Worst Record Played On The Scene

After the Dean Barlow debate which record/s do you hate

Mine is Gary Lewis and the Playboys - My Hearts Symphony

One of the lads put in on at the Legion, i was at the bar at the time.

I was that mad i run across the dance floor up onto the stage ripped it off the decks and smashed it.

I had a bad temper in my younger days. :thumbup:unsure.gif

Social source share

• Replies 173
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I was that mad i run across the dance floor up onto the stage ripped it off the decks and smashed it.

I had a bad temper in my younger days. :thumbup:unsure.gif

Quality. Takes me back to a certain place in time.

Reading All Dayer late 70s, when a certain DJ (OK it was Cockney Mick) smashed a certain DJs record (OK it was Chris Hill's) in front of an all knowing audience of soul people.

Happy days.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...Are we really debating "worst record played on the scene" or "record that's played on the scene that you hate the most" here?

We'd all agree, I think, that there have been plenty of irredeemably awful records played on the scene over the years, with amateur hour singing, Hallmark card lyrics and broom cupboard production - any of which could be a contender for "worst record".

But if it's a record with good production values, well written lyrics and at least passable singing - criteria which something like D. Barlow meets, whether you like the record or not - would it really be the 'worst record' on a scene that has embraced "Footsee", the Joe 90 theme and The Happy Cats in its time?

However, if we ARE going for "worst record that some people think is good", Don Ray "Born A Loser" and Curtis Lee "Is She In Your Town" will do it for me every time. As least Gary Lewis has never pretended to be a soul record, and I doubt that anyone thinks it is. The other two seem to have fooled a lot of the people, a lot of the time...

Social source share

As Tony said there are many but the like of L. (Larry) Allen, Youngblood Smith, Toni Basil really sit in my claw as aweful records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Tony Basil you want your head read,awesome !!Mark

I'll go with "time wont let me" him with the funny name,Outsiders and Gene Pitney are better.

Social source share

I'll go for the Cereal advertastic 'Wake up to the sunshine girl', whenever i hear it out reminds me of the Fruit & Fibre advert Grant Mitchell was in.

Simon :)

Social source share

Lots of tunes that have been played I don't like - as mentioned earler it doesn't make them a bad record.

Harry Crosby cited Esko Affair as an example of a record he doesn't like - agree the lyrics are naff - but the Vince Montana production is spot on.

Think a record like Cats Eyes - Life ticks all the "wrong" boxes for me. Don't really understand what it is supposed to be - it definitely is NOT a soul record - it is in fact just a poor piece of music all round - dreadful beyond description.

Edited by epic
Social source share

As Tony said there are many but the likes of L. (Larry) Allen, Ben Zine, Youngblood Smith, Toni Basil really sit in my claw as aweful records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

:):D:lol:

three of those are brilliant and Ben Zine isn't that bad...still, if we all liked the same thing etc

Social source share

As Tony said there are many but the likes of L. (Larry) Allen, Ben Zine, Youngblood Smith, Toni Basil really sit in my claw as aweful records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

L.(Larry) Allen and BenZine are truly awful... :)

My Top Hate vote must go for Nabay- Believe it or not.

Best

Edu

Social source share

This could be a contentious thread, but how about finding some tunes that nobody could defend, or admit to liking. Some of the most appalling examples of "Northern Soul" in my mind are some of the "Instrumentals" on the "Soul Galore" label.Equally as appalling are some of the "cover" versions on the "Soul Stop" label, did any of these monstrosities get an airing in front of a paying public?

Des Parker

Social source share

This could be a contentious thread, but how about finding some tunes that nobody could defend, or admit to liking. Some of the most appalling examples of "Northern Soul" in my mind are some of the "Instrumentals" on the "Soul Galore" label.Equally as appalling are some of the "cover" versions on the "Soul Stop" label, did any of these monstrosities get an airing in front of a paying public?

Des Parker

I had heard it was payola ........

I would like to propose " On The Road To Ruin " by " Earl Wright " , and let someone try to defend that

" classic " ........

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

KING MOSES :)

I thought you stated King Tutt , if it had been so , do not let Martin Dixon hear you say that .......

Malc Burton

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

I'll go for the Cereal advertastic 'Wake up to the sunshine girl', whenever i hear it out reminds me of the Fruit & Fibre advert Grant Mitchell was in.

Simon :D

Yep i'll go for Joey bloody Delorenzo every time, mainly because the intro is quite good and had me running for the dancefloor only to realise it's this pile of shite yet again when Joey's vocal kicks in and i have to walk back off again.

oh and Joe Jama... :)

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Think people are confusing "bad" with "don't like".

Eh? It's the same thing mate. 'Don't like' does equal 'bad' to an individual, things are only bad because you personally don't like them. It's all subjective. Nothing is objectively bad or good in art or music (although there's plenty of stuff the majority agree on is good), it's all down to personal taste.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Mark,i'm suprised you don't like Toni Basil :) .Great dancer,loads of atmosphere.

oh,i know what it is Mark.........you can't get the, "Hey Micky" image out of your head. :lol: ...KEV.

Check out the You Tube film of her doing "Breakaway",you'll change your mind. :D

Edited by KevH
Social source share

Eh? It's the same thing mate. 'Don't like' does equal 'bad' to an individual, things are only bad because you personally don't like them. It's all subjective. Nothing is objectively bad or good in art or music (although there's plenty of stuff the majority agree on is good), it's all down to personal taste.

I am not fond of Beethoven's work - doesn't mean to say it is bad - the chap undoubtedly did some fine symphonies - they are just not for me.

Social source share

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Hi Mark, I brought Ben Zine blind, 77 or 78 Parkway label and all that it had to be good, but it wasn,t :D

I managed to swap it for Frank Dell-He Broke Your Game Wide Open within 24 hours :)

Dave.

Social source share

Last time I said I disliked Bobby Kline I had a marauding mob after me - nice to see someone else has good taste :)

well everyone states the obvious on these threads pete but mr kline has never done it for me, music to fall asleep to :D

Social source share

That's easy "Montclairs - Hung up on your love" followed closey by "Troy Dodds - Try my love"

don't get much worse these these 2 specimens of crap............... :rolleyes:

Social source share

:Dohmy.gif:D

three of those are brilliant and Ben Zine isn't that bad...still, if we all liked the same thing etc

Benzine is one of my all time faves and have been after a mint copy for years managed to get one last year :rolleyes:

Social source share

That's easy "Montclairs - Hung up on your love" followed closey by "Troy Dodds - Try my love"

don't get much worse these these 2 specimens of crap............... :rolleyes:

Chris - when I said the same about the Montclairs, which truly is painfully awful, this is the reply I got, so read it and start feeling ashamed of yourself

"Well its not the worst, and its not a mess, and the vocals are great, and are pure soul music!!

You should be ashamed to fault a record of this quaility, because its great and thats a fact!!"

Social source share

Maybe it should be worst "northern record" played on the scene most of the records in this thread are pop anyway or you could have worst "pop record" on the scene ??? can of worms and all that :rolleyes:

Social source share

Maybe it should be worst "northern record" played on the scene most of the records in this thread are pop anyway or you could have worst "pop record" on the scene ??? can of worms and all that :lol:

It's quite frightening how many "pop" records have been played & we have all danced to some of them - it is all about interpretation - I see Paul Anka "Can't Help Loving You" as one of the all time great Northern Soul records but think Sam Cooke "Sugar Dumpling" is a pile of poo!!!

Social source share

bobby kline, sam moultrie, futures, to name but a few :lol:

GOT TO AGREE ABOUT THE BOBBY KLINE, NEVER LIKED IT, IT JUST GOES AMBLING ALONG WITH NO KICK

ITS MY ALL TIME HATE

WAZZ

Social source share

Possibly one of the best 10 northern soul records ever - except for the last 30 seconds

It can't be Pete.

It's even worse than the Carstairs.

Although only just !

Social source share

harvey-any way you want me. mrs & myself were @ allnighter hyde botanical club she asked me on hearing it ,is this by the muppets and she was being serious!!

Diddy, that reminds me of a moment about 15 yrs ago at a do in Bolton, the lady i was with asked me if Gary Lewis was the smurfs, really :lol:

Social source share

I had a bad temper in my younger days. :lol::P

i remember being at morecambe one nite and heard a record called firefly total shite

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!