pages "heartaches and pain"

hello there i have a mint original (not a dodgy boot thats been known to be about) of "pages "heartaches and pain" sunstruck 7"

i would prefer good modern/crossover trades, but if not will accept offers,

cheers

please email info@sickboy.uk.com

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 21
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest James Trouble

Are the copies with the smudged label an original, a second pressing or a booty? Sound quality on mine with the smudged label is fantastic, 70s vinyl by the feel of it, but the label is smudged. I have a good ear for bootleg pressings, and this one certainly sounds like it's the real deal. I could be wrong though?

Seems to be mixed opinions on this...

Can someone please fill me in with the full story?

Social source share

Yes its quite easy to tell the boots from the real ones:

The real one has an Ochre (yellow/orange) label

The boots have a pale yellow/lemon label

Hope that helps!

Louise xxx

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It certainly doesn't sound like a boot. Does anybody have John Manships bootleg guide at hand?

I'll scan my copy for you all to have a look at, and if it is a booty (I won't be happy because the person who sold it to me sold it as an original), I'd better have sickboy's copy off him!

Social source share

Twenty one years ago or so ( when I was five, cough, cough) I bought a copy of Pat Brady at Cleethorpes for about £2 and I've always consdered it a boot because of the price. The label texture is pited in places like moon craters. At the very bottom it says '' a division of TB&C Inc'' and the letters 'Inc' have a blob/streak of red print across them. Does the ''original'' have any of these?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I got mine as part of a swap deal for a white demo (british) of Barbara Mcnair. I was assured it was the original, and after reading JMs bootleg guide I still believe to be an original.

The writing on mine is perfect apart from one tiny red spec in the writing on the bottom of the label. The guide says the boots have smudged writing, and originals have very clear writing. As for the diferent shades of yellow, I wouldnt have a clue. What is ochre?? And to confuse what Louise said a bit, mine seems to be a very bright pale yellow? Can that happen. Sorry I know thats not helping much, but it does seem to rest on the writing being smudgy or not.

It would be good to have decent photos in the guide but that would make it way too expensive I guess.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sorry I was a bit vague. I meant to say my copy has a smudge exactly like Hippo's, but the label is not bumpy or pitted.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

My label has kind of been printed twice, not smudged. And the sound quality, as I said, is BOSS, not like a 70s bootleg at all.

I really must scan that label for you, this is bugging me...

Social source share

Right, time to put in my two shillings worth!!

My first sighting of the Pages 45 dates back to 1982. The few copies that were around were yellow labels, usually of poor quality with surface bumps or slightly blurred red lettering. The single was originally a 1978 release, and I never ever saw this in quantity, or on re-issue lists, so I am led to believe that this was never bootlegged; just that all the originals are poor quality by sight. Even at that time, the going rate on them was about £5 - £8 each.

Dunno what JM's bootleg guide says; is it included?

Gene

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Gene. Yes I did say in my first post. The guide says it is a boot if the writing is blurred, while the original has sharp writing.

The dead wax on both are the same.

I have one in between it seems. My writing is clear, but has the same mark as Hippo's, but the label is good quality with no bumps etc.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Is everyone going to Prestatyn?

Shall we have a pages reunion?? All bring our copies along. Campare and contrast??

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

My mate Ian's is the same as mine (sharp letters, just double printed, and very high sound quality), but his is slightly off center as well!

I'm going to Prestatyn, I'll try and remember to bring mine along.

How shall we meet? I guess text message, or Sam (or Rob) Messre would know where I am. I'm bringing a record deck so we could compare sound quality as well, as surely a bootleg would have inferior sound, especially on a 70s/80s booty?

This needs an answer, and fingers crossed we'll get to the bottom of it this weekend!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I know them. Not sure if they know me or not.

I will bring it with me. Feeling a bit nervous now. Wouldnt be the first boot I have been stitched up with. But I do trust the guy I did the swap with.

Social source share

Guest micksmith

I WOULD TEND TO BELEIVE THAT "IT" GIRL LOUISE. SHE'S GOT A FANTASTIC KNOWLEDGE OF 70S AND A GREAT COLLECTION.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Dont doubt it Mick. Just not up on what differentiates Ochre from ...well whichever colour is similar.

Social source share

I'll go with Louise on this one,

Orig is darker yellow almost orange

boot is pale

Why don't you post a scan for us top check?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

THE FEELING OF PANIC AND PARANOIA OVER THIS IS OVERWHELMING!!!!!!!!!

PERHAPS A COVER VERSION OF THE SONG IS CALLED FOR, CHANGING THE LYRICS TO.....

"COUNTERFEITS AND BOOTS GET ME DOWN,OH"!!!!!!!!!!!!.........................:-)

Social source share

Guest micksmith

IF EVERYONE BRINGS THERE COPY TO PRESTATYN THERE WILL BE SO MANY OF THEM THAT IT WONT BE CLASSIFIED AS RARE SO LEAVE THEM AT HOME CAUSE IT AINT THAT GOOD ANYWAY. CONCERNING ORCHE I THOUGHT SHE RAN A CHAT SHOW.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!