Eddie Foster: I Never Knew

How do you tell the difference between an original and a boot? Seen an Eddie Foster on Ebay which looks identical to mine but I cannot believe I have an original... no way Jose! A goodly fellow me and GT know has said my copy is worth about £20 quid and I have no reason to doubt him. :yes:

https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...A:IT&ih=018

A photo of mine is attached... they look soooo close... :thumbup: Good copies weren't they!

post-3669-1217081633_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• Replies 17
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

It did come out twice originally, 1st press with just "I never knew" in the run out ( as yours says !!) and the 2nd press had the label name & No in the run out.

The boot has poor print definition in the silver writing, if you haven't seen them enough it can be hard to spot but held side by side it,s quiet easy.

Your pic looks like it has good print, what else does it say if anything in the run out grooves ??

Ian.

Social source share

It did come out twice originally, 1st press with just "I never knew" in the run out ( as yours says !!) and the 2nd press had the label name & No in the run out.

The boot has poor print definition in the silver writing, if you haven't seen them enough it can be hard to spot but held side by side it,s quiet easy.

Your pic looks like it has good print, what else does it say if anything in the run out grooves ??

Ian.

in the run out it just says "I never knew" including the quotes... so what does this mean?

Social source share

check if yours has any other markings that could have been covered, some copies did have the name scratched in by themselves to fool folk too !!

if it has the record No as in 6311a, then it,s a bootleg, the original just had in 6311

looking at yours it looks real and a 1st issue meaning it,s worth £300+ :thumbup::yes:

Of course i could be wrong as well :D , looks good though.

Ian.

Social source share

check if yours has any other markings that could have been covered, some copies did have the name scratched in by themselves to fool folk too !!

if it has the record No as in 6311a, then it,s a bootleg, the original just had in 6311

looking at yours it looks real and a 1st issue meaning it,s worth £300+ :thumbsup::lol:

Of course i could be wrong as well :D , looks good though.

Ian.

Looking at the label on the Eddie Foster in my grubby mitt it looks identical to the photograph of the label in Kev Robert's Northern Soul Top 500 (page 103)... but you say that if the record states 6311-A it is a boot, mine does have that, as does the pic in the Top 500...

I've managed to take a reasonable pic of the run off and there is nothing else on it other than the name of the record... I'm still sure it is a boot though... any thoughts anyone?

post-3669-1217157683_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Looking at the label on the Eddie Foster in my grubby mitt it looks identical to the photograph of the label in Kev Robert's Northern Soul Top 500 (page 103)... but you say that if the record states 6311-A it is a boot, mine does have that, as does the pic in the Top 500...

I've managed to take a reasonable pic of the run off and there is nothing else on it other than the name of the record... I'm still sure it is a boot though... any thoughts anyone?

Definitely looks Original (1st press) to me,

Same Deadwax as my copy from Soul Bowl i.e.(Only the title scratched in).

I will take a Photo of my copy tomorrow.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

The picture shows the "I Never Knew" scratched in correctly and at the correct place matching up to the run-out grooves. The number IN 6311 was also scratched in on some originals, but NOT 6311-A scratched in. The number on the LABEL reads 6311-A on the original and the boot.

The blue label of the boot is blotchy, the original has an even rich blue colour.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The picture shows the "I Never Knew" scratched in correctly and at the correct place matching up to the run-out grooves. The number IN 6311 was also scratched in on some originals, but NOT 6311-A scratched in. The number on the LABEL reads 6311-A on the original and the boot.

The blue label of the boot is blotchy, the original has an even rich blue colour.

Well the label on my copy is certainly a rich blue and doesn't appear to be blotchy... as you can appreciate it is hard to keep the butterflies in my tummy from working over time and I still keep saying, like a mantra, it is a boot... it is a boot... anyway hopefully will be seeing someone later today who will be able to confirm either way... and also they'll be able to confirm that my Connie Clark - My Sugar Baby is kosher too... that too looks identical to the picture in Top 500 so I'm feeling hopeful that I've got two good 'uns with the Pete Warner... what an amazing weekend to find that I had these sat in my record box for the past thirty years...

Social source share

Well the label on my copy is certainly a rich blue and doesn't appear to be blotchy... as you can appreciate it is hard to keep the butterflies in my tummy from working over time and I still keep saying, like a mantra, it is a boot... it is a boot... anyway hopefully will be seeing someone later today who will be able to confirm either way... and also they'll be able to confirm that my Connie Clark - My Sugar Baby is kosher too... that too looks identical to the picture in Top 500 so I'm feeling hopeful that I've got two good 'uns with the Pete Warner... what an amazing weekend to find that I had these sat in my record box for the past thirty years...

The Connie Clark is easy to spot the boot. The yellow boot has "Exclusively released by Soul Galore" written on the label on the right hand side. The yellow original does not have this written on. The original has a lower delta number 58486, than the boot which is 96977.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

The Connie Clark is easy to spot the boot. The yellow boot has "Exclusively released by Soul Galore" written on the label on the right hand side. The yellow original does not have this written on. The original has a lower delta number 58486, than the boot which is 96977.

Yes, my copy does have a triangle followed by 58486... and it is in brilliant condition...

Social source share

I used to the Maroon colour label boot, haven't seen one for ages..

Social source share

Further news on the Eddie Foster... visited Pat Brady yesterday and he said it is an original and he was dead chuffed when he saw the Connie Clark and said that was the best condition of Connie Clark he'd ever seen... (not suprised since it's only been played twice) anyway, left them with him and they are up for auction soon...

I have been a soulie since 1974, never really been into labels and stuff, just love the music big time... so just imagine what a weird three or so days it has been.

A major big thanks to PeteS for the telephone call on Saturday afternoon... will never forget his words... 'you still there?'... after he'd just told me that he was convinced that the Connie Clark was an original and what it might fetch... cheers Pete!

Had to see someone like Pat Brady cos I just wasn't sure about the Eddie Foster and felt so much better when he confirmed it was original... my heart was going bumptity bump...

Thanks for putting up with my recent witterings and appreciate it must be a pain when an ignoramus like me pokes her head around seeking help and using all the wrong terminologies... still got the Pete Warner and going to sell that myself...

KTF peeps

Wendy Tinley

Social source share

Ian.

But if you not have the real one to compare it is quite hard to tell. Would suggest being very careful on likes of Ebay and out and about. Nice Toon biggrin.gif

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!