Worst Record Played On The Scene

The velours............well i never thought i would see this tune contending for the worst record :unsure: i personaly still love it......... rolleyes.gif Andy.

g.gif Yeah i agree, i think 'worst' is a bit over the top for it Andy. I was going more with the later twist of the thread, of tunes most people thought as great but didn't really do it for you :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 173
  • Views 8.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest gordon russell

DJ Genesis to me it sounds like a dance record and if i had gone into a venue and heard it first time i would think is this is a Northern soul night.

I know Muriel Day is mentioned but funny cause it was first played in Peterborough

hope he won't mind me saying,but.....a john manship biggie i think ....sorry mate lol

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'm back with a few more

Now and again i have had to look long and hard as there a some records that to me are abysmal, yet to most of us seem to be real gems....but no matter how long i have mused i've always come out with the same view as when i started....they sound like sh**e to me

HERE'S A FEW OF 'EM

Rita & the Tiaras

Brooks Brothers

Sister lee

B McNeir ..Youre gonna love etc....(musical equivalent of Tuinal)

Pukie Hudson

Syng Mcowan

Doug Banks..Kept on dancing

Try them for size....even after 30+ years there's not a glimmer of hope for any of 'em from me....thats what's so special we dont have to seek compliancy on our scene...or fit in, its about individuality and a love of "our" music.

Harpo

I used to like those big tuinal lol

Social source share

Certainly not the worst, but 3 that I actually strongly don't like, or perhaps don't get are

Rufus Lumley Stronger Than Me

Cajun Hart Got to Find a way

Keny Lynch Movin' Away

Paul

Kenny Lynch & Rufus huh.gif what don't you get, both quality records huh.gif

Social source share

Just tried again with Rufus(on the reactivated monsters thread). I just don't like it.

As for Kenny sorry I just think it's a bland ballad.

Paul

agree with u about kenny lynch, utter shite, but rufus lumley superb track!

another one for the list though is Jackie Wilson - Because of You.....is this worse than Bobby Sheen Pete?? :ohmy:

Social source share

another one for the list though is Jackie Wilson - Because of You.....is this worse than Bobby Sheen Pete?? :ohmy:

About the same.

Have to agree with Lucky Charms and Pizza Pie Man. Add to that list Fools Paradise.

Social source share

cant believe some of the tunes being posted !.... :ohmy: ....maybe if it was whats YOUR worst tune on the scene at the moment .....i suppose its always gonna come down to personal taste but how can you post tunes such as shoes when hawaii five 0,papa ooh mowmow and all that bollox has been played 'back in the day'....

i suppose it makes it a longer more interesting and humourous thread... biggrin.gif

Social source share

Poor song, badly sung and with mediocre musicianship at best - not so much garage as garbage, IMO. It's just not a good record, and wouldn't be whether it was "played on the scene" or not.

Is this him being punished for recording 'Pretty Little Angel Eyes' and 'Under the Moon of Love' earlier on in the 60s thereby giving a number one to the horrific Showaddywaddy? Seriously, 'Is She In Your Town' sounds very much like him and his band trying to imitate Elvis circa '67 trying to imitate a blues group. Having said that, I rather like it...

Social source share

another one for the list though is Jackie Wilson - Because of You.....is this worse than Bobby Sheen Pete?? :wub:

It's not that "Because of You" is a bad record, more that it became popular as the token "new" record at soul nights and everybody got one because the arthritic and the p*ssheads could dance to it all the way through, so it's been played to death! :thumbup:

Same with Ace Spectrum!

Social source share

Well I'm not exactly "ON THE SCENE" but I can't get my head around these:

1. King For a Day-Stewart Ames (Crap city: torture for me to hear this)

2. I'll Be All Alone-Barbara Redd (I don't hate this 45, but it has no business getting played on a Northern Soul or even a Belgium Popcorn night in my opinion)

3. Carbon Copy-Larry Trider (a superb Belgium Popcorn record, but a HORRIBLE Northern Soul record)

And to Mr. Darcy-"Country Boy" by Henry C & the Ivy Leaguers is AWESOME! Dave Moore, Mark Holmes and Russ Vickers and I were driving around Pittsburgh two years ago listening to that song and they all pointed out that the chorus was to the tune of Elvis-Burning Love. What a great day we had digging in "the Burgh" - lots of laughs...

-Jas

and whoever said "Head and Shoulders", if you hear the instrumental track on its own, it'll give you a new found appreciation.

Social source share

I know a lot of folk like it but my contender for worst record is I'm So Happy by Prince Philip Mitchell - I cringe when it comes on.

Suz :thumbup:

x

Got to agree with this...alot like it but but for me it gets the thumbs down...played to death it has been maybe thats why....will prob get in trouble for saying this...but the same goes for Frank Wilson...indeed i do/indeed i dont... :wub: .....played to death...

Social source share

how about that bloody Frank Papp cover up thingy thats doin the rounds now??

The name left my head as soon as it entered thmbdn.gif

come on nev"..surely it aint that bad mate".. :thumbup: ...psssssssst..i,ve gotta minter 4 sale @ £50 if anybodys interested :thumbup: ... :wub: ..(honest..pm me)

Social source share

After the Dean Barlow debate which record/s do you hate

Mine is Gary Lewis and the Playboys - My Hearts Symphony

One of the lads put in on at the Legion, i was at the bar at the time.

I was that mad i run across the dance floor up onto the stage ripped it off the decks and smashed it.

I had a bad temper in my younger days. unsure.gif:thumbup:

is it the worst on the scene or personnell taste? blue eyed soul a few years on seems to irk quite a few.the snake/lambrini advert will no doubt p...s some one off.as now my gripe is marc almond covering gloria jones...for worst record i. m. h. o. peanut duck gloria gee. but im sure theres lots out there that love it.....

Social source share

Got to agree with this...alot like it but but for me it gets the thumbs down...played to death it has been maybe thats why....will prob get in trouble for saying this...but the same goes for Frank Wilson...indeed i do/indeed i dont... huh.gif .....played to death...

Thats an interesting avatar you've got there - I sold a copy of that LP on ebay 2 weeks back, I don't think I'd seen it before, now I've seen two in a fortnight!

Social source share

I did like it, up until Prince Phillip Mitchell tryed to snog my daughter :thumbup: at Prestatyn weekender. ph34r.gif

Ah well if you're going to use that criteria not to like a record then there would be a few on the list!! Unless they're long dead of course :thumbup::thumbup: or female :) Let's just say Mr Mitchell isn't a one off :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by Reg
Social source share

Got to agree with this...alot like it but but for me it gets the thumbs down...played to death it has been maybe thats why....will prob get in trouble for saying this...but the same goes for Frank Wilson...indeed i do/indeed i dont... :sleep3: .....played to death...

I don,t think F W is a bad record not like G Lewis, Joe 90, Footie etc.

But it,s been hammered to death now for 31years, and i,m f**kin sick of hearing it.

Granted its not normaly played on the Niter scene but always at a local soul night.

Social source share

Thats an interesting avatar you've got there - I sold a copy of that LP on ebay 2 weeks back, I don't think I'd seen it before, now I've seen two in a fortnight!

I've had the lp for about 10 years...got lots & lots of those TM lp from the 60's...been collecting since i was a nipper...one of me favs is the edwin starrs..(soul master)if you don't mind me asking how much did it go for???? There are still some i'm looking for...i'll pm you with a list...

Anyway back to the thread....Love on a mountain top...Robert knight... :sleep3:

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I did like it, up until Prince Phillip Mitchell tryed to snog my daughter :thumbup: at Prestatyn weekender. :lol:

Soz just going off thread slightly......did i read that he beat his wife up or summat :sleep3: i might be totaly wrong.........oh and i hate that record with a passion its my no 1 hate..... (im so happy) jesus............. Andy.

Social source share

I've had the lp for about 10 years...got lots & lots of those TM lp from the 60's...been collecting since i was a nipper...one of me favs is the edwin starrs..(soul master)if you don't mind me asking how much did it go for???? There are still some i'm looking for...i'll pm you with a list...

Anyway back to the thread....Love on a mountain top...Robert knight... :sleep3:

Went for £43...

Social source share

Guest kid mohair
:sleep3: has anyone got a copy of prince philip mitchell to donate, my plan is on November the 5th it will be stuck to the back of a £25 rocket with 3 bangers super glued to the vinyl light the bangers first of course then.......see ya.. :lol:
Social source share

:sleep3: has anyone got a copy of prince philip mitchell to donate, my plan is on November the 5th it will be stuck to the back of a £25 rocket with 3 bangers super glued to the vinyl light the bangers first of course then.......see ya.. :thumbup:

I'll come and celebrate it doing a Joy Lovejoy and going In Orbit! :lol:

Suz

x

x

Social source share

Guest kid mohair

I'll come and celebrate it doing a Joy Lovejoy and going In Orbit! :sleep3:

Suz

x

x

:lol: we should have a sending original shite records in the sky blowing them to bits night !!!! :wave: can you imagine ........... :thumbup::shades::)

Social source share

Soz just going off thread slightly......did i read that he beat his wife up or summat :sleep3: i might be totaly wrong.........oh and i hate that record with a passion its my no 1 hate..... (im so happy) jesus............. Andy.

Hi Andy, i don,t know about beat up but he hit her at Prestatyn!

How bad it was it depends who told you about it the morning after :lol:

Dave

Social source share

I don,t think F W is a bad record not like G Lewis, Joe 90, Footie etc.

But it,s been hammered to death now for 31years, and i,m f**kin sick of hearing it.

Granted its not normaly played on the Niter scene but always at a local soul night.

and at scooter rallies...over 2 nights at 2 gigs i heard it 6 times last weekend !!!!!

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

and at scooter rallies...over 2 nights at 2 gigs i heard it 6 times last weekend !!!!!

No F/W at this weekend's Run to the Lions Den! well not in the N/S room a least :D

Social source share

The thing is ladies and gents...looking through some of the ridiculous choices some of you have for supposed worst tunes... you are basing this not on the quality of a record but how many times it has been played out....the very fact a record has been hammered means that the majority of people love it...what you have to do is think back to the times when you first heard a track...not after it has been played a billion times...if you didnt like it then...thats when its a crap record in your eyes...but comments about 'Just Loving You' being a worst record etc is just daft...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!