Kings Go Forth On Ebay

Where did I intend to say so ? Still I believe everybody should try to play as exclusive or better say individual as possible. Otherwise no need in packing a box, be it hot or not.

Yes individual would be a better word than exclusive , as exclusive would mean( in Dj terms )

a single known copy . However I dont see the problem in playing a common record, I really like ,if I get the chance to before anyone else . Im sure most DJ's are like that ?

Butch plays Lee Fields and Babara St Clair for instance :yes:

Edited by Simon M
Social source share

• Replies 108
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Matt Male

Talking of Sharon Jones, anyone know if 'Keep On Looking' is available on a vinyl 45? I know it's on the LP 100 Days, 100 Nights. Daptone seem to have released almost everything else on 7" but not my favourite. :yes:

Social source share

Because so far I have never played a new release at a Rare Soul event and don`t see myself ever doing so (only exception being Tyrrel Cooperation in 1991). Furthermore I don`t see the use in playing it if everybody can or actually is playing it. Same reason why I dropped Joe Jama and New World long time ago already.

Don`t get me wrong, I stick to my words in that everybody can play what they like IMO but it does make it less attractive for me to play it then if it gets played everywhere. Still I have enjoyed tapping to the rhythm the few moments I have heard Nicole WIllis out at venues for example. But again I wouldn`t have played it.

Marc

Got to be honest Marc & say I wouldn't play it out either but for different reasons to you.

I actually quite like it in a retro kind of way as well & I even went out of my way to ask James what it was when he played it in Sheffield a while ago.

The reason I wouldn't play it is because it simply wouldn't fit alongside the other new releases that I do playout.

Have noticed the response this record has being getting though on forums when other things like the new Dells track (Can't Wait) have barely been mentioned.

Wonder why?

Social source share

If every dj had an exclusive set there would be no northern soul scene. We always spoke of the country's top records, not the dj's top records - a record would go big and all the dj's would try to get a copy, it would be massive sound everywhere for 3 months - and then would usually be dropped. If every dj played totally different records then there would be no country-wide big sounds at all.

Social source share

....However I dont see the problem in playing a common record, I really like ,if I get the chance to before anyone else ...

Simon, exactly what I say...I don`t see a problem neither ´cause by doing so you as well create an exclusive/individual set in the true sense of the word.

ie Barabara St.Clair: When Butch played this 45 in Bamberg earlier this year it was enough for me to stop me on both nights from playing it hrs after him.

Marc

Edited by Marc Forrest
Social source share

Guest Beeks

Its funny...Northern Soul is the only scene where DJs strive to play records punters have never heard...and even funnier that it fills the floor rather than clears it :yes:

Social source share

just a thought....maybe if this had been a one-off,covered up maybe by an A-list DJ for a couple of years,some people may have a different opinion of this record?. :yes:

Its certainly not the worst i've heard on the scene.I like it ,don't care what others say.

Will it stand the test of time?.Maybe not,but its right for now.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

just a thought....maybe if this had been a one-off,covered up maybe by an A-list DJ for a couple of years,some people may have a different opinion of this record?. :yes:

Its certainly not the worst i've heard on the scene.I like it ,don't care what others say.

Will it stand the test of time?.Maybe not,but its right for now.

Its a great track.

If it was covered up, or there was an Ian Levine stylee scam i.e. passing it off as a 60/70's track etc there would be loads of people on here willing to pay silly money and we all know thats the case!

Its definately better than many 'real' Northern tracks played up and down the country at clubs and will definately be getting a spin at our club next week!

Ste.

Social source share

It's another funk record isn't it? Funny how a lot of people who wouldn't touch a funk record with a barge pole years ago are now borrowing from the funk scene as they're running out of soul tracks to dig up :yes:

I quite like it although I'd probably die if I tried dancing to it :)

Social source share

Talking of Sharon Jones, anyone know if 'Keep On Looking' is available on a vinyl 45? I know it's on the LP 100 Days, 100 Nights. Daptone seem to have released almost everything else on 7" but not my favourite. :yes:

try the daptone web site they sell there 45s too !

Social source share

Guest Beeks

It's another funk record isn't it? Funny how a lot of people who wouldn't touch a funk record with a barge pole years ago :yes:

Well I was playing funk years ago...so I guess that makes me a pioneer :D

Now I wont touch it with a barge pole...suppose I never was one to follow the trends :)

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

It's another funk record isn't it? Funny how a lot of people who wouldn't touch a funk record with a barge pole years ago are now borrowing from the funk scene as they're running out of soul tracks to dig up :yes:

I quite like it although I'd probably die if I tried dancing to it :)

Is certainly a great dance track, very Funky!

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Well I was playing funk years ago...so I guess that makes me a pioneer :)

Now I wont touch it with a barge pole...suppose I never was one to follow the trends :yes:

I've loved Funk as long as i've loved Northern, probably why i like it so much, we play a mix of Funk and soul at our club in a non conventional way and it works really well.

Ste.

Social source share

Have noticed the response this record has being getting though on forums when other things like the new Dells track (Can't Wait) have barely been mentioned.

Wonder why?

Maybe because that track's obviously not a throwback 60's sound (it's a more throwback mid 80's sound with those drums and keyboards and bassline) and as such doesn't offend the ideals of people who think the KGF is trying to unsettle their notion of what should or shouldn't be, or probably even come under their radar for that matter. There are 1000's of new soul releases that won't be discussed on this or any other predominantly 60's/70's music forums seeing as they don't bear much resemblance to that era. I'd expect the dells to be discussed more than the KGF on EMS ...I can't check as I lost my login info ages ago :yes: That said you have to admit that track (Dells) is in itself a very throwback kind of sound, very 80's drums and keyboards and bassline. That said the vocals are great, though.

Social source share

Guest Ste Brazil

Maybe because that track's obviously not a throwback 60's sound (it's a more throwback mid 80's sound with those drums and keyboards and bassline) and as such doesn't offend the ideals of people who think the KGF is trying to unsettle their notion of what should or shouldn't be, or probably even come under their radar for that matter. There are 1000's of new soul releases that won't be discussed on this or any other predominantly 60's/70's music forums seeing as they don't bear much resemblance to that era. I'd expect the dells to be discussed more than the KGF on EMS ...I can't check as I lost my login info ages ago :yes: That said you have to admit that track (Dells) is in itself a very throwback kind of sound, very 80's drums and keyboards and bassline. That said the vocals are great, though.

What if the Dells did a 60's throwback sound, probably most of the haters of KGF would be saying how great it was...

Ste.

Social source share

Since when has Soul Source been predominantly 60s 70s? I thought it was all about soul music from all eras?

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Since when has Soul Source been predominantly 60s 70s? I thought it was all about soul music from all eras?

Thats what I thought when I joined Reggie but it's not really is it...its predominantly Northern Soul...ive posted a few bits of modern stuff on here...and no matter how good it is...tends to go down like a lead balloon :yes:

Social source share

...since for ever...you're not saying that the main thrust of the discussions on this site don't come from a 60's, northern and 70's angle? I mean, the 10007 threads on the northern scene, originals only and who should play what, where and when testify to that. Not saying other eras aren't discussed but as Cunnie points out, releases like the new Dells, Stephanie McKay or Lalah Hathaway for instance don't really get that much attention in the main, even if they are discussed to some extent.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Probably not the best of examples in the first place from me but the main points are that Kings Go Fifth (sorry, couldn't resist) is a Northern track on 7" vinyl & the Dells is a Soul track on CD.

Also if I remember rightly the KGF thread on EMS was far bigger than the Dells thread but I think that was mainly due to James's input :)

Social source share

...since for ever...you're not saying that the main thrust of the discussions on this site don't come from a 60's, northern and 70's angle? I mean, the 10007 threads on the northern scene, originals only and who should play what, where and when testify to that. Not saying other eras aren't discussed but as Cunnie points out, releases like the new Dells, Stephanie McKay or Lalah Hathaway for instance don't really get that much attention in the main, even if they are discussed to some extent.

Well they should :yes: I am far too lazy to join another forum (EMS) although I've always meant to!

Edited by Reg
Social source share

maybe there should be another (sub)forum for new stuff?

Social source share

Like Jock said one or two is leading the way but when every Tom Dick and Harriet DJ play this, which they will, it's not very imaginative is it. It would be better if people opened their imagination to what you got into this scene for in the first place, authentic 60's & 70's soul, not retro sounding imitation music.

Sorry Chalky your talking Bollocks mate- It is imaginative to play it and the imagination is what you play before it and what you play after it!

Its not the greatest record anyone has heard but its pretty good IMO and yes I will be playing it out next month & I am trying to work out what records in my collection can follow it! :rolleyes:

Social source share

It's another funk record isn't it? Funny how a lot of people who wouldn't touch a funk record with a barge pole years ago are now borrowing from the funk scene as they're running out of soul tracks to dig up :rolleyes:

I quite like it although I'd probably die if I tried dancing to it :rolleyes:

If you had gone to the Mecca in the 70s you would have heard lots of Funk style records

Social source share

It's always been a northern soul site, right from the start, other styles have been included but it started off as a northern soul site. I'm talking way back in the 90's.

Social source share

If you had gone to the Mecca in the 70s you would have heard lots of Funk style records

Too young I'm afraid... :ohmy: I love the Mecca stuff :rolleyes:

There was a time though when funk was a dirty word on the Northern Scene.

And Pete...I know that Soul source started off as predominantly northern but it has evolved I think...I mean we even have a Soul of Jamaica/Ska sub forum now :rolleyes:

Social source share

that Dells track is awful.

It sounds like the worst Huey Lewis and the News backing track with added 80s cheese.

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Joe I can't believe you said that...I thought that too!! I love the Dells but the backing track is the Power of Love!!!

Social source share

that Dells track is awful.

It sounds like the worst Huey Lewis and the News backing track with added 80s cheese.

Can`t believe you just said that as most of the stuff that gets played these days as so called "R&B" sounds a hundred times more like Huey Lewis :rolleyes: anyway, your record is packed and will leave tmorrow :rolleyes: .....without cheese :ohmy:

Social source share

Talking of Sharon Jones, anyone know if 'Keep On Looking' is available on a vinyl 45? I know it's on the LP 100 Days, 100 Nights. Daptone seem to have released almost everything else on 7" but not my favourite. :rolleyes:

Don't think it's available on 45 but there is a really nice 12" from keep on looking. think it came out this week, got it today. a nice kenny dope remix, an acapella version and the original-it's really good. think you can get it via grooveattack but heard it goes away like free beer...

cheers hank

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Don't think it's available on 45 but there is a really nice 12" from keep on looking. think it came out this week, got it today. a nice keb darge remix, an acapella version and the original-it's really good. think you can get it via grooveattack but heard it goes away like free beer...

cheers hank

Wow! :rolleyes:

Just listened to that Kenny Dope remix. Imagine that played out? Phenomenal.

Social source share

Wow! :rolleyes:

Just listened to that Kenny Dope remix. Imagine that played out? Phenomenal.

like i said!! it's realy good!! sad it's only on 12", it's doesn't fit into my dj-box :rolleyes: ...

if you don't get it anywhere, i have a second one...

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Talking of Sharon Jones, anyone know if 'Keep On Looking' is available on a vinyl 45? I know it's on the LP 100 Days, 100 Nights. Daptone seem to have released almost everything else on 7" but not my favourite. :rolleyes:

No. I play it off a carver I cut from the CD. Great track. Kenny Dope remix is cool as well and cheaper than carving the album version...

Social source share

Thought a soul record might have made a change from all the RockaBilly Joe :P

there's a Soul tune under all those Synths?

Well i never.

Rockabilly? nah that's 50s white trash in dungarees playing a pastiche, Black Rhythm and Blues is the real deal - after all it's where it all began.

Now go and clean your lugholes out. :lol:

Social source share

maybe there should be another (sub)forum for new stuff?

Perhaps the problem with recent release stuff is that you would be limited as to how much of the track you could post up without getting into copyright, file sharing issues, etc? Coupled with the fact that a lot of tracks and their remixes seem to be 10 minutes long with a five minute intro, a thread of soulful house tracks would all be the same 30-60 seconds of identical drum beats! :lol:

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

. My copy is filed and will probably stay there, might come out to sell :rolleyes: certainly won't go in the dj box.

Chalky, you capitalist swine! Don't bother buying a copy, I'll work a market for 3, 6 and 12 month options if there are more money hungry folk like you out there who want to profiteer from other people's passion :thumbsup:

I'll start a £30-£50 spread on all options if any one is interested in joining the market?

_43035131_liffe_getty203.jpg

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I thought I'd have a look and see if any were listed. Anyway there is one, currently stands at $43.50 (9 bids) with 2 days to go. How much do we think this will go for?

My guesstimate is $78.01.

>>click here for ebay listing<<

$113.50 :unsure:

I wonder if now is the time to sell? :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!