OLD 45 PRICE LISTS

grant

JUST FOUND SOME BIG PRICE LISTS FROM CIRCA 1990 (EX-RICHARD DOMAR). WE ALL REMEMBER THE 70'S PRICES FOR DEAN COURTNEY MGM ETC. BUT THIS LIST IS AMAZING FOR A 90'S ONE. THE STUFF IN IT AWESOME - & YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE SOME OF THE PRICES !! E.G. LINDA LLOYD 'BREAKAWAY' DEMO £15 (I ACTUALLY BOUGHT THAT ONE THEN, STILL GOT IT); RAY AGEE 'I'M LOSING AGAIN' SOULTOWN?; G MIMMS 'LOOKING FOR YOU' £30; JADES 'I KNOW THE FEELING' PONCELLO £25; FLUFFY FALANA £50; ETC ETC ANYONE WHO REALLY WANTS TO SEE A COPY (& PISS THEMSELVES OFF) EMAIL ME WITH ADDRESS AND WILL POST ONTO TO YOU.

p.s also quite a good reference guide for labels that 45's were on.

GRANT.

Social source share

• Replies 41
  • Views 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Brian Ellis

Richard Domar list - now that brings back some memories - it was an annual publication of his entire stock.

You had to go through every one of his 1,000s of entries as he refused to list records by artist, prefering to do it by label. Not very customer-friendly when most of us are searching for an artist rather than a label!!

I remember that where a record was known to him (i.e. it had previously had exposure on the Northern scene) then it tended to be on the expensive side. If it was totally unknown to him then that was where the bargains were. I know that the Melvin Brown and James Matthews 'Love stormy weather' went for £3, later to fetch 4 figures.

I've not dealt with him for years - but I do have nightmare memories of inadvertently interrupting his breakfast/lunch/tea/supper or disturbing him while he was watching a football match on TV to place an order. Now that was some experience - anyone else fall foul of his lengthy instructions on when not to give him business????

Brian

Social source share

I used to buy regularly from Richard in the early 90's, including the following.......

Larry Santos-got me where u want me-evolution-£20

Ann Heywood-crook his little finger-yellow hondo(MINT)-£60

Tobi Lark-challenge my love-topper-£25

Roy Roberts-got to have your love-ninandy-£40

.........wish i had bloody well kept them now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i also remember seeing Masqueraders- how-la beat on a Pat Brady list around 1994 listed at .......£75!!!!!!!!!

I did ring up, but too late.................

Social source share

Ii also remember seeing Masqueraders- how-la beat on a Pat Brady list around 1994 listed at .......£75!!!!!!!!!

Did you see what it went for on JM auction? £1107. I know it's not often seen these days but is it really an £1100 record?

Social source share

I've not dealt with him for years - but I do have nightmare memories of inadvertently interrupting his breakfast/lunch/tea/supper or disturbing him while he was watching a football match on TV to place an order.  Now that was some experience - anyone else fall foul of his lengthy instructions on when not to give him business????

I have also enjoyed a barrage from him, but persited, and came away with a copy of Daybreak - 'I need love' for £3! (He listed the other side 'Everything man'). I told him about some time later and he said he wasted bothered and had just sold a copy of the Brookes Brothers for a £5 becasue he thought there were "loads about".

I wonder if he ever passed his accountacy exams?

Social source share

Yeah, i noticed that Chalky, but i guess if someone wants a record badly enough, they will pay any price.............

Record collecting is extremely addictive(as we all know), and i noticed on ebay (and not just the soul), that people pay crazy prices for things that most of us would piss ourselves at......

e.g. happened upon this section for collectable marbles (ones we used to play with in the school playground)???????-The ones up for auction were, apparently, Victorian. Anyway a set of 36 were up for grabs, and bid currently stands at £896.00!!!!!!with 2 days still to go!!!!!!!!!

No what i'd rather spend my hard earned cash on.................

Social source share

first catalogue I had off Richard Domar was at Leicester Oddfellows in about 1984 or so, it was great. Still is great when his annual catalogue arrives.

I have kept lots of old lists from all kinds of places, they are great reading on the pan. Remember though.'if ifs and ands were pots and pans there'd be no need for tinkers'.

makes me realise that if there something you want or even might want at a price that suits buy it, especially on new releases.

Social source share

Well, how's this lot for a trip back to 1984, featured in these three lists: John Manship, Ian Clark and Dave Raistrick's (Vinyl Allsorts):

BERNIE WILLIAMS: Ever Again (Bell) £45

TERRY CALLIER: Look At Me Now (Chess) £3

DEL LARKS: Job Opening (Queen City) in G+ nick; £50

THE ORACLES: I Ain't Got Time (OM) £20

RAY POLLARD: This Time (Shrine) £20

RITA & TIARAS: Gone With The Wind Is My Love (Dore) £30

YVONNE BAKER: You Didn't Say A Word (Parkway demo) £20

HANK JACOBS: Elijah Rockin' With Soul (Call Me) £3

ROSE BATISTE: Hit & Run (Revilot) £12

RAY AGEE: I'm Losing Again (Soultown) £90

TY KARIM: You Really Made It Good To Me (Senator) £25

JOANIE SOMMERS: Don't Pity Me (WB demo) £20

........more Prozac, pleeeeeeeeease!!!!

Gene

Social source share

Did you see what it went for on JM auction? £1107. I know it's not often seen these days but is it really an £1100 record?

Of coarse not, a nice 250 record. Its scarce, but it ain't that rare. Don't even bother thinking about it any other way. That auction's rigged anyhow.

Social source share

Thing is if we go back far enough we will all cry.

I bought Thelma Lindsay 'Prepared to Love You' £1 in 1975, sold for £60 nine years ago how much now?!!

I clould list another 50-100 rare records now, but it pays not loook back, but just smile and think, 'Shit, Ionce had that in my collection, or I could have bought that'

Worst ever mistake. Newcastle -Upon Tyne, 1975, Leon Heywood, 'Baby Reconsider', Fatfish Demo, 10p, had bought a load of other stuff and was skint (was on next to nowt wages then)and left it behind....... ouch!! 10p then was a lot!

Social source share

Yeah just saw the other day that mark bicknell had'Dark Wings Has My Angel ' for sale other day on ebay staring bid £1500! I sold it as part of a collecyion (incl. Freddie Williams 'Gotta Live...; C O'Hara ' What ABout You'; Misty Moore, R Hamilton RCA Issue, The Victors, Jewels, June Jackson, and about 50 or 60 more gems for ...Wait for it for ........................................£300.!!!!!!

I never seem to get any vivtoprs these days..mmmmmmmmmm...mmmmmmmmmmm Nurse!!

Social source share

Of coarse not, a nice 250 record. Its scarce, but it ain't that rare. Don't even bother thinking about it any other way. That auction's rigged anyhow.

yeah sum off the stuff on manships is going for silly money now brown sugar is a nice £75 record but what stupid fool would pay over £600 and have you noticed how many prince phillip mitchal

im so happy are on the auction one every two months a case of not interested in the soul any more its how much he can get for it

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Did I read this correctly - did someone actually pay £600+ for Brown Sugar?????

Phillip Mitchell currently £357 on his list - phew!!

Brian

Social source share

the brown sugar was a mint white promo but still £600!!!!

i watched this and something ODD was going on it was supposed to end at 6 p.m and the auction went on and on for another 30 mins,dont know about you but i think thats NAUGHTY

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys, Back in my day(late 60's, early 70's) the best list came from F>L>Moore in Leighton Buzzard. I would buy a copy of Dynatones "Fife Piper" nearly every week for thirty bob and flog it at Blackburn Mecca a couple of days later for twice the price. Best buy was Art Freeman "Slipping Around" on uk Atlantic for£1 at auction.

Social source share

JUST FOUND SOME BIG PRICE LISTS FROM CIRCA 1990 (EX-RICHARD DOMAR).

GRANT.

Yes, i remember Richard Domar, his list just went on and on. I found a lot of good sounds in there about '87/88.

Volcanoe-Laws of love on Arctic,Rosey Jones-Have love will travel and the like came from Domar. Bought a few Night Owls too.

I used to love phoning him outwith the hours written on his list, it was funny to hear him go apeshit when you inquired about a £1.50 reissue, you could imagine him turning all sorts of colours. Endless source of amusement.

I hope i can get his number again, it put a smile on my face.

Hello Richard?

Do you have a copy of Futures-Party time man?

You do?

No just askin'

Will phone you back about five thirty!

click.......................zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

H.

Social source share

Seems like we have all dropped major bollocks over the years in selling records cheap or perhaps the going rate at the time, i remember selling Eric Mercury - Lonley Girl on Sac to George Sharpe at Stafford for £95.00 and let many others go for pennies £8.00 for The Tangeers Okeh, Vondell's Airtown for £75.00, Twans Dade £150.00, Ray Pollard Shrine for £50.00 paid £18.00 for it, Empires Candi and Gene Toones blue stock/issue Simco to Carl Fortnum for £800.00 the pair back in 1990 good money then but nothing by today's standards, Betty Wilson - I'm Yours on Dayco sold that for twenty quid, oh and dozens more, had Chuck Hoilday Gloria stolen from my old flat in North Wales....plus i've forgotton some of the records i've had over the years, still it's all part of the game we play.... super fun well you have to laugh don't you otherwise you would shoot yourself..lol

What about the many collections that were sold in the early 90's for reasonable money or when Jim Wenseaora sold up around 86/87 made a fortune then but would have made a million quid today, all horses for courses really and at the end of the day they are only records..................... oh can i have my Soul Shakers back on Teri De please!!!! Now i'm happy to pick up good little cheapies for under twenty quid things like The Webs - Tomorrow on Popside brilliant record and many more.

Collecting will always be with us it's just a case of what you collect are you buying into something with the big money items or is it better to collect what you like and what you can afford, educating yourself along the way as big money records don't always mean quality records, or falling into the trap of trying to locate all the top tunes everyone else is after just makes it a little boring and predictable i.e six copies known of a record ten people after it resulting in what we have now sometimes over the top prices for or certainly name your price type tatics.. still it's all good fun as the chase gives the buzz.....

Keep It Real - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

the brown sugar was a mint white promo but still £600!!!!

i watched this and something ODD was going on it was supposed to end at 6 p.m and the auction went on and on for another 30 mins,dont know about you but i think thats NAUGHTY

I sold a Mint White promo just before XMas for £125 and to be honest felt slightly guilty in doing so no more than a £30 record IMVFHO no way on earth should it ever sell for that sort of money there are loads of them around and loads of WDJ copies too.

Somebody (a good few somebodies) is really being very foolish with their auctioning techniques IMO

John

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Around about 1971/2, Bob (Detroit) Foster & I went shares for him to travel to New York to buy records to sell & make our fortunes. I had bought some soul packs off a guy in Trenton, New Jersey & Bob was to seek him out & buy more stuff. It cost us £75 each to send him off. I couldn't go as I only had 2 weeks holiday a year then & the first wife insisted I spend them with her not Bob. Still, I can't be too hard on her she gave me some of the happiest days of my life, they were over a weekend when she went to visit her mother. Bob kept a copy of the list we put out when he got back & kept a copy! You have to remember that there was not really a big rare soul scene in place then. Even Bob wasn't sure of what to buy. He bought as many copies he could of Mamie Galore - It Aint Neccesary which was the big sound & we got most of our money back through that track. Looking through the list, there are many I still have not heard of since & can't remember what they were like. There are others that I have spent years trying to track down again to buy for my collection. Here is a sample.

25p or 5 for a £1

Billy Shields - I Was Boy - Harbour. Duane Yates - Hold It - Njoy

Freddie May - Heavy With Me - Diamond. Kim Weston - Love Me All The Way - Tamla. Bobby Sansom - Dont Leave Me - Sublime. Kim Weston - A Thrill A Moment - Gordy. Charlie Wright - Number One - Capitol. Wendy Rene - After Laughter - Stax. Del Rios - Just Across The Street - Stax. Falcons - Love Look In Her Eyes - Big Wheel. Jesse Henderson - The Gator - Gold Dust. Carl Ray - Baby I Love You - Down Home. Pat Lundy - Play It Again - ToTo. Marvin Smith - Time Stopped Demo. Soul Agents - Foxy lady - Atac.

35p or 3 for a £1.

Theola Kilgore - I Cant Stand It - Mercury. Little Ralphie D - Take Me Back - 20th Cent. Al Reed - Sorry About That - Axe. Sonnettes - I've Gotten Over You - K.O. Sam Dees - Soul Sister - LoLo. Jimmy Ruffin - Heart - Miracle. Sylvia Robinson - Oo Wee Baby - Tru Glo Town. Chantels - Soul Of A Soldier - Verve. Tommy Hunt - Hold On - Atlantic. Barrett Strong - You Knows What To Do - Tamla. Rex Garvin - Strange Happenings - Chieftain. Billy Woods - I Found Satisfaction - Verve. La Brenda Ben - Camel Walk - Gordy. Chicago Loop - My Baby Comes To Me - Dynovoice.

Various Prices

Fabulous Counts - Jan Jan 45p. Darrow Fletcher - Pain Gets A Little Deeper 45p. Candy & Kisses - Chains Of Love 45p. Dramatics - All Because Of You - Sport 45p. Cody Black - Too Many Irons In The Fire 45p. Garland Green - Girl I Love You - Revue £1. Holidays - Watch Out Girl - Golden World 75p. Gloria Jones - HeartBeat - Uptown 50p. Bobby Barnes - The Skate - Cross Tone 70p. Temptations - Dream Come True - Miracle £1. Jimmy Ruffin - Don't Feel Sorry For Me - Miracle £1.

++Loads more. The dearest record on the list apart from Mamie Galore £2 was The Detroit Road Runners - Swinging Camels also £2!!!!! & believe it or not the sounds did not exactly fly out the door. We took ages to shift the Jimmy Ruffin's for example. The next year Bob went again to NY & Detroit where he met up with Martin Kopple & the rest was history as they say.

Slim.

Social source share

• 9 years later...
Guest CARL D

Just found this thread and nearly passed out!

Well, how's this lot for a trip back to 1984, featured in these three lists: John Manship, Ian Clark and Dave Raistrick's (Vinyl Allsorts):

BERNIE WILLIAMS: Ever Again (Bell) £45

TERRY CALLIER: Look At Me Now (Chess) £3

DEL LARKS: Job Opening (Queen City) in G+ nick; £50

THE ORACLES: I Ain't Got Time (OM) £20

RAY POLLARD: This Time (Shrine) £20

RITA & TIARAS: Gone With The Wind Is My Love (Dore) £30

YVONNE BAKER: You Didn't Say A Word (Parkway demo) £20

HANK JACOBS: Elijah Rockin' With Soul (Call Me) £3

ROSE BATISTE: Hit & Run (Revilot) £12

RAY AGEE: I'm Losing Again (Soultown) £90

TY KARIM: You Really Made It Good To Me (Senator) £25

JOANIE SOMMERS: Don't Pity Me (WB demo) £20

........more Prozac, pleeeeeeeeease!!!!

Gene

Social source share

:thumbup:

Hi Guys, Back in my day(late 60's, early 70's) the best list came from F>L>Moore in Leighton Buzzard. I would buy a copy of Dynatones "Fife Piper" nearly every week for thirty bob and flog it at Blackburn Mecca a couple of days later for twice the price. Best buy was Art Freeman "Slipping Around" on uk Atlantic for£1 at auction.

Was he based in Leighton Buzzard then?. I were on £1.50 a week as an apprentice at Vauxhall. I'd heard, for first time, She Blew a good thing and soul time played out in Bedford by Dingle. I couldn't afford 25/- (£1.50 to rest of you :) ), managed to 'borrow' a copy of She Blew a good thing, however, years later when Fred were in Luton and I'd got to know him really well, I paid him off for it, and still have it on Symbol.

Did you ever go through his 5/- (25P) boxes when he were at Luton....I've been blessed, Lonely girl am I, Festival time, Joy road, all Dyke and the Blazers, to name a few,  came out of his cheapy boxes

Edited by ZootSuit
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I still got most of the UK lists from the early 90s when I started collecting seriously. But can't dare to look at them. It would hurt too much to see what I have missed. E.g. John Powney 94ish - Patti & Emblems - Love you long long time - Kapp 20 quid.

Social source share

Richard Domar list - now that brings back some memories - it was an annual publication of his entire stock.

You had to go through every one of his 1,000s of entries as he refused to list records by artist, prefering to do it by label. Not very customer-friendly when most of us are searching for an artist rather than a label!!

I remember that where a record was known to him (i.e. it had previously had exposure on the Northern scene) then it tended to be on the expensive side. If it was totally unknown to him then that was where the bargains were. I know that the Melvin Brown and James Matthews 'Love stormy weather' went for £3, later to fetch 4 figures.

I've not dealt with him for years - but I do have nightmare memories of inadvertently interrupting his breakfast/lunch/tea/supper or disturbing him while he was watching a football match on TV to place an order. Now that was some experience - anyone else fall foul of his lengthy instructions on when not to give him business????

Brian

Yes Brian, me, on regular occassions, but alas, like you i've not delt with him for years, is he still around?..ATB...Rob

Edited by tosspot
Social source share

Yes Brian, me, on regular occassions, but alas, like you i've not delt with him for years, is he still around?..ATB...Rob

I believe he finished selling about 6 months ago. He closed down his Domar records site down, don't know about his other passion for American comics.

I have bought numerous records off Richard over the years, had to pay by cheque, or concealed cash, no paypal accepted

I know from reading various threads on here that he was considered a strange bugger, but he was always OK with me, even sending out records to Australia before the cheque had arrived.

Social source share

Hi Mike. Thanks for getting in touch. No luck in tracking down Dave Postie. As you say the name rings a bell with me too. There were a lot of wheelies from the Junction so hopefully someone will know of him.

Cheers, Slim

Was Dave Postie you refer to Scottish by any chance? Only, I remember a Dave Poustie from around 1980 / 81. He emmigrated to Calgary, Canada, along with me in 1981. A long shot I agree but . . .

Social source share

I used to buy regularly from Richard in the early 90's, including the following.......

i also remember seeing Masqueraders- how-la beat on a Pat Brady list around 1994 listed at .......£75!!!!!!!!!

I bought Wade Flemons "Jeanette" of pats list around this time for the princely sum of £8! Also Betty Fikes " prove it tome""cant lie to my heart" blue southbound for £10 pat had good bargains on tunes that wasn't getting played domar lists had many as well but terrible to read through and to order of hi

Dave L

Social source share

Tobi Lark, Roy Roberts weren't worth more back then. Both around in quantities. Don't think I paid more than 30/40 for RR. When I found the Decisions (rarest Topper release) locally I decided to collect the whole label. Took me just a few months to get them all. Don't think I paid more than 15/20 quid each for any of the other releases. And that includes both presses of Pricilla Page.

Social source share

I can remember it being at the top of a Soul Bowl list for £1.00. John must have had a few hundred I reckon.......

Ian D :D

Yes indeed Ian. I bought one but hated the record but liked the label so i cut it out & stuck it on the record box along with Purple Mundi (cut that out as well because we had a few of them !)...

Social source share

I have also enjoyed a barrage from him, but persited, and came away with a copy of Daybreak - 'I need love' for £3! (He listed the other side 'Everything man'). I told him about some time later and he said he wasted bothered and had just sold a copy of the Brookes Brothers for a £5 becasue he thought there were "loads about".

I wonder if he ever passed his accountacy exams?

wasn't the story about the brooks brothers that...lots of people sent him the £ in the post to buy it & he spent a fortune having to post all the £ back to the buyers.

was great buying from domar.he knew the going rates for the olides,but not the newies.goodtimes,lol.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Found one of my old lists from either 1977 or 78

post-16601-0-69328500-1374700479_thumb.jpost-16601-0-47498800-1374700524_thumb.jpost-16601-0-41541000-1374700559_thumb.jpost-16601-0-47379300-1374700597_thumb.jpost-16601-0-04286200-1374700628_thumb.jpost-16601-0-95707800-1374700658_thumb.j

Prices look cheap but in those days records in the US were around 10 to 25 cents , occasionally up to 1 dollar, and the pound was worth about 2 dollars 40 . Also no one was earning a lot so prices stayed low.

Anyone who follows current prices say which title is now worth the most , and any guess as to what the lot might fetch?

I did some auction lists around the same time, has anyone kept any of these as I'd like to see them again.

Rick 

Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Found one of my old lists from either 1977 or 78

attachicon.gifpage 1 001.jpgattachicon.gifpage 2 001.jpgattachicon.gifpage 3 001.jpgattachicon.gifpage 4 001.jpgattachicon.gifpage 5 001.jpgattachicon.gifpage 6 001.jpg

Prices look cheap but in those days records in the US were around 10 to 25 cents , occasionally up to 1 dollar, and the pound was worth about 2 dollars 40 . Also no one was earning a lot so prices stayed low.

Anyone who follows current prices say which title is now worth the most , and any guess as to what the lot might fetch?

I did some auction lists around the same time, has anyone kept any of these as I'd like to see them again.

Rick 

"THESE WILL BE THE BIG OLDIES OF TOMORROW AND WILL DOUBLE AND TREBLE IN PRICE"   :D

If you do me a good deal I'll buy the lot     :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!