Cuppy Label

Guest Coxy

Hi all,

Does anyone know which rock and roll star was associated with this label. Mate of mine needs to know to out do his father in law biggrin.gif

Cheers Trev

Social source share

• Replies 36
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

"Cuppy" was Bill Haley's wife (Joan Barbara).

I don't know if she actually ran the label or if it was someone else associated with Bill Haley though.

her full name was Barbara Joan Cupchack.

According to R&B indies it was owned by Bill Haley, Cuppy Haley (his wife no doubt), Tony Messina and Sonny Cassella.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

• 3 years later...

I recently contacted the Thornton Sisters and found out that the track I Keep Forgettin on this label is actually not them. Does anyone have any ideas who it might be?

:ohmy: really ? so did they know about this 45 existed before you contacted them ? remember one doo wop site I came across some ten years ago while doing research for and on bobby adams where their bio- and discography was on plus pictures etc. it included this cuppy 45.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What are the Heritage Showstopppers, are they reissues/boots? (I only have a Beacon copy)

TOTP

Jerry Ross signed the Showstoppers after the record became a hit here. He bought the group's contract and masters from Party Time, and reissued ANBAHP on Heritage in the hope that he'd be able to turn it into a US Hot 100 hit.

Social source share

Guest wrighty

which number is it ian, and what are the exact details (title, interpret etc) please ?

hi marc, its cuppy C-1019 "BIG BEAR" flipped with "PEOPLE" by the BIG BEAR REVUE :wink:

Social source share

Was that the Ditchdiggers Daughters site Marc?

No. I sadly cant find it anymore. It was US based Doo Wop related site. It may have gone offsite by now. But I found this (maybe the same as you?)...

"I'm writing the above because I just discovered that, 44 years after we recorded it, an old Thornton Sisters record is playing on YouTube. Who would have thought it?

- Yvonne S. Thornton, MD, MPH"

https://pagingdrthornton.com/2009/07/28/a-blast-from-my-past/

So opposite to what deanosounds was being told, the Cuppy 45 obviously is by THE Thornton Sisters

Social source share

No. I sadly cant find it anymore. It was US based Doo Wop related site. It may have gone offsite by now. But I found this (maybe the same as you?)...

"I'm writing the above because I just discovered that, 44 years after we recorded it, an old Thornton Sisters record is playing on YouTube. Who would have thought it?

https://pagingdrthorn...t-from-my-past/

So opposite to what deanosounds was being told, the Cuppy 45 obviously is by THE Thornton Sisters

Marc, the YouTube vid linked to the comment is no longer available. You're sure she talks about "I keep forgettin" and not about the other release ("Big City Boy" wasn't it?)

Social source share

That's too funny! This is woman who told me it wasn't the Thornton Sisters and she was in the group! I think the youtube link was put up with probably just thornton sisters in the title and it turned out to be that track because it's been removed.

Don't mean to agrue. I just want to get to the bottom of this.

https://pagingdrthorn...t-from-my-past/

Social source share

Google'd a bit (as you do when in the office shhh.gif) and found this article here. See comment at bottom of it, looks like it's not "the" Thornton Sisters on Cuppy (not that it really bothers me to be honest)

both links are about the same people involved. the second link adds to that pictures which show the thornton sisters on cuppy. so thats the evidence here..I am bothered big time by the way. have always liked the thornton sisters on cuppy and the label itself.

Social source share

both links are about the same people involved. the second link adds to that pictures which show the thornton sisters on cuppy. so thats the evidence here..I am bothered big time by the way. have always liked the thornton sisters on cuppy and the label itself.

which pictures ???

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!