Whatever Happened to...?

grant

Whatever happened to good stompin' instrumentals on the scene ? Years ago djs were discovering them by the bucketloads (legit ones that is) - seem to have dried up nowadays give or take the odd one now and again. If no new ones comin along why aren't some of the class oldies spun these days - are instrumentals too fast, not hip? like to hear your views on this subject. heres just a few CRACKERS that have graced the scene over the last 25 years or so that I have been into the music.....

Derek & Ray - Interplay / Dragnet 67

Frank Foster - Harlem Rumble

Marketts - Stirring Up Some Soul

Harley Hatcher - Soul Hustler

Chaumonts - Now Youve Gone

Sounds of Lane - Tracks To Your Mind

Grant

Social source share

• Replies 19
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Whatever happened to good stompin' instrumentals on the scene ? Years ago djs were discovering them by the bucketloads (legit ones that is) - seem to have dried up nowadays give or take the odd one now and again. If no new ones comin along why aren't some of the class oldies spun these days - are instrumentals too fast, not hip? like to hear your views on this subject. heres just a few CRACKERS that have graced the scene over the last 25 years or so that I have been into the music.....

Derek & Ray - Interplay / Dragnet 67

Frank Foster - Harlem Rumble

Marketts - Stirring Up Some Soul

Harley Hatcher - Soul Hustler

Chaumonts - Now Youve Gone

Sounds of Lane - Tracks To Your Mind

Grant

Classics maybe but it's time the scene moved on a bit and embraced some newer sixties soul. Hear played out classics everyweek, get summat new on the decks!!!

One instrumental that was played at the Lifeline niter that caused some interest was the Soul-Ins on Mos-Ley.

Social source share

PROBLEM IS CHALKY A LOT OF THE NEW STUFF ON THE DECKS SEEMS SOMEWHAT 'SCRAPING THE BARREL '. SORRY TO DISAGREE MATE BUT A LOT OF THOSE TUNES ARE THE SCENES BREAD AND BUTTER. STILL REMEMBERED FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD THE CHAUMONTS ON THE DECKS? TO A LOT OF PEOPLE ON OUR SCENE NOW IT WOULD PROBABLY BE A 'NEWIE'. OH AND DANCEABLE!!

GRANT

Social source share

PROBLEM IS CHALKY A LOT OF THE NEW STUFF ON THE DECKS SEEMS SOMEWHAT 'SCRAPING THE BARREL '. SORRY TO DISAGREE MATE BUT A LOT OF THOSE TUNES ARE THE SCENES BREAD AND BUTTER. STILL REMEMBERED FOR MANY YEARS TO COME. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU HEARD THE CHAUMONTS ON THE DECKS? TO A LOT OF PEOPLE ON OUR SCENE NOW IT WOULD PROBABLY BE A 'NEWIE'. OH AND DANCEABLE!!

GRANT

Heard the Chaumonts recently actually, couple of times, 100 club and Brighton I think.

Scraping the barrell...Mmmmmmm. I was at the Lifeline niter recently and it was virtually nine and a half hours of upfront scraping the barrell soul, not an overplayed oldie in sight. Butch, Andy Dyson, Tim Brown, Cliff Steele (one of the country's most under-rated djs) and Nick Stevenson and guest Marco kept the floor rammed all night. It was the best night musically I've had in years (probably since the 80's) for Rare Soul all night!!!!

It does show that there is a market for the scaping the barrel stuff ;-) It's other venues ramming played out stuff down folks throat all the time and dancers/scene etc not progressing.

I wish there was a Lifeline all-niter everweek!!!

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

Totally agree with you Chalky.

The lifeline do was excellent musically and it's good to see the dj's pushing new tunes. I have only been a regular on the scene for about 4 years and I was fed up with the likes of togetherness and the wigan revival nights after about 18 months. God knows how some of the scenes 'veterans' feel! I may upset some people here but I find nothing inspiring about a load of people in Wigan fancy dress dancing to the same stompers week in week out.

I for certain will keep returning to the Lifeline do's while ever the policy is to keep pushing the best new finds and forgotten greats. I heard some fantastic stuff that night. A set of oldies would not have left me so inspired. The scene is big enough to cater for everyone. If you want oldies and stompers you are well catered for up and down the country. No disrespect to Grant but we all have our opinions.

Back to the topic I am not a big fan of the instrumentals. IMO they lack the heartbreak factor if you know what I mean.

Good luck to the Lifeline lads!

Shane

Social source share

Totally agree with you Chalky.

I for certain will keep returning to the Lifeline do's while ever the policy is to keep pushing the best new finds and forgotten greats. I heard some fantastic stuff that night. A set of oldies would not have left me so inspired. The scene is big enough to cater for everyone. If you want oldies and stompers you are well catered for up and down the country. No disrespect to Grant but we all have our opinions.

Back to the topic I am not a big fan of the instrumentals. IMO they lack the heartbreak factor if you know what I mean.

Good luck to the Lifeline lads!

Shane

Lifeline will only push newr sixties and seventies soul, unknown, lesser played and forgotten thinking mans (or womans oldies), nothing overplayed or oldies you hear week in week out, Mick and Andy bwant nothing else. They would sooner not promote a venue if thye had to go down the tried and tested route.

I will be there again next time, seek me out!!

As for instrumentals, I couldn't agree more, lack soul IMO. Maybe someone giving their all blowing into a sax but like you said lacks the heartbreak factor. Would sooner hear a good vocal anyday of the week and certainly haven't got time for an instrumental of a vocal.

Social source share

each to their own eh boys - by the way chalky didnt mean that ALL 'new' stuff was crap & scrapin the barrel - instrumentals were ceratinlyin the main good uptempo dance tracks, maybe i am referring back to my old acrobatice splits et al days !! it also does depend on venues/audience. Also Butch has been my fave dj for the last 16 yrs or so but it doesnt mean i have to like every new discovery he spins - or any one elses for that matter. went to a gig just before xmas, wont say which one cos unfair, and a dj (not mentioning his name either - poor sod) played an hour spot of very obscure (prob v rare) stuff to an empty dancefloor. some of the tunes were great, mostly midtempo detroity stuff, didnt catch any names as he didnt speak a word into the mike, dancefloor was empty for a full hour with people looking around at each other in amazement. dj didnt notice as he didnt even look up - had his nose stuck in his 'coveted' collection. Collector maybe - dj not! The guy running the event (and an oldies/newies dj) rescued the night by playing some good underplayed oldies. So yes I agree with you in some ways but this isnt Top of The BLEEDIN Pops - we dont need 'new releases every week, but we dont want to hear Frank Wilson, Moses Smith, Majestics evry week either but there are some brilliant very underplayed 'oldies' out there that would be first time listens to many people. Classic example is the one Ive posted on here a few times that many djs havent even heard before The Legends 'Deep Inside'. As for the Chaumonts - not heard it for years anywhere, maybe missing something about the scene up North (DOUBT IT). Sorry if this doesnt read right but just get a bit pissed off with some views from time to time. Only asked what has happened to good instrumentals these days.

Grant

P.S. Did hear an awful instr. of Take Away The Pain Stain' the other day.

Social source share

In admit there is some shit played Grant, always has been always will be. I admit I don't want to hear the likes of Frank Wilson at all wjhen I go out. Heard it enough over the last 20 years. I do agree there is some great forgotten oldies and some great cheap stuff beggin to be played.

Butch is my fave too, always has been and me too haven't liked everything he's played. He did play an instrumental a while back but can't for the life of me think what it was. Not heard him play the Jean Wells instrumental either in a while.

Think the Soul-Ins instrumental needs playing too (and this from someone who doesn't like them). The Soul Ins is the backing to Katie Briggs "Last Time Around". Not an oout and out dancer in the like chaumonts and Frank Foster but it did create quite a stir at Sheridans.

Andy Dyson just picked an unknown instrumental up too, again forget what it's called, will get the details next time I'm there.

As forr "Up North" spend most of my time down South as thats where my girlfriend lives, I only come home in the week.

Social source share

HI CHALKY

WASNT HAVIN A POP, BUT WE DO AGREE ON OVERPLAYED OLDIES! SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO AN OLDIS VS NEWIES DEBATE. NO-ONE WILL EVER WIN THAT ONE. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THE 2 INSTR. YOU HAVE POSTED HERE. ON THE SUBJECT OF BUTCH, I HAVE A CRAP TAPE RECORDING OF HIM PLAYING A SUPERB TRACK I THINK AT GT YARMOUTH W/ENDER CIRCA 1988. WHAT A TUNE, BUT DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS, NEVER HEARD IT SINCE, QUITE UPTEMPO, FEMALE - SOME OF THE LYRICS....

...JUST LIKE THE WEATHER....

... WE'LL BE FALLING IN LOVE...FALLING IN LOVE........

ENDS WITH 'FALLING IN LOVE' BEING REPEATED WITH THE ODD 'OOOOO' BY BACKING FEMALE SINGERS...

I KNOW NOT MUCH TO GO ON , WILL HAVE TO DIG IT OUT , OH IT HAS A DRUM BREAK IN THE MIDDLE!

GRANT

Social source share

HI CHALKY

WASNT HAVIN A POP, BUT WE DO AGREE ON OVERPLAYED OLDIES! SEEMS TO HAVE TURNED INTO AN OLDIS VS NEWIES DEBATE. NO-ONE WILL EVER WIN THAT ONE. WOULD LIKE TO HEAR THE 2 INSTR. YOU HAVE POSTED HERE. ON THE SUBJECT OF BUTCH, I HAVE A CRAP TAPE RECORDING OF HIM PLAYING A SUPERB TRACK I THINK AT GT YARMOUTH W/ENDER CIRCA 1988. WHAT A TUNE, BUT DONT KNOW WHAT IT IS, NEVER HEARD IT SINCE, QUITE UPTEMPO, FEMALE - SOME OF THE LYRICS....

...JUST LIKE THE WEATHER....

... WE'LL BE FALLING IN LOVE...FALLING IN LOVE........

ENDS WITH 'FALLING IN LOVE' BEING REPEATED WITH THE ODD 'OOOOO'  BY BACKING FEMALE SINGERS...

I KNOW NOT MUCH TO GO ON , WILL HAVE TO DIG IT OUT , OH IT HAS A DRUM BREAK IN THE MIDDLE!

GRANT

Hi Grant, I know you wasn't have a pop so don't worry :-)

Yarmouth, now they were good weekenders!!!! Great venue and some great artists, still got most of the flyers etc.

Totally shite with lyrics so not much help there to you, sorry ;-)

Will try and sort summat with the instrumentals for you.

Social source share

CHALKY

MAYBE DONT GET AROUND AS MUCH AS I USED TO IN GOOD OLD DAYS, FAMILY ETC. BUT STILL QUITE UP ON RECENT - RECENTISH STUFF. ANYWAY IF I DIG OUT THAT TAPE WITH BUTCH TRACK CAN I SEND U A COPY OF IT - I'M SURE YOULL PROB KNOW THE TUNE.

GRANT

Social source share

CHALKY

MAYBE DONT GET AROUND AS MUCH AS I USED TO IN GOOD OLD DAYS, FAMILY ETC. BUT STILL QUITE UP ON RECENT - RECENTISH STUFF. ANYWAY IF I DIG OUT THAT TAPE WITH BUTCH TRACK CAN I SEND U A COPY OF IT - I'M SURE YOULL PROB KNOW THE TUNE.

GRANT

Of course you can Grant. If I don't know or can't remember I'll play it to Butch or Andy Dyson.

Social source share

chalky - email me your address and will send copy of tape of the track i am on about

grant@rankin3481.freeserve.co.uk

best grant

Sent off list Grant, cheers.

Few intsrumentals over the weekend at Prestatyn. Two that stand out Detroit Rhythm Section - Backstreet and Butch's instrumental to Walter Wilson on Wand I think.

Social source share

hi chalky - will try and get copy out to you this week.  - that detroit rythmn section brings back memories - used to be played around the mid-80's.

GRANT

Ok Grant cheers.

Det Rhythm Section old Guy spin at Stafford. David Flynn played it at the weekend.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!