Girls, Girls N More Girls In Peterborough Last Night

Just a quick note to say a big thanks to Ray n Russ (the organisers) for last nights first girls themed night at the City Club in Peterborough.

Me and my girlfriend had a fab night! :P

The atrium room (see Rays pics in warm up thread) was (imho) just the right size, with a nice bar n chill out area right beside it,conducive to a great atmosphere.

We got there just after 8 (as I didnt want to leave it too late with the early finish) and at that point Michele (Catfish) was waiting to start spinning some of her (not so modest/humble) tunes. My god, she's a demon on the mike! When I d.j'd locally a couple of years back I could hardly speak for nerves, but oh no,not Michele...you did a brillliant job to get the party started and warm us all up hun, ta!

And warm up it certainly did! (thanks for eventually opening the doors guys,adjacent flat-dwellers irrespective, the place was boiling by the time a few more arrived)...

Too many top tunes to name all of them for me, but thanks to Russ for playing the Shalimars for me n Ray for Martha Starr (oldie but a very nostalgic goodie!) Why on earth Russ refused to play Jimmy Ruffin, on a female vocalist only night, and change the artist in question's name to Jemima as I suggested, helpfully, I thought :D ,is beyond me! :lol:

Dolly played a blinder (after numerous changes of clothing due to"her nerves" (ha! thats a laugh..and anyone who's seen her record collection knows what I mean there!)....lovely to chat to you again "Kathleen" (thats what I'm calling you from now on n you know why!)

Great to see so many people there we know (it was packed by 9.30 I seem to recall) especially Russ's lady (Linda) who I havent seen for some time, lol Linda x and chat to a few I've not really talked to properly before (hi Bridget,Cambridge soul Dave Melvin (n friend) n Matt wave.gif ...ta for the compliment Matt...look forward to seeing all those pics you took of my feet! (whats that all about?!? tongue.gif )

All in all a really great night, and a credit to the organisers who obviously put a lot of work into getting this event up and running. Good luck boys....this girl, for one, will be "out to get ya" again soon!

Gail x

• Replies 38
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Just a quick note to say a big thanks to Ray n Russ (the organisers) for last nights first girls themed night at the City Club in Peterborough.

Me and my girlfriend had a fab night! :D

The atrium room (see Rays pics in warm up thread) was (imho) just the right size, with a nice bar n chill out area right beside it,conducive to a great atmosphere.

We got there just after 8 (as I didnt want to leave it too late with the early finish) and at that point Michele (Catfish) was waiting to start spinning some of her (not so modest/humble) tunes. My god, she's a demon on the mike! When I d.j'd locally a couple of years back I could hardly speak for nerves, but oh no,not Michele...you did a brillliant job to get the party started and warm us all up hun, ta!

And warm up it certainly did! (thanks for eventually opening the doors guys,adjacent flat-dwellers irrespective, the place was boiling by the time a few more arrived)...

Too many top tunes to name all of them for me, but thanks to Russ for playing the Shalimars for me n Ray for Martha Starr (oldie but a very nostalgic goodie!) Why on earth Russ refused to play Jimmy Ruffin, on a female vocalist only night, and change the artist in question's name to Jemima as I suggested, helpfully, I thought :D ,is beyond me! :lol:

Dolly played a blinder (after numerous changes of clothing due to"her nerves" (ha! thats a laugh..and anyone who's seen her record collection knows what I mean there!)....lovely to chat to you again "Kathleen" (thats what I'm calling you from now on n you know why!)

Great to see so many people there we know (it was packed by 9.30 I seem to recall) especially Russ's lady (Linda) who I havent seen for some time, lol Linda x and chat to a few I've not really talked to properly before (hi Bridget,Cambridge soul Dave Melvin (n friend) n Matt wave.gif ...ta for the compliment Matt...look forward to seeing all those pics you took of my feet! (whats that all about?!? :P )

All in all a really great night, and a credit to the organisers who obviously put a lot of work into getting this event up and running. Good luck boys....this girl, for one, will be "out to get ya" again soon!

Gail x

Heard this went down very well according to my dear friend Kathleen,Ive herd her before and kno this young aspiring DJ has wot it takes! Has sum fantastic tunage that she has unearthed herself,and has the ear and the balls to get behind them with such passion and gusto. Truley an asset at any venue wink.gif

Welldone nana Dolly!!!! Lookin forward to your next one!

Cogster x x

a personal perspective.......

The City Club, Atrium, Peterborough

About a year ago, after protracted back-biting, petty arguments, people posturing to preserve their egos I left the City Club, which I had the honour of promoting for a while, vowing never to return.

Since then the venue has had Northern promoted by local promoter, nope, not interested, the pain still too deep.

A Different Kind of Rare Soul by some other 'Boro promoters, still didn't feel an urge to go there.

The Restless Blue Cat team, may have venture forwards to put the past behind me with this one but never got the opportunity.

Now Ray Mahoney and Russ Hollis have taken the reigns of this most excellent venue, two nicer chaps one could not wish to meet, thought it was time, and appropriate to lay the ghost of the City Club to rest once and for all, good choice, no, excellent choice.

Ray and Russ had decided to lay a 'theme' on this first night of their hopefully enduring adventure, the theme was Female Artistes and Girl Groups.

At first on may think that applying a theme may place restrictions on the quality of the soul provided.... Not a bit of it.

Although we got there a bit late and only caught "Dolly", Russ and Ray's sets and the quality of music was far from diluted, it was, to my ears enhanced.

Restricting the playlist as they did meant that the dee-jays had to think harder about their sets, dig deeper and actually work, and it did work, it worked for them, for me, and for those who attended from as far afield as Yorkshire to St.Ives.

Not sure what the next theme in the next event will be but with the attendees steeped in a passion for quality soul, quality venue and quality atmosphere would hardly need a theme to bring them in.

The City Club... Under new "Soul-Management" and, once again, a place of pure delight, nice one Ray and Russ.

images on: https://ournorthernsouls.org/reviews.aspx

Our 1st visit to this venue.......and a great time we had.

After a detour of around 70 miles after picking up PJ and his Mrs(jesus them old fen roads are dark and i mean dark,bends in the road that spring up on ya ,rivers each side of the road,its about the only time ive driven slow,we only saw three other cars on these roads).

The venue nice and comfy,friendly people,nice shandy for sale(me driving) sad.gif .Music real good tunes played out.

DJs all very very good,sorry Catfish i missed your set but i heard you was good,Russ & Ray(sounds like a comedy act :D )both these chaps were on top form,but for me our Dolly was just perfect,more so when she got into her 70s section, NOT a bad tune played by this lady....WELL DONE DOLLY !!.

It was nice to meet up with me old mate the Gurning champion of Bury Mr Dave Rivers(only messin' about the gurning),evenafter a 5 hour drive still a smile on his face.

Thanks for the invite lads i will return,and no doubt every one else from last night will return to such a good night..

Thanks go to Melv Morton for the donation for the Soulgate bash (posted it today to terry Cozens).

Toby..

Our 1st visit to this venue.......and a great time we had.

After a detour of around 70 miles after picking up PJ and his Mrs(jesus them old fen roads are dark and i mean dark,bends in the road that spring up on ya ,rivers each side of the road,its about the only time ive driven slow,we only saw three other cars on these roads).

The venue nice and comfy,friendly people,nice shandy for sale(me driving) :lol: .Music real good tunes played out.

DJs all very very good,sorry Catfish i missed your set but i heard you was good,Russ & Ray(sounds like a comedy act :lol: )both these chaps were on top form,but for me our Dolly was just perfect,more so when she got into her 70s section, NOT a bad tune played by this lady....WELL DONE DOLLY !!.

It was nice to meet up with me old mate the Gurning champion of Bury Mr Dave Rivers(only messin' about the gurning),evenafter a 5 hour drive still a smile on his face.

Thanks for the invite lads i will return,and no doubt every one else from last night will return to such a good night..

Thanks go to Melv Morton for the donation for the Soulgate bash (posted it today to terry Cozens).

Toby..

I thought i would support Kathleen on her visit to Peterborough, little did i know that she would try to kill me in the little chef! sad.gif

Fortunately it was only my sas training that saved me (the airline , not the regiment!). :D No more trips for awhile :lol:

The concept worked very well as all the djs played great sets with michelle and kate both playing great tunes to a receptive floor.

very proud of my mate and looking forward to her doing a grandma's night !

The 3 hours home were uneventful ,thankfully. :)

I thought i would support Kathleen on her visit to Peterborough, little did i know that she would try to kill me in the little chef! :lol:

Fortunately it was only my sas training that saved me (the airline , not the regiment!). :D No more trips for awhile :lol:

The concept worked very well as all the djs played great sets with michelle and kate both playing great tunes to a receptive floor.

very proud of my mate and looking forward to her doing a grandma's night !

The 3 hours home were uneventful ,thankfully. :)

Come Dave spill the beans ! how did Dolly (Kathleen) try to do you in then,i bet she put a baked bean in your mouth & you nearly passed out. Are your sure about the sas or should it be the SSS (Surbiton Surrey Suspects) :lol: .

It was great to catch up with you again last night mate,at least you had lights on the motorway going home,me i was in total pitch black ,never going on them roads again. See ya soon mate at lifeline most likely.Dont forgt my requests please,

Toby..

wow, what a fantastic opening night! its always abit nervy before the event thinking, what if know one

turns up, people not enjoying themselves etc, but them thoughts where forgotten by 9.00pm as there

was a near full house. a fantastic smart venue with a awesome inhouse system that certainly gave justice

to the music played.

very nice to see alot of locals plus a very healthy following that had travelled to witness the opening

night, and hopefully they went home happy, we thankyou.

have to agree with mick(coops) regards the fact that because of the theme ,that it gives the dj/s alittle

more to think about, but that was what we wanted to achieve and not having djs turning up with loads

of record boxes just to play say a 20/25ish 45 set in 60mins ,and it was nice that our guests turned up

early and stayed to the end, it really pisses me off that some djs will turn up late play there set then

bugger off!!

ok regards our guest djs for the opening night firstly; michelle aka catfish, i was very impressed with

her selection of tunes, even more impressed as she seemed to be a natural on the mike, clear sounding

and funny aswell, you could see the enjoyment she was getting from playing her prized processions.

secondly; dolly aka dollynormal1, i had been told that this lady had some class tunage, they were

certainly right as she delivered a varied selection of 60s 70s modern 45s, of which the latter i thank

her as i get a right earfull from my other half regards that i dont play any 70s, modern but anyone

that knows me, knows im a hardened 60s fan. so thanks for making her happy and a excellent spot

dolly was alittle nervous but she soon forgot the nerves as the floor started to respond to her

tunes.

highlights for me; firstly was when gail came up and asked me for jimmy ruffin at a "girls girls girls" theme

night! but i had to forgive her when she came out with ok then "jemina ruffin" :thumbsup: played at 78rpms!!

secondly seeing ray pissed and i mean pissed he even undid his top button! but then realised what he

had done and soon did it back up again lol these youngsters cant handle there drink, i dont think

jo was very impressed, had to help him out in the end as he was slurring abit and even played the

same record twice :)

thirdly having a chance to play some of my 45s that dont see the turntable only for home use very

much enjoyed my evening.

ok a playlist, here goes;

clara ward - the right direction - verve dj

shalimars - stop and take a look at yourself - verve dj (request for gail)

aretha franklin - tighten up your tie, button up your jacket - columbia wdj (request for matt)

beverly & the delcapris - mama i think i know - columbia wdj

liz verdi - think it over - columbia wdj

bonnie herman - hush dont cry - columbia wdj

patti austin - ive given all my love - coral dj

patti austin - youre too much a part of me - coral dj

gladys tyler - a little bitty girl - decca dj (request for gibba)

joey heatherton - when you call me baby - decca dj

leslie uggams - dont you even care - atlantic

master four - love from the far east - tayster

sharpets - lost in a world of a dream - sound city

jackie forrest - show me how to love - platinum dj

betty turner - the winds kept laughing - crescent dj

shawn robinson - my dear heart - minit

janice - i need you like a baby - roulette wdj

betty moorer - speed up - wand dj

margie joseph - one more chance - vault wdj

naomi wilson - do you feel what i feel - ua wdj

bonnie brisker - so much lovin - magic city

thelma lindsey - prepared to love you - magic city wdj

supremes - yourve been so wonderful to me - motown

kim weston - im still loving you - tamla

darlene love - too late to say your sorry - reprise wdj

gayle harris - aint gonna let it get me down - dcp

double decking with ray(pisshead!!)

gwen davis - my man think i know - sound stage 7

barbara lynn - im a good woman - tribe dj

helen shapiro - shop around - uk columbia

bobbettes - happy go lucky me - rca

marlena shaw - lets wade in the water - cadet

thelma houston - baby mine - capitol wdj

dottie cambrigde - cry your eyes out - mgm

lavern baker - im the one to do it - brunswick dj

esther phillips - just say goodbye - atlantic

thanks again for all your support and keep a look out for our next themed event it should be a right

stomper!! is there a clue?

regards

russ

Wot next one? Grandchild or Dj Spot?? :):):thumbup:

Take care, be safe & remember, "Grandma we luv you, Grandma we do, tho you may be far away we think of you",

Spot. :thumbsup:

Dont you mean that 1. Grandma got Runover by a Reindear??

Had that on a white Demo,had to sell it coz i was on the bones of me arse!

Never see it now either :thumbup:

Thanks Ray & Russ for inviting me along to play a few tunes.

Putting a 60 minute set of "girl only" tunes together wasn't the doddle I thought it would be. It was only when I was deciding what to bring did I realise how many of my records are male vocal.

However, I thought the theme was a great idea and it worked really well.

I really enjoyed the night, and have to say that I feel really chuffed reading the nice comments on here. Thank You.

Here's what I played (including a few spins early doors) in no particular order....

Dorothy Berry "Shindig City" Planetary

Jean wells "With my Love and what you've got" Calla

Irene & the Scotts "Stuck on my Baby" Smash

The Belles "Words can't Explain" Mirwood

Pointer Sisters "Send him Back" Atlantic

Gloria Jones "Look what you Started" Minit

Belita Woods "Magic Corner" Moira

Fontella Bass "I Can't Rest" Checker

Debbie Taylor "Just don't Pay" Arista

Diane Ducane "Better late than Never" Contact

Sharon Jones "How Long will it Last" Daptone

Brenda & the Tabulations "That's in the Past" Dionn

Jean Battle "I've got to come In" Clintone

Barbara Jean English "If it feels this Good" Royal Flush (early)

Lezli Valentine "I won't do Anything" All Platinum (early)

Gloria Jones "Sorry" Beam Junction (early)

T & T "Something on my Mind" Cobra

Sunday "Ain't got no Problems" Alteen

The De Vons "Someone to treat me" King

Rhonda Davies "Can you Remember" Duke

Sheila Ferguson "And in Return" Swan

Denise Lasalle "Here I am Again"Westbound

The DeVons "Groovin with my Thing" Mr G

The Girls "The hurts still Here" Memphis

Dave I owe you one for sharing the driving with me, but next time please remember to bring your glasses, you might not have tripped on that doorstop and fell flat on your face outside the Little Chef had you been wearing them. :lol:

By the way, regarding your SAS training. Are you sure it wasn't SOS (sack of spuds) ? Cuz that's what you went down like ! :huh:

Dolly :ohmy:

Edited by dollynormal1

wow, what a fantastic opening night! its always abit nervy before the event thinking, what if know one

turns up, people not enjoying themselves etc, but them thoughts where forgotten by 9.00pm as there

was a near full house. a fantastic smart venue with a awesome inhouse system that certainly gave justice

to the music played.

very nice to see alot of locals plus a very healthy following that had travelled to witness the opening

night, and hopefully they went home happy, we thankyou.

have to agree with mick(coops) regards the fact that because of the theme ,that it gives the dj/s alittle

more to think about, but that was what we wanted to achieve and not having djs turning up with loads

of record boxes just to play say a 20/25ish 45 set in 60mins ,and it was nice that our guests turned up

early and stayed to the end, it really pisses me off that some djs will turn up late play there set then

bugger off!!

ok regards our guest djs for the opening night firstly; michelle aka catfish, i was very impressed with

her selection of tunes, even more impressed as she seemed to be a natural on the mike, clear sounding

and funny aswell, you could see the enjoyment she was getting from playing her prized processions.

secondly; dolly aka dollynormal1, i had been told that this lady had some class tunage, they were

certainly right as she delivered a varied selection of 60s 70s modern 45s, of which the latter i thank

her as i get a right earfull from my other half regards that i dont play any 70s, modern but anyone

that knows me, knows im a hardened 60s fan. so thanks for making her happy and a excellent spot

dolly was alittle nervous but she soon forgot the nerves as the floor started to respond to her

tunes.

highlights for me; firstly was when gail came up and asked me for jimmy ruffin at a "girls girls girls" theme

night! but i had to forgive her when she came out with ok then "jemina ruffin" laugh.gif played at 78rpms!!

secondly seeing ray pissed and i mean pissed he even undid his top button! but then realised what he

had done and soon did it back up again lol these youngsters cant handle there drink, i dont think

jo was very impressed, had to help him out in the end as he was slurring abit and even played the

same record twice :wicked:

thirdly having a chance to play some of my 45s that dont see the turntable only for home use very

much enjoyed my evening.

ok a playlist, here goes;

clara ward - the right direction - verve dj

shalimars - stop and take a look at yourself - verve dj (request for gail)

aretha franklin - tighten up your tie, button up your jacket - columbia wdj (request for matt)

beverly & the delcapris - mama i think i know - columbia wdj

liz verdi - think it over - columbia wdj

bonnie herman - hush dont cry - columbia wdj

patti austin - ive given all my love - coral dj

patti austin - youre too much a part of me - coral dj

gladys tyler - a little bitty girl - decca dj (request for gibba)

joey heatherton - when you call me baby - decca dj

leslie uggams - dont you even care - atlantic

master four - love from the far east - tayster

sharpets - lost in a world of a dream - sound city

jackie forrest - show me how to love - platinum dj

betty turner - the winds kept laughing - crescent dj

shawn robinson - my dear heart - minit

janice - i need you like a baby - roulette wdj

betty moorer - speed up - wand dj

margie joseph - one more chance - vault wdj

naomi wilson - do you feel what i feel - ua wdj

bonnie brisker - so much lovin - magic city

thelma lindsey - prepared to love you - magic city wdj

supremes - yourve been so wonderful to me - motown

kim weston - im still loving you - tamla

darlene love - too late to say your sorry - reprise wdj

gayle harris - aint gonna let it get me down - dcp

double decking with ray(pisshead!!)

gwen davis - my man think i know - sound stage 7

barbara lynn - im a good woman - tribe dj

helen shapiro - shop around - uk columbia

bobbettes - happy go lucky me - rca

marlena shaw - lets wade in the water - cadet

thelma houston - baby mine - capitol wdj

dottie cambrigde - cry your eyes out - mgm

lavern baker - im the one to do it - brunswick dj

esther phillips - just say goodbye - atlantic

thanks again for all your support and keep a look out for our next themed event it should be a right

stomper!! is there a clue?

regards

russ

Russ

How did you manage that?Two playlist and not one Baby Washington track :shades::lol:

Really pleased it went well for you.

Any chance of future ideas & dates so I can hopefully plan a trip down from sunny Hull.

Cheers

Martyn

www.hullsoulclub.com

Really pleased this took off for you guys,(Ray and Russ are very nice chaps).As Dolly said in her post,i bet its not as easy as you think to put a themed spot together,but you've pulled it off thumbsup.gif .

Onwards and upwards fellas,,,,KEV.

Guest BigPaul

Really pleased this took off for you guys,(Ray and Russ are very nice chaps).As Dolly said in her post,i bet its not as easy as you think to put a themed spot together,but you've pulled it off thumbsup.gif .

Onwards and upwards fellas,,,,KEV.

Just to echo my learned friends comments :wicked:

really pleased for you two guys :shades:

Top fellas deserve your success

Regards

Paul

Heard this went down very well according to my dear friend Kathleen,Ive herd her before and kno this young aspiring DJ has wot it takes! Has sum fantastic tunage that she has unearthed herself,and has the ear and the balls to get behind them with such passion and gusto. Truley an asset at any venue :yes:

Welldone nana Dolly!!!! Lookin forward to your next one!

Cogster x x

Nice one Mike I'll sort that fiver out later :thumbsup:

Edited by dollynormal1
Guest Catfish

a personal perspective.......

...The Restless Blue Cat team, may have venture forwards to put the past behind me with this one but never got the opportunity.

Restless Blue Cat? I know I've been out of it for a while so apologies.. did I miss a Magic Roundabout themed event? That Blue Cat was very naughty.. it went round turning everything blue. I can't quite remember how Dougal resolved the issue, and will consult my 'Dougal's Adventures' novel to find out.

Now, playlist:

Most of what I played is fairly well known I think but in the interests of completeness here is my playlist, which happened from 8.30-9.30.

lorraine chandler- tell me you're mine- giant

orlons- ain't comin back- cameo

judy clay- since you came along- kent 20th anniversary single

terri sharp- a love that will last- fontana

linda ball- always you- jerden

what have i got to lose-jean wells- calla

mamie lee-i can feel him slipping away-mgm

brown sugar- the game is over

marie knight- you lie so well- musicor demo

leslie uggams- love is a good foundation- sonday

yvonne baker & the sensations- i can't change- junior

barbara lewis- i remember the feeling-atlantic

i want action-ruby winters-diamond

just walk in my shoes- gladys k & the pips- tamla motown (canadian!?)

anne sexton-you've been gone too long-seventy-seven

millie jackson-house for sale-spring

maxine brown-one in a million-wand

flirtations- stronger than her love-festival

i want to- little jewel- tay-ster

vonettes- touch my heart-cobblestone

shirley ellis-soul time-cbs

sylvia robbins-don't let your eyes get bigger than your heart- sue demo

kellee patterson- i'm gonna love you just a little more, baby- shady brook

Thanks very much for the kind comments, I am so pleased that people enjoyed themselves. I really enjoyed listening to everyone else's records and hearing mine on a nice sound system :-)

Apparently the boss of the place was at the bar when I made the comment about the bad English on the door signs, and was last seen at the local library enrolling on a 'learn-direct' course. I think there is a sign-making job there for Mr Tourette from the C4 cartoon 'modern toss'-anyone who watches it would agree I am sure.

It's been a nice weekend, went to a great BBQ in Leighton Buz. on Sat and absolutely STUFFED myself, inc. two desserts, then down to Greenwich to dance it off at Boogaloo. Fab weekend!

See you soon,

Michele

xx

Edited by Catfish
Guest StefMalajny

Do to no shows at the pizza shop had to work late and unfortunatley was too cream crackered to get down for last bit, wot this old age does to you.

Some great reports on how it went and as the venue is dear to my heart I am so pleased for Ray and Russ also great to see Coops enjoying it again, its a lovely place and deserves a nice crowd

stef

Thanks to all for making Friday night "Girls, Girls, Girls" such a great success. Thanks to both Michelle and Dolly for playing a great selection of music - the Female vocal / Girl Group theme giving an added challenge to the DJ's on the night. The play lists of Dolly, Michelle and Russ show what a great selection of cracking 45's were played. Might put my play list up later - my box still all jumbled up!! Cracking spot also from resident DJ Russ. It was great also to see so many faces from the not too distant past gracing the various rooms of such a great venue. I was also pleased to see that there were a good many that had travelled (David and co from Cambridge, Toby, Rosie, Warren, Steve Jay and the Spalding posse etc.) The main room was packed by 9.30 requiring extra ventilation by 10.30 it was heaving - I then realised there were several in the 'comfy sofa' area chatting and several out having a smoke on the patio area. We were due to finish at 12.30 (with half hour drink up / chat time) but no way - we played the music on Party style with Russ and I double decking till 1am. I see that some photo's have been put up here on Soul-Source so take a look. "Absolutely Fantastic". Thanks once again, Ray Mahoney

Guest MattB

Evening All,

Where do i start? Sorry i didn't post up my feedback any sooner, been thinking about this ever since the end friday night.

WHAT A GREAT NIGHT!

When i arrived at 8.30 the place was already bustling, the lights were nice and there was already some sweet soul playing, i gave in my free ticket and was greeted by so many people who i'd not seen for ages as well as people who i'd not met or be waiting to meet. The atmosphere was lovely, very VERY welcoming and everyone seemed happy that it was friday and a night of good soul was ahead.

Once i'd got a drink and had a browse through the sales boxes i began to really take it all in, Michelle was so in control, wonderful to see a DJ who was as natural as her playing lovely records and having good banter with the crowd. She played some lovely underplayed records and balanced her set really nicely giving it a great flow.

The Russel took over kicking off with some lovely Mid Tempo stuff and even through in Aretha for me, i danced and even though it was still early i felt comfortable to do so. The venue continued to busy and people really seemed to enjoy the different sounds and wonderful female vocals. I was really happy with the volume that was maintained throughout, just loud enough to make the records sounds great but not so loud that i couldn't talk to with all the people that were so very welcoming.

I was shocked when Dolly said she was nervous because she followed Russ superbly with her take on the theme of the evening and you didnt even mind when i managed to spill my drink near you. Sorry about that!

The highlight of the night for me was seeing Ray drunk, i mean, well worth attending for that alone, but i think what i enjoyed about this was that it showed how light hearted the evening was and how we were all amongst friends and there to enjoy the music.

I absolutely cannot wait for the next one for another themed evening of great music with great people.

Pics to follow once photobucket allows me to upload them!

Matt

Guest MattB

Here's my photo's, sorry for the delay but they took ages to edit and upload!

Enjoy!

9-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

4-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

28.jpg

1-1.jpg

10-1.jpg

Sorry about the order, photobucket messed them up!

Matt

Edited by MattB

A few comments:-

Firstly - great photos Matt, this just shows how good a night we all had. Thanks

Delasoul "We got there just after 8 (as I didnt want to leave it too late with the early finish) and at that point Michele (Catfish) was waiting to start spinning some of her (not so modest/humble) tunes. My god, she's a demon on the mike! When I d.j'd locally a couple of years back I could hardly speak for nerves, but oh no,not Michele...you did a brillliant job to get the party started and warm us all up hun, ta!"

Blimey, another lady (Delasoul) who's got some records and not afraid to get on the turntables! As for Michelle - brilliant! I did my friendly "this is the master volume, don't touch that". "Press this button to que in the record" she was having none of it. "I know what I am doing" she replied grabing the Microphone and pushing me off the decks at 25mins past 8 when she wasn't due on till 8.30pm!! Great to see a lady in charge!

Mikecog "Heard this went down very well according to my dear friend Kathleen,Ive herd her before and kno this young aspiring DJ has wot it takes! Has sum fantastic tunage that she has unearthed herself,and has the ear and the balls to get behind them with such passion and gusto. Truley an asset at any venue.Welldone nana Dolly!!!! Lookin forward to your next one!"

Yep, no question Dolly did us proud. I had no hesitation of asking Dolly to take the main guest spot for the opening evening. It would have been easy to have gone for a "well known safe pair of hands" on our opening night but having heard great comments from likes of Toby and others I was was more than confident that Dolly was the "safe pair of hands". Great sounds and a fair few Dolly has been unearthing herself which is fantastic.

Coops "......... Ray and Russ had decided to lay a 'theme' on this first night of their hopefully enduring adventure, the theme was Female Artistes and Girl Groups. At first on may think that applying a theme may place restrictions on the quality of the soul provided.... Not a bit of it.

Although we got there a bit late and only caught "Dolly", Russ and Ray's sets and the quality of music was far from diluted, it was, to my ears enhanced.

Restricting the playlist as they did meant that the dee-jays had to think harder about their sets, dig deeper and actually work, and it did work, it worked for them, for me, and for those who attended from as far afield as Yorkshire to St.Ives."

Nice one Coops, good to see you there on Friday. The main point here is Coops touching on the fact that the DJ's had to work harder and dig a bit deeper. That is what I wanted. With a theme of "Girls" if you pull out from your 'play box' all the Male and Male Group 45's I am sure for most this would mean at least 2/3rds would come out. This then automatically gets you thinking about digging out from your collection some other 45's to fill the gap in the box. This inturn gets you thinking - "hmmmm havent heard this in a while" and playing "wow, this sounds great" etc...

Russoul1 ".......secondly seeing ray pissed and i mean pissed he even undid his top button! but then realised what he had done and soon did it back up again lol these youngsters cant handle there drink, i dont think

same record twice"

The cheeky bugger! Firstly the top button slipped out as it was cooking in that room (what a great atmosphere!). Slurring a bit - so would you after all the beers those kind folk had insisted on buying me!! Finally, yes I played the same records twice - well, I remember the days when DJ's were getting behind records they wanted to get everyone behind and would often duringa spot say "second time out for this one". I wont say what it was unless someone asks (interesting tro see if anyone reads this posting!!). Great spot Russ - double decking for the last half hour (our encore seeing as we had previously advertised to finish at 12.30 - no chance, we would have got linched!!) was great fun.

Sjay "Well done Guys and GIRLS!! , you couldnt have wished for a better first night for your new venture , we all had a great time."

Steve you summed the night up. Thanks to everyone. See you on October 3rd when our next night is themed "Upfront , Uptempo, Uptown". A night of (yes, you guesed it) uptempo Soul. Guest DJ's to be confirmed.

Ray Mahoney

Edited by Raym
Guest MickD

Nice one guys (and gals) and a welcome break from the decorating laugh.gif .... just rewards for a lot of hard work.... pleased to see some familiar faces down there :wicked:

Ready to spill the beans who the guests are at the october night yet?

M

Guest Catfish

post-7608-1217941190.jpg

:unsure:

I like that! Matt promised he would not post up any 'awful' pictures of me.. this one is a good example of 'hopscotch' from my 'playground games' selection of dance moves, which also includes 'marbles' & 'skipping'.

Edit= I'd like to add I was not drunk- this is what I do when (very nearly) sober-one pint of shandy only!

Edited by Catfish
Guest Andy Kempster

glad to hear it went well for you russ

its a great little venue keep up the good work and promise i'll make the next one (when is it? hope i havent spoken too soon there!)

Nice one guys (and gals) and a welcome break from the decorating laugh.gif .... just rewards for a lot of hard work.... pleased to see some familiar faces down there :lol:

Ready to spill the beans who the guests are at the october night yet?

M

Yes Mick, I've booked Warren 'Boogaloo' Wint for next one on Friday 3rd October.

If anyone missed this night then sample the atmosphere whilst looking at the photo's and beam yourself back to that great night as I have a live recording of the last hour. It captures all the music, and background sounds - talking, applause and microphone introductions - all crystal clear! If you want a copy just PM me. This will be a regular feature making these nights a night with a difference.

Thanks all see you on 3rd October!

Guest MickD

Yes Mick, I've booked Warren 'Boogaloo' Wint for next one on Friday 3rd October.

Nice one ray ... Warren always does a top job .. count me in thumbsup.gif ...

If anyone missed this night then sample the atmosphere whilst looking at the photo's and beam yourself back to that great night as I have a live recording of the last hour. It captures all the music, and background sounds - talking, applause and microphone introductions - all crystal clear! If you want a copy just PM me. This will be a regular feature making these nights a night with a difference.

Thanks all see you on 3rd October!

You won't see me Oct 3rd as I'll be doing my own thing in 'the boro' :lol: ..as for the playlists....looks like 1975 has been well represented Ray :lol:

Chuffed to bits that the new night and venue went well for you, honest :lol: