Kings Go Forth On Ebay

• Replies 108
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I thought I'd have a look and see if any were listed. Anyway there is one, currently stands at $43.50 (9 bids) with 2 days to go. How much do we think this will go for?

My guesstimate is $78.01.

>>click here for ebay listing<<

well mate

it was bound to happen and who knows what it will go for, in this day and age even the cheapest records seem to go for daft price,s, then that sets the general asking price for future ones listed anyway got mine as well top sound destined for big things :D:yes:

Social source share

well mate

it was bound to happen and who knows what it will go for, in this day and age even the cheapest records seem to go for daft price,s, then that sets the general asking price for future ones listed anyway got mine as well top sound destined for big things :D:yes:

destined to get hammered more like cause dj's have no imagination :D there's far better records out there, records that this one is imitating.

Social source share

And Fryer and James T both said they had copies left and people are still bidding on E-Bay!!! Unbelievable, people just want it all on a plate, no thought at all.

I completely echo Chalky's sentiments and anyone not agreeing would love to hear their logic.

Mr T and Mr F playing this off acetate or whatever is leading, the other 500 should be filed away for listening but watch them appear all over playlists for next couple off weeks.

Baaaahd patter in my opionion!!

Social source share

And Fryer and James T both said they had copies left and people are still bidding on E-Bay!!! Unbelievable, people just want it all on a plate, no thought at all.

I completely echo Chalky's sentiments and anyone not agreeing would love to hear their logic.

Mr T and Mr F playing this off acetate or whatever is leading, the other 500 should be filed away for listening but watch them appear all over playlists for next couple off weeks.

So what. Is it gonna be the crime of the century, i dont think so. :yes:

Social source share

I think the Kings have potential Jocko . I hope there's more to come with maybe guest vocalists too ?

I'm on record as saying I think its a decent record, if I heard it at Fryers night, if I ever get in at my age, sure I would shake a leg, or at least jiggle my zimmer. I'm also on record as saying also I thought the hype was well done and quite good fun,

Just don't think its worthy of accolades its getting from everyman and its dog now, and don't think its a particularly outstanding all nighter record.

And its something I can disagree with Mr Rabble about, agree him with far too often these days for my street cred. that alone is worth my dissenting voice.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I have a couple left that are not reserved, I don't do the post office though so I can't sell them to anyone that is not out and about in the clubs, I assume they will go this weekend.

I rate the record, I think it's fantastic, really very fucking good. If I've helped give the band some exposure over here and it gets plays because of it, then great. But I hope more than that it will open up some DJ's imaginations to realise there is some great new stuff out there that should get spins. Sharon Jones for one example.

I think it's pretty sad that Chalky and others are knocking it before it's actually been hammered, maybe in a years time if it is still getting abused and other worthy records are being ignored, then I'd agree. But I think it's more worrying that Jo Jama is still played at Lifeline.

Social source share

Just don't think its worthy of accolades its getting from everyman and its dog now, and don't think its a particularly outstanding all nighter record.

And its something I can disagree with Mr Rabble about, agree him with far too often these days for my street cred. that alone is worth my dissenting voice.

Social source share

But I hope more than that it will open up some DJ's imaginations to realise there is some great new stuff out there that should get spins. Sharon Jones for one example.

Like Jock said one or two is leading the way but when every Tom Dick and Harriet DJ play this, which they will, it's not very imaginative is it. It would be better if people opened their imagination to what you got into this scene for in the first place, authentic 60's & 70's soul, not retro sounding imitation music.

Social source share

I think it's pretty sad that Chalky and others are knocking it before it's actually been hammered, maybe in a years time if it is still getting abused and other worthy records are being ignored, then I'd agree. But I think it's more worrying that Jo Jama is still played at Lifeline.

DJ's aren't told what to play at Lifeline James, just like you weren't told not to play the Salvadors.

Social source share

Like Jock said one or two is leading the way but when every Tom Dick and Harriet DJ play this, which they will, it's not very imaginative is it. It would be better if people opened their imagination to what you got into this scene for in the first place, authentic 60's & 70's soul, not retro sounding imitation music.

Cannot Echo Chalky & Jock's sentiments enough, there are hundreds of better £10 records out there,that ooze much more soul!

OPEN YOUR MINDS!

But More Importantly......

YOUR FECKIN EARS :thumbsup:

Bully!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

DJ's aren't told what to play at Lifeline James, just like you weren't told not to play the Salvadors.

Touche, turtle! :lol: But if the dance floor wasn't so empty when I came on I wouldn't have had to :shades::lol::thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I got into it to dance to good music. Don't bother me two hoots when it was made :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

I got into it to dance to good music. Don't bother me two hoots when it was made :thumbsup:

I agree in principal to what James says...good music is good music...doesn't matter when it was made...I dont particularly like the track but thats not because it was produced in the wrong decade...that would just be daft :shades:

Social source share

I rate the record, I think it's fantastic, really very fucking good. If I've helped give the band some exposure over here and it gets plays because of it, then great. But I hope more than that it will open up some DJ's imaginations to realise there is some great new stuff out there that should get spins. Sharon Jones for one example.

I don't think anyones actually knocking the record itself, the point is we are saying there are lots of better records which are more authentic, that's not just because it was made today, thats based on quality and comparison, like all records put up for play, nothing more, nothing less. As for getting the band exposure, I think the hypes been great for that but how many people will follow that up and buy there CD, which is really where the band need the support. I actually think the same of Sharon Jones records to be honest, I have bought them all for their actual artistic merit rather than any connection to my Northern records. Now live is another thing, would die to see SJ, and am sure KGF would be interesting, although not vocally as dynamic.

And surely you are the biggest critic of the sheep mentality so how come you don't think its wrong it will be played in every soul night (well 472 anyway, accounting for the 28 like me who bought the record for the records sake, not the DJ hype) every week for at least the next year.

It was fun while it lasted but in reality like all hype its day was shortlived at the cutting edge, now its woolyback material only,

So you like contemporary soul and house too? That why you are Sam's biggest fan then :shades:

I think you are the only one claiming its judged on its recording date rather than its actual merit.

Social source share

I've no axe to grind, I think it's a decent pastiche and certainly rips the tits out of the Duffy palarva even if it falls short of The Daptone's stuff. Think a lot of people bought it with a view to turning a profit on the back of the hype. Only time will tell if it get's hammered but I suspect that some of the lazier type of local DJs will milk it for as long as they can then move on to another 'easy' play.

Social source share

I have a couple left that are not reserved, I don't do the post office though so I can't sell them to anyone that is not out and about in the clubs, I assume they will go this weekend.

=========

I REALLY LIKE THIS,,SHUDDA LISTENED TO IT EARLIER....WELL DONE JAMES!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I don't think anyones actually knocking the record itself, the point is we are saying there are lots of better records which are more authentic, that's not just because it was made today, thats based on quality and comparison, like all records put up for play, nothing more, nothing less. As for getting the band exposure, I think the hypes been great for that but how many people will follow that up and buy there CD, which is really where the band need the support. I actually think the same of Sharon Jones records to be honest, I have bought them all for their actual artistic merit rather than any connection to my Northern records. Now live is another thing, would die to see SJ, and am sure KGF would be interesting, although not vocally as dynamic.

And surely you are the biggest critic of the sheep mentality so how come you don't think its wrong it will be played in every soul night (well 472 anyway, accounting for the 28 like me who bought the record for the records sake, not the DJ hype) every week for at least the next year.

It was fun while it lasted but in reality like all hype its day was shortlived at the cutting edge, now its woolyback material only,

So you like contemporary soul and house too? That why you are Sam's biggest fan then :thumbsup:

I think you are the only one claiming its judged on its recording date rather than its actual merit.

Hey, read the other thread, there are folk saying there is no place for new releases to be played, true, but sad.

If folk don't like it because they don't like it, cool. But I'm afraid some do knock it because it's new, and now, as in Chalky's case, because it will be very popular. In a years time if it is still being hammered, like Jo Jama or Margaret Little or Joseph bloody Webster or Lee Fields, or Elipsis then I will probably start to agree with that train of thought. But to knock it now because it will be one of the most popular floor filling records on the scene this year before it's really had a chance to be played out is just plain wrong. Give it a chance, Jesus weeped!

But apart from that, I do actually agree with you. But perhaps in a few months time...

As you say, it's been fun giving it exposure, I think it deserves it. I'd do the same for any new record that I believe is special. The KGF is, IMO, special.

I'm sure both sides will be spun this weekend at Soul Spectrum in Edinburgh, as well as many clubs across the country, and too right, it deserves it...

Social source share

Hey, read the other thread, there are folk saying there is no place for new releases to be played, true, but sad.

If folk don't like it because they don't like it, cool. But I'm afraid some do knock it because it's new, and now, as in Chalky's case, because it will be very popular. In a years time if it is still being hammered, like Jo Jama or Margaret Little or Joseph bloody Webster or Lee Fields, or Elipsis then I will probably start to agree with that train of thought. But to knock it now because it will be one of the most popular floor filling records on the scene this year before it's really had a chance to be played out is just plain wrong. Give it a chance, Jesus weeped!

But apart from that, I do actually agree with you. But perhaps in a few months time...

As you say, it's been fun giving it exposure, I think it deserves it. I'd do the same for any new record that I believe is special. The KGF is, IMO, special.

I'm sure both sides will be spun this weekend at Soul Spectrum in Edinburgh, as well as many clubs across the country, and too right, it deserves it...

I've nothing against anything being popular James. I was questioning the sheep mentality of DJ's and the lack of any imagination, something you are very passionate about are you not. As Jock said you lead the way with this record and credit to you for playing something new but it's the other 298 dj's who have probably bought the record solely because of the hype. And before you start I am also on record praising the record, its certainly not great though, it's average at best.

Why don't some of those who are gonna hammer it, play some of the many genuine 60's releases that are out there, forgotten, underplayed etc leave the record to those that have championed it and give it some shelf life.

It seems that everyone wants ready made dance floor fillers, records someone else done the leg work with, a record that cause everyone is talking about it gives them some sort of credability.

The scene was about seeking out that rare elusive disc, the next big thing, something no one else is playing now it's becoming like the top 20 with chart records being spun and retro sounding imitation records causing as bigger stir than the records it is imitating.

Social source share

you lead the way with this record and credit to you for playing something new but it's the other 298 dj's who have probably bought the record solely because of the hype.

Most copies were sold out before it was hyped or even mentioned on SoulSource. A link to the bands MySpace page was posted on the funk forum and the people who pre-ordered the 45 did so because they thought it was a good record or because they thought they could re-sell some copies at profit.

Almost all records thorughout the history of recorded music are imitations or influenced of what has gone down before. The vast majority of ALL soul/r&b records ever released are (often unimaginative) ways of re-hashing a formula. That goes for almost all records played under the "northern soul" banner, or any other banner for that matter. That doesn't make those records bad or not worthy of our attention though. It's just the way it works.

Kings Go Forth's "One Day" is a truly monumental tune in my opinion. I don't see what that has got to do with me liking authentic 60s/70s soul though. Can't I like and play both? It's not like there's all of a sudden a lack of good 60s/70s/80s soul in my record collection or DJ box just because I put the Kings Go Forth 45 in there.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Most copies were sold out before it was hyped or even mentioned on SoulSource. A link to the bands MySpace page was posted on the funk forum and the people who pre-ordered the 45 did so because they thought it was a good record or because they thought they could re-sell some copies at profit.

Maybe to dealers who bought in bulk but I bet that most who have bought copies didn't know about the record till posted on Soul Source.

Its all about opinions Seb, you think it's monumental, I personally think it's far from it, average at best. I think there are far better 60's and 70's records out there. My copy is filed and will probably stay there, might come out to sell :thumbsup: certainly won't go in the dj box.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Lots of different arguments etc etc,and here's my take. If I travelled 100 miles plus up the Motorway to a "top" niter and every other "top" D.J. is playing it then that's B*ll*cks, it shows lack of imagination, let James play it & get credit for it as he's championing it. however, if I'm getting a cab to my local soul knees up, then I think it's brilliant to hear this played out, instead of the usual stuff & freshens up the playlists of some of the D.J.'s that time forgot. Different scenes, different folk, different rules.

Des Parker

P.S. I quite like it, not in my top 5 of all time, but I'd like one if someone can sell me one at it's "realistic" price!

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

I've nothing against anything being popular James. I was questioning the sheep mentality of DJ's and the lack of any imagination, something you are very passionate about are you not. As Jock said you lead the way with this record and credit to you for playing something new but it's the other 298 dj's who have probably bought the record solely because of the hype. And before you start I am also on record praising the record, its certainly not great though, it's average at best.

Why don't some of those who are gonna hammer it, play some of the many genuine 60's releases that are out there, forgotten, underplayed etc leave the record to those that have championed it and give it some shelf life.

It seems that everyone wants ready made dance floor fillers, records someone else done the leg work with, a record that cause everyone is talking about it gives them some sort of credability.

The scene was about seeking out that rare elusive disc, the next big thing, something no one else is playing now it's becoming like the top 20 with chart records being spun and retro sounding imitation records causing as bigger stir than the records it is imitating.

As I say, man, I do agree, but in a few months time, by which time it would have left my play box anyway, too cool for school, me... :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Lots of different arguments etc etc,and here's my take. If I travelled 100 miles plus up the Motorway to a "top" niter and every other "top" D.J. is playing it then that's B*ll*cks, it shows lack of imagination, let James play it & get credit for it as he's championing it. however, if I'm getting a cab to my local soul knees up, then I think it's brilliant to hear this played out, instead of the usual stuff & freshens up the playlists of some of the D.J.'s that time forgot. Different scenes, different folk, different rules.

Des Parker

P.S. I quite like it, not in my top 5 of all time, but I'd like one if someone can sell me one at it's "realistic" price!

This isn't making sense, what if Joe Blogs travels 100 miles to get to your nearest do then surley the same implies for him as well.https://www.soul-source.co.uk/style_images/northern-p/folder_editor_images/rte-align-center.png

So nobody else but James can play the record, its his record, makes sense.

Good or bad DJ,s that time has forget must get out at some time to hear of the KGF and every little club has people travelling up to it.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Almost all records thorughout the history of recorded music are imitations or influenced of what has gone down before. The vast majority of ALL soul/r&b records ever released are (often unimaginative) ways of re-hashing a formula.

this is very true. Soul records can only be either good or bad examples of there particular genre.

some have the magic others don't.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

This isn't making sense, what if Joe Blogs travels 100 miles to get to your nearest do then surley the same implies for him as well.

So nobody else but James can play the record, its his record, makes sense.

I think Des is wrong about me getting credit for it. The only folk who deserve real credit are the band.

Kings Go Forth, the people's record :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

destined to get hammered more like cause dj's have no imagination :thumbsup: there's far better records out there, records that this one is imitating.

I'm totally with you here!

If I heard this out in a club I would probably dance to it but that doesn't mean that it's good record.

For me one thing about northern soul is that when the records were made they were made by (mostly) black people trying to make a contemporay modern sound. I think most of today's pop or rock bands could do really good imitations of that sound but that's not a very exciting thought.

The point of soul music is that it can be put into a bigger context and tell me something about the times and people that were involved.

This song doesn't do that to me.

When I listen to new music I want it to sound new too!

Edited by B Nilsson
Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

When I listen to new music I want it to sound new too!

Dont listen to it then!!!?!

I think it will go for at least £50, the price will rocket on these for a while but by next year it will be down to £15/£20 tops i reckon...

Ste.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

One things for sure, it's a billion times better than that god awful Smoove/Frank Popp cover-up pile of tosh! :lol: How come that's not being cruxified or has it been cruxified to death already?

Anything that involves Frank Popp should be banned, i've nothing against 60's sounding new releases but his always sound naff to me...especially that God Awfull 'Hip teens'!! :thumbsup:

Ste.

Social source share

My copy is filed and will probably stay there, might come out to sell :lol: certainly won't go in the dj box.

So, you bought it purely so that once it's achieved what you don't what it to achieve - popularity, noteriety and wider demand - by means that you don't believe in or feel have any place on the NS scene - this particular record being played on the NS scene - you'll be able to cash it in and reap the rewards of it's achievements thanks to it's value rocketing because of those factors?

Nice one :thumbsup:

Social source share

And back to the original question: My guess is $112

Heres my answer to your question from the July 1st:

Jul 1 08, 11:08 PM

"....but rest assured in a few weeks time the first will crop up on ebay making 275.73 USD, after that it will cool down to say 66 USD... "

You did not have to be a prophet to foresee this happening with all the buzz around the record. IMHO who ever wants to play the record should do so, who prefers to play other stuff should so as well.

Every punter himself can and will judge for himself (as always with his /her feet on the floor).

Why someone should be allowed to be the only one playing it only because he was the first to receive it is way beyond me though. The tune was discussed about half a year ago already widely and intensively on another forum, it was up on myspace...so hundreds of people at least did know about this tune already before.

Its a great tune for what it is, a retro sounding funky soulful Dance record. And I am thankful for people putting down the effort to record and release stuff like this, just like I am thankful for the Daptone output and equal stuff. Makes life much more colourful if you know what I mean.

Says me who definitely won`t be playing it out at a NS event.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Its a great tune for what it is, a retro sounding funky soulful Dance record. And I am thankful for people putting down the effort to record and release stuff like this, just like I am thankful for the Daptone output and equal stuff. Makes life much more colourful if you know what I mean.

Says me who definitely won`t be playing it out at a NS event.

Marc

Just curoius Marc but if you think it's a great tune why won't you be playing it out?

Social source share

Just curoius Marc but if you think it's a great tune why won't you be playing it out?

Because so far I have never played a new release at a Rare Soul event and don`t see myself ever doing so (only exception being Tyrrel Cooperation in 1991). Furthermore I don`t see the use in playing it if everybody can or actually is playing it. Same reason why I dropped Joe Jama and New World long time ago already.

Don`t get me wrong, I stick to my words in that everybody can play what they like IMO but it does make it less attractive for me to play it then if it gets played everywhere. Still I have enjoyed tapping to the rhythm the few moments I have heard Nicole WIllis out at venues for example. But again I wouldn`t have played it.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!