Butler & The Enchanters! I'm confused, different writing credits too!

Well now we’re talkin!  I need to hear both side by side, but the mere mention of one Mr Butler... well yalls know!!! Lol 

Social source share

I

23 hours ago, Soul-Slider said:

Surely it's a version of Billy Butler's 'My Heart Is Hurtin'....?????

In fact someone on another youtube clip is saying The Royal Imperials were Billy Butler & The Enchanters! I'm confused, different writing credits too!

Wow!!!  This song is a direct stealing of "My Heart Is Hurtin' " written by Billy Butler, and recorded by Billy Butler and The Enchanters, and released on Okeh Records in 1964.  What a nerve!  And Sylvester "Sly" Stewart produced this in L.A., and took half credit for writing it!   No way these singers are Billy Butler and The Enchanters.  Mellow Town was located in L.A. (or. at least pressed there).  Stewart worked out of The San Francisco Bay Area and L.A.  The singers sound like they could possibly be The Servicemen.  I first saw the Patheway orange release at least a year later than the Chartmaker (1966), and the Wind Hit in the late '60s (1968 or 1969).  The multi-coloured Patheway is a late '60s label (1968, 1969 or 1970?).  So, I'm convinced it was a (legitimate) later pressing (re-issue).  The dates for the Chartmaker, Mellow Town, and 2 Patheway releases should be traceable by their Delta press code numbers.  Wind Hit was a Phoenix label, and I'm not sure what plant pressed it.  The Roy & The Dew Drops looks like a Chicago pressing plant label style and font from 1969-73. 

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

This topic is the first I've heard of the Royal Imperials being the Servicemen.  It has never been mentioned in any conversation with Larry Banks.  I will ask for clarification though. Maybe Andy is getting confused with the 5 Royales track the Servicemen cut (“Right Around The Corner”) that never came out until the CD Hadley released? 

The Wind Hit tracks were recorded at Audio Recorders of Arizona in Phoenix, can't tell you where they were pressed, probably somewhere local.

The Pathway release had at least three presses, Cartoon, reversed and correct way for the labels and the orange release  (which was also booted).  My Turn was recorded October 1967 so either a late 67 or early 68 press.  Wind Hit was early 1967, their second release after the Chartmaker 45 which was the year before (April '66) and recorded the at the Bob Ross Studios, Lelandway and Vine, Los Angeles, California. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/02/2019 at 11:14, chalky said:

This topic is the first I've heard of the Royal Imperials being the Servicemen.  It has never been mentioned in any conversation with Larry Banks.  I will ask for clarification though. Maybe Andy is getting confused with the 5 Royales track the Servicemen cut (“Right Around The Corner”) that never came out until the CD Hadley released? 

The Wind Hit tracks were recorded at Audio Recorders of Arizona in Phoenix, can't tell you where they were pressed, probably somewhere local.

The Pathway release had at least three presses, Cartoon, reversed and correct way for the labels and the orange release  (which was also booted).  My Turn was recorded October 1967 so either a late 67 or early 68 press.  Wind Hit was early 1967, their second release after the Chartmaker 45 which was the year before (April '66) and recorded the at the Bob Ross Studios, Lelandway and Vine, Los Angeles, California. 

You are right in what you say Chalky,The Royal Imperials are defiantly not the Servicemen.They are Billy Butler and the enchanters,it is simply a more up tempo version of his release on Okeh. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I’ve been in touch with Larry, he has never heard of the Royal Imperials, Hadley also confirms it is not the Servicemen. 

Roy C and the Dewdrops was part of the Hadley Murrell family, someone put two and two together and got me thinks, thinking cause it is on Wind Hit it must be the Servicemen 🙄

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/02/2019 at 04:48, Wheelsville1 said:

You are right in what you say Chalky,The Royal Imperials are defiantly not the Servicemen.They are Billy Butler and the enchanters,it is simply a more up tempo version of his release on Okeh. 

Are you making a joke?  BOTH the music and the voices on The Royal Imperials' cut sound NOTHING like those on Billy Butler and The Enchanters' record.  They are another group singing someone else's song, with a different arrangement and musicians, recorded in a different studio in a different city, with the label owner changing the song's title, and placing bogus credits on the label, ostensibly to "steal" royalties. 

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

After trying to work through this thread Dave Thorley  and Robb K have said that "I Need A Helping Hand" came out on Pathway before it got released on Wind Hit. Wind Hit using the earlier recorded cut  of "Are You Angry" as the flip instead of "My Turn" as used on Pathway.

I do think the Wind Hit original look's  a little later than the orange styrene Pathway original. 

Anybody know for sure?

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, speedlimit said:

I notice that  are you angry and need a helping hand  are being reissued on wind hit

It will be Sweet Magic if it becomes a Chartmaker!!😌

Edited by Guest
Social source share

10 hours ago, speedlimit said:

I notice that are you angry and need a helping hand are being reissued on wind hit for record store Day  listed on eBay last night

Ching Ching. The sound of tills ringing up. Is it a ‘lookalike’ just to help confuse buyers even more? Two great tracks to play in the house I suppose.

Social source share

29 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Ching Ching. The sound of tills ringing up. Is it a ‘lookalike’ just to help confuse buyers even more? Two great tracks to play in the house I suppose.

At a guess Hadley Murrell probably behind it in some capacity, I will ask Larry if he has received anything. 

Edited by chalky
Social source share

46 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

If ever there was a group deserving a financial reward then the Servicemen would top the list. I hope they get something for their efforts.

I’ve let Larry know but as Hadley and James Mitchell co wrote both sides I don’t hold much hope out. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!