Jump to content
  • Sign Up
Guest OntheScene

Celebrities Who Are Or Have Been Into Northern Soul

19 minutes ago, baz1 said:

He used to go with an actress chalky from emmerdale I think ??  Me n shell spoke to them at prestwich 2004-5 ish and they said  they wo trying to get what the scene was about for the show,They Wo defo in o.u.a.t.w,paul sadot was workin on it too I think ??? We went to leeds to watch it.bit same old same old but great production. Atb baz

There was a few of them who used to come to Sheridans, yes one was out of one of the soaps. 

Car mechanic in Corrie used to go to the odd benue too, Tyrone?

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

A few years ago I remember me and Pete being collapsed and seriously out of it in the foyer of a weekender when out of the blue Samuel L Jackson came walking by with his entourage - I think I overheard him say "Fcuk me Pete and Dave at Southport?!?!".

As you can imagine, being neck deep in doves, we were a bit 'surprised' - apparently he was there doing a promo for the launch of 51st State... Does that count?

Dx 

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, chalky said:

He was in the play wasn’t he, Once Upon A Time.....he used to go all over around that time, Sheridans as well. 

He was in the play, but he loved the allnighters.  Can't remember how I met him now.  He did go literally all over the place, I remember seeing him at the Marrs Bar and he told me he'd landed a role in a big Hollywood film and then I don't think I saw him again.

Edited by woolie mark

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
1 hour ago, DaveNPete said:

A few years ago I remember me and Pete being collapsed and seriously out of it in the foyer of a weekender when out of the blue Samuel L Jackson came walking by with his entourage - I think overheard him say "Fcuk me Pete and Dave at Southport?!?!".

As you can imagine, being neck deep in doves, we were a bit 'surprised' - apparently he was there doing a promo for the launch of 51st State... Does that count?

Dx 

Hmmmm.....those doves were strong, weren't they.  I suppose he also asked you what they call a Big Mac in Southport? 😉

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
11 hours ago, woolie mark said:

He was in the play, but he loved the allnighters.  Can't remember how I met him now.  He did go literally all over the place, I remember seeing him at the Marrs Bar and he told me he'd landed a role in a big Hollywood film and then I don't think I saw him again.

They did much of the circuit up north at the time, Lifeline, Soultown etc....they weee very much into it too 

Edited by chalky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 27/02/2018 at 22:17, chalky said:

He had a show on Radio Invictus too.

serious collector! Still is I believe.  Has or had a great Lp collection.   Was a regular at Thorne, put his money into Voices etc

He bought at least 2 records from me in the last few years.. I bought a half dozen from him in that time also

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
18 hours ago, monny1916 said:

Micky Gynn ,,, FA cup winner with Coventry city and a great player for Corby Town FC and a regular buyer on record sales 

Already mentioned him, great guy with a super Sweet Soul and Modern Soul collection, keen as mustard about Soul music, oh, and Coventry City 👍 

Kev 

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
22 hours ago, monny1916 said:

Micky Gynn ,,, FA cup winner with Coventry city and a great player for Corby Town FC and a regular buyer on record sales 

Thank you so much for the mention. Even more so to remind me of my non league days, after i retired from Professional Football from 1995 onwards.

I loved my time at Corby Town, with a very good friend of mine Ian Benjamin as manager.

Still buying quality soul as always !!

Kind regards.

Micky

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
4 hours ago, kev cane said:

Already mentioned him, great guy with a super Sweet Soul and Modern Soul collection, keen as mustard about Soul music, oh, and Coventry City 👍 

Kev 

Cheers Kev again for the kind words. Another Cd on the way soon for you mate !!

Hope you and the family are all well.

Kind regards.

Micky

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 29/07/2008 at 18:02, CheltSoulNights said:

Noddy Holder had a catacoombs membership but denied ever going

 

Lenny ohenry?

Saw Kevin Rowland in the Cats a few times - he looked a miserable git back then!

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Mick Hucknall went to the casino his comments are on a video, but don't know which one sorry

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

No it's the Old Grey Whistle Test feature on Northern - in which he says "I've never been to an allnighter" - he was a punk at the time.

Dx

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
44 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

No it's the Old Grey Whistle Test feature on Northern - in which he says "I've never been to an allnighter" - he was a punk at the time.

Dx

Nah , he said    "I've never even been to a Wigan all-niter , but I've been to a couple of all-niters ..... "

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

He says he went to Wigan casino but found it very clicky

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
16 minutes ago, Stephen Houghton said:

He says he went to Wigan casino but found it very clicky

Nah ..... :no:

 

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 22/02/2018 at 22:20, snakepit said:

Don't know about his soul credentials, but a bit of trivia for you......he was in the Dallas police station when Lee Harvey Oswald was hauled before the press , to be told he was being charged with JFK's assassination.

Theres a picture of him near the front of the stage at the casino with a cery young looking anna ford. Heard him play little tommy cant you see, the. Vibrations " i took an overdose"( mark lammarr used to play that too!  And loads and loads more . He started on radio caroline with tony blackburn, where they tried snatch listeners off luxemberg which played black american releases, on his programmeshen he played say a recent addition to the kent releases , hed give the serial number as well as the official date of release,  

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Wow long running thread Frank Warren boxing promoter and east end wide boy buys regular under a alias loves his sixties okeh stuff etc,Alan Hanson has a large rare soul collection,Pic here of Marc Limar at the Austen Fair Texas snapping up loads of interesting stuff and having great banter with the US dealers.At the end of the day vinyl horders may gravitate towards the music via other means than northern dos,loads of US Collectors have come via the sweet/lowrider scene and now buy lots of northern thats a fact as I sell loads to the sweet guys and girls on facebook. There are numerous rockabilly and garage collectors buying the Duke/Peacock stuff and early R/B Popcorn etc.Its a broad church and not always northern soul although as mentioned a lot of the collectors/celebrities owe their "dues in one way or another "to the Northern Soul Scene and many more have jumped on becauseits good to wear baggies at fashion shows lol.

BITH8082.JPG

Edited by Baz Atkinson
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Baz, who's that bloke?

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
23 minutes ago, Benji said:

Baz, who's that bloke?

Eh up mate Marc Limar never mind the buzzcocks shooting stars etc, regular visitor to US Record Fairs and collector ! 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
6 hours ago, WoodButcher said:

Nah ..... :no:

 

Keith Minshull at 5:03? Tim Ashebende at 5:07.

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
36 minutes ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Eh up mate Marc Limar never mind the buzzcocks shooting stars etc, regular visitor to US Record Fairs and collector ! 

He's a regular on FB in the sales groups too

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
30 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Keith Minshull at 5:03? Tim Ashebende at 5:07.

 

And ... ? ... somewhat off-topic , both well known on the scene but hardly 'celebrities' ... sorry Tim ... :lol:

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
5 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Wow long running thread Frank Warren boxing promoter and east end wide boy buys regular under a alias loves his sixties okeh stuff etc,Alan Hanson has a large rare soul collection,Pic here of Marc Limar at the Austen Fair Texas snapping up loads of interesting stuff and having great banter with the US dealers.At the end of the day vinyl horders may gravitate towards the music via other means than northern dos,loads of US Collectors have come via the sweet/lowrider scene and now buy lots of northern thats a fact as I sell loads to the sweet guys and girls on facebook. There are numerous rockabilly and garage collectors buying the Duke/Peacock stuff and early R/B Popcorn etc.Its a broad church and not always northern soul although as mentioned a lot of the collectors/celebrities owe their "dues in one way or another "to the Northern Soul Scene and many more have jumped on becauseits good to wear baggies at fashion shows lol.

BITH8082.JPG

He used to come to Swindon soul nights regularly coz he shared a house with Muff from Swindon. Dx

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
26 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

And ... ? ... somewhat off-topic , both well known on the scene but hardly 'celebrities' ... sorry Tim ... :lol:

Recall seeing Charlie Williams at one of the Yorkshire niters once mid 80s, curiously I saw him first at a Goth nite in Batley, not long after saw him at a niter most probably Mexboro.

Carol Decker not strictly at a niter but at the Naughty Willy soul night in Bridgnorth Shropshire.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
2 hours ago, chalky said:

He's a regular on FB in the sales groups too

Yeah deffo mate another using a different name ! 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Just remembered another David Morrisey the English Actor. Was driving to train one day and he was on radio 2 spinning some of his fav tunes my jaw dropped when he played the Just Brothers on Empire things will be better ! 

Not forgetting Mark E Smith out the Fall RIP who sang about his mates coming down off the gear after the casino and topped the indie charts for over 2 years with lie dream of a casino soul . 

Edited by Baz Atkinson
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, Baz Atkinson said:

Eh up mate Marc Limar never mind the buzzcocks shooting stars etc, regular visitor to US Record Fairs and collector ! 

Thanks. Many English comedians are not that well known over here.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 23/06/2018 at 20:22, Baz Atkinson said:

Just remembered another David Morrisey the English Actor. Was driving to train one day and he was on radio 2 spinning some of his fav tunes my jaw dropped when he played the Just Brothers on Empire things will be better ! 

Not forgetting Mark E Smith out the Fall RIP who sang about his mates coming down off the gear after the casino and topped the indie charts for over 2 years with lie dream of a casino soul . 

Heard that very same show... my jaw dropped too at the Just Brothers too!

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 08/01/2006 at 16:54, Guest OntheScene said:

Hi,

 

I was just wondering how many celebrity soulies there have been past and present such as people like Steve Davies - the Snooker player, Anna Ford the news reader anybody like to contribute to the list?

 

Lisa Stansfield

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 25/06/2018 at 16:05, wildtiga said:

 

Lisa Stansfield

Pretty sure I saw her at Burnley on a Friday night, before she was well known or just becoming so.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

A little off topic but along the same lines. 

 

Who the hell knew Gil Scott Heron's Dad played football for Celtic??

Edited by jam66
spelling.
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
3 hours ago, jam66 said:

A little off topic but along the same lines. 

 

Who the hell knew Gil Scott Heron's Dad played football for Celtic??

I thought this was common knowledge as it’s in his biographies, goalkeeper wasn’t he ? Stand to be corrected. But it does seem bizarre , but it is true.

  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

A photo of Chris Waddle came up on tv yesterday. When he moved from Newcastle to Spurs he commented in a magazine that he didn't think he would find northern soul in London....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Not read the biographies but I hadn't come across it before.

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Saw Steve Davis DJing on Friday at the Mostly Jazz Funk and Soul Festival in Birmingham.  Did a soul set, certainly not Northern and all off CD's, not bad though. He was besieged by (presumably) snooker fans wanting to take selfies with him throughout which must have been a bit off-putting for him. Tried to sketch him too but he didn't keep still so his face is the wrong shape!

 

2018-07-06 18.15.28.jpg

2018-07-06 18.59.35.jpg

Edited by Timillustrator

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Not a celebrity but recently read the boxer Carl Froch's autobiography and in it he says his dad got nicked a couple of times for pinching cars to get to 'Northern Soul do's' in the Midlands back in the 70's.

Edited by chatty

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

The bloke who played Matt on Emmerdale was at the Casino one night, not sure if he was into the music though

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Can't believe I'm not listed in this so called celeb listing I'm only one on ere took a Supremes up to ACCA in Halifax !!! Ow played with Furs band, in Joe Jackson video  not to mention Dick Emery, diving off wardrobe at White swan hotel, (mucky duck) to locals.

Plus best buddy with George thee Clinton  after last year.

Legend in my own lunch time.

Some u can remember !! 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
On 08/07/2018 at 13:10, Timillustrator said:

Saw Steve Davis DJing on Friday at the Mostly Jazz Funk and Soul Festival in Birmingham. He was besieged by (presumably) snooker fans.

A long cue?

  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Can you name any Soul Music Loving Celebrities not just one genre eg Northern ,   

 

TVM.....

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Yeh, Steve Davis is a soul fan and I believe that he has a brilliant collection of vinyl  !

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

Yeah I know there is a few....  PLEASE APPEND TO THE LIST TVM...... I KNOW THERE ARE A COUPLE OF THREADS HERE WITH SOME NAME I'LL APPEND THOSE IF I MAY..

  • Steve Davis
  • Lenny Henry
  • Chuka Umunna
  • Jay Blades [The Repair Shop] ?
  • Lee Hirst
  • Chris Hughton 
  • Les Ferdinand

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share
21 minutes ago, Binky said:

Can you name any Soul Music Loving Celebrities not just one genre eg Northern ,   

 

TVM.....

welcome to the site 👍

gonna merge this topic with this long running one in a bit

mike

 

 

Share this forum post


soul source url
Social source share

All About the SOUL - Source Forum

Jump into the northern soul music & beyond talk now!

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

  1. Which Celebrities Have You Seen Dancing At A Soul Night
    All About the SOUL by Steve Brown on Wed 28 Sep 2011
    • 111 / 9072
    • Soul Glo on 19 Oct 2011
  2. The Celebrities
    Record Wants by Guest espo on Thu 23 Dec 2010
    • 1 / 348
    • espo on 23 Dec 2010
  3. Celebrities - Sunlovers - Frank Howard
    Record Sales by RUDZY on Thu 19 Jul 2007
    • 20 / 2154
    • RUDZY on 20 Jul 2007
  4. The Celebrities On Boss Finishing Price
    Look At Your Box by Baz Atkinson on Sun 05 Aug 2007
    • 13 / 1184
    • Simon M on 12 Aug 2007
  5. Celebrities - Boss 502 - Booted ?
    Look At Your Box by Guest Johnny Mack on Mon 25 Feb 2008
    • 6 / 735
    • Steve G on 26 Feb 2008

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.