Bailey's Doncaster 75

Anyone remember the alldayers that were held at the old Baileys nightclub in Doncaster around mid 75?? Travelled up from Peterborough for em.Seemed to be most of the Nottingham, Derby area soulies there. Can't remember much about the venue or the decor and i think we used to park in a multistory across the road. Just jogging the old memory after 30 odd years. Stay soulful, Tony E. OZ.

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 20
  • Views 6.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Andy Newbold

As I don't visit as often as I'd like to I'll chuck me ten peneth in and say yes! :thumbsup:

I was in the RAF at the time and I used to hire a minibus from them and take about 12 peeps from Hull and Goole. The dance floor was large and very good.... No I don't remember the decor either lol.

It was either Doncaster or Sheffield Bailey's alternate weekends for us.

Social source share

went to baileys in sheffield bank holiday all dayers think it had a revolving dance floor? doncaster can not remember spike chesterfield derbyshire also went to sammanthers coalville peterbough wigan allnighters and most recently the twisted wheel in manchester that was fantastic spike age 49

Social source share

Anyone remember the alldayers that were held at the old Baileys nightclub in Doncaster around mid 75?? Travelled up from Peterborough for em.Seemed to be most of the Nottingham, Derby area soulies there. Can't remember much about the venue or the decor and i think we used to park in a multistory across the road. Just jogging the old memory after 30 odd years. Stay soulful, Tony E. OZ.

yep remember these alldayers after Wigan remember i think his name was Frank from donny and his girlfriend cant remember her name also a girl called Janice havent seen her in yrs..decor not very good from what i remember walking up them stairs and into the main hall,who were the djays cant remember cobwebbs gathering in mi head lol...

Malc

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Yes, I live in Doncaster & can vaguely remember going.

Spent most time travelling though to Cleethorpes or Samanthas at Sheffield.

Social source share

Guest roggert

went to baileys in sheffield bank holiday all dayers think it had a revolving dance floor? doncaster can not remember spike chesterfield derbyshire also went to sammanthers coalville peterbough wigan allnighters and most recently the twisted wheel in manchester that was fantastic spike age 49

hi still got my baileys "northern soul sunday club"card member0.1622 pity it ran out march 78 just one of my club cards the ex wife lets me havenow and then to piss me off!just wish i could have all the flyers i saved from the sixties an seventies but knowing the bitch she will have burnt em p.s if chris hudd reads this welcome to the treasury of memories i told you about

Social source share

Went to a Doncaster Baileys 24 Hr marathon many many moons ago,please correct me if im wrong but i think it may of been Pat Bradys first official dj booking.Records i remember played The Mob,Bernie Williams.

Pat's first official DJ All - Nighter booking was by me , when I added him to the line up at Wakefield Unity in 1977 .

I was one of the DJs on that night . I have an old Blues & Soul in the loft that features the advert : I will search it out and post it up this evening .

Malc

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Yes did Donny Bailey's Sunday All-Dayers,my first venture outside of Hull.Went on train with my mate Steve Stones & bumped into Mr Newbold & his little gang on the same train (hey up Andy mate long time no see) Run by Terry Samson if my memory is correct, who ran various "do's" around that time? Remember Terry putting handfuls of wet sawdust down to make the danceflood more slippery & everyone falling on there arses & he had to get a sweeping brush to clear it all away :thumbup: One week Donny Bailey's the next week held at the Sheffield Baileys,there might even have been one at Cat's Whiskers in Meanwood,Leeds??? I'd have said early 76, maybe late 75? Decor was the same in all Bailey's at that time,bloody aweful vivid orange seats. Do remember the 24hr thing too. Pat was on at the dayers but not sure about the nighter?? Happy days............I think biggrin.gif

Cheers

Martyn

Edited by hullsoul
Social source share

Went up into the loft as promised , and after much ferretting , found the advert for Terry Sampson's first Northern Soul Scene's 24 hour Marathon at Doncaster Baileys . The year was 1977 , and the date was Midnight Saturday 26th February , until Midnight Sunday February 27th .

The DJ line up was Richard Searling , John Vincent , Sam , Dave Evison , Colin Curtis , Poke , Paul Rowan , Derek Sheldon , Pat Brady , Bub , Andy Lee and yours truly .

The cost for the 24 hours was £2 members , and £2.50 guests .

The advert contained the unforgettable statement " Meet your soul brothers and sisters from all parts of the country for a chat on soul topics and swap your records " :lol:

There was a second and last one the month after , on the 12th / 13th March .

My apologies that the scan is not clearer : I attempted to risize it but lost the battle .

Malc

post-5097-095814500 1277833195_thumb.jpg

post-5097-095814500 1277833195_thumb.jpg

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Went up into the loft as promised , and after much ferretting , found the advert for Terry Sampson's first Northern Soul Scene's 24 hour Marathon at Doncaster Baileys . The year was 1977 , and the date was Midnight Saturday 26th February , until Midnight Sunday February 27th .

The DJ line up was Richard Searling , John Vincent , Sam , Dave Evison , Colin Curtis , Poke , Paul Rowan , Derek Sheldon , Pat Brady , Bub , Andy Lee and yours truly .

The cost for the 24 hours was £2 members , and £2.50 guests .

The advert contained the unforgettable statement " Meet your soul brothers and sisters from all parts of the country for a chat on soul topics and swap your records " :thumbsup:

There was a second and last one the month after , on the 12th / 13th March .

My apologies that the scan is not clearer : I attempted to risize it but lost the battle .

Malc

Hi Malc,i allways thought Mary Chapman had something to do with the running of this particular event.I remember there was bad floods that weekend and we had trouble getting to it,on arrival they wouldnt let us in,this woman spoke on our behalf and we were allowed in.Didnt fancy a trip back to Derby that night.

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Happy days............I think :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Pauline says we went, I can't remember so it must have been good :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

Hi Malc,i allways thought Mary Chapman had something to do with the running of this particular event.I remember there was bad floods that weekend and we had trouble getting to it,on arrival they wouldnt let us in,this woman spoke on our behalf and we were allowed in.Didnt fancy a trip back to Derby that night.

No , the Bailey's 24 NS Marathon was Terry Sampson's baby .

Mary and Colin Chapman were there , but as guests .

Malc

Social source share

Pauline says we went, I can't remember so it must have been good :thumbsup:

Kev

Kev

I remember a few of the old Goole lot going, obviously Paul & Lesley with Angie as that's were I met them on the train to the Sheffield dayer. Spud Murphy & Blackie went but must admit can't remember you & Pauline been there............but you were one of the big lads back then :lol:

Cheers

Martyn

Social source share

Guest Ranger

Kev

I remember a few of the old Goole lot going, obviously Paul & Lesley with Angie as that's were I met them on the train to the Sheffield dayer. Spud Murphy & Blackie went but must admit can't remember you & Pauline been there............but you were one of the big lads back then :yes:

Cheers

Martyn

I've cut out the biscuits & buns now :yes:

Spent a lot of time in Donny back then, back room of The Drum, buses from the Saracen's Head, or was it Arms? But I really can't remember going to Bailey's, not going to argue with the missus though. :ohmy:

Funny thing though I can remember catching the train to go to the under 18's Saturday afternoon disco's at the Top Rank, must have been 15 then.

Might give Ken a ring tomorrow his memory for names & faces from the 7ts is phenomenal. :thumbsup:

Kev

Social source share

I've cut out the biscuits & buns now :thumbsup:

Spent a lot of time in Donny back then, back room of The Drum, buses from the Saracen's Head, or was it Arms? But I really can't remember going to Bailey's, not going to argue with the missus though. :lol:

Funny thing though I can remember catching the train to go to the under 18's Saturday afternoon disco's at the Top Rank, must have been 15 then.

Might give Ken a ring tomorrow his memory for names & faces from the 7ts is phenomenal. :thumbsup:

Kev

I used to play records back room at The Drum (Bentley), along with a few others.

A suitcase or two of records Happy Days.

I Had long hair back then though :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 8 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!