The M.v.p.'s: Turning My Heartbeat Up

It is a good record and what is it with the word pop music cause it's made by say a white person. Does that mean every soul artist has to be black so if your white and your making soul music you don't count as soul.

===

its a classic Northern Soul record,,one of the most popular ever!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• Replies 65
  • Views 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

To quote Steve Cato from his thread in ABS, this is where the MVP's fits:

"There are some that you have heard/liked and danced to in the past but you aint too fussed if you never hear them again... They are now as welcome as second attack of vd or thrush... They just got so much hammer and now you realise they aint as good as you thought, you have heard many since to replace them..."

:lol:

Social source share

Interestly, what is with the Wigan bashing with this tune. it was a Colin Curtis spin at the Mecca first.

In Blues and Soul number 167, August 1975. Dave Godin did a whole feature on Colin inlcuding a list of ans decription of each tune (i am reading it now!)

The full list in the article is:

Lou Edwards - Talkin ' 'bout poor folks

The MVP's - Turnin my heartbeat up

Main Squeeze - Let it all come

Segments of Time - Memories

Jo Armstead - I got the vibes

Patsy Gallant - Get that ball

Jesse Fisher - Your not lovin a beginnner

Kenny Smith - Lord what's happening to your people

And quote re the MVP's, "right now though, I think only the Highlnd Room is playing it"

As for it being a white pop record, circa 15 to 20% of all Northern tunes played out in the heyday were by white(pop?) artists....

I loved dancing to it then and still listen to it now, to each thier own!

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Guest bradcam

I like it and "Ten Miles High". I agree they're not soul records. I came to the scene late and didn't have to put up with them being hammered.

Both still huge on the scooter scene. But then, so are many things that make me want to throw up. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Both still huge on the scooter scene. But then, so are many things that make me want to throw up. :thumbsup:

Haha you're not wrong :ohmy:

Social source share

Just a few mins Ken.

Couldn't believe it. :ohmy:

Top man indeed, :thumbsup: i,m in the whats not to believe camp you only have to listen to the Bside :lol: some ears need cleaning round here.

Social source share

Guest pinkyperky

Did not everyone make a "pop" record.. whether its Kylie Minogue The Rolling Stones or The Fabulous Peps... they all made the recording for one reason... to hope it's a chart success and bring them in wads of cash. I seriously doubt a lot of our heroes recorded stuff to find out only 20 copies where pressed anyway :lol:

Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 19/08/2018 at 13:02, wholebeing said:

Interestingly enough - the MVP's were not a white pop group after all - 

I never thought they were a white group!  But does it really make a lot of difference? 

It's the USA culture of the 1950's and 1960's, black and white, that made the sound that developed into what we call Soul music!

Africa has millions of black people, but no great soul music came out of there!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!