The Wilton Ballroom

Another great night at this venue, Great start 2100hr :thumbup: (a bit early for some)with Mr Chris Holmes and Gerry Brown the punters that came in after they had finished sorry but you mist one of those rare appearences of Chris. Then Mr Box carring it on. Nice to see Mouse celibrating 29th again, great bloke. The chaps from ull were on form, enjoying the bar as per, with there Mrs's :thumbsup:  see ya on Friday. Saus was excelent along with the Karls, Soul Sam and Roger Banks, by this time the place was buzzin as the Wilton Buzziz. The raffle prize, I want one of those pictures, as well as one of the Lambo 40GBP advert for Jayne. I never won it. I look forward to the next one 5th Sept

Andy H 

• Replies 24
  • Views 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Another great night at this venue, Great start 2100hr :sleep3: (a bit early for some)with Mr Chris Holmes and Gerry Brown the punters that came in after they had finished sorry but you mist one of those rare appearences of Chris. Then Mr Box carring it on. Nice to see Mouse celibrating 29th again, great bloke. The chaps from ull were on form, enjoying the bar as per, with there Mrs's :thumbup: see ya on Friday. Saus was excelent along with the Karls, Soul Sam and Roger Banks, by this time the place was buzzin as the Wilton Buzziz. The raffle prize, I want one of those pictures, as well as one of the Lambo 40GBP advert for Jayne. I never won it. I look forward to the next one 5th Sept

Andy H

Andy

Yep great night,all dj's should take a bow as they all did brilliant sets with Karl Rhodes just shading it for me.Can't remember when I went to a nighter with such varied music which I thought worked really well.Along with top quality music the usual laugh a minute with the Wilton faithful,so can't wait for the next on in September.

Well done Mouse,Dave & Jerry.

Cheers

Martyn

PS See you Friday in sunny Hull :g::rolleyes:

www.hullsoulclub.com

What can I say Gent's, other than we travelled back from Mansfield for this & until Sam came on at what ever time, followed by Karl Heard etc, it just didn't do it for me or ring my bell, infact it's the only time I've not hit the dancefloor once at least during the night. :g:

I'm not moaning (Much) & we're all used to the "Wilton Wilt" :thumbup: round about 3-4am normally, when the music tends to slow & become a little like "Death Dirges" but it happened a lot earlier this time & round & about people were commenting & also quite a few preparing to leave. I know it's a thankless task promoting Guy's & I know you can't please all the people all of the time but we'll be back to the Old Wilton with hit & miss attendances, which is no good for anyone, specially you Guy's. :sleep3::g:

I'm not having a punt, I'm just stating fact & what I heard, I love the place & the people who frequent it & most of the music but we'd have headed home if Sam had not come on but bear in mind we didn't arrive till almost midnight & I'm not discounting ALL the music played till Sam took to the decks & it won't stop us being at the next one either.

Take care,be safe & remember,"It's an observation, not an attack",

Spot. :rolleyes:

Edited by spot

What can I say Gent's, other than we travelled back from Mansfield for this & until Sam came on at what ever time, followed by Karl Heard etc, it just didn't do it for me or ring my bell, infact it's the only time I've not hit the dancefloor once at least during the night. :g:

I'm not moaning (Much) & we're all use to the "Wilton Wilt" :thumbup: round about 3-4am normally, when the music tends to slow & become a little like "Death Dirges" but it happened a lot earlier this time & round & about people were commenting & also quiet a few preparing to leave. I know it's a thankless task promoting Guy's & I know you can't please all the people all of the time but we'll be back to the Old Wilton with hit & miss attendances, which is no good for anyone, specially you Guy's. :sleep3::g:

I'm not having a punt, I'm just stating fact & what I heard, I love the place & the people who frequent it & most of the music but we'd have headed home if Sam had not come on but bear in mind we didn't arrive till almost midnight & I'm not discounting ALL the music played till Sam took to the decks & it won't stop us being at the next one either.

Spot. :rolleyes:

Spot

You hit the nail on the head for the boys running it?I come from the completely other direction I thought Sam was a little predictable (which again like yourself is not an attack but my opinion) & the other dj's were a bit more imaginative & tried to vary things which I like,it's wasn't all perfect all the time but no night is.So that's why it's a thankless task for the boys as we both have opinions (& we can have them doing the traveling around the country we do) that are poles apart.The common factor is we love Wilton because it's always trying to push the envelope & the soon people start supporting as we do the better.

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

I'm sorry to say this, but i didn't hear one single track that I've never heard before that made me think "What the fooks this?"

IMO way too much crossover for the sake of crossover, out and out tricky disco records, and some very, very safe selections from Sam and Saus.

Roger played a far too midtempo set for my liking.

Jerry managed to pull it around a bit at the end, but for me it was too little too late.

It's getting to be purely a social thing for me again, so if there's going to be something to tickle my fancy on a Saturday night, then the Wiltons going to get the old spanish archer.

Joe

I can see exactly where you & Spot are coming from but some the stuff the two Karl's played was excellent especially some of Karl Rhodes Latin influenced stuff & Karl Heard up-tempo 60t's tunes.Yes Saus played a bit of a Wilton oldies set in parts (but he did play the brilliant Mary Smith) & I thought by Roger's standards he played a little safe & there was the odd dodgy disco track but if you are trying to play some different things you aren't going to get it perfect all the time & all I'm saying is the good certainly out weighed the few lesser tunes played for me.I think the Wilton is a big social night for alot of us as we've all been going that long but again that's a positive point for me not a detraction.As only Wilton can do,it will brilliant for you boys next time and a bit iffy for me :g::rolleyes:

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

PS Can anyone help with the title of a track Bob Hinsley played by Raphael Saadiq

Joe

I can see exactly where you & Spot are coming from but some the stuff the two Karl's played was excellent especially some of Karl Rhodes Latin influenced stuff & Karl Heard up-tempo 60t's tunes.Yes Saus played a bit of a Wilton oldies set in parts (but he did play the brilliant Mary Smith) & I thought by Roger's standards he played a little safe & there was the odd dodgy disco track but if you are trying to play some different things you aren't going to get it perfect all the time & all I'm saying is the good certainly out weighed the few lesser tunes played for me.I think the Wilton is a big social night for alot of us as we've all been going that long but again that's a positive point for me not a detraction.As only Wilton can do,it will brilliant for you boys next time and a bit iffy for me :g::rolleyes:

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

PS Can anyone help with the title of a track Bob Hinsley played by Raphael Saadiq

it would be boring if we had 10 hours of the same music as we all have slightly different taste (thank god) & at some point at any venue it might be not at all to our taste ( but alot better than sitting in a pub/club listening to meatloaf /rap etc)We have a great scene so lets all enjoy it before where to old to!

Daryl

ps keep up the good work & i am not having a go at any one personally.

Joe

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Hi Martyn it was probably 'Love That Girl' from his forthcoming album. Think Bob's had a cut of this for some time

Hope that helps

BazM

9th ANNIVERSARY ALL-NIGHTER FRIDAY 1st AUGUST 9pm - 6am - TSOP The Sound Of Prestwich at THE LONGFIELD SUITE RECTORY LANE, PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER TWO ROOMS OF PURE SOUL MAGIC Featuring Ginger Taylor - Terry Davies - Kenny Burrell - Mick H - Flanny - Nige Brown - Bob Hinsley Plus in the Modern Room Colin Curtis - Mike Stevens - Roger Williams Baz Maleady - and Geoff Allman VERY Late Bar Admission £10.00

Hi Martyn it was probably 'Love That Girl' from his forthcoming album. Think Bob's had a cut of this for some time

Hope that helps

BazM

9th ANNIVERSARY ALL-NIGHTER FRIDAY 1st AUGUST 9pm - 6am - TSOP The Sound Of Prestwich at THE LONGFIELD SUITE RECTORY LANE, PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER TWO ROOMS OF PURE SOUL MAGIC Featuring Ginger Taylor - Terry Davies - Kenny Burrell - Mick H - Flanny - Nige Brown - Bob Hinsley Plus in the Modern Room Colin Curtis - Mike Stevens - Roger Williams Baz Maleady - and Geoff Allman VERY Late Bar Admission £10.00

Baz

Thanks for that,that'll be the one.Sounded great,first time I've heard it..........I think :g:

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Hope that helps

BazM

9th ANNIVERSARY ALL-NIGHTER FRIDAY 1st AUGUST 9pm - 6am - TSOP The Sound Of Prestwich at THE LONGFIELD SUITE RECTORY LANE, PRESTWICH, MANCHESTER TWO ROOMS OF PURE SOUL MAGIC Featuring Ginger Taylor - Terry Davies - Kenny Burrell - Mick H - Flanny - Nige Brown - Bob Hinsley Plus in the Modern Room Colin Curtis - Mike Stevens - Roger Williams Baz Maleady - and Geoff Allman VERY Late Bhttps://www.myspace.com/raphaelsaadiqar Admission £10.00

https://www.myspace.com/raphaelsaadiq Hi all trythis Not bad.

Daryl

What can I say Gent's, other than we travelled back from Mansfield for this & until Sam came on at what ever time, followed by Karl Heard etc, it just didn't do it for me or ring my bell, infact it's the only time I've not hit the dancefloor once at least during the night. g.gif

I'm not moaning (Much) & we're all used to the "Wilton Wilt" :D round about 3-4am normally, when the music tends to slow & become a little like "Death Dirges" but it happened a lot earlier this time & round & about people were commenting & also quite a few preparing to leave. I know it's a thankless task promoting Guy's & I know you can't please all the people all of the time but we'll be back to the Old Wilton with hit & miss attendances, which is no good for anyone, specially you Guy's. :thumbup::)

Spot. :lol:

I agree totally pete ! I was very dissapointed with music, way too much crossover etc.

i dont think i have ever left an allnighter before the end before but it was too little too late, IMO .

has so much potential this venue, dont waste it.

that said i will try again !

Guest Trevski

As Joe said, this has sadly become a social, rather than a music venue for me also of late. Uninspired by it at the mo' and agree too much 'wishy washy' crossover. I like a bit of modern, but not the bland stuff I heard on Friday.(better suited to city-center nite clubs and people on the pull...) Best tune-Karl Rhodes' spin of the female vocal version of 'Just because'. Don't think the early start works, only encourages the 'drift'. Never missed a Wilton since I don't know when, but I am going to give it a rest for a while.

Edited by Trevski

first time ive heard the guy too played some real quality tunes, detroit sounds of friction ,,saints ,,etc enjoyed his set ...cliff

really enjoyed daves play's, top man in my book, also thought dave box's set was the best i've heard him play :D

never gonna please every one at a one room event, dj's play hour sets, if it's not your thing that's getting played, maybe the next set will float your boat.

will def' be at the next one.

Guest Biggie G

I enjoyed Wilton as always on Friday. A nice mix of music and styles by all the dj's from Latin to Crossover to RnB.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers

Gareth

Guest Biggie G

can tell you dont get out much biggrin.gif ...only kidding :thumbsup:

Your'e a cheeky get :ohmy: Might even get over to the Hideaway this weekend.

Gareth

didnt make it this time........some old concerns re appearing , from trevski in particular, very rare for him to critisise the wilton in any way ....... i still love the people and the place, still on my calender,not everytime tho , this venue atracts more comment on the music played than most so at least its still controversial, a good sign imo. its up to the promoters to take it in the direction they want and see how it developes , there puttin up the dosh,, cheers ezzie

didnt make it this time........some old concerns re appearing , from trevski in particular, very rare for him to critisise the wilton in any way ....... i still love the people and the place, still on my calender,not everytime tho , this venue atracts more comment on the music played than most so at least its still controversial, a good sign imo. its up to the promoters to take it in the direction they want and see how it developes , there puttin up the dosh,, cheers ezzie

I agree, great place, a great social get together, smile.gif ...but do what i do,if you dont like the music,dont go ph34r.gif

I'm sorry to say this, but i didn't hear one single track that I've never heard before that made me think "What the fooks this?"

IMO way too much crossover for the sake of crossover, out and out tricky disco records, and some very, very safe selections from Sam and Saus.

Roger played a far too midtempo set for my liking.

Jerry managed to pull it around a bit at the end, but for me it was too little too late.

Afraid I have to agree on this one. Sam started with 'Sweet Memories' and continued with the bloody 'Primers', Papa Bear and Margaret Little. It was like the set he was doing 5 or 6 years ago. Why? he has a load of brilliant tunes that he Never plays! It was a mostly oldies night. Wilton is known for being exciting and adventurous in its music and ive had great nights there, so lets get back on 'track' (no pun intended).

Next line up looks great and I hope they go for it 'big time'! thumbsup.gif

I like the Wilton and only say this because I care. But, it is just my personal opinion. smile.gif

p.s. I forgot to say that the two Karls played some interesting stuff.

Edited by paul-s

Hi

Karl has asked me to post his playlist............so here goes.

Karl Heard play list and not in exact order! The Hoggs...A dirty can you get...C/u Shine...Sho'Bout to drive me wild...Pulsar Moses Smith...Come on let me love you...Cottillion The Adventurers...A good girl is hard to find...Compass The Endeavors...I know you don't want me...(test pressing) Rudy Love & the Company of soul...Suffering Wrath...Canyon The Black eyed Peas...Smallest man alive...Ultra-City Little Gregory and the Concepts...Get Away...Lompri Contours...Cannot do without your love...(un-issued) Judy Freeman...Hold on...Rca Mama's Boy...Mama come and get...Mos-Ley Little Suzy ... I've had enough....C/u Hank Hodge...One way love...Eye Otto & the Sensations...Girl we can make it...Cti The Notations...Trying my best to find her...Tad Nick Allen...Hard way to go...Walas Jackie Beaver... love that never grows old...Revilot (request) Johnny McCall...I need you...Alteen (request) Oscar Perry...Face Reality...Feron Wendel Western...Nag On Me...Soul Source Lynn Daye...Boiling Point...Sonni Buck Kalu...Funky Fever... Showcase Hines & Taylor...Still on my mind...C/u

Best Karl H (can't remember anymore?)

Looks good to me.

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Guest Marcelle

Sorry its a bit late but late is always better then never laugh.gif

Well after reading the previous posts im going to sound like a real old bore, but I totally enjoyed myself all night !

Yes some tunes played have been played before & some that I hadnt heard. :huh: but I went there as I go to every venue knowing that this will happen, but thats ok for me. Because I still get a thrill out of dancing to records that melted me the first time I heard them & as I dont have "these" at home the only time I am going to get that pleasure is when im out .....

Also the differance for me now is that I am now able to hear & appreaciate DJs "full sets" (if I so choose) which is an important part for me.

I dont want to go a nighter & hear "all" tunes that I have not heard before I want to go & listen to some I know & are to "my taste" (oh words of wisdom from my wise nana laugh.gif ) & some that I dont know, & Friday gave me that, (aswell as sore legs the next day)

I enjoyed listening & dancing all night, & its been a long time since I have been able to go home still singing & dancing in my head, so thank you all for a greatnight out IMVHO ....

Now as for tune of the night well I was priveledged to hear it ages ago & have heard it loads of times :huh:laugh.gif well maybe a few times :thumbup:

but it still makes me melt now what is it called oh no I have forgotten (JOKING) "JUST BECASUSE" thanks Mr Rhodes what super taste you have :shades: