Lost Soul

Is it possible to lose your soul or rather have no desire to attend venues anymore as there are better things to do with your life? the love of the music is not in question for me as I still adore everything connected with it it's just the venue side of things does not have the same magic for me anymore, it's like in some areas that the scene must survive at venue level no matter what, we all know the over kill state of play at present which has very much diluted the escense of this once beautiful scene for me at least, can you still be into the music if you don't attend venues anymore? I think you can as you can explore whatever floats your boat without having to worry what anybody else thinks, does staying away from the venues make you some how less soulful if you don't attend? again I think not but I'm sure some will say that the venues are the scene and you can't have one without the other?

The records sound and mean the same to me alone or with somebody, the enjoyment, pleasure and deep joy I get is the same, this music is nice to share with like minded people but can you not also go solo and enjoy it as much? I certainly can, forgive this post being a little deep but if I feel like this then I'm sure one or two others feel the same way, I get the impression that the scene as a whole is going through the motions rather than being the force it once was, too much of everything really and in time the wheels are gonna fall off, I can't knock the people who still contribute to the scene, promoters, DJ's, collectors, magazine editors, record dealers and soul fans who attend week in week out good on everyone concerned but I can't help thinking that the reason why there is so much on with more venues than you can shake a stick at is that we are all somehow deep down scared that it's all gonna end? maybe in my case to quote Major Lance 'Ain't No Soul Left In These Old Shoes' but it's certainly in my heart always.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

• Replies 39
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Is it possible to lose your soul or rather have no desire to attend venues anymore as there are better things to do with your life? the love of the music is not in question for me as I still adore everything connected with it it's just the venue side of things does not have the same magic for me anymore, it's like in some areas that the scene must survive at venue level no matter what, we all know the over kill state of play at present which has very much diluted the escense of this once beautiful scene for me at least, can you still be into the music if you don't attend venues anymore? I think you can as you can explore whatever floats your boat without having to worry what anybody else thinks, does staying away from the venues make you some how less soulful if you don't attend? again I think not but I'm sure some will say that the venues are the scene and you can't have one without the other?

The records sound and mean the same to me alone or with somebody, the enjoyment, pleasure and deep joy I get is the same, this music is nice to share with like minded people but can you not also go solo and enjoy it as much? I certainly can, forgive this post being a little deep but if I feel like this then I'm sure one or two others feel the same way, I get the impression that the scene as a whole is going through the motions rather than being the force it once was, too much of everything really and in time the wheels are gonna fall off, I can't knock the people who still contribute to the scene, promoters, DJ's, collectors, magazine editors, record dealers and soul fans who attend week in week out good on everyone concerned but I can't help thinking that the reason why there is so much on with more venues than you can shake a stick at is that we are all somehow deep down scared that it's all gonna end? maybe in my case to quote Major Lance 'Ain't No Soul Left In These Old Shoes' but it's certainly in my heart always.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I have not been to a soul venue for 20 years :rolleyes:

I still buy 45s that I like !

Social source share

Say's it all really....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Above the politics and the bullshit .................. somewhere is is the music !!! :rolleyes:

Social source share

im sorry to read mark that youve lost your enthusiasm 4 visiting venues.i attended many of your events in the past when northern soul was on its ass!.still got my westbound card. maybe like money is spoiling football (arguably) the same could be said about the soul scene.i used to spend hours looking at records at all niters,now i rarely bother as the prices are overinflated,take 4 instance channel 3 wd bought in 1990 4 £3.50 for last 5 years bin listed at £150 amazing really.hope your passion 4 clubbin returns soon. diddy

Social source share

Hi Mark

I thought you had given yourself a reprieve after being in he doldrums earlier this year, I thought you were back out DJing again.

Yes there are lots of soul nights and nighters about but I believe there has always been a significant number since the 80s. I remember many a nighter clashing and soul nights appearing and disappearing

What has dramatically changed is the communication of these venues. The development of mobile phones & the Internet have changed completely how information on soul events is accessed.

20+ years ago in the main events were fairly local with in the main local attendees with the big nighters attracting crowds from all over, info was passed mouth to mouth or by flyers

So it could be that we have been in the current situation for a lot longer than we think its just that its much easier to see it all now

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

I can get great pleasure at home with a few mates and tunes but going out is for the dancing, thats what i love to do.. Maybe when i can't or don't want to dance anymore then i will stay away...

Social source share

The development of mobile phones & the Internet have changed completely how information on soul events is accessed. 20+ years ago in the main events were fairly local with in the main local attendees with the big nighters attracting crowds from all over, info was passed mouth to mouth or by flyers

The internet has also made readily available the music Steve, you no longer have to travel to hear a record or buy a record. You only have to ask on Soul Source for instance, within minutes it's usually there. The internet also brings to the front all the bad in the scene, before you never saw, read or heard of a lot of the sh*t that goes on behind the scene, now it's played out daily over the internet.

No one cares for the bigger picture with too mmany self interested promoters with many venues poorly attended with little atmosphere and many suffering from politcal (of the northern soul kind) arguements.

I'm tired of travelling to what looks like on paper a quality night only to be hugely disappointed, with several factors having an effect, usually politics and clashes. Right now can't be arsed myself with much of it, selecting just the odd venue. The music is always there Mark, whether I go out or not, thats what it's about at the end of the day.

Social source share

If you're still digging the music , then that's the main thing Mark , plus you never hear a crap record at home :lol: !! Must admit , with the internet ,you still feel involved in the scene even if you haven't been anywhere for a while , where as years ago I used to go crazy if I hadn't talked about Soul music to a like minded Soul for a while .Don't worry about it mate , do what you feel .Best wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

I've never been a regular for going out. I maybe go out to about half a dozen or so do's a year, this is usually because of work or family commitments. Also I can't be arsed to travel too far, as I don't get much spare time I don't want to be wasting it driving up and down motorways. Don't get me wrong I do enjoy going out to enjoy listening to a few tunes over a drink or two, but for me it isn't the be all and end all. As for the events that I choose to attend, these tend to be the same ones Lightwater, Farnborough Town FC, Solid Hit Soul and the 100 Club. Solid Hit Soul I haven't been to for over a year and the 100 Club I admit to normally only attending on the anniversary nights. The only other events that I have attended in the past year have been the Kent 25th Anniversary at The Forum, Soul Revolution at Shoreditch and the Chertsey alldayer for a couple of hours.

Friendship plays a big part in some decisions I make as to regards going to some events. I have two really close friends from schooldays (it was with these 2 that I attended Kent 25th & Soul Revolution), so if they have things planned I would choose them over going to a do. That's not to say I haven't made friends with some people on this scene, but having a chat and a beer at events once or twice a year cannot compare with a friendship that has spanned over 25 years. I hope this isn't coming across as not appreciating the friendship offered by so many on here, because it is appreciated, very much so. This site (thanks again Mike) has been a great help to me in meeting people and making new friends, which has made a huge difference to me when attending events.

Finally money makes a huge impact on whether I go out or not. Usually it's a straight toss up between buying a record or going out, nine times out of ten the buying of a record wins!

Social source share

Bloody hell Mark, get yourself to the Ships quack quick sharp.

Your moods are up and down like a Dockside prossies clouts.

Joe my moods are more than fine mate trouble is everytime I go to the docks I've either missed the boat or the bloody thing has sunk...lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

...and the Chertsey alldayer for a couple of hours.
I live in Chertsey and never heard about that one, SC - can you enlighten?

The nearest thing I remember was a Saturday evening one-off Soul event last year(?) in the Kings Head pub (Guildford St. opposite Woolies) ~ typically, I wasn't around that week-end and couldn't go :thumbsup:

Social source share

i think if you lose your love for the music you never felt REAL love at all....but i am with mark on this cos i have rarely stepped out more than a dozen times over the last 2 years...i took a couple of DJ bookings and enjoyed them but...as i have looked around venues ive been to of late i wonder wtf i am doing i end up mostly depressed because the music is so dire or i am accosted by somebody who has taken offence at one of my articles in SUN...so many people spannered when i am straight does not help either and frankly some of the people you see at venues are a damn joke dressed like total pillocks and behaving like they are in the full flush of youth when indeed they are pushing 50 :thumbsup: ...there are some people i like to spend time with sit and stroke my chin along with them...but my dancing days are long gone... ive only felt inspired to dance once in the last 5 years or so...BUT you have to admire the dancers because they love it so and keep doing it avoiding politics and doing what they like best..ive sadly always gained joy from a good old vinyl argument imparting and receiving vinyl knowledge buying selling etc but even that has faded somewhat because the venues are so poor...like someone mentioned earlier sticking to old faves is usually a safe bet the 100...lifeline etc because you can be fairly sure of a good nite out.....

i enjoy my soul at home but i disagree with another comment "you never heard a bad record played at home".....come on everyone must have played a record and thought good gawd was i pissed when i bought that :ohmy: ...its gotta have summat special for me to be enticed out to play these days i am sad to say...its a case of too many chiefs and not enough indians VENUE GLUT end of.......

cookie

Social source share

Lost Soul, a good question Mark .

I'll let you into 'a little secret of mine', I don't think 'I'm gonna hurt you' by telling you it, but looking at the bigger picture 'it won't work out baby'!

Stay in like me, get your 'soul anorak' on to save on the fuel bills and enjoy your music!

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Retireing again Mark ?,your dj profile with go through the roof. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark, just do what you wanna do, and after taking some time off, you may/maynot want to go out again. It is gonna end as we know it someday. What ever you do take care of yourself.

L O L to you and Jackie.

Dave&Louise Taylor x

P. S. after last season i though you would have become disenchanted with the football

Social source share

I'll let you into 'a little secret of mine', I don't think 'I'm gonna hurt you' by telling you it, but looking at the bigger picture 'it won't work out baby'!

Stay in like me, get your 'soul anorak' on to save on the fuel bills and enjoy your music!

Oh I do Simon even more so now, I asked the question as I get the impression that some people think that you can't do the soul thing if you don't attend venues which we all know to be untrue.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Hi Mark, just do what you wanna do, and after taking some time off, you may/maynot want to go out again. It is gonna end as we know it someday. What ever you do take care of yourself.

L O L to you and Jackie.

Dave&Louise Taylor x

P. S. after last season i though you would have become disenchanted with the football

See you at 'The Bridge' Dave on September 20th just to get rid of the Moscow gremlins...lol looking forward to the new season, memberships in place so bring it on mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

This is my view for whats it worth,suppose its been well stated on here anyway,the scene is so a far cry from what it was that my appetite has way gone im afraid.Egos,backstabbing,fall outs,overrated venues and over play of records that have had the arse spun outof them are the turn offs for me,I just cant be arsed to dignify anymore.

Secondly everyone has a personnel relationship with the music thats what makes it so special imho,ive used alot of my time away and believe me I was proliffic for venues in the eighties and early nineties to discover gospel,sweet soul,deep,modern and lots of funk!I am now a proud soul collector and my only interest is black music ,northern soul is part of that but so is the other genres also.

I had an awseome time at petes memorial in away it was sad that to get that spirit back again we had to celebrate the life of someone far gone [god bless him]my view of the state of the other stuff is that the passion for the scene in many quaters had been diluted by the absolute amount of bullshit that seems to fly out of peoples mouths and ears when the word northern soul is mentioned.

Just my view folks!

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest stash313

The internet has also made readily available the music Steve, you no longer have to travel to hear a record or buy a record. You only have to ask on Soul Source for instance, within minutes it's usually there. The internet also brings to the front all the bad in the scene, before you never saw, read or heard of a lot of the sh*t that goes on behind the scene, now it's played out daily over the internet.

No one cares for the bigger picture with too mmany self interested promoters with many venues poorly attended with little atmosphere and many suffering from politcal (of the northern soul kind) arguements.

I'm tired of travelling to what looks like on paper a quality night only to be hugely disappointed, with several factors having an effect, usually politics and clashes. Right now can't be arsed myself with much of it, selecting just the odd venue. The music is always there Mark, whether I go out or not, thats what it's about at the end of the day.

:unsure: very true. Maybe the internet has taken away the magic of the scene as it was?..

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

See you at 'The Bridge' Dave on September 20th just to get rid of the Moscow gremlins...lol looking forward to the new season, memberships in place so bring it on mate.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

You had a new flat screen then Mark!

Now your going to be catching MOTD most weekends If I was you I'd ban all bottles out of firing range of the TV for the next few sessions :unsure:

Steve J

Social source share

Oh I do Simon even more so now, I asked the question as I get the impression that some people think that you can't do the soul thing if you don't attend venues which we all know to be untrue.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

So they're are saying that if you like beer you have to go to the pub and can't have a few at home?

Social source share

That's all very well, each to their own and all that, but I like to hear other people's music as well.

Much as I love to listen at home sometimes, in the car etc, it's the buzz of hearing it played loud in the company of friends, and hearing new records that really does it for me.

BTW, like Mr D'Arcy often says, I can think of a few that only go out when they are DJ'ing: Do they really love the music and the scene? Or just love being in the spotlight?

Social source share

That's all very well, each to their own and all that, but I like to hear other people's music as well.

Much as I love to listen at home sometimes, in the car etc, it's the buzz of hearing it played loud in the company of friends, and hearing new records that really does it for me.

BTW, like Mr D'Arcy often says, I can think of a few that only go out when they are DJ'ing: Do they really love the music and the scene? Or just love being in the spotlight?

Can't comment on this as I've never DJ'ed.

Social source share

Take it that's not aimed at me Dave? just for the record I've DJ'd at three events this year Banbury, Winsford and Burton - On - Trent, cancelled a whole bunch of bookings so has little to do with being in the spotlight, I reckon that 27 years time served from a DJ perspective is spotlight enough for anyone....lol I simply said that venues don't do it for me anymore most of the time and I choose to do other things, as for being any less into the music because you don't attend venues is utter rubbish, of course it's nice to share the music with like minded people and I still try and make a contribution when I can, I still have a passion for the music just not the scene and if that is a crime then so be it guilty as charged.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Take it that's not aimed at me Dave? just for the record I've DJ'd at three events this year Banbury, Winsford and Burton - On - Trent, cancelled a whole bunch of bookings so has little to do with being in the spotlight, I reckon that 27 years time served from a DJ perspective is spotlight enough for anyone....lol I simply said that venues don't do it for me anymore most of the time and I choose to do other things, as for being any less into the music because you don't attend venues is utter rubbish, of course it's nice to share the music with like minded people and I still try and make a contribution when I can, I still have a passion for the music just not the scene and if that is a crime then so be it guilty as charged.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark

I feel much the same way as you at the moment. Then again i always preferred the music to the "scene".

Derek

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

The suggestion on this thread seems to be, and i might be wrong but this is the way it comes across, that if you enjoy going out and dancing in the company of other people attending venues on 'the scene' you are not as true a music fan as you guys who sit at home savouring every moment through your headphones in a darkened room.

Lots of people seem too quick to dismiss the scene and praise the music but for many people, i'd say most, this is dance music to be enjoyed in full flow on a wooden dancefloor surrounded by a hundred other like minded people and long may it be so. I agree with Stevie, the day i'm not able to dance is the day i'll pack it in.

Long live the music and the scene. I'll be out on Saturday enjoying myself as much as i ever have.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

The suggestion on this thread seems to be, and i might be wrong but this is the way it comes across, that if you enjoy going out and dancing in the company of other people attending venues on 'the scene' you are not as true a music fan as you guys who sit at home savouring every moment through your headphones in a darkened room.

Lots of people seem too quick to dismiss the scene and praise the music but for many people, i'd say most, this is dance music to be enjoyed in full flow on a wooden dancefloor surrounded by a hundred other like minded people and long may it be so. I agree with Stevie, the day i'm not able to dance is the day i'll pack it in.

Long live the music and the scene. I'll be out on Saturday enjoying myself as much as i ever have.

Not at all Matt, I certainly made no such suggestion infact it was more the other way round being if you choose not to attend the venues it somehow makes you less into the music, I've lost my way with the scene not the music and it has no reflection on what other people do.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

My take on this Mark is in agreeing with Steve and Dave, Steve for the fact of the dancing, how can we ever replace that feeling on the dance floor that ya get, its not the same at home in your slippers on the kitchen floor (even though its the best dance floor in the uk), and you would look a right twit going out in yer slippers :unsure: But I like hearing others sets and tastes in music, eclectic as ya like and thats what makes for a good nite out.... But its your choice huns and you do what ya think is best. :D

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

The part you highlighted Mark was a secondary comment regarding the malaise affecting the scene of late, alluded to on this thread and many others: too many events, often moderate musically and poorly attended, because there are people who put on events because they want to get behind the decks and care little else for the music or the scene. As for my "aim", it was broad, on an "if the cap fits.." basis.

I didn't say that anyone is less into the music because they don't attend, I merely stated my preferences, particularly where new tunes and different styles are concerned. Sorry you find that to be rubbish.

Good post Matt, you've summed up what it means to many. :unsure:

Social source share

The part you highlighted Mark was a secondary comment regarding the malaise affecting the scene of late, alluded to on this thread and many others: too many events, often moderate musically and poorly attended, because there are people who put on events because they want to get behind the decks and care little else for the music or the scene. As for my "aim", it was broad, on an "if the cap fits.." basis.

I didn't say that anyone is less into the music because they don't attend, I merely stated my preferences, particularly where new tunes and different styles are concerned. Sorry you find that to be rubbish.

Good post Matt, you've summed up what it means to many. :unsure:

I said it was rubbish to suggest if you don't attend venues then you are somehow less into the music and not that your comments were rubbish.

Thanks for all your comments and enjoy what you do.........ta ta for now.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share