James Walsh Gypsy Band - Cuz It's You, Girl

Is there any difference between local & RCA mixes of JAMES WALSH GYPSY BAND - Cuz It's You, Girl.............local sounds beefier to me & slightly different in a subtle way that I cant put my finger on, Im wondering if its the quality of the sound file of the local issue mix..............can anyone help please.

Thanks

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 33
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I can never knock this record.

It was the first 45 I ever bought from the US and the first currently 'in-demand' sound I ever got my hands on. The anticipation of the disc arriving was unbearable in the days of scouring magazines like Discoveries or Goldmine, the exotic process of submitting written postal bids etc, which coupled with shipping seemed to take months in those days.

When the record arrived and I played it at home it was obviously the work of an Eagles-inspired soft-rock group and I was really crushed. When I had heard it played out by the likes of Adam B and Dave Thorley I had somehow convinced myself that it sounded like the work of a vocal group to rank alongside The Dramatics or Masqueraders (youth eh!).

Years later I found a few dozen copies buried in a (very) large pile of soul singles in the Reggae Revive shop just around the corner from where I was living in Kensal Rise. They ranged in condition from mint to hopelessly mildewed and water damaged (I think the last three copies were actually bonded together in a kind of super-thick RCA single). On punting them out I think the most I got for a copy was a tenner. A few months later it started unaccountably selling again for proper money and I was gutted to think I'd missed the sailing of that particular boat.

Despite all of this I still love the record; it has a magic that will never dim for me. I too was really excited to see the light blue local issue and am still wondering if it's a radically different version. It would be great if some kind soul could post up the 'local' version.

Social source share

Is there any difference between local & RCA mixes of JAMES WALSH GYPSY BAND - Cuz It's You, Girl.............local sounds beefier to me & slightly different in a subtle way that I cant put my finger on, Im wondering if its the quality of the sound file of the local issue mix..............can anyone help please.

Thanks

Russ

what label is the local on?

value?

Social source share

When the record arrived and I played it at home it was obviously the work of an Eagles-inspired soft-rock group and I was really crushed. When I had heard it played out by the likes of Adam B and Dave Thorley I had somehow convinced myself that it sounded like the work of a vocal group to rank alongside The Dramatics or Masqueraders (youth eh!).

I bought Adam's copy off him, I think he got it from Pat Brady. It was a test press with plain white labels and 'Gypsy' written on it in blue biro. I let it go when I picked up a UK demo copy which is a little bit longer than the US press; I've never seen a UK issue though.

Social source share

I bought Adam's copy off him, I think he got it from Pat Brady. It was a test press with plain white labels and 'Gypsy' written on it in blue biro.

Ive seen one of them on ebay in the last couple of weeks, just thorght it was a carver jobbie thing so ignored it its not there now so someones had it

Social source share

the uk copy plays the same as the album around 4 mins i think. on the usa copy they shortened

it by about 30 seconds. gypsy had other stuff out earlier on rca so i should like to know where

this `local` release comes from. it made 70 odd on the pop charts but didnt make the soul

charts coz basically its not a soul record :rolleyes: ............ its still very good tho isnt it

dave

Social source share

Ive seen one of them on ebay in the last couple of weeks, just thorght it was a carver jobbie thing so ignored it its not there now so someones had it

:rolleyes::rolleyes: ..........well chuffed........as Simon T as described, plain white label, hand written credits 'Gypsy'......... 'Cause' not 'Cuz' still dont know if this is the same mix as the RCA release tho'............where is Steve G when you need him.............or anyone for that matter. Anyone an idea of value for the Test Press ???????????

Russ

Social source share

the uk copy plays the same as the album around 4 mins i think. on the usa copy they shortened

it by about 30 seconds. gypsy had other stuff out earlier on rca so i should like to know where

this `local` release comes from. it made 70 odd on the pop charts but didnt make the soul

charts coz basically its not a soul record :rolleyes: ............ its still very good tho isnt it

dave

It was released the year before on the local Dave.........dont know if this tallies up with the other RCA releases or not ?????.

Russ

Social source share

Yep, to me Seb..............but as there had been a comment that suggested that this was a carver, I wondered if I had blagged a bargain inadvertantly ????.

Russ

Not a carver,deffo'........local test ?,didnt sound as good as RCA single but could be a crap recording.

Social source share

Not a carver,deffo'........local test ?,didnt sound as good as RCA single but could be a crap recording.

I thought the soundfile was crap Ken, which lead me to ask the question of whether the mix is different, lots of bass which distorts the sound, I think this is probably just the way the seller did the soundfile tho'...............I hope anyway :lol: .

Russ

Social source share

local test ?,didnt sound as good as RCA single but could be a crap recording.

Accoding to the seller of the test-pressing it has got:

"PA/PB-11403 in the runoff"

My RCA vinyl issue copy has got PB-11403A and PB-11403B in the run-out grooves, so it's most likely a test-pressing for the RCA release.

A very nice item in any case! :lol:

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

My RCA vinyl issue copy has got PB-11403A and PB-11403B in the run-out grooves, so it's most likely a test-pressing for the RCA release.

Ah, thank you for that Seb, altho' the seller suggests it was the earlier label test press, which mislead me slightly, but still happy.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Ah, thank you for that Seb, altho' the seller suggests it was the earlier label test press, which mislead me slightly, but still happy.

Russ

Pretty cool me thinks,like Pottsy's too. :lol:

Social source share

Here you go Pete.

Can't remember if there is any difference between this & the RCA release, will give it a play in the morning & see.

Ok, my test press must be the RCA as the F&E release, has the track at 4.06........so the local label must be a different cut or the same as the UK & LP cuts ?????.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

I haven't seen it for well over 20 years now, but I do remember it was on styrene and the plain white label was very glossy. It must have been a RCA copy as I remember it was about half a minutes shorter than the UK copy I got.

Social source share

Guest stonedsoul

that test pressing is legit, the same seller sold the f&e 45 about a month back, right after that one sold he listed the test pressing at a buy it now price of $250, it didn't sell so he relisted it, anyway i was the second highest bidder on the f&e copy with a bid around $325, i figured that was more than enough to win the record but apparently there's a guy out there with a gypsy shrine who wanted it more, his ebay username is actually gypsyshrine, probably the guy seen here https://www.midwesttribute.com/shrine.htm anyway the next highest bidder under me was around $200, my friend has a copy of the f&e, i may see him tonight, if i do i'll ask him if there's any difference

Social source share

Definitely a different mix. You can hear on the local issue more of the synthesizer, which strings were added to fill in on the RCA cut. Also, the vocal is a different take as well. The story is that the group had broken up in '75. James Walsh tried to restart the group with all new people, all the while the rest of the original band were still touring around. James used the Gypsy name on the local release, but was told he couldn't use the name, so they became The James Walsh Gypsy Band.

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Definitely a different mix. You can hear on the local issue more of the synthesizer, which strings were added to fill in on the RCA cut. Also, the vocal is a different take as well. The story is that the group had broken up in '75. James Walsh tried to restart the group with all new people, all the while the rest of the original band were still touring around. James used the Gypsy name on the local release, but was told he couldn't use the name, so they became The James Walsh Gypsy Band.

Nice one Mike........hope you are well mate.

Russ

Social source share

I agree deffo a different mix. Strings more prominent on RCA as you say and the F&E local release is more beefier sounding. + The vocals. To the untrained ear not paying attention in a club it might not sound that different, but it most definately is.

SImon can't tell the difference? That means one of two things

1) bad sound system

2) yer ears need a wash out :lol:

Steve

Social source share

ph34r.gifthumbup.gif ..........well chuffed........as Simon T as described, plain white label, hand written credits 'Gypsy'......... 'Cause' not 'Cuz' still dont know if this is the same mix as the RCA release tho'............where is Steve G when you need him.............or anyone for that matter. Anyone an idea of value for the Test Press ???????????

Russ

Well am glad its gone to a good home, thumbsup.gif was'nt sating it was a carver,more the fact that I dont know owt, if I had known it was legit I would of gone to about 80 quid on that, 50 seems a bit cheep to me, seeing the price for the RCA Issues are any were beteen 50 - 100 quid, but like i said I know nowt

:thumbup:

Social source share

I agree deffo a different mix. Strings more prominent on RCA as you say and the F&E local release is more beefier sounding. + The vocals. To the untrained ear not paying attention in a club it might not sound that different, but it most definately is.

SImon can't tell the difference? That means one of two things

1) bad sound system

2) yer ears need a wash out laugh.gif

Steve

huh.gif This reminds me of when your very good mate and master bought the Lou Curtain Revue Band ph34r.gif:thumbup:

Social source share

that test pressing is legit, the same seller sold the f&e 45 about a month back, right after that one sold he listed the test pressing at a buy it now price of $250, it didn't sell so he relisted it, anyway i was the second highest bidder on the f&e copy with a bid around $325, i figured that was more than enough to win the record but apparently there's a guy out there with a gypsy shrine who wanted it more, his ebay username is actually gypsyshrine, probably the guy seen here https://www.midwesttribute.com/shrine.htm anyway the next highest bidder under me was around $200, my friend has a copy of the f&e, i may see him tonight, if i do i'll ask him if there's any difference

Noticed the Lamont Cranston Band picture on the link above.

Any connection between the 2 bands?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!