Bletsoe Allnighters

Guest martyn

Guest Chiefy

John Tappenden (RIP), myself (Paul Brennan), and Smelly George (RIP) were sound, Chiefy was, and still, a seriously dodgy geezer :yes:

That,s not very nice mate :shhh: Won,t show ya how to fish next time we meet on the bank.

Got sent this link by a mate who came across it by chance. Great to see the photos and see some of the old haunts and faces and sad to hear of some deaths. All the venues were great in my vague recollection but loved the black horse L-buzzard as I knew everyone and never got the horrors and the booze was cheap :( Out of the others Kelmarsh, Harborough and Wilby seemed special as I was so young and the magic seemed extra special though they all had that blockers buzz from the torch which seemed flash at the time and Bletsoe which definatly wasn,t.Anyone remember the night the back of me strides fell out from sitting in battery acid in Gareths (makyate) mini at the saints + sinners? Got quite a few piccies still of faces in them little booths at the motorway services if anyones interested. A.T.B. H.

l

Social source share

John Tappenden (RIP), myself (Paul Brennan), and Smelly George (RIP) were sound, Chiefy was, and still, a seriously dodgy geezer :yes:

That,s not very nice mate :shhh: Won,t show ya how to fish next time we meet on the bank.

Got sent this link by a mate who came across it by chance. Great to see the photos and see some of the old haunts and faces and sad to hear of some deaths. All the venues were great in my vague recollection but loved the black horse L-buzzard as I knew everyone and never got the horrors and the booze was cheap :( Out of the others Kelmarsh, Harborough and Wilby seemed special as I was so young and the magic seemed extra special though they all had that blockers buzz from the torch which seemed flash at the time and Bletsoe which definatly wasn,t.Anyone remember the night the back of me strides fell out from sitting in battery acid in Gareths (makyate) mini at the saints + sinners? Got quite a few piccies still of faces in them little booths at the motorway services if anyones interested. A.T.B. H.

l

CHIEFY ?

Yo you mother fuka, how you doing?????, been loolking for you everywhere, including Lesleys, who said ''Who the f.cks Chief'', forgot you were HB :lol: , hows the fishing :P , I'll show YOU how to fish :yes: . Send me your email/mob by PM M8, you missed a bloody good night at the George Wilby last month cause I could'nt get hold of you. Talk to you sooon dude

Paul

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

CHIEFY ?

Yo you mother fuka, how you doing?????, been loolking for you everywhere, including Lesleys, who said ''Who the f.cks Chief'', forgot you were HB :lol: , hows the fishing :P , I'll show YOU how to fish :yes: . Send me your email/mob by PM M8, you missed a bloody good night at the George Wilby last month cause I could'nt get hold of you. Talk to you sooon dude

Paul

Well fuk me Chiefy comes out of left field LOL....welllcome aboard M8T, Mark's been posting pictures of you since I dont know when, shame abourt John Tappenden, no ones confirmed his demise yet :(

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again Kimbo, I Bedford born and bred, I work with Steve P, we did actually meet and have a chat at Willington. ATB Steve

Steve(upthe junction)

Next time you see SteveP say hi to him for me and if he is a member on this site get him to pm me please, like to catch up with him, tell him Nick from Marston was asking of him :thumbsup:

cheers fella.

ps is he still in Cranfield ?

Social source share

Steve(upthe junction)

Next time you see SteveP say hi to him for me and if he is a member on this site get him to pm me please, like to catch up with him, tell him Nick from Marston was asking of him :thumbsup:

cheers fella.

ps is he still in Cranfield ?

Hi Nick,

Steve's still in cranfield, don't see him so much as we are both ex 'very little helps' employees, both made redundant in july, unfortunately he's not in the 21st century yet, don't think he has a computer. When I see him i'll pass on your regards.

ATB Steve

Social source share

John Tappenden (RIP), myself (Paul Brennan), and Smelly George (RIP) were sound, Chiefy was, and still, a seriously dodgy geezer yes.gif

That,s not very nice mate shhh.gif Won,t show ya how to fish next time we meet on the bank.

Got sent this link by a mate who came across it by chance. Great to see the photos and see some of the old haunts and faces and sad to hear of some deaths. All the venues were great in my vague recollection but loved the black horse L-buzzard as I knew everyone and never got the horrors and the booze was cheap sad.png Out of the others Kelmarsh, Harborough and Wilby seemed special as I was so young and the magic seemed extra special though they all had that blockers buzz from the torch which seemed flash at the time and Bletsoe which definatly wasn,t.Anyone remember the night the back of me strides fell out from sitting in battery acid in Gareths (makyate) mini at the saints + sinners? Got quite a few piccies still of faces in them little booths at the motorway services if anyones interested. A.T.B. H.

l

welcome to ss hope your keeping well,been intouch with paul for a few years,have you still got a full mop of hair ? take care regards johno aki john horsler

Social source share

Fek me Howard, you were thin once

So would you have been if ya tried to eat a chemist every weekend! :yes:

I was thin once as well :shhh:

Hi Nick,

Steve's still in cranfield, don't see him so much as we are both ex 'very little helps' employees, both made redundant in july, unfortunately he's not in the 21st century yet, don't think he has a computer. When I see him i'll pass on your regards.

ATB Steve

Cheers Steve, nice to know SP has not changed LOL, :lol:

Social source share

Allright John(flash if me memory seves me!)--still have a full head of hair mate though a lot of silver now. Last time I recall seeing you was introducing you to some wrong sort of geezers at the Mecca. :hatsoff2: Can ya still glide the floor bro?

Been married 28yrs believe it or not. Next time there,s a northants, beds reunion we,ll have to meet.

Am still in touch with ya old mate Greg Dimmambo. Reckon I could get him to go to a night.

Social source share

Chiefy,

There is the St.Ivo reunion in October, everyone could meet up there, I may even come out of retirement(please my brother as he is always pestering me LOL). have a look on the gig guide thing on here, think it is around the 15th, £10 a ticket I believe. Normally a cracking night although have not been for about 6 years or so.

Social source share

Allright John(flash if me memory seves me!)--still have a full head of hair mate though a lot of silver now. Last time I recall seeing you was introducing you to some wrong sort of geezers at the Mecca. :hatsoff2: Can ya still glide the floor bro?

Been married 28yrs believe it or not. Next time there,s a northants, beds reunion we,ll have to meet.

Am still in touch with ya old mate Greg Dimmambo. Reckon I could get him to go to a night.

yes i can still glid the wood floor with the help of a bit of talc lol,see you go fishing,in to carp like paul ? i am still go to soul dos when i'm home as i work away all the time have'nt been to a do for three months due to working in scotland will have to stay in touch all the best regards john

Social source share

Chiefy,

There is the St.Ivo reunion in October, everyone could meet up there, I may even come out of retirement(please my brother as he is always pestering me LOL). have a look on the gig guide thing on here, think it is around the 15th, £10 a ticket I believe. Normally a cracking night although have not been for about 6 years or so.

:hatsoff2: HI ALL PUT MY NAME ON THE GUEST LIST. HAD ME ELECTRIC OF FOR 3 DAYS, I MIGHT FLOG A FEW TUNES, GOT BUSTED GOING TO St IVES IN 76,

CHIEFY SO YOU REMEMBER THE HITCHIN LADS, SO YOU MUST KNOW SOME OFF MY OLD MATES, THEY WHERE ALL SKINHEADS IN 69, TONY THOMPSON AND A FEW OTHERS ARE WELL OF, DID YOU KNOW PAUL HULL, HE'S DOIN LIFE!

:thumbup: DAVE

Edited by dthedrug
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chiefy

Gareth, there,s some stories there! :g:

First geezer I hung out with, had his own motor.Joined the navy and when he came back weekends there semed to be bustangs a plenty.Seem to Remember D. Dare bumping into the Soho bill with some.Do you remember them Greek street nights when there was nothing else on. Jeez! La Deuce the trannie club with geezers fixing in the toilets and billie busting the place about 3-4 times a night or the blues do on the corner with the giant black geezer on the door.Gareths motor must have broke down or run out of petrol more times than??????????everytime it rained his ditrabuter was flooded--great memories--ain,t seen that face for nearly 40yrs blueten. Anyone know of him since?

Social source share

Gareth, there,s some stories there! :g:

First geezer I hung out with, had his own motor.Joined the navy and when he came back weekends there semed to be bustangs a plenty.Seem to Remember D. Dare bumping into the Soho bill with some.Do you remember them Greek street nights when there was nothing else on. Jeez! La Deuce the trannie club with geezers fixing in the toilets and billie busting the place about 3-4 times a night or the blues do on the corner with the giant black geezer on the door.Gareths motor must have broke down or run out of petrol more times than??????????everytime it rained his ditrabuter was flooded--great memories--ain,t seen that face for nearly 40yrs blueten. Anyone know of him since?

SureI've told this story elsewhere, you lot picked me up along the Dunstable Rd in John Harris's van, There was Noreen and Effner, Neil Cowley (RIP), I'm suited and booted, been to a wedding with Sue Leftley, we get to Wardour St and Neil ask old bill where the subway was, you lot are slinging gear all over the place, they jump on me, cause I had a suit on, and I get busted with 5 Bustaids, which Gareth was bringing in from Spain. Still got the charge sheet.

Social source share

SureI've told this story elsewhere, you lot picked me up along the Dunstable Rd in John Harris's van, There was Noreen and Effner, Neil Cowley (RIP), I'm suited and booted, been to a wedding with Sue Leftley, we get to Wardour St and Neil ask old bill where the subway was, you lot are slinging gear all over the place, they jump on me, cause I had a suit on, and I get busted with 5 Bustaids, which Gareth was bringing in from Spain. Still got the charge sheet.

:hatsoff2: HI TO YOU BLETSONIANS & THE LUTON BOYS,

Did you ever go into a All- night club called the La Duce? it was a all night coffee bar that you paid 5/- to get in, only to find a juke bow 3 brasses and Soho night birds, We went in one night and there were 4 flash skinheads in there, the juke box had great records on it BANG BANG LULU WET DREAM, Any way there was about 6 of us, one bloke told me he was from Kilburn, i asked him if he knew 3 fFriendsmine who were in the Wilsdon whites? he said no and he was a member of the HENDON mafia, a small firm, he said his name was Paddy O Brian, Well thats fits in with Kilburn but not with Hendon, any way after half an hour the youngest bloke with us Paul got upset because one of them started to chat him up, he was only 16, and this was 1969, it turned out that ttheLa Duce was a GAY hangout, a fight broke out and could these bloke fight as people were leaving i had to fight on me bike going up stairs, then this O Brian got a cut throat out and swiped it at my boat, i put my arm up and ssteppedhim cutting m, when i got out on the street the razor had cut through my sheepskin, suit jacket sleeve and striped me on my right arm?

just one of me SOHO adadventuresowever, O Brian and his mate, are in some skinhead fanzines that come out in the OI! PERIOD AND THTHE PICTURESRE ICONIC, i will dig them out as there is a twist to my tale??

However i raised that incident as it included the same people in this news paper article from 69.this should bring a smile to CHICHIEFYas there are a couple of BLETSOE boys in the article?? :g: by the way if you aain'tspent a night in WEST END CENTRAL you have not lived :boxing: DAVE

post-13241-0-85063100-1318029090_thumb.j

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

They,re top pictures Paul. Shows it really was just a barn! I think I,m right in thinking Bletsoe was competing 72-73 with the Torch and Junction.Makes me wonder if they hadn,t been around if it would have achieved Kelmarsh, Harbourgh status. Was packed some weekends and others I can remember there only being 50-60 there.Can remember people turning up and doing the off if they couldn,t score. Used to make me think why they didn,t get sorted before they left. Any more pics mate?

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Whats really sad for me is, and I went a few times, can't remember for the life of me

0 What it looked like inside

0 It ALWAYS looked empty, from what vague recollections I have of the place

0 Seem to remember Rocco, from Dunstable on the decks one night, with about 20 people in the place ?. (Dude in 2nd picture with glasses on end of his nose actually looks like Rocco?.)

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Whats really sad for me is, and I went a few times, can't remember for the life of me

0 What it looked like inside

That,s what,s called the early state of dementia.Your profile age definatley seems about 5yrs out from my recollection :wave:

Thing is I remember hearing about Earls Barton but was a bit young. Then there was Kelmarsh followed by Harborough which shut for a while and then saints and sinners Brum till (correct me if I,m wrong) Harborough reopened followed by Bletsoe.All these attracted pretty much the same regulars and all pulled a good weekly crowd apart from Bletsoe which varied.I can remember nights when Bletsoe pulled a decent crowd and was a good night.1972 was when the torch opened and the first venue I,d been to which was big and it seemed so much cooler than a pig farm.You also had the Junction Crewe so Bletsoe was competing with two different type of soul venues.As mentioned earlier the girls had to pee in a field till the farmer got them couple of portaloos which were practically sceptic so I dare say the girls would have preffered the northern venues just for that.Saying that if the ladies in the torch were like the gents wellies were a good idea.

Weren,t nothing wrong with the sounds at Bletsoe and the building and dancefloor had that same rural feeling as Kelmarsh. Just a shift in the scene getting more upmarket I reckon.Bet there ain,t been nothing quite like it scince.

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Mark.....do you remember Smelly going to Bletsoe?, I cant remember him ever trying to ponce a lift off me and John (Harris) to go up there. Bletsoe was after Wilby and Harborough, and I'm sure George passed on to the great Allnighter in the Sky before Bletsoe ????.

Glen Bellamy wrote a requiem for him in Blues and Soul, perhaps he'll know. George Atkinson aka 'Smelly' was a good M8 and a well known Luton face, sorley missed at the time, I remember Chiefy, who was there telling me he was pissed and dived into the river outside The Pilgrim in Bedford, nobody missed him till later as they were all pissed as well, all celebrating some football victory, probably Luton beating Watford LOL.

Sorry Westrex but I have to disagree with you about Bletsoe being brilliant, (even for the time) yes it was somewhere to have a blockup, it beat Toddington Service Station. Good music must have been played, I remember dancing, but cant remember a single tune that was played ranting_1.gif great atmosphere ,especially for us ''dodgy geezers'' who frequented the place, but the venue itself......ABSOLUTE SHITE !!!!!!, which spoilt it some what, now Wilby/Krellmarsh/Earls Barton.....they were brilliant !!!!!.

Yeah, Alf Billingham, I actually did know that :wave: , I stll have the Blues and Soul issue referred to my earlier post, Would you believe? :)

Social source share

HI TONY HOWYOUDOIN! AIN'T SEEN YOU FOR OVER 3 YEARS, HOPE YOU ARE ALL KEEPING GOOD, IT SEEMS THAT THERE IS SOME EVENT ON EVERY WEEK BDOWN IN BED, DID YOU GO TO THE WILBY REUNION THIS WEEKEND? AND WHAT IS THE BEST EVENT ON WHERE EVERY ONE GOES, AND DONT GET POLITICLE, DID YOU GET A COPY OF THAT REGAL HITCHIN POSTER?? :ohmy: Mr KILWORTH

hi dave, sorry for late reply, l'm fine thanx. No, l didn't go to the wilby re-union as l was deejaying in Cambridge (yes, still deejaying)

Can't really name a best venue to be honest, but l like the a/niters run by Sian & Dean Dowset at the Benn Hall in Rugby and also the

soul-nites held at Cambridge City FC run by Mick & Karen Janes.

Haven't got a copy of that poster at the REGAL in Hitchin yet, but some guy in JAPAN bought a copy of it for £10 (mind boggling)

Anyway, hope all is well for you & family, keep in touch. best wishes Tony Warot

Social source share

Hi Mark.....do you remember Smelly going to Bletsoe?, I cant remember him ever trying to ponce a lift off me and John (Harris) to go up there. Bletsoe was after Wilby and Harborough, and I'm sure George passed on to the great Allnighter in the Sky before Bletsoe ????.

Glen Bellamy wrote a requiem for him in Blues and Soul, perhaps he'll know. George Atkinson aka 'Smelly' was a good M8 and a well known Luton face, sorley missed at the time, I remember Chiefy, who was there telling me he was pissed and dived into the river outside The Pilgrim in Bedford, nobody missed him till later as they were all pissed as well, all celebrating some football victory, probably Luton beating Watford LOL.

Sorry Westrex but I have to disagree with you about Bletsoe being brilliant, (even for the time) yes it was somewhere to have a blockup, it beat Toddington Service Station. Good music must have been played, I remember dancing, but cant remember a single tune that was played ranting_1.gif great atmosphere ,especially for us ''dodgy geezers'' who frequented the place, but the venue itself......ABSOLUTE SHITE !!!!!!, which spoilt it some what, now Wilby/Krellmarsh/Earls Barton.....they were brilliant !!!!!.

Yeah, Alf Billingham, I actually did know that :wave: , I stll have the Blues and Soul issue referred to my earlier post, Would you believe? :)

hi paul, to be honest with you, l can't really remember much about the atmosphere either cos l spent most of the time outside or at the entrance

talking about nothing in particular to people like GIBBY and TILLEY (keith tilson from bedford)

You probably won't remember me but we actually met on the 2nd of december 1972 at the california ballroom watching MAJOR LANCE

we were right down at the front of the stage shouting at him to sing YOU DON'T WANT ME NO MORE, INVESTIGATE and AIN'T NO SOUL,

l remember him singing KNOCK ON WOOD and when he got to the hookline of the song, he'd point the microphone at somebody at the front

and they'd have to sing, "I'M GONNA KNOCK ba ba ba ba, ON WOOD BAYBEEE" sometime after that, in early '73, we were going to the

CATACOMBS in the back of Johnny Harris's thames van, we got there just in time for the last hour. Two girls from Gloucester asked him for

a lift to the M5 motorway at closing time, he took em to HIGH WYCOMBE train station instead. the 2 girls in question were ALISON GRECHE

and CHRISTINE ??? l got a lift home with Grahame Crook cos there wasn't enough room for all of US, and the girls.

Anyway, best wishes to you paul, maybe we could meet up some time, Tony Warot. AKA Westrex.

Social source share

hi paul, to be honest with you, l can't really remember much about the atmosphere either cos l spent most of the time outside or at the entrance

talking about nothing in particular to people like GIBBY and TILLEY (keith tilson from bedford)

You probably won't remember me but we actually met on the 2nd of december 1972 at the california ballroom watching MAJOR LANCE

we were right down at the front of the stage shouting at him to sing YOU DON'T WANT ME NO MORE, INVESTIGATE and AIN'T NO SOUL,

l remember him singing KNOCK ON WOOD and when he got to the hookline of the song, he'd point the microphone at somebody at the front

and they'd have to sing, "I'M GONNA KNOCK ba ba ba ba, ON WOOD BAYBEEE" sometime after that, in early '73, we were going to the

CATACOMBS in the back of Johnny Harris's thames van, we got there just in time for the last hour. Two girls from Gloucester asked him for

a lift to the M5 motorway at closing time, he took em to HIGH WYCOMBE train station instead. the 2 girls in question were ALISON GRECHE

and CHRISTINE ??? l got a lift home with Grahame Crook cos there wasn't enough room for all of US, and the girls.

Anyway, best wishes to you paul, maybe we could meet up some time, Tony Warot. AKA Westrex.

WELL, as I was there, at the Calais....thye man;s band did not know Monkey Time and the Major cou'ld.nt remember it((someone from the Bedford crew who were there back me up please) Investigate/Aint no soul....we did not know these tunes, they came later.

Tony, go to Pemberton on the 10/12....we can to have a chat, Blueten AND Graham Crooke will be there as well so it'll be a good night to reminisce :thumbup:

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

WELL, as I was there, at the Calais....thye man;s band did not know Monkey Time and the Major cou'ld.nt remember it((someone from the Bedford crew who were there back me up please) Investigate/Aint no soul....we did not know these tunes, they came later.

Tony, go to Pemberton on the 10/12....we can to have a chat, Blueten AND Graham Crooke will be there as well so it'll be a good night to reminisce :thumbup:

hi paul, well as l AM from bedford, l can back you up by saying that you're right, the band weren't clued up at all. l live in huntingdon now but can't

guarantee makin' it to pemberton centre, will try my best.

PS. it's 39 yrs yesterday that major lance recorded that album at the torch. 9th December 1972

best wishes, tony warot.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

PS. it's 39 yrs yesterday that major lance recorded that album at the torch. 9th December 1972

best wishes, tony warot.

BLOODY GOODNIGHT TOO !!!! AND I HAVE THE ALBUM :yes:

Social source share

• 3 months later...
Guest manusf3a

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....After 40 years the talk of the early days of the rare soul scene is still about the subject of stimulants, and how essentsial they where, to make a venue into a classic night, and the fondness that we still talk about then,

Having studied at degree level, All conections between DRUG sub cultures and underground music scenes, that have evolved since the late 50s. The rare soul scene is the only one that openly acknowlages the subject of the importance that DRUG use played in the early days,

As we all get closer to pension age? do you think that our euthoric recall of stimulant use, is good or a bad thing? is talk about green & clears, red & browns, brown & clears. black & whites. black bombers, blues & dex as exciteing as talking about green & white, red & white, yellow DEMOS, OR are they the same, also did this part of the scene cause any permanant harm, as I still use the product today, what is your current opinion of the subject, and are your opinions on the subject of stimulant use, and how has it changed, or have you substituted it with legal drugs like alcholl?

Do you think that certain DRUGS for some poeple should be prescribed? :thumbup: DAVE

post-13241-0-32218100-1312223098_thumb.j

Answer yes,Thing is the dexys are all you can get these days they stopped doing black and whites ages ago and thats the last cap I knew of that was being prescribed(or nicked,usually nicked)the doctors I knew from some years back would give duaphet with physeptone,at the moment I know a few getting dex on script one bloke over in lincs gets 35 a day of a doctor for addiction,he seems ok on them(thats the biggest script I know.A doctor in wellingborough around 82 83 used to give me 30 blck bombers a week with a couple of hundred phy pills but the filth stamped on him after a coupl of years ,bastar5ds as he wasnt breaking any laws ,he had about twenty people on his books.Yes fucking right people should be prescribed,they always had a big no no for prescribing amphets to folk back in the early seveties unless you weighed about forty fucking stone.Look at what alcohol does every week in the town centres,birds with their skirts round the waist knickers showing who along with the lads are punching f*ck out of each other in public display doing what we would of got five years for worth of violence to each other.9not that we never fought but so blatantly in full view of the filth that was a no no.Im only glad to say I knew the days of opening the box back then to be confronted by a multitude of different types of dubes especially some of the old stock.
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

Answer yes,Thing is the dexys are all you can get these days they stopped doing black and whites ages ago and thats the last cap I knew of that was being prescribed(or nicked,usually nicked)the doctors I knew from some years back would give duaphet with physeptone,at the moment I know a few getting dex on script one bloke over in lincs gets 35 a day of a doctor for addiction,he seems ok on them(thats the biggest script I know.A doctor in wellingborough around 82 83 used to give me 30 blck bombers a week with a couple of hundred phy pills but the filth stamped on him after a coupl of years ,bastar5ds as he wasnt breaking any laws ,he had about twenty people on his books.Yes fucking right people should be prescribed,they always had a big no no for prescribing amphets to folk back in the early seveties unless you weighed about forty fucking stone.Look at what alcohol does every week in the town centres,birds with their skirts round the waist knickers showing who along with the lads are punching f*ck out of each other in public display doing what we would of got five years for worth of violence to each other.9not that we never fought but so blatantly in full view of the filth that was a no no.Im only glad to say I knew the days of opening the box back then to be confronted by a multitude of different types of dubes especially some of the old stock.

PS DAVE i HAVE STUDIED TO DEGREE LEVEL ALSO IN PYCHOLOGY GETTING AN UPPER SECOND HONOURS AND HAVE SEEN LOADS OF RESEARCH ON ADDICTION AND NOT JUST FROM MY PERSONAL BIAS i SAY ,UNLESS AN EXTREMELY GOOD REASON NOT TO SCRIPT ON AN INDIVIDUAL LEVEL DO IT.
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

l knew noreen and effner and what about jackie jenessi knew her as well.....the hotel was the pilgrims. green and clears came in two sizes 7.5 mg and 12mg.....similar for brown and clears

Ah brown and clears Terry,the first caps I ever had I bought ten from Ivan just after my 16th birthday ,"Take about 3 or 4 ",he said ,I ate all ten and spent the next two days and nights fooking zonked o.Did you know tha that a doctor from wellingborough was given out 30 black bombers a week on script to people for years,Gilly kept it under his hat but had been going there from about 75 onwards so he said ,eventualy he told me and a few others,mick caine,lenny so we went over there in about 82 a.I had a good couiple of years out of him till the plod put pressure on him,he was based at gold st next door to the infamous but bountiful chemist.
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

I know you lot always called him Smelly, but to me he will always be "Big George; King Of Kelmarsh" who got me my first doobs, five black bombers for 50p.

I think he died well after Bletsoe, but I wasn't from the Beds area. Bletsoe was great because it was so amateur and ad hoc, it felt really naughty!

Now what about Saints and Sinners in Birmingham which was full of our crowd and one cool Brummie called Slip. I've got some great photos of there with Phil West from Rothwell; it was a he'll of a joint.

Iwas to young for the saints and sinners but in around the eighties lived in rothwell with my ex mrs just round the corner from Phil he found out Iwas opening canteens after hours and I had a few transactions with him,good bloke you should of seen the look on his face when I told him I had some bombers and green and browns among other things,phil I believe was the black sheep of his pretty well of family but used to run a scaffold business and liked staying awake at night and having some lets say x rated parties at his house.Last saw him oh must be twenty so years ago when he gave me a lift to Peterborough.Do you know he never ever mentioned about any places like Bletsoe etc.Wonder what hes doing these days?
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

There were lots of great Corby girls. Liz was the pill expert, had a copy of Mimms at her gaff. I was smitten by Cathryn & Liz and still have all nighter letters from them, written on a Monday to me at uni, telling me all about their weekend up north.

Iwas to young for bletsoe but remember lads going from corby as I used to go the north park over in kettering when I was 13 and rember the torch starting but got borstal a month after my 15th birthday(always been well behaved)but later on got to know who Liz was as she was Mick Caines r.i.p (snottys)cousin and he went out with her mate Gill.There used to be loads of people from corby going in those days I think from what I can recall her interest in caps and pills was still alive (got reignited)around 75 76 for various reasons.
Social source share

Guest manusf3a

hi paul, well as l AM from bedford, l can back you up by saying that you're right, the band weren't clued up at all. l live in huntingdon now but can't

guarantee makin' it to pemberton centre, will try my best.

best wishes, tony warot.

That major lance album helped me get through a borstal sentence ,I had just turned fifteen and ended up in borstal among all the crap of the place you were allowed two lp records that you could keep in your locker and play in the record room during association.Before going there I had been to the North Park in kettering quite a lot and loads of lads from Corby were going to the torch including good mates from later on Wilky etc and I really liked soul (who wouldnt.Lots of records got played localy then,the shakers,bob and earl,contours etc.I rember when I had been there some time and was eligible for the two record thing I used to have a copy of blues and soul sent in and in the record reviews was the Major Lance thing along with that Ric Tic relics album with the attempt to turn mono into stereo business on it.Anyway I had my Mum order them and have them sent in,fooking magic ,the borstal was down past London but theirn was two manc lads in for doing chemists and we used to dance to these two albums in the record room over and over with the other inmates sitting looking and murmuring.Thing is one of the manc lads was hard as f*ck so no one would say anything to us.Lots did want to mind you as all their record choices were a range from Led Zep to a pop roup of the time called and they really were "Mud".Yes those two records made a really shit time in my life just about bearable so thanks to Al Kent ,The San Remo strings etc and of course the um ah um,um ah um other bloke!
Social source share

• 1 year later...
Guest xr8ed4d

attachicon.gifme & doug.jpgHi Paul.Was a great night! Here"s a "BLOCK" of three with Doug looking in the epitomy of health unsure.png

I must admit I do look pretty healthy eh.Forgot how long my hair was back then.A lot shorter and plenty of grey now.

Social source share

Guest xr8ed4d

This was taken about 73 at The Black Horse.Girl on far right is Caroline(John Tappendens other half)Cant remember who the girl is that is talking to her but I know she died from an OD. Can anyone name the bloke who is standing to the right of Bob Cosby who DJd there along with John Turner?attachicon.gifcosby.jpg

Don't know if you got an answer to your question about the guy in the middle next to bob cosby. His name is steve petrizen( not sure about the spelling of the surname)He lived in Dunstable.He was the only person I knew that got "blues" on script.Hope this helps.

Social source share

Don't know if you got an answer to your question about the guy in the middle next to bob cosby. His name is steve petrizen( not sure about the spelling of the surname)He lived in Dunstable.He was the only person I knew that got "blues" on script.Hope this helps.

Hi Mate.i took the photo and the girl talking to Caroline was called Liz who died not long after this was taken....Mark.

Social source share

I must admit I do look pretty healthy eh.Forgot how long my hair was back then.A lot shorter and plenty of grey now.

Hi Doug. How the fech are ya Me ol mate Kimbo just said you pmd him.be great to catch up wiiv you again....Mark. W.

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest manusf3a

Liz Middleton and Maggot,Leo more cambridge faces from back then,Georgina of course,met up with her last year after thirty years,a true one off mould broken when born top lass.Had some really good times and laughs ,she went out with Ivan for a time and lived in Norwich across the road from Keith Harpur r.i.p bless him,Quite a few chemists got libererated during that spell in Norwich,I left with the squad on my tail and hadnt seen Georgina since then,shes just the same.Saw Ivan the other night night at a nighter,good to see him again,not many left of the crew  alive now sad to say.My old mate Mick Gavin r.i.p bless him a true night person if there ever was one used to say about the Bletsoe days and had memories of the high times had by all,miss ya Mick as I do the others.Theres been so many massive personalities on the scene from all over the country.

Edited by manusf3a
Social source share

• 2 years later...
On 1/4/2010 at 00:16, bunty said:

Phil didnt marry Sonia Nicholls, Steve Geoghan, his brother did.I used to Know Dick Impey, used to work with Pedro, and Giovanni was one of my best mates for years. Same for Fred (whose real name was Micheal Kulenitcz...I`ve probably spelled that wrong; they were twins....non identical.....children of Ukranian immigrants. I remember Heinz Bandorski as well. Think his old man was a farmer or something, he used to bury his gear in ploughed fields and the forget were to dig it up! Mark Collins and Maggot and me were real tight in those days. MARK GOODMAN.

so

On 1/4/2010 at 00:16, bunty said:

No deffo Phil, I don't think I know his brotherunsure.gif did you know dick Impey or Norman Rogers or Giovanni?

Social source share

On 4/21/2012 at 12:36, manusf3a said:

In the 70`s,74 to be exact I used to get 35 blues a day from Dr Muller at Benet Place in Cambridge.  Trouble with speed is it drives you nuts taking it every day for any length of time....Paranoia weight loss etc etc. I`ve known people who`ve been on heroin or Physeptone for decades, but I only Knew one speed freak who took dex every day for years who didn`t crack up. Mark Goodman.

Social source share

On 19 August 2008 at 08:24, gordon russell said:

hello toby, bloody cheek,me and tony parker used to run the CASTAWAYS at souldrop...carl fortnum used to dj for us as well as northants top dj CLIFF STEELE

Still have a flyer and/or a ticket for either Xmas Eve or NYE at Castaways.....burger van outside as well.  Top night.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Reading your posts.  Gibby is still spinning in northants.  Glean  Bellamay is doing plenty locally.  Bletsoe was last year in a hall there think there's a blue plaque.......st ives is on  this October with Glenn Bellamay. ....  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!