wants

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 33
  • Views 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

How can I pursue a copy of "TRACE OF SMOKE - TREASURE MIND" BIG $$$ offered ..

How big, exactly?

thecauldron@witchsbrew.co.uk ......

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest Beaver

Well ive' heard it be going around £1000, so Id be willing to offer somewhat around that ..

more like £2000

Social source share

more like £2000

very rare record even if it is in vg condition, could be the best chance to get one of this. would like it but itll prob go high.

Social source share

Guest cC B

more like £2000

There are at least 20+ copies of this record around.

I would say £2000 is waaaay over the top. More

like £800-1000. One guy in Sweden has something

like 10 copies, which he's sitting on. Using them for

trades etc. Don't pay "crazy prices" for this one.

Cheers,

Chris B

Social source share

There are at least 20+ copies of this record around.

I would say £2000 is waaaay over the top. More

like £800-1000. One guy in Sweden has something

like 10 copies, which he's sitting on. Using them for

trades etc. Don't pay "crazy prices" for this one.

Cheers,

Chris B

I doubt thats true. i heard he had around 10 but they all got taken last year. is it a different guy? would be useful to know who it is. still a mega rare tune and easily worth at least a £1000. look at the hamilton movemnet. there are much more copies of that yet it still goes at over £1000

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

The Hamilton Movement is a vastly overpriced played out has been. It seems to me that there are literally hundreds of these out there and that's not even taking the funk boys into account. Anyone paying a grand for this record wants their bumps feeling IMO.

Christian's right about Trace of Smoke as well, there does seem to be a mad frenzy to own this one but surely can't be that rare.

John

Social source share

The Hamilton Movement is a vastly overpriced played out has been. It seems to me that there are literally hundreds of these out there and that's not even taking the funk boys into account. Anyone paying a grand for this record wants their bumps feeling IMO.

Christian's right about Trace of Smoke as well, there does seem to be a mad frenzy to own this one but surely can't be that rare.

John

true about the hamilton but how many copies of trace of smoke have anyone seen actually up for sale? those copies that where turned up have all gone into collections. tried to get one awhile back but was told that it was £1500. i just think that if a copy went for set sale itd' start at 1500. there are piles of records that aren't rare that go big, rcords that turn up every other day, thinking of fred hymes, must be 100's of them and still going at 250$

just a thought and for me trace of smoke is one of the best 80's tunes out there.just wish there where 100'd so i could get one cheap for meself :)

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Yeah i'd agree with that Stu but why pay vastly over the odds because there are people out there with more money than sense.

RE the F Hymes if you are paying 250 for it now you must have more money than sense personally i wouldn't give $25 for it ;o)) Don't get me wrong a great record but can you really be sure it's legit. Now give me that slower version anyday genuinly rare and much much better IMVFHO

John

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There were around a dozon copies of Trace Of Smoke. They were all taken a year/18 months ago. With a little home work on the internet you can just about track down all the copies (half are in funk hands, half are with the soul boys).

I have never seen one for sale apart from the one source in Scandinavia. IMHO I would be surprised if the one on ebay goes for less than $1500, even in that condition. I wouldn't sell my M- copy for less than £2500.

I wager that the people who say there are hundreds of copies around don't have copies themselfs but would like to get one cheap (£1000quid would be cheap!). Good luck lads!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

I don't think that anyone has said that there are hundreds of Trace of Smoke's around. That comment was clearly aimed at the Hamilton Movement which i'm sure you will agree seems to be quite owned by more than a few ;o)

Still think you are over valuing ToS but hey if you can get 2.5k then good luck to you ;o)

John

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

There does seem to be a 'few' Hamilton Movements about, but saying that I've been looking to get a copy back since I sold mine 6 months ago, and I've not had any luck.

I'd never sell TOS anyway, I think all the 10/12ish people who own it feel the same. Also bear in mind it's not just the soul collectors who want it. The funk boys, house music producers and hip hop DJs want it as well. Total cross genre appeal that can be played in almost any club at any time, anywhere in the world and it will fill the dance floor. What price can you put on that?

Social source share

I doubt thats true. i heard he had around 10 but they all got taken last year.

Believe me, James.... They did not all got taken

last year... There are more copies...

Cheers,

Chris B

Social source share

There does seem to be a 'few' Hamilton Movements about, but saying that I've been looking to get a copy back since I sold mine 6 months ago, and I've not had any luck.

I'd never sell TOS anyway, I think all the 10/12ish people who own it feel the same. Also bear in mind it's not just the soul collectors who want it. The funk boys, house music producers and hip hop DJs want it as well. Total cross genre appeal that can be played in almost any club at any time, anywhere in the world and it will fill the dance floor. What price can you put on that?

there's certainly not 100's of copies of the Hamilton Movement, more like 25ish. Just happens that most dropped into the laps of DJs and thats probably why the reason it's heard so much.

Social source share

ref.- the Trace of Smoke single

I e-mailed the seller and asked if he could grade the sound quality [ as he's only graded it visually] he eventually replied saying he never sound grades his records but that it will play with some noise, so I think we can assume it looks and plays totally f**ked.

regards,

Gary Kingston

Social source share

The swedish guy you mentioned, Christian, is a friend of mine and i can assure you that he has NO more copies of ToS. He had about 10, and the last one (a vg copy) went late last summer.

/Jens

Social source share

I think TOS is just 1980. Can anyone think of other good ones from the 80's?

I can think of loads of stuff from the 80's that's quality.Try these

David Nevin-The Maze-Pardner

Exportations-I Want You-Virro

Atlantic Star-Circles-A&M

Johnny Taylor-What About My Love-Beverly Glen

Bobby Womack-So Many Sides Of You-Motown

Bobby Womack-Tell Me Why-motown

J Blackfoot-Where Is The Love

Lanier and Co-I don't Know-EMI

Prince Phillip Mitchell-In Her Own Way-Ichiban

Collins And Collins-Top Of The Stairs-A&M

Randy Brown-Do You Love Me-Casablanca

Broomfield-Don't Cover Up Your Feelings-Vision

The Dells-All About The Papers-20th century fox

Beau Williams-Give Me Up-Capitol

Then There's the Chapter 8 albums,Anita Baker,Willie Collins,Stephanie Mills/Teddy P. Shirley Brown,David Sea,Willie Clayton,the list just goes on and on.

I do a good 80's cdr if anyone wants to swap!

cheers

Pete

Social source share

Nice list Pete ! Remember that great Don Thomas LP only track "How Can I Help But Love You"

Heard it at aStafford around 85 where it was popular in its own small way...

Now deserves to be an all round MONSTER!

Social source share

Rumaging through the boxes...didn't realise how many 80's tunes were sitting there!

William Bostic - What You Do To Me (83)

John Simmons - Ain't Nothing Like The Love (81)

Billy Boomer - I Like What She's Doin (82)

Cania - Visions (80)

EKG - Give Me Loe (early 80's..83ish?)

La Voyage - Never Lookin Back (82)

Larry Nevilles - This Time It's Real (83ish?)

Rivage - Strung Out On Your Love (80)

Rideout - Someone Special (80)

Straight Jacket - Greatest Prt of Loving You (80)

Wizdom - I'm So In Love....(80)

Fabulous Playmates - I Ain't Gonna Be No Fool...(85!)

Frankie Kelly - Ain't That The Truth (85)

Clarence Mann - Show Me Girl (85)

Cheers

Jason S

www.witchsbrew.co.uk

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Stand at the top of a hill.

Roll the single down the hill.

Give it a bit of a start, then chase it.

I'll just get my coat shall I ?

No wonder it's in crap condition if that's what you did with it Dave LOL ;o))

John

Social source share

Hippo

if that was you on ebay, let us know how condition turns out

After three years of looking for it (the copy I was promised went to Sam ) will there be another "bongo" record in the collection??

Posted Friday, arrived Monday in a over sized thin air mail envelope with half dozen deep creases in it! (****** & broken too?!)

Label quite clean except writing & signatures in biro

Vinyl has quite a few paper scruffs, so I was expecting 3 minutes 10 seconds of frying eggs!

There's four scratches that look they're from the need going across it & these lead to the odd faint click here and there. Apart from that, there's no real noise or hiss.

Bongo bliss.................!!!!!

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Nice one Jerry I am green with envy i would have considered breaking my embargo if i thought for one minute it would have gone for so little !!!!!!

So are you going to treat us to it on Saturday at Sarries or are you going to bottle it ;o))))))

John

Social source share

Nice one Jerry I am green with envy i would have considered breaking my embargo if i thought for one minute it would have gone for so little !!!!!!

So are you going to treat us to it on Saturday at Sarries or are you going to bottle it ;o))))))

John

Sorry, I'm not that Hippo. I'm Hippo becasue I look like one, not because my name sounds like one!

Sorry, I've never DJ'ed (2 things spinning at once and talk at the same time??!!) and so I won't be able to treat anyboy with it.

What am going to do with it?

I play the B side

play the A side

read the writer and producer credits

pop it in a new white cardboerd sleeve

put it on the shelf - 70's, etc to present day, alphabetically by label (of course)

Forget about it

Start looking for the next one on the 'wants' list

How sad it that?!!!!!

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Crikey I have just recovered from the Marco, Marco and Marco debate now this!!

I thought you were Jerry Hipkiss too.

Now I have to take back all the bad thoughts I was shooting towards him, when he didn't play the Temptations on his breakfast show, for me, when I was back in Glostershire.

Social source share

And I've just worked out why someone was congratulating me on my intelligent posting on here - when it wasn't me at all.

It's too much for a real Hippo to take....

Jerry Hipkiss

AKA Hippo (the DJ'ing one)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!