Record Shop In Nottingham - Rob Smith?

Guest MattB

Guest MattB

I've heard of a record shop in Nottingham that could be a good day out, packed full of records, mainly soul etc, has anyone been and does anyone know where it is? I heard it may be run by someone called Rob Smith but i could be wrong so apologies if i've brought your name into this and i'm wrong.

Thanks.

Matt

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

yes i was there recently. its like alladins cave....... no organization but fun trawlling.

i fitted a nando`s chicken shop out and its straight opposite but up a side alley.

the alley is next to a kebab house. but your main focal point is the square with a big

cathedral or something in it. sorry i cant remember the names of streets. i popped in every day

and spent sbout 300 quid in all.

dave

Social source share

I've heard of a record shop in Nottingham that could be a good day out, packed full of records, mainly soul etc, has anyone been and does anyone know where it is? I heard it may be run by someone called Rob Smith but i could be wrong so apologies if i've brought your name into this and i'm wrong.

Thanks.

Matt

Yep it's Rob Smiths shop. It's in Hurts Yard off of Parliament Street in the City Centre.

Rob is a collector, seller and DJ.

The shops a tip!

:lol:

Social source share

yes i was there recently. its like alladins cave....... no organization but fun trawlling.

i fitted a nando`s chicken shop out and its straight opposite but up a side alley.

the alley is next to a kebab house. but your main focal point is the square with a big

cathedral or something in it. sorry i cant remember the names of streets. i popped in every day

and spent sbout 300 quid in all.

dave

Slab square. The building is the Council House. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Brilliant bloke Rob and probably the most travelled dealer in the UK, he's everywhere. If you're prepared to dig through his boxes you can find some good stuff.

Social source share

Brilliant bloke Rob and probably the most travelled dealer in the UK, he's everywhere. If you're prepared to dig through his boxes you can find some good stuff.

Wish you would dig for my Charles Hodges on Genuine and Oliver Joy on Big Deal left them there 15 years ago for someone to look at ,Rob put them in one of his brown paper bags never to be seen again worth £600 now real bugger he says there in here some where :huh:

Social source share

Guest MattB

Sounds great, anyone got a contact for him? Just wanting to see when the shops open so i don't make a wasted trip! Quite excited about going though!

Thanks for the replies guys!

Matt

Social source share

rob is a mind of info if you tell him what you after he can tell you were it is dont know how he does it but he knows were every record is he just blows me away........... rob have you got...........yea its in that box....... amazing guy a true gent of the northern soul seen i have brought loads of the guy shop is a alladins cave

Social source share

Guest MattB

Rang him earlier and gave him a wants list, very helpful and knowledgeable, good to discover a nice new place to spend the banks money.

Social source share

Ey he is but he has still got my bloody records :lol:

must be record shop owners ted, i borrowed SWISH from york my SOUL SUPERMAN W/D LP to tape, kept asking for it back, he said the same its in here somewhere when he had his shop, one day i was looking through the lp racks and there it was for bloody sale, best thing was it was priced at £20 :lol::thumbup::lol:

Social source share

I hope your insured , records stack up to the ceiling literally. One thing your can be sure of is , if you want a certain record Rob will know exactly where it will be. You do realise that you may never be seen again :lol:

Social source share

Thanks.

Matt

Hi matt worked for rob in the late 70's early 80's in the shop which was originally thhe headquaters of kev robeerts destiney record label when it went under rob took over the lease of the shop . when i worked there everything was in a to z order but over the years this has gone to pot but if you have hours to spend trawlimg through stuff then your bound to find stuff you want , top man rob the correct shop address is rob's records unit 4 hurts yard nottingham

opening times are in the week from around 10 am till 5pm saturdays are a little earlier i think .

:(:(:lol::lol:

Social source share

at one time you were able to go upstairs,but when you did you were left wondering how the floor didn't collapse.Like Mak said,take out insurance against avalanches,there's records everywhere.

He seems to know where they all are too.............well almost.Great character :( .

Social source share

Thanks.

Matt

Was in the shop this week! nothing as changed, records & CD's everywhere, Rob great bloke.

Barry

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

I may have to go seeing as never been and my dad comes from Nottingham. I went to Nottingham a good 15 years ago and had no idea there was a shop for Northern then

Social source share

I may have to go seeing as never been and my dad comes from Nottingham. I went to Nottingham a good 15 years ago and had no idea there was a shop for Northern then

Pls be aware its closed one of the weekdays cant remember which ?? had heard a lot ab it and a friend took me there but sadly on the wrong day.... :ohmy: Next time Im in Nottingham maybe . A few beers at the soulcaf made up for it

Social source share

Thanks.

Matt

he is called Rob Smith (hence Rob's Records)........... he still greets customers with 'SIR' or 'MADAME'...........

the shop is identified by a sandwich board outside with the words handwritten stating 'Rob's Records'........

also all of the windows are completely covered in 'Soul' flyers and records are stacked so you cannot see daylight......

inside you will find records are wall to wall, ceiling to ceiling....(neatly stacked - LOL)..... there is also just enough room to squeeze around................. and there are records to suit all tastes including possibly the biggest stock of northern soul in the country........ If you cant see what you are looking for (laffin) believe me Rob knows (how the hell does he do it).......

This photo was taken a couple of months ago...... (yep cheesy :thumbsup: grin belongs to Rob Smith).........

on a personal note Rob is a great friend and is highly respected on the Soul scene................

Tracey n Andy

post-8847-1217774742_thumb.jpg

post-8847-1217775582_thumb.jpg

post-8847-1217775710_thumb.jpg

Edited by bettyboop
Social source share

just to add to the thread rob has been great for me as a buyer of stuff, you know when life gets a bit tight, took loads of stuff to rob and he gave me a more than fair price, its also very interesting to see over the years the 45,s that ive taken to robs in collections etc coming into vogue, get in there i say you may find my old copies of bobby moore, teardrops, the ballads, milton floyd, kalyan plus loads more, a very trustworthy honest good bloke is rob,

Social source share

Thanks.

Matt

Always visit Robs when down nottingham seeing friends great for picking up a cheapie also ask him to see his more valued vinyl keeps a few boxes tucked away get there early and make room for yourself twos company threes a crowd in the shop ,real nice guy Rob any questions hes your man

Social source share

he is called Rob Smith (hence Rob's Records)........... he still greets customers with 'SIR' or 'MADAME'...........

the shop is identified by a sandwich board outside with the words handwritten stating 'Rob's Records'........

also all of the windows are completely covered in 'Soul' flyers and records are stacked so you cannot see daylight......

inside you will find records are wall to wall, ceiling to ceiling....(neatly stacked - LOL)..... there is also just enough room to squeeze around................. and there are records to suit all tastes including possibly the biggest stock of northern soul in the country........ If you cant see what you are looking for (laffin) believe me Rob knows (how the hell does he do it).......

This photo was taken a couple of months ago...... (yep cheesy :thumbup: grin belongs to Rob Smith).........

on a personal note Rob is a great friend and is highly respected on the Soul scene................

Tracey n Andy

thats a brill post to a thread that is, superbly put,as everyone has said mr smith is a great bloke, but i could never understand a word the man said on the mike when hes djing !!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!