Annabellas Bradford

Mach

anybody on here remember bradfords "annabellas" thursday soul night sessions,they were packed and i know many that learnt their trade there back in the 70s,it was on the top floor above the ice ring and went on for a good few years and i for one spent many a good hour there,..

Social source share

• Replies 38
  • Views 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Davidt

Yes, remember Annabellas well, along with Tiffanys in Halifax on the Monday and Buffs Keighley on the Friday and then a Allnighter on the Saturday they were pretty busy weeks.

Social source share

Yes, remember Annabellas well, along with Tiffanys in Halifax on the Monday and Buffs Keighley on the Friday and then a Allnighter on the Saturday they were pretty busy weeks.

owt doing in sydney dave,tis a fair trek from tiffs in halifax mate..?.. :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Davidt

yeah chris we have a soul do once a month and we have a weekender in september 4,5&6. Andy simpson from bradford pops over a couple of times a year and usually manages to get himself in some sort of trouble after a few largers. Not a huge scene in Sydney but pretty enthusiastic and friendly.

Social source share

anybody on here remember bradfords "annabellas" thursday soul night sessions,they were packed and i know many that learnt their trade there back in the 70s,it was on the top floor above the ice ring and went on for a good few years and i for one spent many a good hour there,..

I remember the place my mates talking about it, but don`t know if i actually went, it was near the queens all wasn`t it? :lol:

Social source share

yep,harry.about 100yds opposite..it was on the top floor above the icering a very intimate venue,no elevator,just had to scale about 5 floors to reach it,but boy was it worth it ,no soul night i,ve ever been to as come close...queens hall allniters,well thats another venue that holds fond memories...(picked a john bowie up for a tenner..mint there.. :lol: ) aiso..happy days .. biggrin.gif

Social source share

yep,harry.about 100yds opposite..it was on the top floor above the icering a very intimate venue,no elevator,just had to scale about 5 floors to reach it,but boy was it worth it ,no soul night i,ve ever been to as come close...queens hall allniters,well thats another venue that holds fond memories...(picked a john bowie up for a tenner..mint there.. :yes: ) aiso..happy days .. :P

With you on that one chris brilliant nighter queens hall, as i say i don`t recall going to the other one but remember parking opposite the ice rink and going to the queens hall, great days indeed my friend :D

Social source share

annabellas was on in the 60s too used to go there as the heartbeat!!! good night had by all

sue bushby

hi ya sue how yah doin.. :unsure: ..i was,nt old enough to drink in the 60s.and never knew it was then called the heartbeat,thanks gud bit of info there sue..see yah around,chris.. :D

Social source share

Guest mooma

hehe!! I wasnt old enuff to drink in the 60s!!! but didnt drink anyway!! still dont was a good night for the dancing!!!

Where ya based in Bradford??

sue

Social source share

hehe!! I wasnt old enuff to drink in the 60s!!! but didnt drink anyway!! still dont was a good night for the dancing!!!

sue

birkenshaw now,from halifax,remember you from mick brittons farsley,i used to do abit on the decks with tony banks and dj,d at the midland hotel,bfd..a few of us went back to your house,me and les and was it mary? from fagley..too drunk to remember, :lol: we got spinning the sounds into the early hours,dont know who was driving..but a gud nite was had by all.was .bout 5yr back... :rolleyes: .... :lol:

Social source share

sue

please tell me if i,m completely wrong..it was all in my imagination,and i dreamt the whole thing up. :lol: .i,v had nites like that before..but i,m quite sure...it did happen,and i remember your one wicked dancer.. :rolleyes:

Social source share

used to go to annabellas every thursday with moot of bradfird crew fantastic nights fiddle bandits with thurstun and toddy then go to bar with god knows who many ten ps then up to curry house kemma curry eighty pence in them days good nights also at halifax tiffs on mondays with graham slater god how old is graham now ha ha yours lawrence grimshaw

Social source share

Guest mooma

I remember ya Chris nice to know that ur still about !!! YES!! I remember the night you all came back to mine!!! It was PILKY who was driving (sadly died not long after that night )

keep the soulin

sue

Lawrence

me and ur big bro steve used to go to annabellas wen it was the heartbeat!!!

sue

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
used to go to annabellas every thursday with moot of bradfird crew fantastic nights fiddle bandits with thurstun and toddy then go to bar with god knows who many ten ps then up to curry house kemma curry eighty pence in them days good nights also at halifax tiffs on mondays with graham slater god how old is graham now ha ha yours lawrence grimshaw
Social source share

just read this, yer annabellas john khan dj ing i think. thats were a certain someone nicked my little richie, i remember you lawance,steve holdsworth jerry stamper n garry.

Social source share

whatever happened to thurston,aint seen him about for years,keep seeing toddy,errol,silver and a few others about and my old school chum larry doing the harold club....we used to go in the luna curry house afterwards,others went to one up by the "zodiac"club remember that? thats been demolished for over 20yrs...they started to have soul nights there aswell at one stage,back to annabellas remember the bandit fiddlers with the coins on cotton,emptying all the bandits of there cash...another memory was the strobe lite which used to get switched on after the dance floor was thrown into pitch blackness and watching people stomp..in like slow motion,with their illuminated white socks and tee shirts....and what a brill sound system with speakers above the dance floor, with the low ceiling ...its all coming back to me now!.... :unsure:

Social source share

• 1 month later...

used to go there and I also remember Toddy, Thurston, Eddie Kus, Frank and the usual gang, Saturday would be spent working in Rawson Market to get some money for the trip to Wigan. I've not seen any them for years, I ran off to the RAF for 20 years and now live in Stamford. I did however find Kev Kellet he lives near by so I dragged him up to the Wilton a few months back were I met up with my my old mate from the RAF Mick Howard.

Tony Holdsworth (Biggles)

Social source share

• 3 months later...

used to go there and I also remember Toddy, Thurston, Eddie Kus, Frank and the usual gang, Saturday would be spent working in Rawson Market to get some money for the trip to Wigan. I've not seen any them for years, I ran off to the RAF for 20 years and now live in Stamford. I did however find Kev Kellet he lives near by so I dragged him up to the Wilton a few months back were I met up with my my old mate from the RAF Mick Howard.

Tony Holdsworth (Biggles)

omg iam named again Hi Tony,Chris,Sue,Lawrence....Lawrence me and you at springfield, Sue remember been round yours for a piss up after Scamps,Tony was like a brother to me,,,the spidersweb remember that Tony annabellas what nights they were,Thurston,Eddie,Ricky,Toddy,Frank,Errol,Adrian,Antony,Mivvy,Mary,Tamara,Mark

,Pete Dawson,Gary(Toddy),Francis and Dave G,just to name a few a kemma in the la luna and Tony the bouncer...Kev Kellett

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Its lovely to see that people have such fond memories. I guess I wasnt a hard core NS gal but certainly spent many nights at Wigan and hanging around with some keen NS peeps. Kev K....unsure if you recall me but you and your girlfriend of that time and I used to avoid the coach and go together (just us 3) to Wigan on the train many a sat night. I knew Thurston , Errol, Eddie Kus, Johnny, Maggie Fisher, Ricky Shevriouk (sure spelt wrong!). I went out with George Nicholson for some time too (didnt everybody... soz George, you were lovely to me anyway).I also knew Vinny Enyori well (not into NS but knew everyone) oh Frank Hammond plus loads more but I cant remember their names. Oh and Lal , not a NS er but nevertheless around.

Any way that's that.

Liz Killeen ex St Josephs College Lass and Fruit Market worker (well I did need my £ 3.50 train fair).

x

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mooma

Hi,

Its lovely to see that people have such fond memories. I guess I wasnt a hard core NS gal but certainly spent many nights at Wigan and hanging around with some keen NS peeps. Kev K....unsure if you recall me but you and your girlfriend of that time and I used to avoid the coach and go together (just us 3) to Wigan on the train many a sat night. I knew Thurston , Errol, Eddie Kus, Johnny, Maggie Fisher, Ricky Shevriouk (sure spelt wrong!). I went out with George Nicholson for some time too (didnt everybody... soz George, you were lovely to me anyway).I also knew Vinny Enyori well (not into NS but knew everyone) oh Frank Hammond plus loads more but I cant remember their names. Oh and Lal , not a NS er but nevertheless around.

Any way that's that.

Liz Killeen ex St Josephs College Lass and Fruit Market worker (well I did need my £ 3.50 train fair).

x

Social source share

Guest mooma

Hi,

Any way that's that.

x

Social source share

Guest mooma

didnt half of Bradford go out with the 3 Nicholson Brothers???? lol Ricky Shevruk died a few years ago sadly missed!

sue

Social source share

didnt half of Bradford go out with the 3 Nicholson Brothers???? lol Ricky Shevruk died a few years ago sadly missed!

sue

Oh that made me giggle Sue. Yep as I said everyone went out with George (and yes his brothers) BUT we got on really well and I was daft then (still am a bit). As for Ricky, that's sad news but unsuprising I guess. I once had to hide Ricky in my house wardrobe when my dad came home and he was recoverin' from a nighter we'd all been to. It was funny as Ricky was so tall. He was passionate anyone about his NS from memory. Ye[, sad news.

Liz

Social source share

omg iam named again Hi Tony,Chris,Sue,Lawrence....Lawrence me and you at springfield, Sue remember been round yours for a piss up after Scamps,Tony was like a brother to me,,,the spidersweb remember that Tony annabellas what nights they were,Thurston,Eddie,Ricky,Toddy,Frank,Errol,Adrian,Antony,Mivvy,Mary,Tamara,Mark

,Pete Dawson,Gary(Toddy),Francis and Dave G,just to name a few a kemma in the la luna and Tony the bouncer...Kev Kellett

hi kev long time no see. hows tricks, if you are ever up this neck of the woods , i run a soul night at the harold club low moor. last sat every month ,be my guest any time loads of our old mates go. hope to see you soon.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest little_pat

I remember ya Chris nice to know that ur still about !!! YES!! I remember the night you all came back to mine!!! It was PILKY who was driving (sadly died not long after that night )

keep the soulin

sue

Lawrence

me and ur big bro steve used to go to annabellas wen it was the heartbeat!!!

sue

hi sue bit belated but is this same pilky that used to live at my flat in rochdale ,were everyone came back from a nighter and stopped at my place pilky was going with little kath and i was with (lol)geuss wot forgot her name lol aahh debbie woods that was it lol

pilky was a great laugh

little pat

Social source share

Guest little_pat

pat

pilky was from st helens well known by loads sadly missed

sue

hi sue i thought it was not sure if its pilky thinkin bout it big fella from bradford ime sure you remember him last i heard he was workin in a car showroom...daqmm memory of mine supose dementure huh lol

i also wrote a toon in favourites and even got that wron my favourite being darrel banks and i atributed hooked by love to him doh what a dope huh should have said homer lol any way nice to chat sue

pat

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
Guest christan

annabellas was on in the 60s too used to go there as the heartbeat!!! good night had by all

sue bushby

Hi Sue how you doing Chris wormald here- new to this site I remember a few good places round bradford area started my trade(soul boy!!!) in the hole in the wall in bradford a shite hole but great times had :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest mooma

[am doing fine chris nice to hear from you after all this time what ya up to these days? married ? Kids? still soulin? nowt changes does it

keep in touch

sue

quote name='christan' date='Apr 27 09, 11:28 AM' post='1058828']

Hi Sue how you doing Chris wormald here- new to this site I remember a few good places round bradford area started my trade(soul boy!!!) in the hole in the wall in bradford a shite hole but great times had :g:

Social source share

[am doing fine chris nice to hear from you after all this time what ya up to these days? married ? Kids? still soulin? nowt changes does it

keep in touch

sue

quote name='christan' date='Apr 27 09, 11:28 AM' post='1058828']

Hi Sue how you doing Chris wormald here- new to this site I remember a few good places round bradford area started my trade(soul boy!!!) in the hole in the wall in bradford a shite hole but great times had :D

catch up with chris sue.

always at the harold.

our steve is on june 27th june

Social source share

• 7 years later...

As this thread deals with the west Yorks soul scene in the 70's, thought this might be of interest to some.

It's an old BBC piece on a Leeds group that recorded as the Outer Limits. They did progressive stuff (inspired by the likes of Jimi Hendrix) but before that, they had been gigging doing beat group stuff under different names (covers of R&B, soul material being the thing back then). ANYWAY, about 5 minutes into the piece, the commentator (who became Labour MP for Grimsby) visits (what looks like ) a local indoor market to question some local kids about the type of music they like. He stumbles on a load of soul / reggae fans, some of whom locals from that area might recognise . . .  

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Heartbeat early 70s - Loved it. Then the Mecca on a Monday Night

Me (Paul), Diane Robinson (my wife) and Ray Broadbent

We're all still on the Soul Scene today - The Wheel, Stoke, Whitby and Blackpool to name but a few of many.

As the saying goes ' It will never be over for us'

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!