• Replies 30
  • Views 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Hi,

Can someone tell me if this is an original or bootleg copy please....

Thanks,

Jules

Don't think this has been booted. Music bag is the 1st label release for this, was also released on Innovation II. Music Bag copies are made with poor quality vinyl, every copy I've had looks all bubbly...although they have all played fine. But Innovation demos are made with beautiful high grade vinyl, issues seem to be styrene.

Adam.

Social source share

Guest Leonardo

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info....

I was suggested to me that copies with 'INTERNATIONAL' in red lettering were bootlegs and 'INTERNATIONAL' in blue lettering were originals??

Jules

Don't think this has been booted. Music bag is the 1st label release for this, was also released on Innovation II. Music Bag copies are made with poor quality vinyl, every copy I've had looks all bubbly...although they have all played fine. But Innovation demos are made with beautiful high grade vinyl, issues seem to be styrene.

Adam.

Social source share

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the info....

I was suggested to me that copies with 'INTERNATIONAL' in red lettering were bootlegs and 'INTERNATIONAL' in blue lettering were originals??

Jules

I think that's wrong and that you have an original

Social source share

The Lost Family, went on to become Saborian & The Los there's a great instrumental version of "Blow My Mind" on their LP "Something happened to Susie"

I have copies of LP in stock @ £25

They didn't really go on to become "saborian and the los" so much as Stormy just put out the LP under that name. The lost family is just the CODs but with Stormy replacing Larry Brownlee who was in the lost generation at the time.

Social source share

Guest Adrian

They didn't really go on to become "saborian and the los" so much as Stormy just put out the LP under that name. The lost family is just the CODs but with Stormy replacing Larry Brownlee who was in the lost generation at the time.

nice one, I love learning all these connections....

Social source share

That's funny, so did I :thumbsup:

I would have bought it in 74..............but was yet to be born so sadly had to wait a few years before owning a copy :ohmy::g:laugh.gif

Social source share

Boba, I've got a tune by the COD's on Magic Touch - Gimme your love. I can't find any info about it but it's a nice dancer from '76. Is it the same COD's?

Jordi

Social source share

Boba, I've got a tune by the COD's on Magic Touch - Gimme your love. I can't find any info about it but it's a nice dancer from '76. Is it the same COD's?

Jordi

Yes, I'm not 100% sure as two of the 3 are dead and the remaining guy is sort of lost and hard two find, but I'm pretty sure that the CODs on Magic Touch are just the two members Carl Washington and Robert Lewis that were in the Lost Family (stormy is not on that). If you listen to the record it also sounds just like 2 guys singing.

Social source share

Yes, I'm not 100% sure as two of the 3 are dead and the remaining guy is sort of lost and hard two find, but I'm pretty sure that the CODs on Magic Touch are just the two members Carl Washington and Robert Lewis that were in the Lost Family (stormy is not on that). If you listen to the record it also sounds just like 2 guys singing.

Don't think this is right Bob. Tommy Brown was lead singer on the Magic Touch 45. :thumbsup:

You know I couldn't stand lurking around anymore when the MT label got a mention......Steve

Social source share

Don't think this is right Bob. Tommy Brown was lead singer on the Magic Touch 45. :thumbsup:

You know I couldn't stand lurking around anymore when the MT label got a mention......Steve

Thanks, what are you getting this info from? I have the magic touch 45 and don't remember it saying Tommy Brown. Does it say it on the label or do you have some other source? Which Tommy Brown, the Liz Lands husband Tommy Brown or someone else? I can't hear more than two voices on it and there might even be just 1 voice.

Social source share

Thanks, what are you getting this info from? I have the magic touch 45 and don't remember it saying Tommy Brown. Does it say it on the label or do you have some other source? Which Tommy Brown, the Liz Lands husband Tommy Brown or someone else? I can't hear more than two voices on it and there might even be just 1 voice.

OK, I posted audio of both the CODs 45 and Tommy Brown on Copherbox II. The CODs 45 credits T. Brown in writing. Both sound similar but it's not like I can tell one way or the other. The CODs record does sound like only one singer with an overdub at spots, not two guys. The Copherbox II guy is definitely Liz Lands husband Tommy Brown, the "I ain't lying" comedian, according to the producer Willie Woods. Steve, can you tell me your source for saying it's a Tommy Brown singing on the CODs 45? If so, is it the same Tommy Brown? Do you know the story about how he ended up recording as the CODs? Did the CODs become the band or something?

Social source share

Jordi

I like the other side, Funky Disco too. Maybe it does much for me!

Social source share

That would be Stormy of Devastator on Twinight fame John Coll(e)y's the common factor here methinks (or it could be just another Chicago story}

I bought by copy in '75 sold it, and bought another in 2007 :thumbup:

Social source share

My copy says "Featuring Tommy Brown" on it - as for "which" Tommy Brown, I can't help with that I'm afraid.

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

That would be Stormy of Devastator on Twinight fame John Coll(e)y's the common factor here methinks (or it could be just another Chicago story}

I bought by copy in '75 sold it, and bought another in 2007 :lol:

It is the twinight Stormy, he talks about everything in the interview on my webpage. He also wrote 'psychedelic soul' for saxie russell, wrote the gregory washington 45 on brainstorm, and produced el anthony on star-vue.

Social source share

stormy replaced larry brownlee in 1974. i think larry passed away shorly after

dave

Actually the CODs had broken up a while back and larry was in the lost generation in 1970, so stormy did not just replace him in the CODs. They formed a new group in 1974. Larry did not pass away shortly after. Larry was in mystique after the lost generation and was killed in 1978 I think.

Social source share

My copy says "Featuring Tommy Brown" on it - as for "which" Tommy Brown, I can't help with that I'm afraid.

I've never seen that label version. Mine is a yellow magic touch label. Is the actual track identical -- like is it the same take as the other versions? Do you have a scan of it? Is it the same # as the regular CODs release -- magic touch was weird and sometimes rereleased things, for example, Harvey Scales "groove on sexy lady" was released twice, a shorter version and a longer version, one on the 7000# series and one on the 8000# series.

Social source share

I've never seen that label version. Mine is a yellow magic touch label. Is the actual track identical -- like is it the same take as the other versions? Do you have a scan of it? Is it the same # as the regular CODs release -- magic touch was weird and sometimes rereleased things, for example, Harvey Scales "groove on sexy lady" was released twice, a shorter version and a longer version, one on the 7000# series and one on the 8000# series.

I know did you read my Magic Touch article in Shades of Soul - it's a fascinating label all right. COD's - It's an identical track - no short versions or anything.

Social source share

I know did you read my Magic Touch article in Shades of Soul - it's a fascinating label all right. COD's - It's an identical track - no short versions or anything.

I do have that shades of soul. I'm pretty sure I have some more #s on the label you didn't have listed in that article. Another weird one is that I have one of the #s as the same track but crediting two different bands, one of them credits the suspicions and I forget the second band name. I also have at least one pic sleeve on the label by lenny lacour.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!