Too Many Events; A New Slant On An Old Topic

Having seen a thread stating that a `NEW venue` for a local area is due to `So many people asking for a new venue for the local area` are the `promoters` actually providing a much needed public service or actually just jumping on the band wagon of `any one with any sort of record collection wanting to be a DJ/promoter?!`

My opinion in that, as the NEW VENUE is to be 6.3 miles from us, 1.6 miles from Bentinck, 4.3 from Annesley, 4.9 from The Attic, 21.1 from Barrow Hill, 15.4 from Calow if the attendees at these events want something different, then what is that `different` which warrants yet another soul event which undoubtedly will (Yet again) clash with an established night. By the way the events listed are only, obviously, a few of the great many on any Friday/ Saturday in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire vicinity.

How many alternatives can be offered I wonder; Northern, Motown, rare, modern, across the board, disco, pop, Ska etc. etc

Good luck to the promoters on whatever night they chose (Because it appears this is yet to be decided upon! Was originally down for the 25th Oct. but this is now awaited due to clashes with other local nights?? :P ) but really whats the point?

Sharon

Social source share

• Replies 71
  • Views 4.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Having seen a thread stating that a `NEW venue` for a local area is due to `So many people asking for a new venue for the local area` are the `promoters` actually providing a much needed public service or actually just jumping on the band wagon of `any one with any sort of record collection wanting to be a DJ/promoter?!`

My opinion in that, as the NEW VENUE is to be 6.3 miles from us, 1.6 miles from Bentinck, 4.3 from Annesley, 4.9 from The Attic, 21.1 from Barrow Hill, 15.4 from Calow if the attendees at these events want something different, then what is that `different` which warrants yet another soul event which undoubtedly will (Yet again) clash with an established night. By the way the events listed are only, obviously, a few of the great many on any Friday/ Saturday in the East Midlands/South Yorkshire vicinity.

How many alternatives can be offered I wonder; Northern, Motown, rare, modern, across the board, disco, pop, Ska etc. etc

Good luck to the promoters on whatever night they chose (Because it appears this is yet to be decided upon! Was originally down for the 25th Oct. but this is now awaited due to clashes with other local nights?? :lol: ) but really whats the point?

Sharon

hey up Sharon.Whoever starts a new nite is ok,so long as they don't clash. Saying that,we've had clashes in MANSFIELD ,same nite,similar music policy,with no-one asking us if it was ok. :(

Needless to say(one for Barry there :lol: ),those nites have fell by the wayside,don't know why,not for me to judge.

May be 4.9 miles from us(sutton?),but probably be a million miles away in approach and music policy.

Don't worry too much,there's nowt we can do about it.

btw.....ATTIC,MANSFIELD,,,,1ST SATURDAY OF THE MONTH :lol::thumbup:

Social source share

hey up Sharon.Whoever starts a new nite is ok,so long as they don't clash. Saying that,we've had clashes in MANSFIELD ,same nite,similar music policy,with no-one asking us if it was ok. :thumbup:

Needless to say(one for Barry there :P ),those nites have fell by the wayside,don't know why,not for me to judge.

May be 4.9 miles from us(sutton?),but probably be a million miles away in approach and music policy.

Don't worry too much,there's nowt we can do about it.

btw.....ATTIC,MANSFIELD,,,,1ST SATURDAY OF THE MONTH :P:lol:

Good luck Sharon.

I dont think it's the case anymore that if new venues dont clash it's ok. People just dont have the money to be going out as many times in a month as they did a few years ago. If you're in the same area, chances are, you're going for the same crowd and one of you will suffer. I'm sick of hearing " but we're offering something different", when it's clearly not that different. There just aren't enough soul fans into any of these sub genre's to make so many venue's work.

Jayne.x.

Social source share

Guest Carrie Mehome

My problem is that everything is so far away but I'm prepared to drive miles for a decent night out plus a few Herts dos aren't too far from my boyfriend's. Would be lovely to have a do just down the road! :lol:

Social source share

Good luck Sharon.

I dont think it's the case anymore that if new venues dont clash it's ok. People just dont have the money to be going out as many times in a month as they did a few years ago. If you're in the same area, chances are, you're going for the same crowd and one of you will suffer. I'm sick of hearing " but we're offering something different", when it's clearly not that different. There just aren't enough soul fans into any of these sub genre's to make so many venue's work.

Jayne.x.

Saturation, across the whole damn nation,

Causing aggravation,and suffercation,

Old age soul rage that comes with deterioration,

Sending out a message of deprivation.

AFFLICTING THE ENTIRE SOULVATION.

l agree with your comment, sadly the scene is seeing a decline in numbers attending venues, and l think IMO mainly because of whats played, worn out over played oldies.

Dont get me wrong l love the oldies, l grew up with them, soul music being a major part of my life for 34 + years, but thats the point l think lm trying to make, over those years l too have grown with the soul scene and not turned my nose up at "modern" soulful music.

A true fact is that if we want the scene to survive long after we are gone, then we need to reach a younger audience, and that can only be done if the younger ones are attracted to soul music!!!!

If it means "modern" then thats the way it will have to be, and like many of us who truely embrace the scene with all it offers musically, then this can only result in even the young un's developing a passion and love for all thats soulful .

Just to leave a thought:

oldies were new/modern 1st were'nt they!!,

so if soul music is being segregated, then what is newies/modern?.....and where do 70's 80's belong?

In essence when do 70's ect become "oldies"?

Its just a question that constantly turns over in my head........some of these records are 40 years old, so l ask the question how old do they have to be????

frusty2.gifg.gif

Sandi

Social source share

Good luck to the promoters on whatever night they chose (Because it appears this is yet to be decided upon! Was originally down for the 25th Oct. but this is now awaited due to clashes with other local nights?? mellow.gif ) but really whats the point?

Sharon

Too many do,s how,s this for overkill last Friday 1st Aug.

There were 4 on all within 2 miles of my house. mellow.gif

I drove 20 miles to Manchester to the All-Nighter :thumbsup:

Edited by davetay
Social source share

The new venue could well be offering something different from the likes of some of the venues you listed. Most of the venues in the East Midlands don't offer something "different", very rarely straying from the same old oldies. that's why I always travelled to get my fix when I lived in Chesterfield. There's probably only the Attic that would get me to travel back to the east midlands right now.

What topic and whose venue are you referring to?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Must say that in my experience the only different event that i have experienced in the East mids is Willington. You never really know what you are going to get month to month and it is a genuine across the board venue, playing classic northern, crossover, R&B, current spins and even a fair slice of 90s/ modern tunes.

Now i dont live there anymore its the only event i travel back for when i can make it.

Social source share

Must say that in my experience the only different event that i have experienced in the East mids is Willington. You never really know what you are going to get month to month and it is a genuine across the board venue, playing classic northern, crossover, R&B, current spins and even a fair slice of 90s/ modern tunes.

Now i dont live there anymore its the only event i travel back for when i can make it.

agree with you Chris, on the occasions I've been to Willington I've enjoyed it. Thta reminbds me too bout time I caught up with Gilly again!!

:lol:

Don't you live in Chesterfield anymore then Chalky?

Wondered why I'd not seen you in my local!

:thumbup:

Where you at now? Back in Sheff?

Goole now Sean, but I will get down to your local sometime in the future :thumbsup:

Social source share

The new venue could well be offering something different from the likes of some of the venues you listed. Most of the venues in the East Midlands don't offer something "different", very rarely straying from the same old oldies. that's why I always travelled to get my fix when I lived in Chesterfield. There's probably only the Attic that would get me to travel back to the east midlands right now.

What topic and whose venue are you referring to?

> this one < here I think Chalky....

As Sharon said.... getting beyond "overkill" around those parts and surrounding areas.... an observation I've noticed about the Midlands also, East and West....

Goole now Sean, but I will get down to your local sometime in the future :thumbsup:

At least your back on the right side of the border now pal :lol: .... welcome "home" :thumbup: ....

Social source share

I Have been running East Kirkby for two years now and never has anyone bothered to say anything to me before setting up venues on the same night and during the last year alone 4 venues have set up on the same night but have seemed to have faded away,One promoter actually insinuated that their venue would close East Kirkby.... no doubt there will be others. :unsure:

Even advertising an event in advance has little impact on anyone thinking twice about any venue date clashes, as with Christmas last year when two other venues set up events on the same night as ours, One promoter even approached us to say he would not clash with our date but his fliers said different and arrived via friends of his to put out at our venue !! (they took them home ). :huh:

We play our music for the people who come who like the mix we do, our style is not to everyones taste so they come and dont come again BUT for the ones that do come back time and again East Kirkby will stay true to it's format. thumbup.gif

At the end of the day the venue reflects a choice and style that you as a promoterand Dj must enjoy to be able to play those records and play them well for other peoples enjoyment .... otherwise why bother? :rolleyes:

I do agree with your opening statement that too many venues are being opened up in the same area without considering other venues in the area .........but at the end of the day it's up to the soulies who pay their money and go where they want to go... variety is the spice of life but potato's without salt are horrible ! ! yes.gif

Social source share

I Have been running East Kirkby for two years now and never has anyone bothered to say anything to me before setting up venues on the same night and during the last year alone 4 venues have set up on the same night but have seemed to have faded away,One promoter actually insinuated that their venue would close East Kirkby.... no doubt there will be others. :unsure:

Even advertising an event in advance has little impact on anyone thinking twice about any venue date clashes, as with Christmas last year when two other venues set up events on the same night as ours, One promoter even approached us to say he would not clash with our date but his fliers said different and arrived via friends of his to put out at our venue !! (they took them home ). :unsure:

We play our music for the people who come who like the mix we do, our style is not to everyones taste so they come and dont come again BUT for the ones that do come back time and again East Kirkby will stay true to it's format. thumbup.gif

At the end of the day the venue reflects a choice and style that you as a promoterand Dj must enjoy to be able to play those records and play them well for other peoples enjoyment .... otherwise why bother? :rolleyes:

I do agree with your opening statement that too many venues are being opened up in the same area without considering other venues in the area .........but at the end of the day it's up to the soulies who pay their money and go where they want to go... variety is the spice of life but potato's without salt are horrible ! ! yes.gif

yeh, good point.

It's the initial "lets try somewhere new" before people realise which are the better run nights and go back to them that is often enough to kill off the best venue's, whilst people are trying something new, which frustrates me. I see the situation near East Kirkby is much the same as the Manchester scene too.. :huh:

Jayne.x.

Social source share

i have no problem with people trying somthing new we all have done that in the past i have and gone to places that have been going for year even and if they not for you then they not for you but its time we sorted things out over here but problem is they will allways be some body out there ready to step in or start up ......... hey ho we all have a choice still

Social source share

The venue has been highlighted correctly earlier on in the thread.

My point is to highlight yet again this `try something different` mentality ; Its not something different at all; it is what is played, whatever genre it happens to be, at a venue I suggest in this area on any given weekend.

`The public makes a choice`; This is absolutely correct and they do just that; But is this the honest truth? Do the majority of people actually approach any random person who may have a record collection and say `Please start up a new night because we want something different?`Or is it the promoter and his mates deciding this? We will never know and really I don`t really care. I do know though that some local promoters have been approached and have obviously voiced their disquiet about the new event being on `their` night and so we will have to wait and see which other one the new guys chose as I know my fella hasn`t been approached.

Anyway, as I`ve said on here many many times; Its NOT a way of life, its NOT a matter of life and death and it IS only a night out when all is said and done and if a night clashes with ours and people decide to go elsewhere thats OK by me as life will go on! Its been nice to be involved in the promotion of a successful soul night for the past 6 years but if it ended tomorrow then I would say that its been good sometimes, bad sometimes, frustrating, aggravating and a laugh but ultimately I won`t lose any sleep over it. I`m happy to know that Chris and I have tried to remain dignified and honest in the time we have been involved with the Pilsley soul nights and if others want to behave in whatever they see fit then thats at their discretion.

A comment from the promoters in question would be be useful to get the alternative view and then a proper debate could ensue.

S

Social source share

The venue has been highlighted correctly earlier on in the thread.

My point is to highlight yet again this `try something different` mentality ; Its not something different at all; it is what is played, whatever genre it happens to be, at a venue I suggest in this area on any given weekend.

`The public makes a choice`; This is absolutely correct and they do just that; But is this the honest truth? Do the majority of people actually approach any random person who may have a record collection and say `Please start up a new night because we want something different?`Or is it the promoter and his mates deciding this? We will never know and really I don`t really care. I do know though that some local promoters have been approached and have obviously voiced their disquiet about the new event being on `their` night and so we will have to wait and see which other one the new guys chose as I know my fella hasn`t been approached.

Anyway, as I`ve said on here many many times; Its NOT a way of life, its NOT a matter of life and death and it IS only a night out when all is said and done and if a night clashes with ours and people decide to go elsewhere thats OK by me as life will go on! Its been nice to be involved in the promotion of a successful soul night for the past 6 years but if it ended tomorrow then I would say that its been good sometimes, bad sometimes, frustrating, aggravating and a laugh but ultimately I won`t lose any sleep over it. I`m happy to know that Chris and I have tried to remain dignified and honest in the time we have been involved with the Pilsley soul nights and if others want to behave in whatever they see fit then thats at their discretion.

A comment from the promoters in question would be be useful to get the alternative view and then a proper debate could ensue.

S

Yes it has since your initial post thanks to Mark. Having read the topic in question I would agree with you that it will offer nothing that is already on offer at plenty of venues in the East Midlands. Anyone with half a brain cell who attends venues in any area will know by the dj's what is gonna be on offer.

The only event on the horizon in that particular area that will offer something different is the one that Sean Hampsey will be promoting. That will be truly across the board, unlike the northern 70's oldies that masquerade as across the board, it will offer something different.

Social source share

try something dfferant..........now there's a concept :rolleyes:

Will have to try that "New Concept" thing one day but I don't get out & about much :D & by the way Tezza, learn to spell m8 :D . I just hit the link but as soon as I read the words "Soul clothing & Bowling shirt's" I'm afraid I knew exactly what it would & wouldn't be offering so made a hasty retreat, as I usually do from the Midoldieslands. Have to admit the only place I'd travel down there to at present would be the Attic, can't vouch for Willington as not been yet, sorry Den & Rob, one day we'll make it, promise. :)

Take care, be safe & remember, "Baggies are so 1970's darling",

Spot. shades.gif

Social source share

Will have to try that "New Concept" thing one day but I don't get out & about much laugh.gif & by the way Tezza, learn to spell m8 :D . I just hit the link but as soon as I read the words "Soul clothing & Bowling shirt's" I'm afraid I knew exactly what it would & wouldn't be offering so made a hasty retreat, as I usually do from the Midoldieslands. Have to admit the only place I'd travel down there to at present would be the Attic, can't vouch for Willington as not been yet, sorry Den & Rob, one day we'll make it, promise. :rolleyes:

Take care, be safe & remember, "Baggies are so 1970's darling",

Spot. :)

Hey up Spot you old devil,been said before but yeah have to say the midlands is well over run with events and another same old same night (thats what it will be) is not called for. the last count was 29 in a month :D its a joke.

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

I'm already guessing the playlist:

starting with

Eddie Bishop - Call Me (boot)

Shirley Ellis - Soul Time

O'Jays - I Dig Your Act - Flash Back

Frank Popp cover up - Smoove jobby

Kings Go Forth (Not cos it's a bad record, cos it's been talked about on here, played in London, so it must be alright and I got it for a tenner and they are going for £50 odd on EBay)

Jerry Butler - Moody Woman, slab of northern soul you can pick up for 80p in Rob Smiths record shop (battered but eh oh, weigh the needle down and it plays like a minter)

There you go, that's my first 20 minutes of my spot, cos between those records i'll be shouting "Havvvvvvvvvve ittttttttttttt"

Can I have a spot please? :rolleyes:

I'll bring my own hoop to insert in waistband of said clown trousers :) and i'll juggle my balls after my spot...or Jims balls seeing as I ain't got any. no.gif

Social source share

starting with

Kings Go Forth (Not cos it's a bad record, cos it's been talked about on here, played in London, so it must be alright and I got it for a tenner and they are going for £50 odd on EBay)

Jerry Butler - Moody Woman, slab of northern soul you can pick up for 80p in Rob Smiths record shop (battered but eh oh, weigh the needle down and it plays like a minter)

There you go, that's my first 20 minutes of my spot, cos between those records i'll be shouting "Havvvvvvvvvve ittttttttttttt"

Can I have a spot please? :)

I'll bring my own hoop to insert in waistband of said clown trousers yes.gif and i'll juggle my balls after my spot...or Jims balls seeing as I ain't got any. :D

Dont forget your polystyrene shoes whoops im mean Polyveldts...god im sooo stupid :rolleyes::D

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

starting with

I'll bring my own hoop to insert in waistband of said clown trousers yes.gif and i'll juggle my balls after my spot...or Jims balls seeing as I ain't got any. :D

F*** it thats a quarter of my spot gone at the Attic in January :)

Social source share

starting with

I'll bring my own hoop to insert in waistband of said clown trousers :) and i'll juggle my balls after my spot...or Jims balls seeing as I ain't got any. no.gif

His boot leg and re-issue stock has never been so low :D

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

What ya mean Ted 1/4 of ya spot, what about ya Arin Demain, ohhhhhhhhh blow me down. Can do half a spot with those records, just repeat 'em, no one will notice .You want me to send ya a crusty mp3 of Arin ? :rolleyes: (send me ya record then!! lol)

Yeah the Cornish Pasties....photograph of me at my last booking :)

post-6141-1218483654_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Yes it has since your initial post thanks to Mark. Having read the topic in question I would agree with you that it will offer nothing that is already on offer at plenty of venues in the East Midlands. Anyone with half a brain cell who attends venues in any area will know by the dj's what is gonna be on offer.

The only event on the horizon in that particular area that will offer something different is the one that Sean Hampsey will be promoting. That will be truly across the board, unlike the northern 70's oldies that masquerade as across the board, it will offer something different.

I would be interested in this depending what this something different actually will be. I have seen that something was due to start some while ago; North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area; When and where is this to happen?

Social source share

Guest Byrney

the last count was 29 in a month :rolleyes: its a joke.

So in this great Notts.. er.. underground :) scene of ours there's nearly as many oldies soul nights as mainstream night clubs and discos laugh.gif

Oldies Northern soul will eat itself, leave em to it :D

Social source share

So in this great Notts.. er.. underground :rolleyes: scene of ours there's nearly as many oldies soul nights as mainstream night clubs and discos :)

Oldies Northern soul will eat itself, leave em to it yes.gif

dont worry i do,stopped going to most if not all events now,just fed up with it. I did go out saturday and i was told that i only go to soul dos that may offer something different or that i only go to the ones that i dj at.i think they were knocking at the fact that of recent times ive only been to bestwood and i went to the brit.to that i said too bloddy right,why should i go out week in week out listening to the same old crap and wasting my hard earned cash.

i wish 90% of the dos would close down and let people with a bit of passion for the music get on with.As said there are a few well established events are feeling it now because of these idiots keep wanting to pretend they are at wigan GROW UP AND GET A LIFE!

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Guest rachel

OK, this is all getting a bit silly, can we try and keep on topic please.

Has anyone directly asked the promoters of this new event about these issues, maybe they haven't seen this thread?

Social source share

OK, this is all getting a bit silly, can we try and keep on topic please.

Has anyone directly asked the promoters of this new event about these issues, maybe they haven't seen this thread?

Maybe night nurse can shed some light as he is down or was down as guest dj

Social source share

Maybe the people involved should come on and say what they mean by something different.As for asking for another event i think a handful should give up the ghost and nob off IMO of course :rolleyes:

Hiya Jim

See you up to it again :) that's my boy, trouble is about the same old, that's what most folks want around these parts, you try playing something different and wait for the" why don't you play some norfan mate" I was on at J20 on Saturday played a few different tunes,(see playlist) nothing rare mind, but not many in, why? all at the oldies do a few miles away, and of course if your numbers drop cause of your music policy what do you do?

Take care mate and see you soon maybe at Bestwood.

Barry

Social source share

Guest Fatius Bumius

Sorry Mods to go off topic (yet again), but when I've clicked that pic of Ronald McDonald, it don't half look like Cilla Black! :rolleyes:

Social source share

im as much in the dark as you lot yes i know im djing i am trying to get hold of the promoter to put his slant on this on here for you all to read so before all the p*** taking i think you should allow him to have his say ................. you never know he may have somthing new to offer please let him have his say .................... but i do still agree to many event in this area

Social source share

Hiya Jim

See you up to it again :) that's my boy, trouble is about the same old, that's what most folks want around these parts, you try playing something different and wait for the" why don't you play some norfan mate" I was on at J20 on Saturday played a few different tunes,(see playlist) nothing rare mind, but not many in, why? all at the oldies do a few miles away, and of course if your numbers drop cause of your music policy what do you do?

Take care mate and see you soon maybe at Bestwood.

Barry

hey up Barry,if people want the same old thats ok but it dont mean they have to open a new event every 5 minutes to hear it.i cant and never will see what they get out of it.As for playing "northern" i play it,lots of it in fact, but some folks just dont seem to get it or its got to be played by certain people before they do. Just glad that this scene isnt the only thing ive got in my life,

No Bestwood for me this time Di & me are off on our holidays :rolleyes:

Social source share

I would be interested in this depending what this something different actually will be. I have seen that something was due to start some while ago; North Derbyshire/South Yorkshire area; When and where is this to happen?

It maybe too across the board for you, I doubt there's anything like it in the area if its anything like what Sean has done in the past :rolleyes: Anyone who knows Sean's taste and anyone who went to Pitches for instance will tell you that you will be in for something different. Sean is not the kind of promoter to do what is already on offer at the clubs in the area.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

im as much in the dark as you lot yes i know im djing i am trying to get hold of the promoter to put his slant on this on here for you all to read so before all the p*** taking i think you should allow him to have his say ................. you never know he may have somthing new to offer please let him have his say .................... but i do still agree to many event in this area

is that some kind of joke,he didnt have owt new to offer saturday.As for you saying there are too many events in the area,you go to most of them and dj at alot so how can you make that comment, if you disagree with whats going off why support it :rolleyes:

Social source share

is that some kind of joke,he didnt have owt new to offer saturday.As for you saying there are too many events in the area,you go to most of them and dj at alot so how can you make that comment, if you disagree with whats going off why support it :rolleyes:

well as i said let him tell you what he is offering as for going to all the events i go to i only go to three events in the area regular................ i used to go to a lot more in this area i know.................. also i have heard he play a good spot saturday and he was asked to return.......... you said ealier you went to brit club thats new well new promoters anyway................ we all go to these new events i have been to loads but most of them i would never return for one reason or another i like oldies dont mind a bit of r/b & modern............... its my choice my £3 quid in the tins of the venues i attend just give this guy a chance to have his say thats all im saying......... i think this is the 1st new event i have attended as briget says it not my life i love the music and the freindly crowds that keep me going

Edited by night nurse
Social source share

hey up Barry,if people want the same old thats ok but it dont mean they have to open a new event every 5 minutes to hear it.i cant and never will see what they get out of it.As for playing "northern" i play it,lots of it in fact, but some folks just dont seem to get it or its got to be played by certain people before they do. Just glad that this scene isnt the only thing ive got in my life,

No Bestwood for me this time Di & me are off on our holidays :rolleyes:

Have a great time and enjoy your hols.

Barry

Social source share

It maybe too across the board for you :rolleyes: Anyone who knows Sean's taste and anyone who went to Pitches for instance will tell you that you will be in for something different. Sean is not the kind of promoter to do what is already on offer at the clubs in the area.

I`m no quite sure what this comment means; I don`t think you know me so cannot see how you would know this or what my tastes are! Good for him if he will play something truly out of the ordinary; I was asking though when and where so we can look out for it as I do recall a long time ago some comments being made on a thread about it but no more seems to have been said.

Social source share

well as i said let him tell you what he is offering as for going to all the events i go to i only go to three events in the area regular................ i used to go to a lot more in this area i know.................. also i have heard he play a good spot saturday and he was asked to return.......... you said ealier you went to brit club thats new well new promoters anyway................ we all go to these new events i have been to loads but most of them i would never return for one reason or another i like oldies dont mind a bit of r/b & modern............... its my choice my £3 quid in the tins of the venues i attend just give this guy a chance to have his say thats all im saying......... i think this is the 1st new event i have attended as briget says it not my life i love the music and the freindly crowds that keep me going

I went because its not the same old borin stuff,lots of "oldies" were played there and will be again in september but NOT skiing in the snow,soul time,time and the odd dodgy boots,

This do is not needed,its wanted by a few who seem to want to rule the notts soul scene and not let anybody else in to run something half decent.

I said this before,i feel sorry for some of the notts promoters because they have some great tunes which they cant,wont or are scared to play becasue of the current situation,they dont want to alienate people.its sad

You say you like oldies,you only like what you know and like the rest of the folk you hang around with if you dont know it you just dont want to know unless it comes from the top.what i mean by that is that one of the "big name" djs is playing it,then you want one

Edited by JMYTG
Social source share

Any consolation to those affected, this is happening everywhere now... good venues having to close because they just cannot afford to be out of pocket every month, Soul nites popping up at every street corner, even ones moving into already established venues to try and make names for themselves.... must be about 6 odd nites in this city alone now every month ...

Social source share

I`m no quite sure what this comment means; I don`t think you know me so cannot see how you would know this or what my tastes are! Good for him if he will play something truly out of the ordinary; I was asking though when and where so we can look out for it as I do recall a long time ago some comments being made on a thread about it but no more seems to have been said.

You said "I would be interested in this depending what this something different actually will be", Going by what you say on SS in lookbacks, your blog etc, I doubt you go anywhere that will play what any of Sean's promotions in the past have played, i.e. Pitches, which truly were across the board, all era's, 60's to the present day, and by that I don't mean the ones that acceptable to the northern crowd cause they sound northern. You only have to look at his playlist from Friday to tell you it will be different, not what you usually get in the midlands, including Pilsley. His signature says on the edge of South Yorkshire/Derbyshire, so a clue there, but no date yet.

Social source share

So here we are expecting said promoter to come on to the thread and show an ounce of gumption and what happens? He posts up on the Events section the details of his night and Lo and behold its on the same night as Pilsley..well surprise surprise..And here it is: (Pasted from the events thread) Come on what is all this about? Numbers spread even thinner..less atmosphere...Come on SoulsceneRob...who has asked for this and who suggested the third Saturday? Of course this is not just Pilsley but loads of others happening on this night. I`ve said enough and think I`ve made my point sufficiently ....Over to you!!

"Well, it's finaly happened.

YOU have been asking us to put on a Northern Soul & Tamla Motown venue in the LOCAL area.

Well here it is...

(The Grosveror Rooms) Sutton in Ashfield

Church Street, Sutton in Ashfield NG17 1FE

Opening night October 18th

7.30pm - 12.30am

£4.00 O.T.D

Resident DJ: Rob Yates

Guest DJs: (Dave) the Night Nurse (East Kirkby)

Debbie (Loughborough)

Kev Such (Cream Cracker)

We are 100% certain you will LOVE this night for ALL the right reasons.

Come along and see us and have a FANTASTIC night of PURE Northern Soul

& Tamla Motown,

we would Love to see you there.

K.T.F (Rob)

--------------------

Soul Scene Clothing

Grosvenor Rooms (Sutton in Ashfield) "

THE ABOVE IS PASTED DIRECTLY FROM THE EVENTS SECTION SO THE GRAMMAR AND SPELLING IS NOTHING TO DO WITH ME!!

Edited by bridget
Social source share

You said "I would be interested in this depending what this something different actually will be", Going by what you say on SS in lookbacks, your blog etc, I doubt you go anywhere that will play what any of Sean's promotions in the past have played, i.e. Pitches, which truly were across the board, all era's, 60's to the present day, and by that I don't mean the ones that acceptable to the northern crowd cause they sound northern. You only have to look at his playlist from Friday to tell you it will be different, not what you usually get in the midlands, including Pilsley. His signature says on the edge of South Yorkshire/Derbyshire, so a clue there, but no date yet.

Because I don`t go to some of the events does not mean I wouldn`t like the music Chalky...I have an extremely busy life which means my opportunities to go to `different` venues is limited. I support Pilsley because its Chris` `do` and some of the local ones because of the obvious but to be honest this looks to me like there will be fewer and fewer of these due to changes to music policies . Shame but thats the way it is...Perhaps better to go out less and travel further I`m thinking

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert