Pete Lawson - Remembered

Another part of a busy weekend. Well done Joan, great venue, great music from all and a moving tribute to the man. Great to meet Mel and chat about the U.S. and to see old faces not seen for a long time. Sorry had to leave early hope every one carried on having a good time.

A couple of people tell me that there is a regular event at this venue, what a great place, ideal for soul nights. If your local get along and support it.

Once again Joan, all your hard work was well worth it.

Dave

• Replies 25
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

What a day!!! Possibly the best soul night I have been to in years!!!

Mind blowing music, ultra rare, current biggies, underplayed oldies and a few unknowns!!! What more could you ask for!!!

A fitting tribute to Pete, he would have been proud. Joan you did an outstanding job and it was worth all your efforts and hard work, fantastic!!!

THE WHOLE DAY WAS FANTASTIC,FROM LEAVING THE NORTH EAST BOOKING INTO THE HOTEL AND THEN MEETING UP WITH SO MANY OLD FRIENDS AND FACES FROM BACK IN THE DAY.THIS WAS A VERY WORTHY NIGHT AND IT WAS AN HONOUR AND A PRIVELEDGE TO SPIN A FEW SOUNDS IN PETES MEMORY.

JOAN WAS THE DRIVING FORCE ALL DONE WITH GREAT FINESSE AND HER USUAL INFECTIOUS ENTHUSIASM,WELL DONE GIRL.GOT TO SAY THE FUN ME COL DENHAM,GAZ SIMONS AND KEV KANE HAD WAS UNBELIEVABLE,GREAT TO GET AWAY WITH THE JOLLY BOYS.THE MUSIC WELL SAY NO MORE WE HAD A FANTASTIC NIGHT.

BAZ A :g:

What can I say!

Well done Joan & Tony, you pulled off a blinder, a day/night spent with some of the scenes finest reprobates listening to great music, from a somewhat shaky start cutting my head open on Tefs' car door, the drive to see Chuddy in Chester Hospital, walk in the door and it's Blue Nose Mel & Martin Mailer at the bar, the stories were soon flowing thick and fast...say no more! :) Geoff Buckley, Chris Jones, Baz.A Col Denham, Mickey C, Red Spot Paul, Julie Molloy, Phil Worrel, Alison, Deb Troops, Little Anne, The Butlers,Jo Brock (don't mention revells) Ian Cunliife, Brian Rae, Whoops! Kirsty, Mr Thorley, Jock, Tommy from Ormskirk, the Northampton Massif (see ya next week!), big Louis rictic 104, Shense and all the other soul sisters and brothers I rambled to, and of course Sharon & Tef.

Tony & Jet

Edited by Tony Smith

What a fantastic nite the music was superb from all DJ,s atmosphere was electric and meeting up with so many

nice people what more can you ask for..thats what its been about all these years yip it dont come

much better than last nite great to see all my old buddies from Ormskirk aka the Pete Lawson early years he he

it was a pleasure to DJ with Cliff Steel what teriffic tunes he played and such a nice guy ..

Well done to Joan for putting on such a great tribute to my mate ive missed Pete over the years but i bet he

was lookin in on it with a big daft grin on his face, thanks to everyone for making it such a special nite

xxx Ian Cunliffe & Jane xxx

Edited by IANCSLOFT

Now I know I'm a miserable bleeder at the best of times and had I to leave earlier than I would have liked but there was something about last night, musically, that absolutely hit the spot for me; honestly, most I've enjoyed a night in about 20 yrs :D

As has already been said Joan, really top marks hon for all your efforts and to everyone who played the tunes, turned up and generally contributed to what I thought was a magic night. Loads of old faces, no ars*s, egos etc etc etc. Just proper - absolutely loved it!

Phil T

Guest Spinning Vinyl

What a top night, Cant reiterate whats been said allready, but top draw night all round, the real Dogs Doo Dars :D Thanks for that Joan, all the DJs and Attendees, really enjoyed it to the max :D

WHAT A REFRESHING CHANGE............and not a woodpecker in the place! We both thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, and the record content was to me a million miles away from the norm. Records like:

• The Soul Shakers - Get hip to yourself.

• Willie Tee - I'm only a man.

• Seashells - Quit home.

• Tony Hestor - Watch yourself.

• Billy Kennedy - Sweet things.

have always done it for me, and in the main don't get the plays they deserve, which brings us to Pete Lawson, who also got little credit for his enthusiasm. discoveries, and for just being HIMSELF. Many thanks to Joan and all the attendees & DJ's for making it so special, you did the guy proud. :D

Best Regards, Ritchie & Ann Andrew.

I would just like to say a huge thank you to everybody for making Saturday night a truly fantastic tribute to one of the scene's true characters.

Pete Lawson was a formidable character, loud, brash, caring, truthful, (sometimes to the point of being brutal), shy, intimidating (to some), knowledgeable, reliable, unreliable, sharing, creative, intelligent, soulful, but more than anything, Pete was Pete. Love him or not, he was what he was, and that was one of the many things I admired him for.

No one loved soul music like Pete Lawson. It was what he lived for. All he wanted was his music and someone to love and to love him. Although with Pete, he didn't always make that an easy thing to do. Something he recognised in himself.

I have to say, Saturday was about the most stressful thing I have ever done. A thousand time more stressful than my degree! It was just so important to me that everything was perfect, something I now know was impossible.

The day wasn't without its 'Pete' moments.

Pete moment #1 - Micky pointed out I had spelt Stewart wrong on the cd listing. "I HAVE NOT" I replied, because I knew for certain that I had typed it in correctly. But there it was - Stuart and not Stewart. I just couldn't understand why. Then it hit me - the bloody spell checker on my computer had amended it!

Pete moment #2 - The speaker blowing. It wasn't until afterwards when I was packing everything up that I realised the speaker blowing was actually a God send. Or should that be Pete send?

The woman in charge of the bar came up to me and said the reason she kept asking us to turn the music down was because when the locals feel the music is too loud they just ring the police who then come out and put a stop to everything straight away. No if's or but's. So I'd like to think it was Pete looking out for us.

Anyway, it was a fantastic night, better than I ever could have hoped for.

My utmost respect and thanks to all the DJ's - Dave Thorley, Paul Hamer, Little Tommy, Netty, Azza, Tony Foster, Craig Butler, Tony Brookes, Jock O' Connor, Paul Sadot, Teff, (who I abandoned to have a breakdown outside) Cliff Steele, Ian Cunliffe, Baz Atkinson, Gaz Simon, Brian Rae, Nigel, Chico & Mark. Each and every one of which put their hearts and so much thought into the records they played, so from the bottom of my heart thank you.

Sadly, Pete had no idea how highly people thought of him in life - he sure knows now though.

WHAT A REFRESHING CHANGE............

Well said Ritchie, my sentiment's exactly, great day, music for everyone, Brian and Nige played some old underplayed Wheel tune's that had the floor bursting

at the seam's :thumbsup: , and the quality of double decking by all the dj's was some of the best i've heard thumbup.gif .

Joan, great job in organizing this 'well done lass' thumbup.gif , all your hard work paid off in big style 'enjoy the flower's', the bunch was nearly as big as you :thumbsup: .

Willie

Edited by Soulgrit

Just got to agree with everything that has been said so far----absolutely tremendous night, congratulations to Joan and Tony for putting it all together!

Thanks to Joan for including me in the DJ line up, it was an absolute privilege to be part of such a brilliant night.

Petes brother Hedley has asked me to pass on his thanks to Joan and Tony as well as everyone who attended and all the DJs who contributed to this memorable event.

Well, its all been said. I have to say it was, in every way, one of the best soul events I have been to since the 80's. The people, the music, the dancing, THE ATMOSPHERE in that room, was a stark reminder of what the scene was......like minded people cracking on and celebrating life and 'soul'.

And, thanks to Joans hard work and love, we were celebrating one of the scenes 'true souls' and I dont think it could have been done any better. It was a glimpse of why we did it and it touched my heart and soul.

The dj's were faultless and for me it was a privaledge to be included and to end up behind the decks with Jock was the icing on the cake.

Once again a massive thanks to Joan, a very soulful lady and a great friend. Oh, yes and lets not forget Mr T! smile.gif

Can only echo Paul's sentiments, loved DJing together, it just seemed to click, but especially about Joans work and sentiment behind this.

Every one remembers people in different ways, and therefore this wasn't for everyone, but for those of us there, it was perfect, plenty laughs (Pete was ample proof that chinstrokers had fun and knew how to enjoy being out despite the ridiculous statements to the contrary that appear on here daily these days) a few tears, but just great memories, one thing you can't take away, although many try and steal them as their own.

Pete was loveable, difficult, a twat, a genuine honest human being - sometimes all at once but not always, but Saturday reminded me he was a mate, and reminded me for a number of reasons cherish those mates while you still can.

Joan you are a diamond, it was a great day.

I can only echo what has already been said, it was a brilliant night full of people who were all there for the right reason, to celebrate the really fun times that Pete gave us. A couple of highlights for me were Dave Thorley's really heartfelt reflective on Pete, which captured the reason that we were there, and the end of night's presentation to Joan for the great hard work that she had put in to make the night so special and really memorable.

The top quality music that was played showed that everyone had really thought about the tunes that stirred Pete, and that's what really brought the night to life.

It was magical, and I'm sure it'll be remembered as a real tribute night to one of our scene's best loved guys.

Joan you are vey special.

A couple of highlights for me were Dave Thorley's really heartfelt reflective on Pete, which captured the reason that we were there, and the end of night's presentation to Joan for the great hard work that she had put in to make the night so special and really memorable.

Daves words were very honest and moving.

highlights for me were Dave Thorley's really heartfelt reflective on Pete, which captured the reason that we were there

Absolutely!

I only wish Dave could have been on later so everyone could have heard what he had to say.

It was funny, truthful and extremely moving. He captured the essence of Pete perfectly.

Guest Brocky

What a fantastic nite a real tributre to Pete. Joan you were a star. Thank you so much for organising the nite.

Brilliant to see so many faces there.

Tony - I didn't mention the Revells words did I?

The music was the best I've heard in ages, everyone I spoke to thought so, a big big thanks to all the dj's.

Pete touched so many of our lives, he was a larger than life character and I have to say the scene changed when he died, it was good to be there to celebrate our missed soul.

Martyn aka United Sounds Of Soul - Holmes Chapel. A Big Big thanks for bringing me copies of Pete's Gospel According To Dave Godin mags.

Jo