Worst Record Played On The Scene

• Replies 173
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

...Are we really debating "worst record played on the scene" or "record that's played on the scene that you hate the most" here?

We'd all agree, I think, that there have been plenty of irredeemably awful records played on the scene over the years, with amateur hour singing, Hallmark card lyrics and broom cupboard production - any of which could be a contender for "worst record".

But if it's a record with good production values, well written lyrics and at least passable singing - criteria which something like D. Barlow meets, whether you like the record or not - would it really be the 'worst record' on a scene that has embraced "Footsee", the Joe 90 theme and The Happy Cats in its time?

However, if we ARE going for "worst record that some people think is good", Don Ray "Born A Loser" and Curtis Lee "Is She In Your Town" will do it for me every time. As least Gary Lewis has never pretended to be a soul record, and I doubt that anyone thinks it is. The other two seem to have fooled a lot of the people, a lot of the time...

surely you're own theory on Dean Barlow at least being a decently crafted piece of music, whether appropriate for the soul scene or not, applies to Curtis Lee - surely a catchy, brilliantly played and produced garage record at least.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:lol::P:P

three of those are brilliant and Ben Zine isn't that bad...still, if we all liked the same thing etc

do the split.....top tune :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yep i'll go for Joey bloody Delorenzo every time, mainly because the intro is quite good and had me running for the dancefloor only to realise it's this pile of shite yet again when Joey's vocal kicks in and i have to walk back off again.

oh and Joe Jama... :lol:

spot on that man, funny old world though,if you take an out and out oldies crowd,they wuold have no truck with the newer 60's stuff.....but somehow they love these two pieces of utter shite :P

Social source share

surely you're own theory on Dean Barlow at least being a decently crafted piece of music, whether appropriate for the soul scene or not, applies to Curtis Lee - surely a catchy, brilliantly played and produced garage record at least.

I like both of them - Don Ray, always loved it, Curtis Lee one of the best newies of the last decade or so...

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I know a lot of folk like it but my contender for worst record is I'm So Happy by Prince Philip Mitchell - I cringe when it comes on.

Suz :P

x

100% with ya on this i have to leave the room when it comes on........ sorry to all them that love it but its all about opinions........... :lol: Andy.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I know a lot of folk like it but my contender for worst record is I'm So Happy by Prince Philip Mitchell - I cringe when it comes on.

Suz :lol:

x

spot on girl......deffo soul nite shite ha ha

Social source share

hey pete,classic what?.....mistakes lol :lol:

I heard Afternoon Of The Rhino the other day, totally by chance, sent shivers up my arms...it's got just about everything a Northern instrumental needs...also reminds me of my first steps on the scene. If Ghost In My House were discovered today it would be as big as it was back then I reckon. It's as good as most other Motown/Northern tracks.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I heard Afternoon Of The Rhino the other day, totally by chance, sent shivers up my arms...it's got just about everything a Northern instrumental needs...also reminds me of my first steps on the scene. If Ghost In My House were discovered today it would be as big as it was back then I reckon. It's as good as most other Motown/Northern tracks.

err! ok....if you say so mate lol

Social source share

Suz :P

x

Suz i knew there was another one i couldnt stand and this is it :lol: sorry :P

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Poor song, badly sung and with mediocre musicianship at best - not so much garage as garbage, IMO. It's just not a good record, and wouldn't be whether it was "played on the scene" or not.

Social source share

All very personal, and i hope i dont upset too many, but here's a few that spring to mind

Arabia,,,,Delcos

D Barlow....4 window up thing (gotta say first reaction on hearing it was one of utter dismay)

Broadway Sissy

Tribute to Betty

Stop look and listen....plays locally sounds like euro disco gone wrong

I'm slowly moulding....it is slow and mouldy

I'LL LEAVE IT THERE NOT EVEN GOING TO THOSE PLACES DEEP IN THE RECESSES OF MY MIND FROM THE 76-78 WIGAN POP STOMPERS....TOO SCARY

Harpo

Social source share

shooooooes great record... :P

It is a good record l agree,esp if you listen to the words, typical bloke,blaming every thing but his own failings.

"The shoes did it cus my feet were in em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

:lol: ummmmmmm

Social source share

Suz :lol:

x

I'm sure there are others that I hate more but I do walk out when this comes on. If there was a Top 10 of overplayed tracks of the last 10 years...this has to be a contender.

Oh yeh, I hate the brothers more than I hate this..

Jayne.x. :P

Social source share

Seems l've been down this road before, and l still hold firm to my view that as individuals we cant all like the same and it's entirely a personal choice and taste in what one thinks is good and bad.

So l hope l dont upset anyone when l put forward my little list, it's not intentional...just my personal opinion.

My little Cottage/Fluffy Falana

Country Roads/High Volage

Country Girl/Vickki Baines

Standing on Solid Ground/Sydney Barns

Arabia/The Delcos

Dust My Broom/Ike and Tina Turner

Rosemary What Happened/Richard Popcorn Wylie

Village Of Tears/Ben Zine

Think that will do, could go on and on...but l wont.

Sorry no offence meant.

Sandi

Social source share

and l still hold firm to my view that as individuals we cant all like the same

Sandi

Just goes to show what you mean.......

How anybody (IMHO) could list those above tracks with such records to choose from as that fookin Reptile or Tribute to Betty Swallocks, not to mention 'Just lovin you' which makes even Frank Wilson look like an underplayed rarey.....

Social source share

Worst record played on the scene..errrrrrm let me think :g: A lot of the records mentioned so far are pretty good(apart from the the Joe 90,Hawaii 5 0 etc b**llocks )but perhaps some aren't suited to be played out to a smal/medium sized venue. I reckon you could get away with playing those at the 'big' venues (king hall,Blackpool etc) . that Joey delorenzo disc( for example--there are others) sounds the dogs b*llocks in Kings hall when its heaving and sweaty but would sound like sh*te at a smaller intimate venue .

Prince Philip Mitchell--im so happy and records of that ilk are what i would call 'ironing music' in our house :D . My misses loves ironing to records such as that and Robert John ( if she can get to the ironing board first cos I fooking love ironing :thumbsup: )

Me point being is perhaps its a time and a place thing thumbsup.gif

I haven't quite yet found the time and place for Sugar Dumpling ---sam Cooke yet though :(:(ph34r.gif

Social source share

Danny Woods - 90 days in the County Jail

Just listened to this on a CD to see if I still dislike it as much as I used to. Think I actually dislike it more now - a truly awful record.

Totally agree with you there -would have defiately posted this up if you hadn't beaten me to it

Social source share

lets not look at the worst song ever played but at the worst lyrics ever written for a song... i think youve got to go a long way to beat Al Wison, The Snake...or Benny Spellman, Fortune Teller, i mean, was it more important back in the day that the lyrics rhymed rather than made any sense..??? wacko.gif

Social source share

As Tony said there are many but the likes of L. (Larry) Allen, Ben Zine, Youngblood Smith, Toni Basil really sit in my claw as aweful records.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

ohmy.gif Shocked at some of the choices there Mark

Tony Basil you want your head read,awesome !!Mark

I'll go with "time wont let me" him with the funny name,Outsiders and Gene Pitney are better.

:D How could anyone not like 'Mickey' ??? :g:

L.(Larry) Allen and BenZine are truly awful... :(

My Top Hate vote must go for Nabay- Believe it or not.

Best

Edu

:( I never liked that one either, still can't see how or why it became so big !

No contest IMHO.

Lou Pride and the torturous "I'm Comin' Home".

Utter earache.

:thumbsup: Noooooooooooooooooo

Apart from the obvious ones.... my addition along the lines of tunes that most people liked is the one we discussed on here the other day...... 'I'm Gonna Change' by either the Velours or Franki Valli & the Four Seasons.

Don't hate it as such again, but it was always a sharp exit from the dance floor for me if it came on.

Oh & lets not forget that 'Frank popp' twaddle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! angry.gif:D

Edited by Bogue
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

DJ Genesis to me it sounds like a dance record and if i had gone into a venue and heard it first time i would think is this is a Northern soul night.

I know Muriel Day is mentioned but funny cause it was first played in Peterborough

Social source share

lets not look at the worst song ever played but at the worst lyrics ever written for a song... i think youve got to go a long way to beat Al Wison, The Snake...or Benny Spellman, Fortune Teller, i mean, was it more important back in the day that the lyrics rhymed rather than made any sense..??? wacko.gif

Both of these are classics! :)

Rain-out of mind, (just in time for the ABBA revival) :thumbsup:

Queen of fools :P

Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

Each to their own and its interesting to see how just how subjective taste is. Some of my all time favourite records have been listed here as others worst sounds.

Don Ray? Montclairs? Lou Pride? All gems to my ears.

Now if there is one record to get me running off the dancefloor and out the door of the venue then it's "Moonlight Music and You".

Awful muck to these ears.

Social source share

I'm back with a few more

Now and again i have had to look long and hard as there a some records that to me are abysmal, yet to most of us seem to be real gems....but no matter how long i have mused i've always come out with the same view as when i started....they sound like sh**e to me

HERE'S A FEW OF 'EM

Rita & the Tiaras

Brooks Brothers

Sister lee

B McNeir ..Youre gonna love etc....(musical equivalent of Tuinal)

Pukie Hudson

Syng Mcowan

Doug Banks..Kept on dancing

Try them for size....even after 30+ years there's not a glimmer of hope for any of 'em from me....thats what's so special we dont have to seek compliancy on our scene...or fit in, its about individuality and a love of "our" music.

Harpo

Edited by harpo1
Social source share

Guest andyrattigan

I'm back with a few more

Now and again i have had to look long and hard as there a some records that to me are abysmal, yet to most of us seem to be real gems....but no matter how long i have mused i've always come out with the same view as when i started....they sound like sh**e to me

HERE'S A FEW OF 'EM

Rita & the Tiaras

Brooks Brothers

Sister lee

B McNeir ..Youre gonna love etc....(musical equivalent of Tuinal)

Pukie Hudson

Syng Mcowan

Doug Banks..Kept on dancing

Try them for size....even after 30+ years there's not a glimmer of hope for any of 'em from me....thats what's so special we dont have to seek compliancy on our scene...or fit in, its about individuality and a love of "our" music.

Harpo

With you on the Rita and Tiaras and Doug Banks. Never got the fuss at all.

Barbara Mcnair "You're gonna love my baby" is pants. She has some gems as well though, the album "The Real Barbara Mcnair" is fantastic. Probably because its an album its gems dont get spun (as they didnt get 45 releases) because of the 45' only mentality in some quarters.

Social source share

Each to their own and its interesting to see how just how subjective taste is. Some of my all time favourite records have been listed here as others worst sounds.

Don Ray? Montclairs? Lou Pride? All gems to my ears.

Now if there is one record to get me running off the dancefloor and out the door of the venue then it's "Moonlight Music and You".

Awful muck to these ears.

Oh yeah l totally agree, aweful beyond words IMO, but then l know that there maybe someone out there who to them is their absolute fav.

Social source share

you're soure ?????

I think both songs are good examples for proper lyrics that actually tell a story and are way beyond the usual "I love you and you love me" lines many songs feature. especially fortune teller with its twist at the end of the song ("now I'm married to the fortune teller") is one I really like lyric-wise...

Social source share

Seems l've been down this road before, and l still hold firm to my view that as individuals we cant all like the same and it's entirely a personal choice and taste in what one thinks is good and bad.

So l hope l dont upset anyone when l put forward my little list, it's not intentional...just my personal opinion.

My little Cottage/Fluffy Falana

Country Roads/High Volage

Standing on Solid Ground/Sydney Barns

Arabia/The Delcos

Dust My Broom/Ike and Tina Turner

Think that will do, could go on and on...but l wont.

Sorry no offence meant.

Sandi

Fluffy Falana - great track, sounds great played loud

Social source share

you're soure ?????

I think both songs are good examples for proper lyrics that actually tell a story and are way beyond the usual "I love you and you love me" lines many songs feature. especially fortune teller with its twist at the end of the song ("now I'm married to the fortune teller") is one I really like lyric-wise...

I believe that the "snake" is actually based on a American folk song, and it tells a story about a kind lady who sees good in all things...a moralistic message in the song..............never be too trusting with anything or anybody , they may just turn out to be slimey little gits. :thumbsup:

Sandi

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

:unsure: Shocked at some of the choices there Mark

:yes: How could anyone not like 'Mickey' ??? :unsure:

:yes: I never liked that one either, still can't see how or why it became so big !

ohmy.gif Noooooooooooooooooo

Apart from the obvious ones.... my addition along the lines of tunes that most people liked is the one we discussed on here the other day...... 'I'm Gonna Change' by either the Velours or Franki Valli & the Four Seasons.

Don't hate it as such again, but it was always a sharp exit from the dance floor for me if it came on.

Oh & lets not forget that 'Frank popp' twaddle !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes::yes:

The velours............well i never thought i would see this tune contending for the worst record :huh: i personaly still love it......... rolleyes.gif Andy.

Social source share

"Worst Record Played On The Scene"

Surely, apart from the fun of reading the posts. this is a redundant topic given we all have likes and dislikes?

Oh, go on then I will chip (two faced git that I am !). My hate and teh worst regord every played ever is 'Chase Side Shoot Up' Brian Bennet. It was played as Soul A Go Go by the Checkerboard Squares. Frank Vincent played it.

It was the Golf theme music from BBC1, and Brian Bennett was the drummer for Cliff Richard and the Shadows!

Edited by jim g
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert