Enchanted Five Full Listing Anyone ?

Hi All

Has anyone got a listing of all The Enchanted Five releases, please

Dave

there are just two,

CVS 1001 - have you ever / try a little love

CVS 1003 - your loves comes slower than ever / darling I need you now

The group is from ohio and had Donnie Scales who also had solo records and who was in the segments of time. People here keep saying that the group is the same as the ultimates on br-roma because apparently some japanese CD says so, but someone I know talked to two of the members and they didn't know anything about that so I think it isn't true.

Social source share

there are just two,

The group is from ohio and had Donnie Scales who also had solo records and who was in the segments of time. People here keep saying that the group is the same as the ultimates on br-roma because apparently some japanese CD says so, but someone I know talked to two of the members and they didn't know anything about that so I think it isn't true.

"Have You Ever" / " Try A Little Love" is CVS 1002, did they release this twice?

steve

post-2142-1217179064_thumb.jpg

Social source share

there are just two,

Been playing "Darling I Need You Now" out for a while now - and included it on a recent CD swap.

Lovely little crossover thing - lots of people chasing it - and miles scarcer than 1001 'Have You Ever / Try A Little Love' which is in itself an ace double sider.

Sean

Social source share

so I see, just checked it, stange that, so is 1003, 1003 and 1004?

the electras is CVS 1004. I don't know of any other numbers on the label.

I agree with Sean about the rarity of the second enchanted five title, it took me a long time to get it. I like the "your love comes slower than never" side.

Social source share

the electras is CVS 1004. I don't know of any other numbers on the label.

I agree with Sean about the rarity of the second enchanted five title, it took me a long time to get it. I like the "your love comes slower than never" side.

Yes Bob, the "Your Love" side certainly gained favor amongst US Collectors. Nice 'mid ballad' group Soul, but I've been plugging the "Darling" side for this side of the pond. Sounds so right for now!

My copy is a White label with Green type. Only one I've seen in that format. I think the issues of 1003 are Silver with Blue type (correct me if I'm wrong) and 1001/1002 is Gold and Green as per the scan above.

Never had CVS 1004, the Electras, "Another Mans Woman" but it also came out on De-Lite. Nice femme ballad.

Incidentally, Bob, I just thought, "Try A Little Love" came out by the Topics on 'Heavy Duty'. From memory they're pretty close sounding, but I never compared 'em side by side!

What do you reckon?

Sean

Social source share

Yes Bob, the "Your Love" side certainly gained favor amongst US Collectors. Nice 'mid ballad' group Soul, but I've been plugging the "Darling" side for this side of the pond. Sounds so right for now!

My copy is a White label with Green type. Only one I've seen in that format. I think the issues of 1003 are Silver with Blue type (correct me if I'm wrong) and 1001/1002 is Gold and Green as per the scan above.

Never had CVS 1004, the Electras, "Another Mans Woman" but it also came out on De-Lite. Nice femme ballad.

Incidentally, Bob, I just thought, "Try A Little Love" came out by the Topics on 'Heavy Duty'. From memory they're pretty close sounding, but I never compared 'em side by side!

What do you reckon?

Sean

I also think they sound similar but I never compared side by side. Maybe it is the same recording, I will pull them out when I get a chance. The enchanted five definitely aren't the same group as the topics though. The enchanted five was licensed into the new york CVS label, and the topics was new jersey, maybe something funny happened with the releases. The topics was also issued on brothers III without the "try a little love" side -- I don't know if that points to the track not being by topics or the enchanted five if it is the same recording.

Social source share

Just won a copy of, Have you ever / Try a little love , CVS 1001. NM works out at about a tenner with the other recored I got thorght it was a bargin at that price, heres the scan off EBay

post-664-1217430016_thumb.jpg

Social source share

• 3 years later...

there are just two,

Only picked these two 45's up myself this last couple of months, after first hearing "Darling I need you now" from a seller here on SoulSource and thinking YES..Exactly what I love in terms of a song that builds and grows and has got bags of SOUL. Even better that I then realised it wasn't on bl**dy you-tube! Then closely followed by CVS 1001 a few weeks back when I spotted that for sale and didn't hesitate to buy, even without hearing it first.

The first one is yellow label with green print (I'm assured it is original 1st issue. Hope so anyway!) and the latter is the gold label one in the scan further up this thread.

Superb records for the price I think, and interesting to read a bit more about them on this thread.

Did the same band / lead singer do anything else under another name perhaps?

Cheers, Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

I have more info now on the enchanted five and ultimates.

Enchanted Five is Donnie Scales, later of Segments Of Time on Sussex; Jimmy Radford, Alvin

Freeman, brothers Earl Riley and Ray Riley (deceased). Earl Riley and Jimmy

Radford were later of The Ultimates on Br-roma.

Ultimates on Br-roma is:

Nathanial Haden (lead); Jimmy Radford and Earl Riley, both formerly of The

Enchanted Five; plus one unknown member.

Also, Now on Now might be the same group as the ultimates.

Social source share

I have more info now on the enchanted five and ultimates.

Enchanted Five is Donnie Scales, later of Segments Of Time on Sussex; Jimmy Radford, Alvin

Freeman, brothers Earl Riley and Ray Riley (deceased). Earl Riley and Jimmy

Radford were later of The Ultimates on Br-roma.

Ultimates on Br-roma is:

Nathanial Haden (lead); Jimmy Radford and Earl Riley, both formerly of The

Enchanted Five; plus one unknown member.

Also, Now on Now might be the same group as the ultimates.

Nice one Bob.

Confirmation at last - a conversation we've had on and off for over 3 years.

Top man.

Thank you,

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

• 7 years later...
On 22/09/2011 at 22:35, Sean Hampsey said:

Nice one Bob.

Confirmation at last - a conversation we've had on and off for over 3 years.

Top man.

Thank you,

:thumbsup:

Sean

I just found this post as I am relatively new to this site

I Found this about the group and their connection to the Ultimates

The Ultimates were formed as a result of the untimely deaths of Ray Railey and Alvin Freeman from the CVS outfit, The Enchanted Five whose remaining members were Donnie Scales, Earl Railey (brother to Ray) and Jimmy Radford. The CVS label emanates from Clarke, Venieriee & Smith. Arthur Venieriee was one of the original managers for The Ohio Players and Joseph Peppy Smith was a buyer and marketing rep at J & R Music World. The passing of those 2 band members led the survivors of the Columbus, Ohio outfit to bring in new blood in the form of Nate (Nathanial) Hayden and another member whose name has long been forgotten to form the Ultimates. 
Bruce Clark recorded the Ultimates in New York. They stayed in town for three or four days, completing a session of tracks, which appeared on their later album ”You’re my lady” and when that was over, they left again. Clarke didn’t have any control of the group or what they did work wise except for the recording on BR-Roma. The Ultimates reputedly completed one other recording after Clarke lost touch without knowing what name they did it under.

Enchanted.jpg

Ultimates.jpg

Land B.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Images
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/03/2019 at 07:25, Blackpoolsoul said:

The Ultimates were formed as a result of the untimely deaths of Ray Railey and Alvin Freeman from the CVS outfit, The Enchanted Five whose remaining members were Donnie Scales, Earl Railey (brother to Ray) and Jimmy Radford. The CVS label emanates from Clarke, Venieriee & Smith. Arthur Venieriee was one of the original managers for The Ohio Players and Joseph Peppy Smith was a buyer and marketing rep at J & R Music World. The passing of those 2 band members led the survivors of the Columbus, Ohio outfit to bring in new blood in the form of Nate (Nathanial) Hayden and another member whose name has long been forgotten to form the Ultimates. 
Bruce Clark recorded the Ultimates in New York. They stayed in town for three or four days, completing a session of tracks, which appeared on their later album ”You’re my lady” and when that was over, they left again. Clarke didn’t have any control of the group or what they did work wise except for the recording on BR-Roma. The Ultimates reputedly completed one other recording after Clarke lost touch without knowing what name they did it under.

Enchanted.jpg

Ultimates.jpg

Land B.jpg

Thank you. I also found that info last year on a page about Bruce Clark. Great stuff.

Also found this great pic of The Enchanted Five on there.

Thanks a bunch,

Sean

Enchanted-5.jpg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Sean Hampsey said:

Thank you. I also found that info last year on a page about Bruce Clark. Great stuff.

Also found this great pic of The Enchanted Five on there.

Thanks a bunch,

Sean

Enchanted-5.jpg

Thanks for that Sean

Do we know how the 2 men sadly died and which ones in the photo are which please 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 05/03/2019 at 07:25, Blackpoolsoul said:

can you start posting credit to where you get the info from and make sure that you follow the below as well

thanks

mike

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

You didn't ask Sean about his source for the photo is he exempt :)

best you look after your own posts and leave moderation to the team

if felt there was a need to ask about publicity photos I would have done so

can you read this again...

the guidelines - can be found via the 'terms of use' link at the bottom of every page

any further moderation discussion suggest you take this to the support forum or pm me as per guidelines

can we get back  to the topic ...

Social source share

1 hour ago, mike said:

best you look after your own posts and leave moderation to the team

if felt there was a need to ask about publicity photos I would have done so

can you read this again...

the guidelines - can be found via the 'terms of use' link at the bottom of every page

any further moderation discussion suggest you take this to the support forum or pm me as per guidelines

can we get back  to the topic ...

Bit harsh on the response there Mike I feel. Perfectly valid question IMHO.

But yes, lets stick to the topic.......

For those who are after the 'darling I need you / Your love...' on the Yellow label. Just be aware that a fair few of them are pressed off centre. I know a few people who have been caught on this 😯

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!