Darlene Love - Lord If You're A Woman

I just played "Lord If You're A Woman" - Darlene Love & The Wall Of Sound Orchestra on Phil Spector International (UK only release I believe) and I think it's one of the most powerful records ever made. Astonishing Phil Spector production, sledgehammer Northern beat and simply brilliant vocals by Ms Love. Sounds like it should be right up there to me.

Has this ever been aired anywhere?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny Mack

Ian

Pretty sure I've seen this listed as an occasional spin by the Burnley/Bradford crew including early doors at the Burnley allnighter.

Another goodie from Miss Love is Stumble and Fall / He's a quiet guy on Phillies.

Take care

John

I just played "Lord If You're A Woman" - Darlene Love & The Wall Of Sound Orchestra on Phil Spector International (UK only release I believe) and I think it's one of the most powerful records ever made. Astonishing Phil Spector production, sledgehammer Northern beat and simply brilliant vocals by Ms Love. Sounds like it should be right up there to me.

Social source share

Ian Levine used to rave about it / play it many years ago when he had his own website or some kind of forum.

I too thought it was UK only for years then thought I saw one on US in the States back in about 2001.

Social source share

about a tenner.

Common as muck.

LOL. It may well be but I'd sooner play this then many of the big money tunes. I've always rated it but I think would really work on the right night these days.

I've also got a single-sided promo 12" of this. Deffo playing it on the show tomorrow........

What a GREAT record!

Social source share

LOL. It may well be but I'd sooner play this then many of the big money tunes. I've always rated it but I think would really work on the right night these days.

I've also got a single-sided promo 12" of this. Deffo playing it on the show tomorrow........

What a GREAT record!

Ian D :thumbsup:

=-====

yes levine decribed this as one of the best 60s sounding record made in the 70s.....i too have a US copy ,....nice tune..

Social source share

Where's the evidence that it was made in the 70s?

I would imagine that it was a 60s cut from the vaults.

Definately mid 70's Joe.

I remember it coming out and Dave Godin reviewing it - as a new release.

I bought it on his recommendation and never really rated it at the time.

15-20 years later heard John Kinghan play it out and I (almost) changed my mind.

Sean

Social source share

Definately mid 70's Joe.

I remember it coming out and Dave Godin reviewing it - as a new release.

I bought it on his recommendation and never really rated it at the time.

15-20 years later heard John Kinghan play it out and I (almost) changed my mind.

Sean

I know it was issued in the 70s, and it was probably mastered then, but I'm still not sure about the vocals being recorded then.

I always thought it was an unissued track that they'd put out as part of a series of releases of out of the vault Spector records.

Wasn't Phil Spector the 'Back To Mono' campaigner?

Why would he issue something in Stereo if that were the case - not like he was short of a few bob in the 70s.

Social source share

I know it was issued in the 70s, and it was probably mastered then, but I'm still not sure about the vocals being recorded then.

I always thought it was an unissued track that they'd put out as part of a series of releases of out of the vault Spector records.

Wasn't Phil Spector the 'Back To Mono' campaigner?

Why would he issue something in Stereo if that were the case - not like he was short of a few bob in the 70s.

Here's one snippet from 'The Best Of Darlene Love".

Even more exciting is the inclusion of 1975's "Lord, if You're a Woman." This powerful track was recorded during Spector's ill-fated mid-'70s comeback and should have been a hit. Love sounds strong as ever, cutting loose like she never would have ten years earlier, and Spector still had magic up his sleeve. Sadly, it was not to be and Love went back to backup work and the oldies circuit. She left behind an incredible body of work, however, and the best truly is here.

Sean

Social source share

• 10 years later...
On 02/08/2008 at 13:48, Ian Dewhirst said:

US release

Darlene.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Lenny mentioned Darlene Love's "Long Way To Be Happy" earlier in this thread - always thought this sounded amazing, was only aware of it from a Phil Spector 70s comp of unreleased stuff. Which is why I assumed "Lord If You're A Woman" was also 60s, and only released mid-70s - although it quite obviously has synthesisers in it, so I should probably have listened closer! The vocals DO sound very 60s though...

Edited by cover-up
Social source share

He'll be tucked up in bed now,will Phil Spector, with reference to the 'prisoner soul' thread a while back,imagine him being inside 40 odd years ago, the mind boggles! Superb oscar winning documentary feat Darlene, Merry Clayton etc, and the dastardly Mr Spector. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!