Joy Lovejoy

• Replies 61
  • Views 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guys I'm a bit of a lurker & don't generally post so please don't crucify me if this sounds a bit left of field :huh: but for what it's worth............. I'm a fan of Albert Kings music, in 1971 he released an album on Stax called Lovejoy with a track called 'Lovejoy Ill.' referring the town of Brooklyn which is affectionately called 'Lovejoy' after Elijah Parish Lovejoy a famous Presbyterian Minister well known for his abolitionist views. It is also supposedly known as Americas first 'black' town (a freedom village). It's possible that 'Lovejoy' could relate to this town rather than being her actual surname as in Joy from Lovejoy reason I think this because Elijah Lovejoy was not an African American but of English decent .... or if as Ken says it 'white trash' then the Lovejoy may in fact be a relation of old Elijah after all g.gif Anyway it's just a thought & maybe another avenue the anoraks could look down.

Social source share

Well, the Joy Lovejoy issue gets even more interesting ....

Can anyone explain this issue of In Orbit on US ARGO !!!!

Check out the photo on this link

https://thehookandsling.podbean.com/2008/07/23/couldnt-hold-back-if-i-tried-to/

Never seen it on ARGO, even as a Re-Issue. Guessing it's recent?

The other two look like my copies, the scans that I posted on >>> Sharp End <<<

It would be good to see a scan of the DEMO.

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

• 1 month later...

I will say that despite having all chicago names on the record, that I have never found that record in Chicago and it definitely didn't get any play in Chicago. I will ask Gene Barge about it the next time I talk to him.

I called Gene Barge. He didn't remember anything about the record, except that he thought that Joy was part of a singing group of three sisters and that they pulled her out of the group to be a solo artist. He thought she wasn't from Chicago. I guess the final person to ask would be raynard miner.

Social source share

I called Gene Barge. He didn't remember anything about the record, except that he thought that Joy was part of a singing group of three sisters and that they pulled her out of the group to be a solo artist. He thought she wasn't from Chicago. I guess the final person to ask would be raynard miner.

Thanks once again,

We are a little closer to finding her, strange that she should be so elusive.

Social source share

Thanks for that Bob .........

Your information goes to possibly confirming what a group of us on SS , believe to be the case with the mysterious Joy Lovejoy , that she was a backing or session singer , and the quality of her voice led to her being chosen for the recordings of " In Orbit " and

" Oh Hum " .......

One day . all may be revealed .........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

• 2 months later...

Bob,

The identity of Joy Lovejoy is still bugging me and I've thought long and hard about whether any other female artist from the Chess stable has a vocal similarity.

I've come to the conclusion that Joy Lovejoy could be Joanne Garrett !

Quite similar vocal timbre and approach although In Orbit is a little grittier than Joanne Garrett's usual smoother vocal stylings. What do you think?

And was Joanne Garrett with Chess at the time of release of In Orbit ?

Social source share

Bob,

The identity of Joy Lovejoy is still bugging me and I've thought long and hard about whether any other female artist from the Chess stable has a vocal similarity.

I've come to the conclusion that Joy Lovejoy could be Joanne Garrett !

Quite similar vocal timbre and approach although In Orbit is a little grittier than Joanne Garrett's usual smoother vocal stylings. What do you think?.

And was Joanne Garrett with Chess at the time of release of In Orbit ?

I don't think so, Gene Barge thought she was from not Chicago and part of a girl group. I can ask Jo Ann Garrett about it. I still have not called Raynard Miner to ask him (I have never talked to him before and I have to call someone to get his number). I will try to do it sooner. Thanks.

Social source share

Guest POTTERIESPECK

JUST TO THROW ANOTHER SPANNER INTO THE WORKS ! BUT I WONDERED IF MICK SMITH HAD ANY INFO, I AM SURE IT WAS MICK WHO DISCOVERED ANOTHER MASSIVE CHESS TRACK FROM THE SAME ERA [ TONY CLARKE'S - LANDSLDE } ! - JUST A THOUGHT. Hope me post won' cause any embarrishment to MICK.

Social source share

• 11 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert