Celebrities Who Are Or Have Been Into Northern Soul

Guest OntheScene

channel 4 just signed Paul O Grady he's into soul and so to is the former head of Coronation Street David Liddiment. He's originally from Huddersfield and as a young guy used to dance to Frank and Twink at the West Indian Club in Hudd.

LOL! I never knew that........

Damn. No wonder my TV career never took off........... :rolleyes:

Ian D :ohmy:

Social source share

Carl Barat singer with Dirty Pretty Things. I was DJing at a friends' wedding last year and the band were playing Ended up dancing behind the decks with him and he was rummaging in my box . . . ooh-er missus!! and choosing a few tunes

Social source share

Carl Barat singer with Dirty Pretty Things. I was DJing at a friends' wedding last year and the band were playing Ended up dancing behind the decks with him and he was rummaging in my box . . . ooh-er missus!! and choosing a few tunes

Craig Charles was at the Hideaway on Saturday...

Social source share

Guest Pete Griffin

Craig Charles was at the Hideaway on Saturday...

Yes he was, i shouted taxi, he was not amused :lol:

Good to see you Steve, hope you enjoyed my set at the Hideaway.

Pete Griff

Social source share

Guest Mrs Simsy

Yes he was, i shouted taxi, he was not amused :lol:

Good to see you Steve, hope you enjoyed my set at the Hideaway.

Pete Griff

:P :P

Wasn't Lee Hurst (the comedian) at Soul Rev on NYE? I was at the stage of the night where everythings a bit blurry & i think he was slighty worried that i was squinting at him trying to put a name to the face! :D

Social source share

I don't understand this pathetic obsession with so-called celebrities.

Having said that, I once knew someone who knew a woman whose next door neighbour looked like a bloke who appeared on Celebrity TV MasterChef.

He was in the studio audience, just a few rows from the back.

What a thrill that must have been.

wink.gif

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest ian e

Reluctant to use the word "Celebrity" but I am sure 70's Coventry City player Mickie Ginn was a soul boy and had a decent collection.

Why I remember this I have no idea!!

How about Corrine,the lead singer in Swing Out Sister

She is well into Northern im informed,done the business,dj'ing,record collecting,great girl,

and that band Saint Ettiene,are alledged to base a fair few tunes on Northern tracks,so it is a huge influence to bands black and white....

Ian The Yam Yam :D

Social source share

I don't understand this pathetic obsession with so-called celebrities.

Having said that, I once knew someone who knew a woman whose next door neighbour looked like a bloke who appeared on Celebrity TV MasterChef.

He was in the studio audience, just a few rows from the back.

What a thrill that must have been.

:thumbup:

Paul Mooney

any idea how he got the ticket? wouldnt mind going! im just about to do some coooking, will let you have the recipe , that will be another thrill for you! :D

Social source share

Hi,

I was just wondering how many celebrity soulies there have been past and present such as people like Steve Davies - the Snooker player, Anna Ford the news reader anybody like to contribute to the list?

this one you mean?

such a shame cos I was into N/S when this pic was taken didnt realise he was too

guess who the gorgeous bit of fluff is LOLOL :D

post-706-1217266926_thumb.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Nice piccie Mandy - I see Steve walking up Brentwood High Street on my lunch break - he used to buy records at Jifs in Chadwell Heath.

Social source share

How about Corrine,the lead singer in Swing Out Sister

She is well into Northern im informed,done the business,dj'ing,record collecting,great girl,

and that band Saint Ettiene,are alledged to base a fair few tunes on Northern tracks,so it is a huge influence to bands black and white....

Ian The Yam Yam :thumbsup:

I don,t know about Northern, but she goes to quite a few Modern dos, weekenders etc.

She also went to the Tuscanny weekender last year. Thinking about it she could be into Northern as well, she was at the Tower weekender a year or two ago.

Social source share

:lol::D

Wasn't Lee Hurst (the comedian) at Soul Rev on NYE? I was at the stage of the night where everythings a bit blurry & i think he was slighty worried that i was squinting at him trying to put a name to the face! :(

i know Lee Hurst use to do the Caister soul weekenders in the days of the infamous toga parties..( akin to a modern day orgy) :sleep3::D ... :thumbsup: ...Delxxxx

Social source share

I don,t know about Northern, but she goes to quite a few Modern dos, weekenders etc.

She also went to the Tuscanny weekender last year. Thinking about it she could be into Northern as well, she was at the Tower weekender a year or two ago.

Yep, Corrine's deffo into Northern. Spent a couple of hours chatting to her at the Kent 25th Anniversary do @ The Forum last year. You only have to listen to some of Swing Out Sister's stuff to see the influences....

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Yep, Corrine's deffo into Northern. Spent a couple of hours chatting to her at the Kent 25th Anniversary do @ The Forum last year. You only have to listen to some of Swing Out Sister's stuff to see the influences....

Ian D :sleep3:

Hi Ian, a bit off topic but have you still got that swinging chair you had in Leeds about 1980 :thumbsup:

Social source share

Am sure i read in a footie mag a lot of years ago that Alan Hansen had a large 60's soul collection,

Paul Conroy

If what it is in this " collection " is on a par with his football pundit knowlwdge , there will be bugger all of value .........

Malc Burton

Social source share

Hi Ian, a bit off topic but have you still got that swinging chair you had in Leeds about 1980 :rolleyes:

After this , can you still deny that you were the template for Austin Powers , Young Foggy ?.......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Nice piccie Mandy - I see Steve walking up Brentwood High Street on my lunch break - he used to buy records at Jifs in Chadwell Heath.

I have loads of snooker players pics

my dad was a referee and I used to go with him all over the country

I have pics of alex higgins jimmy white tony meo tony knowles ( phwoar) :lol:

ray reardon

and one of me sitting in steve Davis porche the first one he ever bought

and ones that are autographed

Mand :O)

Social source share

I have pics of alex higgins jimmy white tony meo tony knowles ( phwoar) :lol:

ray reardon

Tony Knowles how owns the Cheshire Lounge (Nags Head), which has a very very busy Modern Soul night once a mouth.

Social source share

Guest Byrney

never heard of the name before Simon, that's why questioned the celebrity bit. His page does describe him as Britains best kept secret :lol:

Don't let Mrs Byrne hear you say that Chalky, she's got a bit of a soft spot for Paddy :lol:

Great in A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes.

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

Guest Byrney

and if memory serves me correctly didn't mr mclusky go on to co found club u.k.

Don't know about Club UK but he was behind all them balearic shenanigans at the Brain Club and Merry England (I think it was called that)

Social source share

Tony Knowles how owns the Cheshire Lounge (Nags Head), which has a very very busy Modern Soul night once a mouth.

Him and Tony Meo are essex boys if I remember correctly same as Steve Davis romford lad

both great guys

wheres the cheshire lounge?

Mand

Social source share

Don't let Mrs Byrne hear you say that Chalky, she's got a bit of a soft spot for Paddy :ohmy:

Great in A Room for Romeo Brass and Dead Man's Shoes.

I cant fault her hes bloody gorgeous and is a great dancer in the moloko vid as well as just about all of shane meadows films

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

Him and Tony Meo are essex boys if I remember correctly same as Steve Davis romford lad

both great guys

wheres the cheshire lounge?

Mand

Exit 7 M 56 a few miles from Manchester Airport

Seductive Soul Millington Cheshire

it,s got it,s own website.

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

Lucky so and so! I love snooker - always wanted to go to a live match. Used to play it in my Dad's garage. I will go one day!

I have pics of alex higgins jimmy white tony meo tony knowles ( phwoar) :unsure:

ray reardon

Social source share

Lucky so and so! I love snooker - always wanted to go to a live match. Used to play it in my Dad's garage. I will go one day!

When i was an underage drinker :lol:

Steve davis would pop into The Swallow at bishops Cleeve (his amatuer doubles partner lived nearbye)

But wouldn't play anyone at pool, but the landlord, who beat him!!!!!!!

He then showed all of us how to beat the space invader machine !!!!!!!

Social source share

• 9 years later...

i used to go to a club in Nottingham with John Robertson who played for NFFC...he loved the soul soul sounds then!!!

he was an apprentice and we used to go to the slipper club on central avenue,west bridgeford,Nottingham...not a bad dancer then either!

not seen him in years after the Glory run...

• Thanks 1
Social source share

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2006 at 13:20, tomangoes said:

John Peel RIP, played Margaret Mandolph - Something Beautiful, and Lee Roye - Tears one night on his evening show. Was he a secret soulie?

Ed

Don't know about his soul credentials, but a bit of trivia for you......he was in the Dallas police station when Lee Harvey Oswald was hauled before the press , to be told he was being charged with JFK's assassination.

Social source share

Sharlene Spiteri lead singer of Texas is well into Northern Soul as she was brought up with it in Scotland. She's also done a Soul show last Christmas on radio 2. Once we were at Brighouse Ritz,  when all the younger end of the cast of Coronation Street came in along with minders they didn't dance but seemed to be enjoying themselves and chatting to everyone.Regards Fred. 

Edited by Mr Fred
Social source share

When Roy Hodgson was appointed England manager, I heard him being interviewed. The presenter told him that he'd heard that Roy was a big Rod Stewart fan, Roy denied this and told him " I' m more of an Otis Redding and Solomon Burke man"

Social source share

20 hours ago, snakepit said:

Don't know about his soul credentials, but a bit of trivia for you......he was in the Dallas police station when Lee Harvey Oswald was hauled before the press , to be told he was being charged with JFK's assassination.

There's a whole thread practically dedicated to how soulful peel was, wasn't.... 

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Not as crap as Arthur mallard ,  yus my dear ,  he once spun a few at a pub in Islington 😂🎶

17 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Could be true mate I don’t know. Just saying he was a crap actor. 

Social source share

Paul Ogrady always plays a NS record on his sunday night show on Radio 2. The rest of the show is terrible and the NS isn't generally much better. I was just thinking about playing Gerri Grainger at my next bash - one of the last traditional Northern records I really got into before heading off into New York Disco, Funk and Jazz-funk - and he played it. Can I still go ahead?

I too am not preoccupied with celebrity culture and am not surprised that many of them dabbled in NS. Just look at the number of people who've come out of the woodwork as former northern soulies on a scene, at the time, I thought was quite exclusive.

Sting recently played with a big band at Hoochie and, on the local jazz website somebody asked if anybody got a photo. I told them I was popping in the following sunday if anybody wanted to bring a camera. That stopped the conversation. Incidentally nobody took a photo of me.

Swing out Sister made some great records and are excellent live, and she's a classy lady.

Steve Davies recently stayed in a hotel I was working at, though I wasn't on shift. I met him a few times when he was on the soul scene but I knew he's done back to prog rock. I sent him a message asking him if he still listens to Soul but he doesn't.

A few years back, Channel 4 did a Soul Night with a number of celebs playing their favourite Soul Records which were all the usual suspects ( Motown, Blues Brothers Commitments) and he came on last and played Sam Dees After All, admitting when he got into Soul, it was a type of music he really didn't know existed. Incidentally, he and I each had one of the first half dozen copies that arrived in the country. Did I tell you that Sam Dees arrived at Fleetwood and asked for me by name, which Alex was thrilled by.

John Peel championed J Blackfoot Taxi but once said Soul Music (the usual suspects outlined above) was singles music, not like pop music which, as we know, is all about 40min works of art.

I once saw Spiteri on the box enthusing about Marvin Gaye and Al Green before she blew it with the usual Beatles worship.

Apparently Brian Tilsley once beat up Alex at MacMillans near Yarm but I missed it.

A certain Radio 6 stalwart boasts that he was into NS between prog rock and punk rock. He was DJing at a ns bash and got mixed up trying to play the Night and ended up playing Grease because he thought they'd know it. When he was roundly criticised he said he doesn't like the politics in NS. But should he be playing the Night?

A contributor said something similar in the last B + S I picked up, that we shouldn't criticise people who play just anything for people who want a bit of nostalgia and to say 'I was there'.

The job of a DJ is to play the best music you can get away with, to try and keep this thing alive as a real live artform.   

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!