Joy Lovejoy

We All know the popular oldie IN ORBIT by JOY LOVEJOY

Does anyone know anything about her!!

Did she ever have any other releases, was that her real name etc

Every time i ask someone that havent a clue!!

Apologies if this has been i thread already but i have never seen one!!

cheers fot ya time

Nige b x

Social source share

• Replies 61
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

cheers fot ya time

Nige b x

I have attempted to find out who Miss Lovejoy was / is on several occasions , and even brought up the topic / subject on SS , many moons ago , but to no avial ........

Deserved of the title of a classic club / northern soul scene record , " IO " is a cracking record - that opening is one of the best intros on / of a record ever ........

When I have discussed the subject of JL with others - if that was / is her real name - the assumption was that she was a backing / session singer at Chess , and was given her shot at stardom with " IO " , because of her her vocal prowess , or she was drafted in after the original / scheduled artist for the song ( a song suitable to vocal style of Ko Ko Taylor ) could not make the session : either way , when the record failed to make an impact , she went back unto the shadows ........

I . like you Nige , are intrigued by the mystery that surrounds Joy Lovejoy : someone out there must know !! ......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

cheers fot ya time

Nige b x

hi nige a point of intrest about" in orbit" its one of the rarest chess demos, only ever seen one. that said someone will now post a scan of one!!!! :D

Social source share

hi nige a point of intrest about" in orbit" its one of the rarest chess demos, only ever seen one. that said someone will now post a scan of one!!!! whistling.gif

Hi Dave and all

Thanks for the replys so far!!

This all started at the Kings Hall hall niter had a conversation with someone said that considering the record is so popular on our scene over the years did i realise that know one knows anything about her!!

No Dave ive never seen a DEMO in all my nearly 40 years of collecting the little black things,, yes if some one has a scan it would really be cool!!

I asked if she had another name as i was once told Joanne Garret was Minnie Ripperton of "Loving You " fame

Anyone got anything to add??

Nige b

Social source share

Must admit I always thought she was either a session singer or a "psuedonym" / moonlighter.

Nothing in any of the Chess story writings about her?

Always been a cracking good record.

One of my favourite records of all time ..................but I think you would of probably guessed that by now steve as I play it nearly every Blue Skies laugh.gif and a very special personal one.

I do know of one demo :D

QoFxx

Social source share

I asked if she had another name as i was once told Joanne Garret was Minnie Ripperton of "Loving You " fame

Nige b

He's confused on the Minnie Ripperton Jo Anne Garrett thing as Minnie Ripperton also released a track under the psuedonym Andrea Davis Chess 1980 - Andrea Davis : Lonely Girl / You Gave Me Soul (1967) Vocally very different from Joy Lovejoy though

Social source share

do know of one demo wink.gif

QoFxx

AHHHH! The Elusive IN Orbit Demo the Holy Grail of the N Soul world :D

Do we get to know Whos got it and can we have a scan prey tell ?

Nige,

Have you ever asked Kev?... I'm sure he told me something about this when we were in LA.... I might be wrong though.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Nige,

Have you ever asked Kev?... I'm sure he told me something about this when we were in LA.... I might be wrong though.

Jayne.x.

Dya know i never thought of Kev!! Hes got that many storys and anecdotes of people hes met and worked with along the way

In fact hes an anaraks dream!!

Yes must ask him when i se him at the Derby Time All Niter ( shameless plug ) nest time i see him!!

Seeya later??

Nige

Social source share

One of my favourite records of all time ..................but I think you would of probably guessed that by now steve as I play it nearly every Blue Skies :wave: and a very special personal one.

I do know of one demo :lol:

QoFxx

Does he still have it though whistling.gif , thought he sold it for a kings ransom! :D

Social source share

hi nige a point of intrest about" in orbit" its one of the rarest chess demos, only ever seen one. that said someone will now post a scan of one!!!! whistling.gif

Hi Dave and all

Thanks for the replys so far!!

This all started at the Kings Hall hall niter had a conversation with someone said that considering the record is so popular on our scene over the years did i realise that know one knows anything about her!!

No Dave ive never seen a DEMO in all my nearly 40 years of collecting the little black things,, yes if some one has a scan it would really be cool!!

Anyone got anything to add??

Nige b

Like you and everyone else I was intrigued about Joy Lovejoy . Sneaked a quiet hour from desk at work and scoured the internet ,chess story ,discographies Billy Davis story etc --the bloody works and not a bean. Bloody incredible. If it wasn't for In orbit' no record of her existence! Anyway other things do pop up when you are having an 'anorak hour' :lol: I didn't know that Minnie Ripperton was one of 'The Gems' and that Billy Davis first started in the music biz with Berry gordys sister (she was under a different name) Others probably know this ---but all new info for me anyway. :lol:

Better get back to work -----although just getting into anorak mode now and hungry for info :D:wave:

Social source share

Like you and everyone else I was intrigued about Joy Lovejoy . Sneaked a quiet hour from desk at work and scoured the internet ,chess story ,discographies Billy Davis story etc --the bloody works and not a bean. Bloody incredible. If it wasn't for In orbit' no record of her existence! Anyway other things do pop up when you are having an 'anorak hour' :lol: I didn't know that Minnie Ripperton was one of 'The Gems' and that Billy Davis first started in the music biz with Berry gordys sister (she was under a different name) Others probably know this ---but all new info for me anyway. :lol:

Better get back to work -----although just getting into anorak mode now and hungry for info :thumbup::lol:

As a teen, Minnie Riperton sang lead vocals for the Chicago-based girl group The Gems. Her early affiliation with the legendary Chess record label afforded her the opportunity to sing backup for such acts as Etta James, Fontella Bass, Ramsey Lewis, Bo Diddley and Muddy Waters. While with Chess, Riperton also sang for the experimental rock/soul group Rotary Connection from 1967 to 1971.

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Nothing in Robert Pruter's "Chicago Soul" either, which is odd..........

Ridiculous that we can't find out anything. You'd think with a name like that there'd be more info.........

Ian D :thumbup:

well there is someone called joy lovejoy, and with a media connection in that husband Hugh Lutton was big in Cincinnati radio, apparently, not for one minute suggesting its the same person, just a bit of googleing!

https://www.iabcheritageregion.com/BoardMembers/Lovejoy.htm

Social source share

Came across a group called the Red Saunders Research Foundation who are conducting research on chicago record labels chess included they have only reached about 1958 at the moment but have emailed them to see if they have any info, well it's better than doing any real work :thumbup:

QoFxx

Social source share

Nothing in Robert Pruter's "Chicago Soul" either, which is odd..........

Ridiculous that we can't find out anything. You'd think with a name like that there'd be more info.........

Ian D :thumbup:

I will say that despite having all chicago names on the record, that I have never found that record in Chicago and it definitely didn't get any play in Chicago. I will ask Gene Barge about it the next time I talk to him.

Social source share

Like Joy Lovejoy, ' Sunday' - Ain't got no problems' is another Chess artist I have attempted to find info on but have hit blanks everywhere.......The Chess brothers must have had a stash of mysterious ladies they wheeled out and then sent back into their day jobs. Any info would be most appreciated on this lady.

Social source share

Like Joy Lovejoy, ' Sunday' - Ain't got no problems' is another Chess artist I have attempted to find info on but have hit blanks everywhere.......The Chess brothers must have had a stash of mysterious ladies they wheeled out and then sent back into their day jobs. Any info would be most appreciated on this lady.

Ah, but Sonday (Williams) was leased from Alteen, where it was first issued...

Social source share

Yep, was aware of the Alteen issue, my question is really about; anything esle on her?

well she definitely WAS a chicago artist, and she had a second 45 on red balloon written by eddie sullivan, who I interviewed a couple of weeks ago. I know some people that knew her but don't have any other interesting information to tell you...

Social source share

Well, the Joy Lovejoy issue gets even more interesting ....

Can anyone explain this issue of In Orbit on US ARGO !!!!

Check out the photo on this link

https://thehookandsling.podbean.com/2008/07/23/couldnt-hold-back-if-i-tried-to/

Wasn't Argo summat do with Cadet, a subsidary Of Chess records. May explain the link perhaps? After reading the above though---- will the real Joy Lovejoy please stand up smile.gif . Any geneaologists on here----perhaps someone could trace the lovejoy family tree :wicked: . Don't suppose she's any relation to Ronnie Lovejoy who was linked with some of Leon Haywards music.

Social source share

Wasn't Argo summat do with Cadet, a subsidary Of Chess records. May explain the link perhaps? After reading the above though---- will the real Joy Lovejoy please stand up :wicked: . Any geneaologists on here----perhaps someone could trace the lovejoy family tree :shades: . Don't suppose she's any relation to Ronnie Lovejoy who was linked with some of Leon Haywards music.

Was her brother an antique dealer in East Anglia unsure.gif

QoFxx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Wasn't Argo summat do with Cadet, a subsidary Of Chess records. May explain the link perhaps? After reading the above though---- will the real Joy Lovejoy please stand up smile.gif . Any geneaologists on here----perhaps someone could trace the lovejoy family tree :wicked: . Don't suppose she's any relation to Ronnie Lovejoy who was linked with some of Leon Haywards music.

Wikipedia:-

Leonard Chess bought a stake in a record company called Aristocrat Records in 1947; in 1950 Leonard brought his brother Phil into the operation and they became sole owners of the company and renamed it Chess Records. In 1952 the brothers started Checker Records, as an alternative label for radio play (radio stations would only play a limited number of records for any one imprint). In December 1956 they launched a jazz label called Marterry, which was quickly renamed Argo Records. Argo changed its name in 1965 to Cadet Records to end confusion with an older British classical music label named Argo.

QoFxx

Social source share

How can it be a boot when it was released by a subsidiary of chess.......................a re-issue yes but not a boot :thumbup: Still think it shouldn't be played out but not a boot as it was a legal copy.

QoFxx

cool.gif

Sorry, no - It's a Boot as in 'not a proper ARGO release'.

It's just a Boot 'mocked up' as an ARGO release.

Sean

https://www.motown-vinyl.co.uk/index.php?ma...products_id=783

Complete with Doug Banks on the flip! :-)

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

cool.gif

Sorry, no - It's a Boot as in 'not a proper ARGO release'.

It's just a Boot 'mocked up' as an ARGO release.

Sean

My copy is on chess so I couldn't give a F**k but just if not a proper argo release I bow to your superior knowledge :thumbup: was just throwing a couple of spanners..............

Still one of the greatest records ever made.......................... :)

QoFxx

Social source share

My copy is on chess so I couldn't give a F**k but just if not a proper argo release I bow to your superior knowledge :thumbup: was just throwing a couple of spanners..............

Still one of the greatest records ever made.......................... :D

QoFxx

:D

To be honest, it wouldn't have needed a great deal of 'superior knowledge' on that one...

...but thanks all the same!

:)

Sean

Social source share

:)

To be honest, it wouldn't have needed a great deal of 'superior knowledge' on that one...

...but thanks all the same!

:thumbup:

Sean

But if Argo is a subisd of chess and they released it surely it is just a re-release as they would of had the rights to it................not a copy I would buy or play but just interested int he semantics.

QoFxx

Social source share

But if Argo is a subisd of chess and they released it surely it is just a re-release as they would of had the rights to it................not a copy I would buy or play but just interested int he semantics.

QoFxx

ARGO is no more.

Hasn't been around for Decades.

It 'was' a sub of Chess, but it no longer exists.

The individual who bootlegged this record 'copied' the style of the Argo label to try and pass it off as some kind of legitimate issue.

But its not.

Its just a copy.

And not a very good one.

It's a bit like a photocopied five pound note. It kinda looks like a real one. But its not!

:thumbup:

Sean

Social source share

Bit of an update on my original thread,,,,,

Kev Roberts has been in touch with me over the weekend, and is pretty sure hes onto solving the Joy Lovejoy mystery

The problem is he wont be seeing the vital source till eary next year in the states,, so i guess unless the anaraks on here dont crack the case , i have to wait a few months

Nige b

Social source share

Well, the Joy Lovejoy issue gets even more interesting ....

Can anyone explain this issue of In Orbit on US ARGO !!!!

Check out the photo on this link

https://thehookandsling.podbean.com/2008/07/23/couldnt-hold-back-if-i-tried-to/

wasnt that one of the boots from the turn of the decade that also did back to back classics

on RCA ABC and the like.

dave

Social source share

There is another release on Chess from Joy Lovejoy-- Countdown

which from the title sounds promising.

Unfortunately, it's not in the same league.

Tony

is that the same song as the Denise LaSalle track "Countdown(fly me to the moon)" on Chess?.If it is,i really like that track.

KEV. :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!