Celebrities Who Are Or Have Been Into Northern Soul

Guest OntheScene

Guest Karen Heath

Saw her at Jazz Cafe and was chatting to her about places been to. Also saw her again at Walthamstow where she guest djed.

She lives in the next road to my cousin and he says he sees her and never says hi, but will when sees her next. Thought they would have lot in common as both in a band!

And Karen B's cousin is Bedders from Madness-sorry Karen!

Social source share

she was the driver of the green mini that hit a tree in Kew Gardens, London when he died. been past the spot a few times and there is still lots of flowers etc.

Shane

Yes, and was the last HIT he had :D:D:D . That was wicked sorry :D:D .

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

Guest uroffal

Hi,

I was just wondering how many celebrity soulies there have been past and present such as people like Steve Davies - the Snooker player, Anna Ford the news reader anybody like to contribute to the list?

Adam Ficek (drummer with the Babyshambles) is a big soul fan and has been around the London scene for a few years (100 Club etc). I only know this because he used to study at the University I work for and we used to book him to DJ a fair bit (he'd play fairly common stuff: Frank Wilson, Willie Tee, 'Move On Up' etc) bought a load of records off me about 7 or 8 years ago (so he has got some good stuff too :D ).

Nice guy.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Can someone tell me the name of the character name of the guy who was in 'Function at the Junction', when he was in Brookside please.

Social source share

Are you on about Billy Corkhill who went off with Sheila Grant (Sue Johnston of Royle Family)? Jeez! I need to get out more! :(

I took a pic on my phone of him and Lisa Hurley there, one day Ill give a copy of it to her!! :P:thumbsup:

How about good old PY, he likes his Northern and his a great guy too! (Peter Young - Soul Cellar - Smooth FM)

Social source share

Guest pete salland
Stuart Cosgrove the some time arty pundit and station executive on Channel 4 used to go to the 100 Club,as I recall with his mate a geezer called Ceaser
® thought you always presented yourself quite famously,mr. anorak.p.s. where are mandy´s espedrilles ? :thumbsup:
Social source share

I remember group (years and years ago!) going to 100 club and place in Belsize Park, cant remember their name but song was Boxer Beat (think it was called - loosing memory aswell as mind now!) they all dressed the same! Help! :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Jo Boxers, Karen. They were mates with Keb, Ion etc. in the early 80s and used to regularly hang out at any do going on in London. They did a cover of the Womack/Pickett song Jealous Love which was quite credible.

Sean McCluskey was their drummer and was quite a face on the London scene in those days: he used to run a night called London's Chosen Mass which helped spread the 60s Newies word down south quite a bit. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him even deejaying at the 100 Club at some tiime in the 80s: maybe Ady C. can confirm this. He's still about and is still quite a big name on any underground club scene that springs up in London. Dunno if he's still got any of his soul records.

Years later I managed a band called Earl Brutus which included one of the 'Boxers, Rob Marche, on guitar. Gordon King from Earl Brutus was quite heavily into Northern for a time. He had some great records and used to buy quite a lot of stuff from Rod Shard and co. in Manchester. Rob used to play guitar with The Grid, which was how I met ex-Soft Cell keyboard player Dave Ball. Dave was originally from Blackpool and did genuinely go to the Mecca quite a bit in his youth. I've played records at (non-soul) clubs with him over the years and he does have genuinely good records and great taste in soul.

I guess my point is that a lot of people in pop groups are at least aware of Northern Soul, and it's not as mystifyingly underground as we sometimes think it might be. It seems to be a genre which blows away people who are genuinely into music. Where they differ from many of us is that they don't like it only exclusively, and don't stop listening to other forms of music, past and present.

Social source share

Guest pete salland

I remember group (years and years ago!) going to 100 club and place in Belsize Park, cant remember their name but song was Boxer Beat (think it was called - loosing memory aswell as mind now!) they all dressed the same! Help! :thumbsup:

belsize park was the country club ,karen.

Social source share

the soulster

'quote'

Yes Mark Boland was married to Gloria Jones.

Gloria was on TV news a year or 2 ago with her and Marc Bolan's son, Rolan. Apparently, Marc's affairs were not in order when he was killed in the accident and neither Gloria nor Rolan have had a penny from his estate. She's been pursuing legal avenues so that her son at least can get some of Marc's royalties.

Social source share

Jo Boxers K

Thanks Mikey :P

The Jo Boxers, Karen. They were mates with Keb, Ion etc. in the early 80s and used to regularly hang out at any do going on in London. They did a cover of the Womack/Pickett song Jealous Love which was quite credible.

Sean McCluskey was their drummer and was quite a face on the London scene in those days: he used to run a night called London's Chosen Mass which helped spread the 60s Newies word down south quite a bit. I could be wrong, but I seem to remember him even deejaying at the 100 Club at some tiime in the 80s: maybe Ady C. can confirm this. He's still about and is still quite a big name on any underground club scene that springs up in London. Dunno if he's still got any of his soul records.

Years later I managed a band called Earl Brutus which included one of the 'Boxers, Rob Marche, on guitar. Gordon King from Earl Brutus was quite heavily into Northern for a time. He had some great records and used to buy quite a lot of stuff from Rod Shard and co. in Manchester. Rob used to play guitar with The Grid, which was how I met ex-Soft Cell keyboard player Dave Ball. Dave was originally from Blackpool and did genuinely go to the Mecca quite a bit in his youth. I've played records at (non-soul) clubs with him over the years and he does have genuinely good records and great taste in soul.

I guess my point is that a lot of people in pop groups are at least aware of Northern Soul, and it's not as mystifyingly underground as we sometimes think it might be. It seems to be a genre which blows away people who are genuinely into music. Where they differ from many of us is that they don't like it only exclusively, and don't stop listening to other forms of music, past and present.

Londons Chosen Mass was something to do with Ion too - wasn't it? or am I still confused?!! :(

belsize park was the country club ,karen.

Thats it, remember being a 'posh' place with chicken in the basket and all that!! I liked it there! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest pete salland

one point garethx misses out is that sean ran the scala allnighters in kings cross.this nighter gave rise to my favourite dj,dj paco of soul shrews fame.respect to all the others mentioned(tony gordon will allways be one of my fave dancers)but no one seems to have mentioned shane of the pogues taking our coats at the 100 club(he probably dosent remember it either) :thumbsup:

Social source share

Good points, Pete. In those days The Scala had an atmosphere all of its own.

Shane MacGowan was practically the only person I knew when I first went to the 100 Club. I was familiar with him from his stint behind the counter in Stan Brennan's Rocks Off shop in Hanway Street, so I used to spend quite a bit of time talking to him in the cloakroom. I was about fifteen and paranoid that I'd be ejected from the premises for being underage. When he first mentioned the idea of Pogue Mahone, where he would meld Punk Rock and Rebel Songs, I thought, with legendary foresight, 'that'll never take off." Happy days.

Social source share

Guest pete salland

Good points, Pete. In those days The Scala had an atmosphere all of its own.

Shane MacGowan was practically the only person I knew when I first went to the 100 Club. I was familiar with him from his stint behind the counter in Stan Brennan's Rocks Off shop in Hanway Street, so I used to spend quite a bit of time talking to him in the cloakroom. I was about fifteen and paranoid that I'd be ejected from the premises for being underage. When he first mentioned the idea of Pogue Mahone, where he would meld Punk Rock and Rebel Songs, I thought, with legendary foresight, 'that'll never take off." Happy days.

hi gareth, just talking to surprisingly enough dj paco, as a cornishman i forgot to mention tim who also promoted the scala,dave warr and danny everard (all fellow pasties).also earlier mentioned blue rondo,so not forgetting chris sullivan(blue rondo and wag club front man)

Social source share

one point garethx misses out is that sean ran the scala allnighters in kings cross.this nighter gave rise to my favourite dj,dj paco of soul shrews fame.respect to all the others mentioned(tony gordon will allways be one of my fave dancers)but no one seems to have mentioned shane of the pogues taking our coats at the 100 club(he probably dosent remember it either) :thumbsup:

Dont remember that but heard it - does that count?

Scala - I actually liked them even though so big everyone all other the place and didnt they cater for 'other' music (on dif. floors) as well as Northern?

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Wedding reception at one night I went to.

Some decided to hang around and annoy the soulies. A feat accomplished with rare aplomb.

Social source share

As for Soft Cell, I thought it was Dave Ball who was the more active Soulie, though I'm willing to be corrected.

I'll get me coat.

Nick

Get your coat driveller. Yes Dave Ball was a Mecca boy and was from Blackpool. But Marc Almond briefly worked in the cloakroom at Leeds Central. Not sure which one planned to murder 'Tainted Love'.

Social source share

Saw her at Jazz Cafe and was chatting to her about places been to. Also saw her again at Walthamstow where she guest djed.

She lives in the next road to my cousin and he says he sees her and never says hi, but will when sees her next. Thought they would have lot in common as both in a band!

Corrine DJ'd at our night in Walthamstow and is very much into the scene, stayed dancing until closing - I last saw her at the Blackpool weekender last September.

Record Producer Steven Street also came and played a set for us, although one a bit more Motown than Northern,

Saw the bloke from viz magazine at Hipshaker August Bank Holiday

post-2387-1137249784_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest Leigh J

I Can Remember The Joboxer Geezers In Their Big Hats At Stafford ,Also Ex Cricketer Graham Gooch Had A Scooter And Was Into 60's Soul.

Social source share

on the joe boxer/ sean mcluskey topic,

sean ran a cracking

night in london mid to late 80s, it was at drummonds bar on the euston road opposite kings cross.

the night if i remember was called mr e's or summit like that, john buck put me onto it, i used to go with the missus and then flatmate sean chambers and the rest of the weston court massive lol. eeh happy days.

and if memory serves me correctly didn't mr mclusky go on to co found club u.k.

Social source share

Arthur Scargill but he was only a miner celebrity.

I did have that guy outta the B52's at my stall one day buying cheap end Northern. No idea who he was at the time but I saw him on TV a couple of days later. Said he was a member of the N.Y.Soul Club. Shoulda realised really as he was accompanied by a bit of an entourage but then I never paid much attention to my customers as they got in the way of the crossword!!

Social source share

Just stumbled upon this snippet from an ian brown interview.......

"No, I didn't want to be in a group! I was more interested in going off on my motor scooter to Northern Soul all-nighters. In Manchester, you couldn't avoid Northern Soul. Also, I did karate from 11 to 18. Aged 14, I was teaching it at weekends to grown men. I wanted my own karate school. But John's getting good now on guitar. He'd formed a group called The Waterfront with Andy Couzens (later of The High) on rhythm guitar, Mani on bass, a kid called Kaiser singing, and Chris on drums. John kept pestering me to sing and, in the end, I went to rehearsals with me and this Kaiser kid singing. We called ourselves The Patrol. We had a song called 'Come On'. 'Come Aaaaann!'. We played a few youth clubs but I didn't really get anything off it."

"Anyway, later I'm at this party in Hulme... my mate's roadie-ing at Salford University, and he brings Geno Washington down to this party. An' he's a superstar kind of guy, big personality, all over the room. He comes up to me and he says 'You're a star. You're an actor. Be a singer.' I remember him on the street smoking a big spliff and this copper comes round sayin' 'What are you doing?'. And he's blowing his spliff in the copper's face, this is '83. And he's goin' 'I'm Geno, man. GENO GENO!", singing the Dexy's song, really cool. And the copper didn't do nothing, he just walked away. A few weeks later, I'm thinking about what this guy's said. What does he mean I'm a star, an actor? Anyway, I thought we'd give it a go so we kicked Kaiser out and started the real thing, The Stone Roses, in March '84."

Social source share

Gloria was on TV news a year or 2 ago with her and Marc Bolan's son, Rolan. Apparently, Marc's affairs were not in order when he was killed in the accident and neither Gloria nor Rolan have had a penny from his estate. She's been pursuing legal avenues so that her son at least can get some of Marc's royalties.

She was in the car when it hit the tree wasn't she.

Edited by ZTSC
Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Reluctant to use the word "Celebrity" but I am sure 70's Coventry City player Mickie Ginn was a soul boy and had a decent collection.

Why I remember this I have no idea!!

It's Micky with a Y, the Y relating to the tache he sported to look like a Mickey Quinn Minime I think. If I have the correct player.
Social source share

• 2 years later...

Some interesting ones (depending on your point of view I guess)

wayne hemmingway

ian brown (was a soulboy before the stone roses)

Stuart Maconie

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

never heard of the name before Simon, that's why questioned the celebrity bit. His page does describe him as Britains best kept secret :rolleyes:

See "Dead Mans Shoes" probably the best british film of the last twenty years. IMHO

He's a canny dancer like, as well!

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

Eric knowles from the antiques roadshow, don`t know wether he qualifies as a celebrity :rolleyes:

Newsreader Anna Ford was apparently a Wigan regular.

Social source share

Guest geordiebri

thank fook for that bri been racking my brains trying to remember her name, cheers :rolleyes:

Aye, I remember having her bent over the balcony by the record bar. (then I woke up) B_astard!!! :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!