Frank Wilson - Do I Love You - Uk Tamla Motown Demo

Pete S

• Replies 35
  • Views 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just listening to this actual record, something struck me straight away - it sounds nothing like it should do - the strings are way back in the mix. I mean, to the point it made me stop and listen as to what was different about it. I don't think this was the case with the Eddie Foster bootleg or any subsequent cd reissues. Very strange.

Social source share

Guest Beeks

Don't be, it's not rare! Might make £75 though if the right ebay customer comes along.

Haha Sorry Pete...didnt see the Tamla Motown Demo bit...thought you had one of the few there!! wink.gif

Still never heard of this particular copy...interesting...and great if you still want an originalish copy to play :huh:

Social source share

Guest welshruss

i,ve got one and agree with what you say about the strings.Bloody ell its about 15 yrs since i,ve played this,didnt notice it then.

Would like to see you make the ton on it. :huh:

Social source share

Just listening to this actual record, something struck me straight away - it sounds nothing like it should do - the strings are way back in the mix. I mean, to the point it made me stop and listen as to what was different about it. I don't think this was the case with the Eddie Foster bootleg or any subsequent cd reissues. Very strange.

wonder if the tampered with it to give it a more contemprary feel.

Turn the treble up Pete. :sweatingbullets:

Social source share

I don't think the tape that came across for the UK press was a copy of the original multi-track tape. I know it was in stereo, but maybe just the two channels and so when that got mixed for the UK mono release the strings got a bit buried?

Social source share

im sure f.wilson was re-issued a year or so ago in the uk on legit copys with c.clarks version on the other side i havent got one to compare it with the original tmg-1170 uk issue so do these copys sound the same???, :sweatingbullets:ph34r.gif:thumbup:

Sorry I haven't got one either but if anyone wants to hear this version with the strings way back, I'll be happy to record it

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Think i had that take on a cd anyway never mind the alt-takes it makes me wonder how many more songs or alternative versions will get of Frank Wilson music before you know a cd's worth wouldn't that be a cd cracker

Social source share

Would imagine there are a few alt takes as most recordings got back then and still do !

My demo & sleeve are framed up with an autographed pic :lol: y !!

So what about all these rumours of 2 stock copies about to be revealed to the world :lol::lol:

Ian.

Probably just that, rumours. Wasn't it Ron Murphy who got one of the few from someone who worked at the pressing plant??? Never got past the demo stage and supposedly just 6 pressed which were again supposedly destroyed?

Social source share

Probably just that, rumours. Wasn't it Ron Murphy who got one of the few from someone who worked at the pressing plant??? Never got past the demo stage and supposedly just 6 pressed which were again supposedly destroyed?

Yes Ron Murphy had a copy which he showed to me at this place in Detroit around 89-90 - he wouldn't sell it then, but maybe a year later did as part of a pile of stuff and that's the copy that Kenny Burrell has got.

Social source share

Yes Ron Murphy had a copy which he showed to me at this place in Detroit around 89-90 - he wouldn't sell it then, but maybe a year later did as part of a pile of stuff and that's the copy that Kenny Burrell has got.

I'm pretty sure that Kenny's copy was Les McCutcheon's/Johnathan Woodliffe's original copy which was the first one wasn't it?

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

I'm pretty sure that Kenny's copy was Les McCutcheon's/Johnathan Woodliffe's original copy which was the first one wasn't it?

Ian D :lol:

Quite right , young Foggy : the one in KB's collection is the one JW had ......

Malc Burton

Social source share

thought so, went via Martin Koppell and Tim B to Kenny didn't it.

Social source share

Ist cop went Tom DePerio- Soussan - Les Mc- Jonathan - Kev - Tim Brown

2nd copy - Ron Murphy - sold to Martin Koppell/Tim Brown.

Tim then had hands on 2 copies, and I was told he kept the one he had from Kev and sold on the Ron Murphy copy to Kenny - but thinking about it I don't know....so sorry if I got that wrong.

(Les Mc says he photo copied the label on the one he had and the photo copier slightly warped it)

Social source share

Tim then had hands on 2 copies, and I was told he kept the one he had from Kev and sold on the Ron Murphy copy to Kenny - but thinking about it I don't know....so sorry if I got that wrong.

(Les Mc says he photo copied the label on the one he had and the photo copier slightly warped it)

Doesn't Kenny have the warped egde one ?

Social source share

Doesn't Kenny have the warped egde one ?

Don't think you have got it wrong Neil. Pretty sure Tims got the 1st copy, warps an all :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!