Rimini

Guest Catfish

Guest Catfish

Just got back this evening from Rimeeeni (as the Italians like to pronounce it!) and wanted to say what a thoroughly superb time I had. I have not been before, so all the comparisons between 'old venue'/ 'new venue' etc were meaninglesss to me.

The events on all THREE nights in the Gotha were packed with excellent music with an emphasis on style and taste with quite a bit of 70's - 90's a leeetle bit of 00's, but not so you end up doing two-step for too long..

I particularly enjoyed - well, everybody's music really.. but a special bit for me was Chris's set from 5 to 5.30 Friday night which created a quiite special atmosphere.. can't quite describe it. Also Arthur Fenn was as usual, great, and and I found myself running up to the decks to see what quite a few of Christian's tracks were as well. (Marsha Dodson? Anyone heard of that before? Amazing!!)

Saturday night- similarly excellent music. Sunday night- quietening down for whatever reason, perhaps people a little tired, but those there still had a good dance to the superb stuff played. Don't ask me what, I was too busy dancing and slightly tipsy to remember!

The venue was spacious, yes the drinks are a little more than the UK but not that much more than, say, the 100 club.

I think it would have been useful to know in advance about the Sunday night being free.. as a few people perhaps were under the impression they would have had to pay again, due to some slightly unclear comms from the door staff on the Fri night.

Topping it all off with a trip to San Marino on Monday made it like a proper 'holiday' which is what this is all about for a lot of people- many staying for a whole week! Good idea, will do next year!

Thanks to all who made my weekend such a good one inc. Karen Bedford, Colin & Sue, Marcus, Brian & Dave, Leona & Ady, Val & Rob, Elaine & Ron, Paul & Toby.

Bedtime now, bit of sleep to catch up on. :thumbsup:

Michele

xx

Edited by Catfish
  • Replies 46
  • Views 5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Well, I've been able to be there just for Saturday night and it was my first time too.. what a great night it was, anyway!

Enjoyed every minute, Kitch 60s set was the best one for me, but also all the other guests played - as expected - fantastic stuff.

Amazing atmosphere, great to see again some friends from England and Germany!

Will make it next year too, and probably for the whole weekend :shades:

Well done :thumbsup:

Tommaso

p.s. I had a swim in the sea at half past 7 in the morning just out the venue, priceless! :lol:

Edited by Tommaso

Okay my view on Rimini :ohmy:

Thursday - warm up at the Rose & Crown;

We got there late as we went out for dinner... food was awesome. :lol:

What we heard music wise was good quality, and nice to see some of the usual faces...

But a lot of people seemed to be missing from the previous 2 years. :lol:

Friday - The new Venue!!!

After a 25 minute bus ride we got down there at about 4 when it was due to start, I'm not very good with names (sorry) but the dealer from Germany was spinning some nice tracks to start the day off, I then followed him for 35 minutes, then Mick Lloyd followed me... we left there after another couple of sets.

The trouble was it was a 25 minute bus ride so down and back twice a day was going to be a bit of a pain as our hotel was near the R&C end and spending 2 hours a day on the bus while on holiday is already a bad start.

After a shower and dinner we went back down, but after looking in the windows of the venue it looked empty, the venue was far too big for the amount of people there.

So we decided to have a drink in the front bar used for the day time do...

Not a good night on the Soul side but an excellent night spent with friends... we kept looking in to see if the numbers had increased but they hadn't... so decided against paying the 15euros to get in... You did get a free drink as well so 9 euros really... but we never knew this until we went in on Saturday night.

Saturday - back on the bus and back to the venue...

Done another set and had a drink... (Okay here goes)

The venue was expensive at 6euros for a beer... not the best choice for a weekend of drinking... you could buy a Corona near our hotel on the front for 3.50 euros...

I'm not tight but who goes away to spend there weekend at an expensive bar drinking all day and night?

Yes I know the £ is weak... but you would think if a venue is catering just for you all weekend then maybe a drinks promotion would be good... I dj'd there all 3 days and at one stage came of the decks to buy a drink... never even got a free drink all weekend!!!!

I only found out Sunday that the daytime dj's got free entry to the night time do...

No one told us before then, and it was another dj that told me not an organiser.

So maybe he was winding me up!!!

Anyway we then made the journey back Saturday night, we decided to go in even though it looked empty, the dj's played excellent sets but again the venue was empty, there was a good buzz on the dance floor, and everyone stood around the edge, but if you looked behind them there was a lot of space I reckon we used about a third of the space of the venue... and we all had plenty of room.

So now its Sunday... and back on the bus again...

Now there was no advertised do on Sunday night only an afternoon leaving party that went on late...

If 30 people make a party!!!

I was asked to do a spot that night at the R&C, which I agreed to... but when we got to the club at about 5ish... we was then asked to dj there that night (me and Mick)

So now 2 do's 25 minute bus ride apart!!!!

Any way back to the club I was due to dj at 6.30 but a couple of run ons meant 7... This wasn't a problem but I was due to dj again now in the main room at 9.45... I came off at 7.30 Mick went on at 7.30 till 8.

So then another 25 minute bus ride we got back showered and had to eat... getting back for 9.45 wasn't going to happen, it just wasn't possible in the real world.. So ended up having a chilled out dinner at finishing off at the R&C... again listening to some top tunes...

Monday night we went to the R&C where I had the pleasure of finishing off the weekend 12 till 1 am

This was my third year in Rimini... and my last...

The numbers were down and the venue was far too big...

It lacked atmosphere...

In the old venue people came and went all day in this new venue that never happened, because it was at the other end of the town... there was none of that popping in for a beer, while the wife was getting ready, if the wife wanted to leave you couldn't walk her back and then come back again... in my eyes this venue was wrong... or you could say I was at the wrong end of town!!!

Also where was the Italian crowd?

There was a few about but a lot seemed to be missing.

Are they not supporting there own do's?

I hope it works out for the organisers I really do but for me that's my last one, it really done nothing for me... I think it was the new venue, what with the bus ride numbers down expensive drinks etc...

This is only my view and its good to see other people enjoyed it... each to there own...

I was in a group of 8 we all said it wasn't as good this year and 6 of us said that we wouldn't be back next year, I never asked the other 2!!!

It's hard sometimes being honest but hopefully the organisers will take some things on board and move forward next year... they are welcome to PM me and I will be more graphic if they wish or email me mrmensc@hotmail.com.

but they can tell me to shut up if they want as this is only my view any way :rolleyes:

what i should say is the music i heard at both the club in the afternoon and in the club in the evening was excellant...

also the music at the R&C was excellant i think having to sort your records out and not taking and surpless makes the sets more intresting.. I myself took about 50 records and done 3 sets, so every record i had to think about when i sorted them out to take.. :lol:

Sorry if this post offends anyone :rolleyes:

Sorry if this post offends anyone :P

I don' think it would offend anyone. In fact, the Italian organisers are some of the nicest people we have ever met and seriously worry about making people happy, because they want this music there so much :D .

But can you imagine what would happen if they came to England and decided to set up their own nights down the road from an English weekender?

--- would they get out alive?

It's no wonder that someone said that they were ashamed to be British :yes: after hearing about the pre-arranged Rose & Crown (R&C) decks and dj's, as well as the rubbishing of the real event. Others felt they had to apologise on their behalf and I found that really sad.

THE WEEKENDER AT THE GOTTA CLUB:

We had recommended that people stay near the venue - and we were so glad we did.

Our new beach had better facilities, the hotel that Cristian recommended was lovely (great buffet breakfast which even had a chef making pancakes) and the venue was just a few doors down. This last point was critical, as the 3 day weekender was intense with 3 afternoon sessions before a break to shower & change, 2 allniters (we left at 5.30am and 7.05am) and a Sunday free soul night (we left at 2.45am).

Each of the three afternoon sessions included serious portions of free food from the bar (pizza, pasta, bruscetta, piade) and both allniters served proper coffee and pastries in the early hours for only 1 euro each. The drink prices weren't much different to our hotel, but were stronger. Actually, the drink adopted this weekend was tequila sunrises and when that ran out, I believe the scotsmen may have started the slippery nipples rounds. The venue staff were lovely and danced about at sunrise, instead of complaining about waiting on us for up to 15hrs a day. They even gave the big drinkers a free round for the party they announced for Sunday night (obviously I didn't qualify, but I believe Pete did :lol: ). After a slow start, everyone seemed to be in the holiday spirit and appreciated that this actually was good value and rather civilised :P

Numbers were down in these travel competing and pre-recession times, but musically it was a real soul mix - which made it hard to please some. I thought there was more oldies than usual, but some only heard modern (even though no 'modern modern' dj's were booked). Best magic moment was about 6am on the 2nd allniter, when sunrise streamed orange light rays through the wall of glass (that faced the beach) and across the dancefloor. It was blinding, just like a jesus movie - but it seemed to recharge the dancers with renewed energy. I wish I had my camera, so hopefully some photos get posted up.

The venue was a big improvement on the austerity of the last and a sticky tiled Friday night floor was quickly polished to a gliding pleasure for the remaining time.

It would be rude to name favourite dj's, but have to say that Andy Dyson played a blinding mix of 60s and 70s soul, really showing off his extent of plays and building the energy. Sunday, Kitch did it for me and even slip on sandals couldn't stop me from dancing. Daytime it was two blokes who did midtempo sessions to melt over (sorry, I didn't ask your name) and 'electric spotlight Leona' had us clapping in appreciation. Cristina, Christian and Simone filled guest spots with Italian passion - varying from stomping northern to crossover, and Jorg had the northern buzz filling the floor on Saturday. Arthur wasn't allowed to leave the decks at 5.30am one night and they pumped him full of pastry and capuccinos until after 7am.

...I'm sure there will be playlists from the dj's, so you can judge the music against your own tastes.

Enough people left on a high and "see you next year" doubled kissed tans.

I find it harder to get everywhere (half my holidays go to annual visits home to Oz before I even start planning my soul calender), but I still take a good few days off for Rimini.

Thank you Cristian, Simone and Cristina. I hope people appreciated your hard work and I look forward to next year.

m

Okay my view on Rimini :D

We got there late as we went out for dinner... food was awesome. :P

What we heard music wise was good quality, and nice to see some of the usual faces...

But a lot of people seemed to be missing from the previous 2 years. :(

After a 25 minute bus ride we got down there at about 4 when it was due to start, I'm not very good with names (sorry) but the dealer from Germany was spinning some nice tracks to start the day off, I then followed him for 35 minutes, then Mick Lloyd followed me... we left there after another couple of sets.

The trouble was it was a 25 minute bus ride so down and back twice a day was going to be a bit of a pain as our hotel was near the R&C end and spending 2 hours a day on the bus while on holiday is already a bad start.

After a shower and dinner we went back down, but after looking in the windows of the venue it looked empty, the venue was far too big for the amount of people there.

Not a good night on the Soul side but an excellent night spent with friends... we kept looking in to see if the numbers had increased but they hadn't... so decided against paying the 15euros to get in... You did get a free drink as well so 9 euros really... but we never knew this until we went in on Saturday night.

The venue was expensive at 6euros for a beer... not the best choice for a weekend of drinking... you could buy a Corona near our hotel on the front for 3.50 euros...

I'm not tight but who goes away to spend there weekend at an expensive bar drinking all day and night?

Yes I know the £ is weak... but you would think if a venue is catering just for you all weekend then maybe a drinks promotion would be good... I dj'd there all 3 days and at one stage came of the decks to buy a drink... never even got a free drink all weekend!!!!

I only found out Sunday that the daytime dj's got free entry to the night time do...

No one told us before then, and it was another dj that told me not an organiser.

Anyway we then made the journey back Saturday night, we decided to go in even though it looked empty, the dj's played excellent sets but again the venue was empty, there was a good buzz on the dance floor, and everyone stood around the edge, but if you looked behind them there was a lot of space I reckon we used about a third of the space of the venue... and we all had plenty of room.

Now there was no advertised do on Sunday night only an afternoon leaving party that went on late...

I was asked to do a spot that night at the R&C, which I agreed to... but when we got to the club at about 5ish... we was then asked to dj there that night (me and Mick)

Any way back to the club I was due to dj at 6.30 but a couple of run ons meant 7... This wasn't a problem but I was due to dj again now in the main room at 9.45... I came off at 7.30 Mick went on at 7.30 till 8.

So then another 25 minute bus ride we got back showered and had to eat... getting back for 9.45 wasn't going to happen, it just wasn't possible in the real world.. So ended up having a chilled out dinner at finishing off at the R&C... again listening to some top tunes...

Monday night we went to the R&C where I had the pleasure of finishing off the weekend 12 till 1 am

It lacked atmosphere...

In the old venue people came and went all day in this new venue that never happened, because it was at the other end of the town... there was none of that popping in for a beer, while the wife was getting ready, if the wife wanted to leave you couldn't walk her back and then come back again... in my eyes this venue was wrong... or you could say I was at the wrong end of town!!!

I hope it works out for the organisers I really do but for me that's my last one, it really done nothing for me... I think it was the new venue, what with the bus ride numbers down expensive drinks etc...

This is only my view and its good to see other people enjoyed it... each to there own...

I was in a group of 8 we all said it wasn't as good this year and 6 of us said that we wouldn't be back next year, I never asked the other 2!!!

It's hard sometimes being honest but hopefully the organisers will take some things on board and move forward next year... they are welcome to PM me and I will be more graphic if they wish or email me mrmensc@hotmail.com.

but they can tell me to shut up if they want as this is only my view any way :lol:

what i should say is the music i heard at both the club in the afternoon and in the club in the evening was excellant...

also the music at the R&C was excellant i think having to sort your records out and not taking and surpless makes the sets more intresting.. I myself took about 50 records and done 3 sets, so every record i had to think about when i sorted them out to take.. :yes:

Sorry if this post offends anyone :P

I agree with this post 100% and will reply in full at a later date, I think after hearing "Make a change" 3 times in 4 hours I got the message!

Good spot (Friday) BTW

Blake

Guest andrew bin

When I go to events in Europe the music/doos are secondary I personally go for the company and the craic so to me the weekend was a success although I do agree with mischief's honest and constructive post (well apart from the bus ride, my hotel was about 100yrds away and it only cost 300 Euros for 5 nights) :yes:

Although I thought the venue was superb it was wrong for the amount of people that were there, but I have to say the music I heard on Saturday was excellent (I wasn't there on Friday) and for me kitch was the outstanding :lol: i wasn't there sunday because we went out for meal which didn't finish untill about 12.30 :D

I particularly enjoyed the afternoon sessions at the club were I thought all the dj's did a blinding job it was really nice to sit and chill listening to a great mix of music whilst enjoying my expensive beer :( and eating Free snacks :P (which were lovely) but I personally preferred the last venue were you could go outside and have a chat coffee beer etc this is in no way negative post and I would not want dissuade any one from going to the Rimini weekender but I do think there are a couple of things that need to be addressed

it was great to meet up with friends from Europe and the UK :P

Guest andrew bin

I don' think it would offend anyone. In fact, the Italian organisers are some of the nicest people we have ever met and seriously worry about making people happy, because they want this music there so much :P .

But can you imagine what would happen if they came to England and decided to set up their own nights down the road from an English weekender?

It's no wonder that someone said that they were ashamed to be British :P after hearing about the pre-arranged Rose & Crown (R&C) decks and dj's, as well as the rubbishing of the real event. Others felt they had to apologise on their behalf and I found that really sad.

as far as was aware there wasn't soul night advertised for sunday and as for being ashamed to be british :lol: whats that all about if i was going to ashamed it would be because of some people smuggling cocaine into a foreign country (some thing i over heard not amimed at you maria) why cant these people go with out it for a one weekend ffs :D or if they need gear that desperate buy it over there,

That's what I am asking myself - as a promoter and dj - since months...

:thumbup:

Guest marco i

I wasn't in Rimini, so may be I'm not the right person to answer, but I think that the problem in Italy is not that the crowd is not supporting their own dos - some of us still do it with heart and soul - but mainly that the crowd is too small (can you still call it a crowd when it is small?).

There is a number of passionate punters and a number of good good djs, but we do not reach the critical mass which ensures success to soul nights, allnighters and weekenders. When numbers are already low it is sufficient to have a few people not attending for personal reasons and suddenly "lot seem to be missing".

All through the year numbers have been down at any Italian event (I would say excluded Rome, but it was the first allnighter in the capital since years) regardless the quality of the music and the big names called to dj from abroad.

Hope to be wrong, but the future does not seem to be so bright in sunny Italy...

Marco

Edited by marco i

There is a number of passionate punters and a number of good good djs, but we do not reach the critical mass which ensures success to soul nights, allnighters and weekenders. When numbers are already low it is sufficient to have a few people not attending for personal reasons and suddenly "lot seem to be missing".

Marco

Marco this is a real shame, I understand that people have lives outside of Soul, but when you come to Italy for a weekender you would expect to see more Italians supporting it.

It would have been good if there was one night or day that was an all Italian dj line up..

you do have the dj's out there we all know that...

I won't name names as thats not what this is about, its good to see the organisers bring over quality UK dj's in the evening, as i'm sure a lot of the Italian crowd wouldn't get the chance to see them otherwise..

but also it would be good for the Italian dj's to have a chance to dj for the English Dancers..

It's a hard one but hopefully this will give the promters in Italy some thing to think about.

:thumbup:

Guest marco i

I fully agree with you that a fair number of Italian djs would be a good idea.

In the past I often told it to the organisers, who are good friends of mine - I organise an allnighter with Cristian and Simone in Cesenatico every year - and whose hard work I respect, knowing how hard it can be to run a weekender in Italy.

In my humble opinion also for the English dancers it would make more sense and be more interesting and refreshing coming to Italy to listen and dance to Italian djs, but often Italians are too xenophile... :thumbup:

Marco

It would have been good if there was one night or day that was an all Italian dj line up..

I don' think it would offend anyone. In fact, the Italian organisers are some of the nicest people we have ever met and seriously worry about making people happy, because they want this music there so much :rolleyes: .

It's no wonder that someone said that they were ashamed to be British :thumbsup: after hearing about the pre-arranged Rose & Crown (R&C) decks and dj's, as well as the rubbishing of the real event. Others felt they had to apologise on their behalf and I found that really sad.

Are you seriously saying some Brits set up alternative nights in the same town? I know there was talk of this last year, but I thought it was just a few guys with some CD's and an aspiration to play some Y2K stuff over their (chicken in a basket) dinner. Sounds like it was much more organised this year if I am reading your post correctly Maria - and if I am then what happened is extremely rude and direspectful to the Italian guys who organise and run Rimini.

It's their event so why do some Brits think they can "pitch up" down the road and run an alternative event? Arrogance maybe? A case of too many DJs in town?

Disrespect?

Frankly it sounds embarrassing, and I am sure the vast majority of attending Brits would see something fundamentally wrong with this. Anyway you wouldn't catch me for dead in a "Brit pub" in the Med when you got all that lovely fish, pasta and pizza to eat!

I have to agree with Inge, sadly.

Well, all the allnighters I've been to this year in Italy (not many really, just Pisa, Rimini in February and then this one) have been very good nights in my opinion, but sometimes number were down.

For example when in February the organizers called Soul Sam and Sean Chapman (+ all the italian crew), I would expect many more people.

This one instead was exactly how I would expect it and I've been satisfied with it.

I've got also to add, being 19, that I can't see many young people here in Italy (don't mean 19, but even under 30! :rolleyes: )

Tommaso

Are you seriously saying some Brits set up alternative nights in the same town?

It's their event so why do some Brits think they can "pitch up" down the road and run an alternative event? Arrogance maybe? A case of too many DJs in town?

Disrespect?

Frankly it sounds embarrassing, and I am sure the vast majority of attending Brits would see something fundamentally wrong with this.

Steve,

The Rimini weekender was advertised as

https://www.gambettolasoulcity.net/

Friday

4.30 - 8.30 afternoon/dinnertime session,bar

10.30 - 5.00 niter, main room

Saturday

10.30 - 5.30 niter, main room

Sunday

5.00 - 9.00 afternoon/evening - goodbye session,bar

Someone did organise something in the R&C for the Thursday night, for when we arrived, bit of background music and a pint so you could catch up with your friends..

It was also organised for Sunday and Monday nights as there was nothing advertised for those evenings either...

As it turned out the Italians (don't mean that in a rude way - Sorry) then said there was a do on on Sunday night!!!

But I can't comment on this as I never went, as I was eating out (Lobster Risotto), so I have no idea about numbers.

And because I was eating out I can't comment on numbers at the R&C either..

but .. I did however turn up at the R&C after eating out because I couldn't be arsed to sit on a bus for 25 minutes, and then 25 minutes afterwards...

there was no more than half a dozen faces at the R&C.. but this was well gone midnight about 1am so I imagine anyone out was at the do..

I agree it does look rude in black and white, but it was organised with good intentions and not meant to clash or take the crowd away from the main do at all.

There was no do's on at the R&C during any of the days or on Friday or Saturday night..

Bit like the guys with the CD's playing over there Chicken in a basket, I take it they would have been playing when the main do wasn't on as well?

As far as I understood it, it was just to give everyone some where to go on the nights nothing else was on.. and have a beer if they wanted to.. when the main do wasn't on..

Okay my view on Rimini :ohmy:

We got there late as we went out for dinner... food was awesome. :)

But a lot of people seemed to be missing from the previous 2 years. :(

It lacked atmosphere...

but they can tell me to shut up if they want as this is only my view any way :rolleyes:

also the music at the R&C was excellant i think having to sort your records out and not taking and surpless makes the sets more intresting.. I myself took about 50 records and done 3 sets, so every record i had to think about when i sorted them out to take.. :)

Sorry if this post offends anyone :unsure:

Yeah, I might as well jump on this thread as it fits the most with my experience of the weekend. Firstly, thanks to the organisers, notwithstanding my comments below, it's a thankless task and we did enjoy ourselves.

It was the first Rimini for me and my three Yorkie soul mates. We get to quite a few weekenders and soul nights around the UK so I've experienced most extremes from "Corporate Northern Soul with all the trimmings - no room to dance - play the same oldie 5 times a night" KRL specials to more selectively attended "Connoisseur - underplayed rarities - what the *'$# is this they're playing - up your own backside" indulgences. Thankfully Rimini was neither of these and certainly fell between the two and I generally enjoyed the quality of music being played (although some of the more modern sets went on too long for my liking). Not sure about the tiled dancefloor - nearly broke my neck! - but I suppose that's what you get in night clubs.

Sure the drinks were certainly too expensive at 6 Euros a throw. The venue was obviously a proper club and used to ripping off 16-25 year olds who probably don't give a shit about the price of drinks but at my age I'm afraid ripping people off just isn't the spirit of the Soul Scene. Yes the venue was also far too big for the number that attended although I was told on Friday night that "over 100" UK punters were expected. I assumed at least a similar number of Italians would be there as well but I reckon there was less than 100 people there on either night. Something's not right when an "International" event gets less people than the monthly "Wheeltappers & Shunters, Miners Welfare labour and social club, Hicksville, West Yorkshire". I don't know anything about the politics, rival gigs or people boycotting but it's a shame if these factors led to the poor attendance.

Our group were all a bit whacked by Sunday night after a day on the beach and a late dinner so we decided not to attend the advertised "Bar Session" as we thought it would be just sitting around listening to some tunes and we were comfortable where we were. We'd had a good day and were due to be up early on Monday for flights. However, had we known there was another night in the main room we would have certainly made the effort. Why wasn't this advertised for all to know?

Or hotel was reasonable walking distance from the club (20 mins) (but more like 40 mins stagger at 6.30 Sat/Sun morning!), so transport wasn't a problem

All in all we had a great time but to be honest the soul gig ended up being incidental. It was a very pleasant 5-day break with great weather, fabulous food, friends and which happened to have two good nights of dancing to soul in the middle of it. I would have preferred to have come home saying we had a great time AND the weekender was BRILLIANT.

Would I go again? Hmmm there's a big world out there. I hear Valencia calling my name.

Great to see Nicki after all this time and meet some other really top people from UK and beyond.

Ciao

Jorge

I've got also to add, being 19, that I can't see many young people here in Italy (don't mean 19, but even under 30! :rolleyes: )

Young At Heart Soul Club!!!

:unsure:

All in all we had a great time but to be honest the soul gig ended up being incidental. It was a very pleasant 5-day break with great weather, fabulous food, friends and which happened to have two good nights of dancing to soul in the middle of it. I would have preferred to have come home saying we had a great time AND the weekender was BRILLIANT.

Jorge

Having been to Rimini for the past 4 or 5 years, we were unable to attend this year having just got back from holiday in Sardinia. However what you have said above actually explains the lack of numbers at the dances. Rimini is a fantastic place and is probably too nice a place if you see what I mean. A great beach, great food, especially off the beaten track, great weather, good friends and much fun. Last year we only spent 20 minutes in the dance. Several friends were also unable to attend this year due to a wedding all had been invited to, otherwise we would probably have gone anyway (if we could find the cash/ time off work).

Rimini is the dances' own worst enemy!

Paul

Guest andrew bin

I have to agree with Inge, sadly.

Well, all the allnighters I've been to this year in Italy (not many really, just Pisa, Rimini in February and then this one) have been very good nights in my opinion, but sometimes number were down.

For example when in February the organizers called Soul Sam and Sean Chapman (+ all the italian crew), I would expect many more people.

This one instead was exactly how I would expect it and I've been satisfied with it.

I've got also to add, being 19, that I can't see many young people here in Italy (don't mean 19, but even under 30! :ohmy: )

Tommaso

i also enjoyed rimini in february the music was spot on :rolleyes: and the life bar venue was ideal just the right size to create an atmosphere

you forgot to mention Arezzo, that was two excellent well attended allnighters :unsure: i really enjoyed them

weekender in pisa :):) now that would be a good idea

Edited by andrew bin
Guest Catfish

Steve,

The Rimini weekender was advertised as

https://www.gambettolasoulcity.net/

Friday

10.30 - 5.00 niter, main room

Saturday

10.30 - 5.30 niter, main room

Sunday

5.00 - 9.00 afternoon/evening - goodbye session,bar

Someone did organise something in the R&C for the Thursday night, for when we arrived, bit of background music and a pint so you could catch up with your friends..

It was also organised for Sunday and Monday nights as there was nothing advertised for those evenings either...

As it turned out the Italians (don't mean that in a rude way - Sorry) then said there was a do on on Sunday night!!!

...there was no more than half a dozen faces at the R&C.. but this was well gone midnight about 1am so I imagine anyone out was at the do..

I agree it does look rude in black and white, but it was organised with good intentions and not meant to clash or take the crowd away from the main do at all.

(ABSOLUTELY!!)

There was no do's on at the R&C during any of the days or on Friday or Saturday night..

Bit like the guys with the CD's playing over there Chicken in a basket, I take it they would have been playing when the main do wasn't on as well?

As far as I understood it, it was just to give everyone some where to go on the nights nothing else was on.. and have a beer if they wanted to.. when the main do wasn't on..

Yes this is absolutely as I understood it. The mate I was with was there when these R&C do's were organised last year-and remembered the conversation with the R&C staff. That was also when everyone had no reason to believe that the event wouldn't carry on at the old venue which was near the R&C. Also when I went in on Friday I was clearly told by the door lady that they 'did not yet know if there would be any do on the Sunday night.'

Therefore the clash which was only on Sun night was a pure accident and if the do had been in the original place wouldn't even have been so much of an issue, if it was- which as far as I'm concerned it wasn't- there were still about 30 people dancing and having a good time on Sun night (I'm guessing no's but I've seen a lot worse!)

There was no ill intent from the R&C organisers, who in some cases ended up being asked to be in 2 places at once and being wrong-footed due to there being no DJ roster. However this also contributed to the relaxed atmosphere of the weekend.

However if you look through the window & think 'oh, no-one's in there'- well, hey we went in there- at 10pm Fri and Sat night cos I didn't know the blooming times- but we just sat and chilled & had a drink. Someone always has to be first in the door (or in the first 20), first on the dancefloor, otherwise if we all looked and said 'oh it's not busy enough for me', then how many do's would just never happen!?

I'm personally VERY glad I went on Sunday night- I left at 1am and understand it went on considerably later- but it was an excellent night.

As for Andrew's comments re people importing things- I saw no evidence of this, but if people choose to that risk, they are just imbecile; an airport is not a clever place to go with those things. In the end they would get caught and the consequences would be severe- I don't want to know, as long as they are not travelling with me. What we don't know about won't hurt us!

Michele

xx

Edited by Catfish

you forgot to mention Arezzo, that was two excellent well attended allnighters :rolleyes: i really enjoyed them

Thanks Andrew,

well I didn't include it because it was mainly a mod event, and mod scene in here doesn't suffer the same "numbers" problems of the soul one (it's got some problems too, anyway).

It's no wonder that someone said that they were ashamed to be British :thumbup: after hearing about the pre-arranged Rose & Crown (R&C) decks and dj's, as well as the rubbishing of the real event. Others felt they had to apologise on their behalf and I found that really sad.

correct me if i'm wrong maria, but the way i understood it was, that the rimini soul weekender started at 1400 hours on friday afternoon, so, how can the playing of records as background music at the rose & crown on THURSDAY night be viewed as a rival do, to be a rival do it would have to be in direct competition, which it clearly was not, regards people saying they were ashamed to be british & having to appologise on my behalf, well, what a load of bollocks, no one has done anything wrong, so why the need to appologise

hey catfish(great dancer) i remember your run on the desk ehehe i was the one that have played it and cristian was older than me ahuahuahuahuahu however yes is marge dodson on decca be your baby...

i'm little busy...soon i'll leave my point of view

hey mischief (paul) what's happen??...i ever see you with a smile!!!

hey catfish(great dancer) i remember your run on the desk ehehe i was the one that have played it and cristian was older than me ahuahuahuahuahu however yes is marge dodson on decca be your baby...

I always smile.. Alfie my views on the weekend are not aimed at the people that run it just the veuue, prices, bus ride etc..

sorry

Guest Catfish

Hey thanks for that... a girl needs a compliment once in a while.. and dancing is generally all I get compliments about these days- that and work- but that's fine by me!

Nice to meet you, sorry I got your name wrong, I am USELESS at identifying DJ's... in UK I can use the excuse 'they are all bald with a beer gut'.. in Italy I shall have to say 'they are all dark, fit and handsome'.. ahem, enough shmoozing for one day.

Take it easy,

Michele

One of the best soul dos ever for me. Musically superb.

Great to meet up with old friends & make a few new acquaintances (hello one & all).

I thought the Rose & Crown dos were a success & really complimented the main event.

Steve G in his post above has been sadly misinformed.

Sure there is room for improvements with the main do eg. no DJ times were posted for either Friday or Saturday night.

When a paying customer asked for details from the organiser they were advised that as they weren't a DJ they weren't entitled to know!

But having that little moan, I'd rate the whole very long weekend as excellent.

Col.

ps if 6 euros is too expensive for a drink, try drinking a bit less or working a bit smarter :wink:

Edited by Soulsmith

I think this weekender was great!

Friday was good but especially Saturday and Sunday were really in my taste, musically I would say that Saturday was as good as it gets.. Nice that there were more of a 60's focus this time than two years ago..

Went to the R&C on Monday and Tuesday night and had a good time there as well and met some very friendly people..

About the beer prices, yes 6 is a tad high but they also had drinks for that same price, and those were large and quite strong too. If we had drink prices like that over here in Sweden, they would have to keep ambulances on standby smile.gif

It's a little sad to hear about people who travel all the way down there and then don't go into the venue, but that's their problem and their loss...

Would like to thank the organisers of this event ,we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves ! i certainly ain't interseted in getting into any political debates but let's be honest what a utter disgrace and lack of respect for the organisers of rimini who are class A people who actually never even commented on the pub sessions that took place last weekend.when you've got u.k people with playboxes at the airport who never even went to the weekender - speaks volumes...

Would like to thank the organisers of this event ,we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves ! i certainly ain't interseted in getting into any political debates but let's be honest what a utter disgrace and lack of respect for the organisers of rimini who are class A people who actually never even commented on the pub sessions that took place last weekend.when you've got u.k people with playboxes at the airport who never even went to the weekender - speaks volumes...

how does it speak volumes andy ?????? ive been to rimini for the past six years, paid my door tax into every alnighter, so, i think it would be fair to say ive been a good supporter of this event, however, this year i chose not to attend the allnighters, not as some people have suggested as some kind of boycott, but because i did not want to, simple as that, by the way i did attend the weekender on saturday afternoon

p.s. its a bit offside to call people a disgrace when you dont know the full facts as to why they did not attend

Edited by soulman1964

Hey thanks for that... a girl needs a compliment once in a while.. and dancing is generally all I get compliments about these days- that and work- but that's fine by me!

Nice to meet you, sorry I got your name wrong, I am USELESS at identifying DJ's... in UK I can use the excuse 'they are all bald with a beer gut'.. in Italy I shall have to say 'they are all dark, fit and handsome'.. ahem, enough shmoozing for one day.

Take it easy,

Michele

nothing to sorry michele....all the best

see you!!

It was a stunning weekend.

Perfect weather, great DJs, nice people...

It is really a pity that it seemed the italians were not supporting this event.

Marco mentioned the reason for this already.

Felt like on a weekender in UK... :-)

Anyway... Met some nice new friends and really enjoyed myself.

Regarding the price for a beer at the venue:

I decided to drink Cuba Libre instead of beer as the price was the same... :-p

Hope to see some of you guys soon again.

Keep the faith!

All the best!

Ollo

Edited by Ollo

as far as was aware there wasn't soul night advertised for sunday and as for being ashamed to be british :Dwhats that all about if i was going to ashamed it would be because of some people smuggling cocaine into a foreign country (some thing i over heard not amimed at you maria) why cant these people go with out it for a one weekend ffs :lol: or if they need gear that desperate buy it over there,

By including my name in the same sentence as that rotten stuff, it falsely implies that I am involved. I hope you can understand that I have a problem with that and therefore feel the need to reply, mainly because I travelled with my family to Rimini and that included my step-children.

I don't know if anybody who flew to the weekender was stupid enough to risk a criminal record by travelling through security with illegal substances - and to be honest, I don't really care (- what most people do with their own lives, is their own business). But if it was somehow true, I very much doubt that they would advertise it afterwards. I guess that by then posting about it in this public forum, the right authorities have picked up on it by now anyway and it's unlikely to ever happen in the future :P

I've been away for most of the last week, but thought I'd still better add that I never went on about 'rivalry' of the nights. I merely stated that the other nights were down the road from the weekender and also what others near me had said about it all (certain comments stayed with me). I personally cannot understand why anyone would tag on their own soul entertainment in the same town in the same week as someone's else's foreign weekender, particularly as there was so much already competing for people's time and money. As far as I know, it was not even discussed with our Italian hosts. Yes, I found that very rude and understood how some felt embarassed by it.

The weekender promoters are trying to organise a fun and relaxing holiday-style rare soul weekender (an annual event we first fell in love with in 2002). Maybe this does not sit well with those who need more information and organisation, but there is something charming and unassuming with it all. I admit that I would do a few things differently myself as others have similarly stated, but it's not my weekender to do that. (I'm just happy to help with very minor matters here when asked by our friends). Besides, I don't think I could cope with the large number of requests they get for dj spots there (and those who push forward regardless).

I'm sorry to drag this all back into the mud again, especially as further positive comments are starting to get posted.

So to end, I'd like to thank the kind soul who sent me some photos of the magical sunrise in the venue (approx 6am) which I mentioned in my first post - and I hope we can now inspire some playlists and photo links up here soon :unsure: ,

m

Guest peter burke

HI Ollo,

Have to say what a fantastic weekend we had, so many laughs, so many good friends, even made some new ones!

I loved the new venue, not least because the bar staff were so kind to Pete!!!!!!!! the sunrise was magical, and as we were last to leave both niters got to see it twice! Pete told Mauritzio we did not need a key for the hotel main door as we would not be returning until 7.30am.!

After eight years of attending this weekender I still find it at the top of my must do list. Rachel our cousin was living in

Rimini when we first visited and guess what, worked in the Rose and Crown which was why we used to spend time there with her and our other friends working there, happy memories, but she and Micheal have now moved back to the UK after more than 15 years in Rimini, so the several trips a year have no dropped to one.

Christina, Simone, Christian, well done, having been at every session, catching the number 11 to and from, we did not miss a minute, the music was a real mix and as we both have open minds of stomping Oldies right through, crossover and modern [ Pete reminded me in the car the other day of dancing with Ledisi to Queen Latifa at Jazz cafe, [him, not me] we enjoyed everyone of those minutes.

In conclusion, the people, the venue, the music, the sunshine and just a small amount of booze made some very happy memories for us, THANK YOU.

Look forward to seeing some of you in Hamburg or Valencia in September, special Hi to Barbara and Ollo,

Love Karen [and Pete] xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Look forward to seeing some of you in Hamburg

Hi Karen & Pete,

already booked the flights for Hamburg, as well as for the soul weekender in Nuernberg in december.. (highly recommended too!)

Hope to meet you up there! (and do not forget Bamberg...)

Greetings from the Soulflower & The Race Man...

Guest Roccia

I am USELESS at identifying DJ's... in UK I can use the excuse 'they are all bald with a beer gut'.. in Italy I shall have to say 'they are all dark, fit and handsome'.. ahem, enough shmoozing for one day.

Take it easy,

Michele

Sadly enough, there are some exceptions... :lol:

HI Ollo,

Have to say what a fantastic weekend we had, so many laughs, so many good friends, even made some new ones!

I loved the new venue, not least because the bar staff were so kind to Pete!!!!!!!! the sunrise was magical, and as we were last to leave both niters got to see it twice! Pete told Mauritzio we did not need a key for the hotel main door as we would not be returning until 7.30am.!

After eight years of attending this weekender I still find it at the top of my must do list. Rachel our cousin was living in

Rimini when we first visited and guess what, worked in the Rose and Crown which was why we used to spend time there with her and our other friends working there, happy memories, but she and Micheal have now moved back to the UK after more than 15 years in Rimini, so the several trips a year have no dropped to one.

Christina, Simone, Christian, well done, having been at every session, catching the number 11 to and from, we did not miss a minute, the music was a real mix and as we both have open minds of stomping Oldies right through, crossover and modern [ Pete reminded me in the car the other day of dancing with Ledisi to Queen Latifa at Jazz cafe, [him, not me] we enjoyed everyone of those minutes.

In conclusion, the people, the venue, the music, the sunshine and just a small amount of booze made some very happy memories for us, THANK YOU.

Look forward to seeing some of you in Hamburg or Valencia in September, special Hi to Barbara and Ollo,

Love Karen [and Pete] xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi

Just like to add, My wife and i enjoyed the weekender, it was our first visit, we met some nice people from UK and Italy, even a fellow from Nottingham who lives out there now, plus a Italian soulie with three lions tattoo and what knowledge he had of the music, Thanks to badge man Keith for the intro's top bloke, Will do it again well done to the organisors,

Regards Mall Redman

Co- Promoter Federation @ Central Soul Clubs Nottingham

Guest peter burke

Karen,

Valencia is in October, Hitsville is in September. Both are highly recommended.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the month check, must get a new watch!

It was nice to spend time with you all in Rimini and look forward to catching up in Valencia.

KAREN [AND PETE] X

Hi soulful folks,

first off all, thanks to your precious support for the Rimini Weekender 7,

an especially felt on our part because of the new venue.

Regarding feedbacks posted here,

we would like to explain a few things in order to clear things out on some facts, because we believe each one should be free to express his own opinions, feedbacks ect... and we regard any feedback or suggestion a precious tip to improve our weekender.

Rose & Crown pub:

anything concerning the R.&C. (located nearby the old venue...) is not connected in any way to the Rimini rare soul weekender. No warm-up or anything else was set up at the aforementioned place.

In fact, 2 years ago ,the first time we heard about that, we were quite surprised to know that some foreiner people were going to get a little niter there , because it was the first year we could get a niter on Sunday; fortunately Mr.John Kane , who had contacted the pub, told us later that it had been a misunderstanding...

Last year we had known that some people stayed in R&C during the weekender days... this year the same thing. On Sunday afternoon we have announced the niter and the line-up which featured some bar djs. Unfortunately this year we could not know with certainty till Saturday 19th if it would been the niter after 9pm , as it was written on the weekender programme. However I emailed all the djs and several people that the niter would probably be on (see also the topic on Event section).

Anyway no polemic against no one about that please, in our opinion people who come to the Rimini weekender are free to decide to not attend the niters or decide to organize a concurrent party in another place are totally free to do so, of course we are sad about that.

Bar session djs , venue location ect..:

We always receive with pleasure the requests by the djs who would like a slot during the bar session and we try to get a set for everybody,also often we have agreed with bar's owners on a free pass for them and some times a few free drinks as well, but we cannot guarantee that all weekender editions, ,particularly this year, in any case before the event we tell it to the bar djs.

About the new venue location, we have worked to help the people out to book an accommodation nearby Gotha as much as possible, by the way many thanks to Maria for her support again, but everyone chooses the accomodation he likes more naturally (Also we can't decide the drink/food 'policy' of the club, we can only suggest to keep friendly prices).

At the end we can say that we are sorry for any misunderstanding and as always we will try to improve the Rimini rare soul weekender, til' next year!

THANKS TO YOU ALL,

Rimini weekender's organizers.

p.s. the playlists will be put on the site as soon as possible

Edited by Cristian
Guest TIKIKOBI

It's no wonder that someone said that they were ashamed to be British sad.gif after hearing about the pre-arranged Rose & Crown (R&C) decks and dj's, as well as the rubbishing of the real event. Others felt they had to apologise on their behalf and I found that really sad.

I go to Rimini for a week, as I have now for the last 4 years to listen to some great tunes, have a slide and catch some rays, and to my horrow when I return I find out that some people are causing rifts. I would just like to say to those FEW people that were unhappy that you must get all your facts straight before casting aspersions - no one rubbished anything! and never would. Everyone knows the rules, like smoking and drinking on the dance floor - its not done - the same goes for bad mouthing fellow northern soulers - its not done!

I personally thought it was a brilliant idea to have music at the R&C, to build up to the main event and then to chill and reflect afterwards and I think this was purely the intention. I loved it, because as I said I go for a week (as many do), and it was bliss to think I had the sunshine and a whole week of great music to listen too - what an unexpected treat!

What I can't understand is, that if the organisers or anyone else had a problem with it, why didn't they speak to the guys there and then and not wait to hide behind emails to voice their opinions.

The only time there was any clash, was Sunday night and that's because the club did not advertise that there would be a late session - finish at 9pm! Anyway, with the local police watching Valentino win the Moto GP at the R&C, the music was very subdued.

There were locals dancing at the bus stops and the shops loved it - they even told people about the main event at Gotha - it was a great relaxed atmosphere, what us 'brits' go on holiday for (well the majority, it looks as though some go to find fault) - you need to learn to chill - as long as YOU enjoyed yourself and WE enjoyed ourselves - what is the problem?

As I understand the guys DJ'd for FREE, that's dedication and love of the music and from their own words - 'something a little extra to keep the fantastic weekender going for that little bit longer, before we have to face going back home.

Gotha Friday + Saturday Night

Sunday til 9pm not advertised as a late session

R&C Thursday Night

Sunday Night only because, everyone thought Gotha was shut

Monday + Tuesday Night

I really can't believe some of the comments I have read - the love of Northern brings friends together not bitter back stabbing remarks.

I will still be back next year - for a week or maybe even longer - I love the set up all round - as the saying goes 'variety is the spice of life'

Ciao ciao

:wave::Dbiggrin.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news when we came back home fm Rimini...

on friday nite, while using an (fake...) ATM close to the Gotha Club, the card's information had been stolen... and all the money on the bank account too... :lol:

Bad end of a nice weekend......

Source Advert