Sad State Of Affairs

Barry

• Replies 26
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

There has always been an underground black music scene with youngsters, stretching back to whenever.

Not so now it seems.

in chicago there is a pretty big underground "juke" music / dance scene on the south and west sides. mainly high school kids involved with it. the music is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIKsjxuzWg

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boMLvbCqlWk&feature=user

Social source share

in chicago there is a pretty big underground "juke" music / dance scene on the south and west sides. mainly high school kids involved with it. the music is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIKsjxuzWg

and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boMLvbCqlWk&feature=user

this is what the dancing looks like (I just picked random videos on youtube):

and this

Social source share

Guest Hunnymon

and this

Back n my youth I remember having a coversation with my mates about what the music of the future would be like.

We were thinking how our parents didn't relate to the type of music that we enjoyed.

We concluded that it would be some kind of wierd noises that we couldn't relate to either!

Looks like we were right!!

Social source share

Guest northernsoulboy6

and this

The dancing is ok and i am sure the music has its merits but apart from being expressive its not my cup off tea. If we are comparing that with the soul scene then soul wins hands down.

My son who is 16 went through every genre of music until he found one i didn't like . Its an underground movement when its created by youth and authority and parents don't get it.

Social source share

There has always been an underground black music scene with youngsters, stretching back to whenever.

Not so now it seems.

Maybe there still is.... Maybe you aint underground anymore and don't see it.... Underground does mean you have to go and find it and not have everything on google search..... :D

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe there still is.... Maybe you aint underground anymore and don't see it.... Underground does mean you have to go and find it and not have everything on google search..... :D

Stevie, I'll let that one pass as you clearly, due to your age or [possibly] your cluelessness, have no idea who you are talking to. ( :D Bigger WINK than yours)

Social source share

maybe not with soul but early ska and rocksteady is still very big with the kids....a seller in bristol sells out of his reissues almost as soon as they are in...

I have no doubt that he does, but in the towns (Outside The City), the black music scene (other than pop R&cool.gif appears to have no bed anymore.

Social source share

Hip Hop is Massive with the kids round these parts, and with the samples used in these records, more and more kids are hunting out the original cuts...you'd be surprised

Social source share

Hip Hop is Massive with the kids round these parts, and with the samples used in these records, more and more kids are hunting out the original cuts...you'd be surprised

Dont the Mint Lounge have Hip Hop nights on?.

Jayne.x

Social source share

Dont the Mint Lounge have Hip Hop nights on?.

Jayne.x

Yep...my mate runs Nish Nash Nosh which plays all sorts, hip hop/rare groove/funk etc...Manchester music scene is always a bit of a mish-mash hehe :lol:

Social source share

Yep...my mate runs Nish Nash Nosh which plays all sorts, hip hop/rare groove/funk etc...Manchester music scene is always a bit of a mish-mash hehe :thumbsup:

And I believe there is a regular night on in Chorlton somewhere too... (I must pay attention more!) :thumbsup:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

I see that I have not been clear enough with my post for some.

Hip Hop and D&B and the ilk, I think, drew a different social devotee.

In my time, Northern/soul/jazz/funk, all borne of each other, had a following, not so now.

The feeling behind the music, our music, drew a certain person, for definate reasons.

Likening Hip Hop and D&B to the form of music I believe we love, is like saying that Crass was similar to The Jam, or Jean-Michel Jarre were similar to The Stranglers.

Am I to believe that I had to state the above, did you really need my assistance with the question - or were you just being nit-pickers?

Social source share

I'm aware of that having spent 20 years behind a record shop counter dealing with, amongst others, hip hop kids.

I believe that anyone attracted to hip hop and it's culture will never attain the level of understanding of it's obvious roots, simply by feeling the need to further their knowledge of hip hop by seeking out the samples that their fave artist utilised.

It's a feather in the cap thing for when they speak to other hip hop kids (and why not? I'm not having a go at it), but they aren't going to dig out a Michael Wycoff album cos 'Looking Up To You was sampled on a track they know and sit in with it.

I must say that lads that were into hip hop in the early 90's especially, before it became a bling thing, had a tremendous amount of passion for their music and I am in no way deriding the music or their love of it.

Social source share

Not so now it seems.

not nit picking at all barry

drum and bass,hip hop,reggae...all black music,all liked by youngsters and all underground and watered down whenever entering the charts.....as with northern

but other than that not comparing it to the northern scene today or years ago but answering your original post still

Social source share

I must say that lads that were into hip hop in the early 90's especially, before it became a bling thing, had a tremendous amount of passion for their music and I am in no way deriding the music or their love of it.

They still do...nothing has changed, the 'Bling Bling' thing as you have stated is only applicable to the masses that jumped on P-Diddys wagon...its a big business Hip Hop...and the commercial side of it is very profitable but the people who buy 50 Cent albums are NOT the Hip Hop crowd...they are just the HMV masses...The Underground scene is still alive and well, UK Hip Hop is the biggest it has ever been with the likes of Ty, Roots Manuva, Rodney P and all the West London lot and even Manchester acts such as Broken English are all pushing Boundaries...it's not a case of there is nothing...but where to look...

As for your comment about Hip Hop enthusiasts just searching out old records for props with their peers this is unfounded, I have lots of friends who are Hip Hop DJs...but they also have immense soul/funk collections and truelly appreciate the history of what their genre was born out of...

Social source share

In my time, Northern/soul/jazz/funk, all borne of each other, had a following, not so now.

Try a night at King George's Hall, B.burn or Richard's Hilton weekenders..... or others that I'm too tired to think of..

Barry, Have you been to seductive Soul recently?...

Jayne.x

Social source share

I'm glad there are still various underground music and style scenes, it sets the kids up to have some edge in life.

Thats the good part, but.

Watching most of these young pretenders, I observe that after 2 minutes of scuffling around they are fooked, actually just like me now but not like me when I was 16, so they need to get fitter.

Some talc on the floor might help them.

None of the music is really as fast as stuff like 'Im coming to your rescue' 'Ton of Dynamite' 'The champion' 'Tune up' 'How can I forget You' 'Manifesto' etc etc.

Id love to see these 'young uns' dance through that lot at full pelt and see if they can find time for an encore at the end of it.

Ed

Social source share

Guest Biggie G

Sod the Youth, life is wasted on the youth give me Chicago Steppers anytime, the nearest thing to the northern scene anywere in the world imho.

Cheers

Gareth

Social source share

Sod the Youth, life is wasted on the youth give me Chicago Steppers anytime, the nearest thing to the northern scene anywere in the world imho.

Cheers

Gareth

:thumbsup: Very nice.

And unlike the guy in this threads first clip they could dance for more than 30 seconds.

What was with the matching shirts though, they made it seem a rather contrived "dance class" sort of thing.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

We seem to get lots of RAP ect ect and loads of sugary diet pop/soul they call R&B.....DON'T ANY BLACK AMERICANS want to be singing some good old uptempo stuff (no not 60's style) just some stuff with a bit of GO in it.Every time we see any singers on the t.v they all look manufactured......and whilst a lot of em do have great voices......they sing as i've said DIET CRAP...TEZZA

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

and this

Thats not dancing,just a load of rubbish......who wants to dance in some gym or on the street watched by a load of onlookers.Typical america.....everything about how good you look,how cool you are.......remember more is less,less is more

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!