Bletsoe Allnighters

Guest martyn

Guest martyn

Before my time on the scene ,I'm told there were nighters held in Bletsoe (on the A6 in Bedfordshire).Ive been working near there of late & can't for the life of me think of a more unlikely village to cater for a soul do ! :rolleyes:

So,

1.Did they really happen ?

2.What year?

3.Where exactly in the village?

4.What were they like?

Just curious like ! Any stories ?

Thanks

Social source share

Before my time on the scene ,I'm told there were nighters held in Bletsoe (on the A6 in Bedfordshire).Ive been working near there of late & can't for the life of me think of a more unlikely village to cater for a soul do ! :rolleyes:

So,

2.What year?

4.What were they like?

Thanks

I have been told by well known soul people these nighters DID go on,ask Ady Croasdell he went to them as far as i can recall,also maybe Glen Belamy he once mentioned them to me,

Ona different take of the A6 theres a place called SOULDROP yes its a village,it used to have a nightclub called Castaways between Bedford/ rushden they used to hold a great soul night in here run by Dave Chase if i recall,i still have some old flyers from the day,ill try and dig them out and scan for you.

As far as Bletsoe goes yes it is true they had nighters there..

Social source share

I have been told by well known soul people these nighters DID go on,ask Ady Croasdell he went to them as far as i can recall,also maybe Glen Belamy he once mentioned them to me,

Ona different take of the A6 theres a place called SOULDROP yes its a village,it used to have a nightclub called Castaways between Bedford/ rushden they used to hold a great soul night in here run by Dave Chase if i recall,i still have some old flyers from the day,ill try and dig them out and scan for you.

A recent member on here Malc Gibbons (Gibby) was responsible for my introduction to the scene at the George Inn, Wilby, Northants, in the late 60's. I think he also DJ'd at Bletsoe as well as niters at Earls Barton and Kelmarsh (where I believe Ady first got into the scene).

I can only speak of the Earls Barton niter which was in a smallish hall that was part of the greyhound track and some distance from the village itself. I think most niters of that early era were in small and remote places and a bugger to find.

The squad knew where they were though, and roadblocks/searches/raids were not too uncommon. I even remember being in a car that was peppered with shotgun pellets by the motorbike boys that lay in ambush in the hedgerows.

Happy days! biggrin.gif

Social source share

A recent member on here Malc Gibbons (Gibby) was responsible for my introduction to the scene at the George Inn, Wilby, Northants, in the late 60's. I think he also DJ'd at Bletsoe as well as niters at Earls Barton and Kelmarsh (where I believe Ady first got into the scene).

I can only speak of the Earls Barton niter which was in a smallish hall that was part of the greyhound track and some distance from the village itself. I think most niters of that early era were in small and remote places and a bugger to find.

The squad knew where they were though, and roadblocks/searches/raids were not too uncommon. I even remember being in a car that was peppered with shotgun pellets by the motorbike boys that lay in ambush in the hedgerows.

Happy days! biggrin.gif

Late 60s????!!!!...my dad told me he remembered you at the Flamingo during the late 50s...when Georgie Fame was just a boy scout!!!!!!....Delxxxx

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Yes it did exist ....I went once only before it got shut down,went with a mate of mine who's not on the scene at all these days.It was held in a farmers barn and one of the dj's was GLENN BELLAMY from kettering.We used to go to the Nags Head in wollaston and thats how l managed my one and only visit,l was very young at that time,don't remember much....had 5 blues though. tezza

Social source share

Guest martyn

Thanks for all the replies,

Toby-I know about the Castaways mate , we know each other from those days (& before) yes.gif

Kevinkent-I went to The George at Wilby when it re-opened for soul nights in the late 70s,dont remember much about it though.Was it held upstairs in a long room with the bar at one end or have I got the wrong place?

Tezza-What year was it you went to Bletsoe mate ?

Social source share

Toby-I know about the Castaways mate , we know each other from those days (& before) yes.gif

Kevinkent-I went to The George at Wilby when it re-opened for soul nights in the late 70s,dont remember much about it though.Was it held upstairs in a long room with the bar at one end or have I got the wrong place?

Martyn, that sounds like Wilby, used to go up wooden steps out the back to a long room above some sort of barn attached to the pub. I don't remember there being a bar at one end though - either that was new or I'd never noticed it as I never felt the need for alcoholic stimulation :ohmy:

I didn't know that it re-opened in the late 70's either, but by that time I was in the army and had left the area.

Did revisit the place one Sunday lunch in the 80's, just to show the missus. Had a nice conversation with the landlord: "You'd never believe the reputation this place used to have, terrible, all sorts went on here..."

"Oh really?" laugh.gif

Damn, you've really got me wondering about that bar. g.gif

-Kev.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Martyn, that sounds like Wilby, used to go up wooden steps out the back to a long room above some sort of barn attached to the pub. I don't remember there being a bar at one end though - either that was new or I'd never noticed it as I never felt the need for alcoholic stimulation :ohmy:

I didn't know that it re-opened in the late 70's either, but by that time I was in the army and had left the area.

Did revisit the place one Sunday lunch in the 80's, just to show the missus. Had a nice conversation with the landlord: "You'd never believe the reputation this place used to have, terrible, all sorts went on here..."

"Oh really?" laugh.gif

Damn, you've really got me wondering about that bar. g.gif

-Kev.

Thats it Kev,you went up the stairs outside .I recon it was the summer of 78 or 79 it reopened for a couple of nights.We all went on to the Fleet after I think.The bar was a little counter in the corner if my memory serves me well.Apart from that I remember nothing apart from Hammy & Sam were playing the tunes......I think.

Social source share

Thats it Kev,you went up the stairs outside .I recon it was the summer of 78 or 79 it reopened for a couple of nights.We all went on to the Fleet after I think.The bar was a little counter in the corner if my memory serves me well.Apart from that I remember nothing apart from Hammy & Sam were playing the tunes......I think.

Hi martin how ya doin. An old mate and my first manager Dick Ekins (r.i.p) from Rushden was a bit of a face around that time , he was a regular at Bletso,he told me it was on a farm and if my memory of his tales is correct you went thru a caravan? and the dance part was in disused pig sheds. I Went to the george in the 80's.Dick Ekins was on the door at Earls Barton dog track. He also went on about the Red house on the A5, and the Gaff at Banbury. Cut my teeth at the Nag motown club in 71 that place had a hell of a rep if you were local that garenteed me wanting to go! Not widly known that northants played a big part in soul/ niter early years also Northants was the first county to get a drug squad!!!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest malc gibbons

hi to all fellow soulies the questions asked obout the george in wilby .yes it was upstairs in a barn above the garages and there was a bar to the right as you came in the door,and the answer about bletsoe ,yes it was in a old pig shed just before the falcon pub on the a6. i hope i have answered some of your questions

Social source share

If 60's All Nighter nostalgia is your bag, and in particular the Bletsoe event, this may be of interest. Not far from the sight of the original All Nighter is a spanking newish venue called the Sharnbrook Hotel (Vesuvio Restaurant). First night (fairly commercial, but will play to the floor) on Saturday 24th October 8pm-2am. Mainline DJ Glen Bellamy (satisfaction guaranteed). How about making it a Bletsoe revival night? Karl & Marco + Steve "Pembo" Brown will make it a night to remember! I recall Gibby at the Wilby nights in the 60's, ( if you Gibby and Mick Murphy are up for it, love to see you both as well). Wilby had an atmosphere like you cannot believe, mods, scooters, pills, fabulous looking birds, and the greatest soul music this side of heaven. It was definitely the place to be on a Friday night circa 1967. I think I met my missus there, but I forgave Gibby long ago. Let's unite on this scene and drive forward the greatest dance music in the world. We have to give the paying punters what THEY want, not what WE want!

Mick Murphy - another fine DJ from my youth!

Would love to make this if it turns into a reunion but I'm doing a spot at the Swiss niter in Lucerne.

Let us know how it goes and we'll try and make a future date. In a hotel too, so won't have to drive back to Kent.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

I did the Bletsoe thing infact it was my first ever nighter. Went down there with Eddie Din, Mick Veetman and Terry Tibbs, stone dance floor and powered by a gennie outside :P

I understand it had two lives and after closing in 1971 it resurfaced again early 72 and carried on for a good 6 to 9 months, Glen Bellamy resident, some Black geezer from Wellingborough (Delbert) plus guests, indeed Alan Day would play Bletsoe buy records of those ITK and trundle back to the Torch for a late spot to play his new aqusistions.

Although I was always on planet Zog for the durtaion of the weekend I recall The Olympics-The same old thing, The Vibrations - Suprise Party, The Millionaires - Never for me, and a thing by Sebatsian William called Shucks on Cottiliion which I don't think Ive heard anyone play since, in fact Ive forgotten how it goes, which is in all probability a clear indication it was shyte.

Very, happy days.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Toby-I know about the Castaways mate , we know each other from those days (& before) :P

hello fella, not to sure on this one.....fuzzy memory lol 70/71 l was only a kid and had just started going out.used to live in wellingborough in those days....funny old world just been in contact with some of my old w,boro pals from the 70's who are gonna do a little job for me.

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I did the Bletsoe thing infact it was my first ever nighter. Went down there with Eddie Din, Mick Veetman and Terry Tibbs, stone dance floor and powered by a gennie outside :P

I understand it had two lives and after closing in 1971 it resurfaced again early 72 and carried on for a good 6 to 9 months, Glen Bellamy resident, some Black geezer from Wellingborough (Delbert) plus guests, indeed Alan Day would play Bletsoe buy records of those ITK and trundle back to the Torch for a late spot to play his new aqusistions.

Although I was always on planet Zog for the durtaion of the weekend I recall The Olympics-The same old thing, The Vibrations - Suprise Party, The Millionaires - Never for me, and a thing by Sebatsian William called Shucks on Cottiliion which I don't think Ive heard anyone play since, in fact Ive forgotten how it goes, which is in all probability a clear indication it was shyte.

Very, happy days.

delbert brown

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

hello toby, bloody cheek,me and tony parker used to run the CASTAWAYS at souldrop...carl fortnum used to dj for us as well as northants top dj CLIFF STEELE

Social source share

Guest martyn

Hi martin how ya doin. An old mate and my first manager Dick Ekins (r.i.p) from Rushden was a bit of a face around that time , he was a regular at Bletso,he told me it was on a farm and if my memory of his tales is correct you went thru a caravan? and the dance part was in disused pig sheds. I Went to the george in the 80's.Dick Ekins was on the door at Earls Barton dog track. He also went on about the Red house on the A5, and the Gaff at Banbury. Cut my teeth at the Nag motown club in 71 that place had a hell of a rep if you were local that garenteed me wanting to go! Not widly known that northants played a big part in soul/ niter early years also Northants was the first county to get a drug squad!!!

Hi mate,thanks for the info,I've always wondered what these places were like in there heyday (born 5 years to late !).The Nags had a reutation that stretched for miles ,I remember telling my Dad I'd been for a pint & a meet there long after 71.He nearly spat his teeth out,my Mums familly were from Wolaston so he'd heard :thumbsup:

Social source share

hello toby, bloody cheek,me and tony parker used to run the CASTAWAYS at souldrop...carl fortnum used to dj for us as well as northants top dj CLIFF STEELE

Hi Terry,i never knew the organisers,but my point of contact was Dave Chase he used to sell us the tickets,soooooorrrrryyyy.

So if it was you and Tony Parker i then blame you two for the downfall of me(shame on you two) :thumbsup: .I must admit mind you i enjoyed these night......they were good wer'nt they!!!.

The site of the Castaways is flattened now,shame about that eh !

appologies to Terry & Co..

Toby..

Social source share

Sorry should read 8th November atNorthampton RFC, 24th is Norwich City Football Club- Glen Bellamy is DJ'ing there too!

:( 8th November is an anniversary nite for my own do.

Haven't seen Mick Murphy for 20 years or so - last time was at Northampton RFC. For old times sake I'd be interested to hear of anywhere else he's on.

Hope the nite goes well and I'll pass the info on to my brother and his mates who are still up that way. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Hi Terry,i never knew the organisers,but my point of contact was Dave Chase he used to sell us the tickets,soooooorrrrryyyy.

So if it was you and Tony Parker i then blame you two for the downfall of me(shame on you two) :thumbsup: .I must admit mind you i enjoyed these night......they were good wer'nt they!!!.

The site of the Castaways is flattened now,shame about that eh !

appologies to Terry & Co..

Toby..

ha ha,....dave used to keep the ticket money lol :(

Social source share

• 1 year later...

Before my time on the scene ,I'm told there were nighters held in Bletsoe (on the A6 in Bedfordshire).Ive been working near there of late & can't for the life of me think of a more unlikely village to cater for a soul do ! unsure.gif

So,

2.What year?

4.What were they like?

Thanks

Well theres a coincidence, not been on here for a while, just updated the 'Records in the pop charts thread, and mentioned dancing to Chairmen of the board at Wilby and Kelmarsh.

Then I see Bletsoe/kelmarsh/Wilby all togeather.

Yep, I remember Gibby well, I took a copy of 'Oh how happy' the Shades of Blue on Sue to the George having just aquired it, I dont think there were any sounds at the time Gibby did'nt have although the biggest were probably Nothing can stop me, You've been cheating, Monkey time, Fife Piper and Twine Time.

Anyway the Bletsoe allnighter was in barn, with straw on the floor, yes really, I did'nt personally go that many times, it was a barsteward to get to and I did'nt drive, all available funds went into sounds and stimulants at the time, dont actually remember who DJ'd at Bletsoe, Glen Bellamy is the most likley suspect, although I do remember little Rocco, who knocked around with Duggy Howlett, having a spell on decks one night as he promptly initated a dance competition and me sitting down at the mention as my paranoia was extreme at the time, I certainly dont remember Gibby ever DJ'ing there, but then I was usually away on planet Zogg and could'nt remember much of anything.

Last time I saw Gibby was in Soul Sense,a long shut record outlet in Luton, about 22 years ago. I had my boy, who was about 4 att he time926 now!!!!) with me, the boy was sitting on the counter while I paid for the only album I ever bought in there, an Ian Levine Motor City album, and the boy started tapping on an album which was on the counter, the guy who was buying said album, by a female artist was not impressed, he had a rather bouffont hair style and I did not recognize him, although he said he came from Northampton, it was'nt till later I realised it had been Gibby.....the last time I'd seen him had been years earlier at Wilby/Kelmarsh....and we were all raving skinheads at the time.

Ady Croadsdell I know, both from Bletsoe and the old Market Harborough allnighters, and yes M8 I'll get to 100 club eventually, hopefully before I'm 70, I'm 60 now and still collect, (last sound off ebay was Shop around The Miracles on the London label), those of you who frequented the aforementioned establishments will know me as Paul Brennan, other faces were Chiefy, John Harris, Simon, Greg Dimambro, John Horsler(from Pontefract), Jim Clark, Jackie Stringer, Paul Kettles and his lady Jerry, John Tappenden, Linda Watts and her m8 Davina from Rushden and Mark Woodfine from Bletchley...just to name a fewshades.gif

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

post-13241-12622296512779_thumb.jpgboxing.gif Hi you carrot crunchers I went to some of these Doo,s

With me old mate Chris("T-LEAF")Gallard use to do some business with Tilly & land up around Jon&Carolines drum in Carding ton, do any of you remember the BLACK HORSE in L/Buzzard 72 or did you know John Wilkes & LEGS from Cambridge 68 to 72 used to drink in the Student Prince?...and what happened to Georgina from Cambridge she was great fun.. and for the record Dave Chase knows nothing as I was there 1stph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

post-13241-12622296512779_thumb.jpgboxing.gif Hi you carrot crunchers I went to some of these Doo,s

With me old mate Chris("T-LEAF")Gallard use to do some business with Tilly & land up around Jon&Carolines drum in Carding ton, do any of you remember the BLACK HORSE in L/Buzzard 72 or did you know John Wilkes & LEGS from Cambridge 68 to 72 used to drink in the Student Prince?...and what happened to Georgina from Cambridge she was great fun.. and for the record Dave Chase knows nothing as I was there 1stph34r.gif DAVE KIL

I remember Georgina... good.gif what about Heinz and Pedro :thumbsup: from Cambridge?

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

The Black horse....now you're talking....ALL the Luton squad used to live there at one time, big sounds were Love you baby, Our Love is in pocket, Johnny Sayles, Soul Satisfaction, was more like a mini Catacombs at the time, (I still talk to Bob Cosby as he worked at Vauxhall Luton, same as me) do you remember the night Chiefy got totally pissed for free as no one was behind the bar. Bob Cosby and Jonn Turner ran the gaff, I'm talking the period 71/73 when the Black Horse was originally started by Bob and John.

John (Tappenden) and Caroline is who you are presumably talking about?, only went round there a couple of times there was meself, John Harris, Dougy Howlett, must have been about 1974....at this time John had moved on to some very silly gear, know what I mean.....I take it JT still lives in Bedford?, not seen him for years and years.

The other people you mention, stick up some pictures, the old grey matter's not that good with names these days.

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

The Black horse....now you're talking....ALL the Luton squad used to live there at one time, big sounds were Love you baby, Our Love is in pocket, Johnny Sayles, Soul Satisfaction, was more like a mini Catacombs at the time, (I still talk to Bob Cosby as he worked at Vauxhall Luton, same as me) do you remember the night Chiefy got totally pissed for free as no one was behind the bar. Bob Cosby and Jonn Turner ran the gaff, I'm talking the period 71/73 when the Black Horse was originally started by Bob and John.

John (Tappenden) and Caroline is who you are presumably talking about?, only went round there a couple of times there was meself, John Harris, Dougy Howlett, must have been about 1974....at this time John had moved on to some very silly gear, know what I mean.....I take it JT still lives in Bedford?, not seen him for years and years.

The other people you mention, stick up some pictures, the old grey matter's not that good with names these days.

hatsoff2.gif IT,S ALL COMING BACK TO ME AS WE USED THE GRANADA (M1) AS THE MEET AND GO TO THESE ALL=NIGHTERS I CANT REMEMBER THE NAMES BUT 1 HAD CHICKEN WIRE ON THE DANCE AREA?? THE BLACK HORSE HAD NO HEATING AND THE SOUNDS PLAYED ARE ALL CLASSICS MEL WILLIAMS & THE HESITATIONS ALONG WITH MICK AT THE DIVE BAR LIFE WAS GOOD WELL HAPPY NEW YEAR ph34r.gif

Social source share

I remember Georgina... good.gif what about Heinz and Pedro whistling.gif from Cambridge?

Pedro was a very good friend of mine, heinz too! Georgina married Joe Wilkes... I can't believe you know all of my friends.. eg Skip, Tony etc. yet we don't know each other?excl.gif strange world of northern soul eh,... mind you hypo.gif I was normally unaware of where I was most of the time! let alone who was there!!laugh.gif

Social source share

Pedro was a very good friend of mine, heinz too! Georgina married Joe Wilkes... I can't believe you know all of my friends.. eg Skip, Tony etc. yet we don't know each other?excl.gif strange world of northern soul eh,... mind you hypo.gif I was normally unaware of where I was most of the time! let alone who was there!!laugh.gif

hatsoff2.gif JO WILKES WAS PRETTY TASTY IN THE MOD SENCE AND HE HAD A GOOD REPUTATION AND LEGS USE TO HAVE A WHEEL CHAIR? BACK IN 68/9 WE USED TO GO TO THE DOT IN CAMBRIDGE THIS IS IN THE BOVVER BOY PERIOD AS IN LETCHWORTH THERE WAS NOTHING, SO TRAVELING TO PLACES WAS COMMON PLACE FOR ME AND THE TRAIN RAN FROM CAMBRIDGE TO KINGS CROSS SO ANY WHERE WAS EASY TO GET TO, HOWEVER MOST TIMES I WOULD USE MY SCOOTER A TV 175 SERIES 3 FAST NO IT WAS REALY FAST, JOE WAS A GOOD SUPLYER OF CAPS AND WELL KNOW BY MY COUSEN MARIA AND JOAN BRADSHAW AS THE HAD HANDBAGS FULL OF BLACK AND WHITES THAT THEY GOT OF HIM AFTER A FEW FIGHTS WITH THE CAMBRIDE LADS IN 699/70 WE MADE PEACE AT THE GRANADA SERVICES ALONG WITH THE LUTON HEMEL HATFIELD CROWD BUT THE CREW FROM LETCHWORTH& HITCHIN HAD THE HARDEST REPUTATION AND ALWAYS WERE THE TOP CREW AS EVERY ONE WAS A VILLAN AND NEVER BOTTLED IT, I MET GOERGINA A FEW YEARS LATER AT WIGAN I THINK? AND I HAVE FORGOT HIS NAME HE CAME FROM EITHER CHERRY HINTON OR SAWSTON A GREAT COLLECTOR WHO IWATCHED THE 75 CUP FINAL WITH WEST HAM V FULHAM ALSO WE TAPED GET OUT BOB KUBEN FOR A EMI DISC BUT HIS NAME???SMALL WORLD? GOERGINA & JOE WHAT A PAIRph34r.gif DAVE KIL

Social source share

what was Pedros brothers name? :thumbup: what about MarK Goodman, Paddly Laly? Phil Geegan, Mick Warrick,

Social source share

thats right about pig shed went in my mohair suit look the bees knees. In the morning i look a right state happy dayshypo.gif

Edited by soulcarp
Social source share

Well theres a coincidence, not been on here for a while, just updated the 'Records in the pop charts thread, and mentioned dancing to Chairmen of the board at Wilby and Kelmarsh.

Yep, I remember Gibby well, I took a copy of 'Oh how happy' the Shades of Blue on Sue to the George having just aquired it, I dont think there were any sounds at the time Gibby did'nt have although the biggest were probably Nothing can stop me, You've been cheating, Monkey time, Fife Piper and Twine Time.

Anyway the Bletsoe allnighter was in barn, with straw on the floor, yes really, I did'nt personally go that many times, it was a barsteward to get to and I did'nt drive, all available funds went into sounds and stimulants at the time, dont actually remember who DJ'd at Bletsoe, Glen Bellamy is the most likley suspect, although I do remember little Rocco, who knocked around with Duggy Howlett, having a spell on decks one night as he promptly initated a dance competition and me sitting down at the mention as my paranoia was extreme at the time, I certainly dont remember Gibby ever DJ'ing there, but then I was usually away on planet Zogg and could'nt remember much of anything.

Last time I saw Gibby was in Soul Sense,a long shut record outlet in Luton, about 22 years ago. I had my boy, who was about 4 att he time926 now!!!!) with me, the boy was sitting on the counter while I paid for the only album I ever bought in there, an Ian Levine Motor City album, and the boy started tapping on an album which was on the counter, the guy who was buying said album, by a female artist was not impressed, he had a rather bouffont hair style and I did not recognize him, although he said he came from Northampton, it was'nt till later I realised it had been Gibby.....the last time I'd seen him had been years earlier at Wilby/Kelmarsh....and we were all raving skinheads at the time.

Ady Croadsdell I know, both from Bletsoe and the old Market Harborough allnighters, and yes M8 I'll get to 100 club eventually, hopefully before I'm 70, I'm 60 now and still collect, (last sound off ebay was Shop around The Miracles on the London label), those of you who frequented the aforementioned establishments will know me as Paul Brennan, other faces were Chiefy, John Harris, Simon, Greg Dimambro, John Horsler(from Pontefract), Jim Clark, Jackie Stringer, Paul Kettles and his lady Jerry, John Tappenden, Linda Watts and her m8 Davina from Rushden and Mark Woodfine from Bletchley...just to name a fewshades.gif

hi,paul do you know me m8 think of cakes hope your well regards john

Social source share

thats right about pig shed went in my mohair suit look the bees knees. In the morning i look a right state happy dayshypo.gif

Happy Happy Days, went to Bletsoe a few times with some of the Bedford crew, you guys must remember Kelmarsh as well. ATB Steve thumbup.gif

Also remember Gilly turning up at Burton's Snooker Hall in Bedford on a Saturday with a polythene bag full of pharmaceuticals laugh.giflaugh.gif

Edited by upthejunction
Social source share

hatsoff2.gif I WONDER IF THE MIDLANDERS AND NORTHER KNOW HOW BIG THE AREA THAT WE ARE TALKING ABOUT AND THE DISTANCE THAT PEOPLE TRAVELED BACK IN 68 ONWARDS ITS LIKE A TANGANT STARTING AT NOTTINGHAM CHANEL 6 ON YOUR 405 BLACK AND WHITE MMMMMMM BLACK AND WHITES SO NOTTINGHAM WAS THE BASE AND HOME OF JOHN WILKINSON WHO I FIRST MET IN1970 AND THE HOME OF THE RIKER FACTORY AND REDEFUSION DOWN TO LIECESTER HOME OF SELECTADISK AND THE PEOPLE WHO GRASSED CHRIS GALLARD AND MYSELF UP WE GOT BUSTED TAKEN TO WIGSTON POLICE STATION BAILED FOR 4 WEEKS POLICE COME DOWN A DAY EARLY AND KNICKED US AND TOOK US TO LIECESTER WHEN WE WERE IN THE MAGESTRATES COURT THE COURT COULD NOT HANDLE THE CASE AS WE STILL HAD A 1000 BOMBERS 4 oz OF BLACK AND A FEW TABS OF ACID (IF YOU WERE ONE OF THE PEOPLE AT THE CASINO THAT WEEKEND YOU GOT IT FROM ME AS AT LEAST 50 PEOPLE WERE TRIPPED OUT ON THE STAIRS??COOL ANY WAY WE ASKED FOR BAIL AND THE WOMAN (LADT ISABEL BARNET OF THE TELLY "WHATS MY LINE") LOOKED AT ME AND SAID AND I QUOTE "YOU DIRTY FITHY COCKNEY SCUM! HAVE BOUGHT YOUR GANGSTER WAYS TO CORUPT THE GOOD YOUTH OF LIECESTERSHIRE ? PEDDLEING YOUR FILTHEY RECHED DRUGS TO POISON OUR YOUTHS MINDS ? NO YOU WONT BE BAILED" AND I REPYED OH GO ON STOP HAVING A LAUGH HO HO TEE HEE.boxing.gif SHE GOT DONE FOR SHOP LIFTING AND KILLED HERSELF SHE FORGOT ABOUT ME ROMANY CURSE, TRUE STORY WE WERE BANGED UP IN THE NICK FOR A FEW MOTHS BUT I GOT US FREE THE JURY WERE NEARLY IN TEARS I KNOW THE OLD BILL WERE THAY COULD NOT FIGUER OUT HOW WE WERE CAUT RED HANDED AND CHARGED WITH INTENT TO SUPLY, AND ME DTHEDRUG TALKED US OUT OF 5 YEARS TO BE FOUND NOT GUILTY, THEY SHOULD OF KNOWN YOU JUST CANT TRUST "DIRTY FITHY COCKNEY SCUM CAN YOU BOYS & GIRLS ESPECIALY THE GIPOS???

THIS IS PART I IN A SERIES OF 2 OR 3 IF HAVE TIME AND THE NAME OF THIS THREAD WITHIN A THREAD "I GOT WHAT IT TAKES PT 1 ph34r.gif DAVE(HE KNOWS THE STARS0KIL

post-13241-12625553949715_thumb.jpg

Social source share

what was Pedros brothers name? g.gif what about MarK Goodman, Paddly Laly? Phil Geegan, Mick Warrick,

Pedro's brother is Fredyes.gif mark goodman was a mate, Mark Collins, Graham Mansfield, Nicky Mansfield, Maggot, Phil Geoghan married Sonia Nicholls, Gerald (irish) saw him at the torch reunion hadn't seen each other for about 27 years!! that was greatthumbup.gif

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Ady Croadsdell I know, both from Bletsoe and the old Market Harborough allnighters, and yes M8 I'll get to 100 club eventually, hopefully before I'm 70, I'm 60 now and still collect, (last sound off ebay was Shop around The Miracles on the London label), those of you who frequented the aforementioned establishments will know me as Paul Brennan, other faces were Chiefy, John Harris, Simon, Greg Dimambro, John Horsler(from Pontefract), Jim Clark, Jackie Stringer, Paul Kettles and his lady Jerry, John Tappenden, Linda Watts and her m8 Davina from Rushden and Mark Woodfine from Bletchley...just to name a fewshades

[/quote

I started a few years later than you guys, being from near rushden Northants I remember going down to the "Blockers Arms" in Luton to ah em Meet people!! This is a top thread guys Keep it going Kimbo.

Edited by kimbo
Social source share

ame='kimbo' date='13 January 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1263420317' post='1237246']

:hatsoff2: NICE ONE KIMBO! I need to write pt2 of adventures through the Northhamtonshire & Bedforshire, there was a load of gash back then?:ph34r: DAVE(I likes me gash!) KIL

Hi Dave always read your threads when ever I see them, very intresting and tell the real deal these memories and adventures need to be told they are important. Been reading Swish from Leeds as well. I caught the tail end of all this is 73 when I started going to the Mallet in Cambridge but had been a regular at the Nags head in Wollaston 2 years or so before that as I lived 2 miles away. RESPECT MATEthumbsup.gif . Kimbo

Social source share

ame='kimbo' date='13 January 2010 - 10:05 PM' timestamp='1263420317' post='1237246']

hatsoff2.gif NICE ONE KIMBO! I need to write pt2 of adventures through the Northhamtonshire & Bedforshire, there was a load of gash back then?ph34r.gif DAVE(I likes me gash!) KIL

Hi all, my good friend Mel Nicholls,(Shinehead, Manifesto) originally from Northampton, now residing in Shropshire has asked me to post the following for him as he is not a member. He is a soul original and a top geezer (OK Mel call off septic knuckles the rent collecter now please!!)

Over to Mel:

WITH A CLOUDY MEMORY - in 1970 I had a flat in Kettering Road, Northampton, by St Matthews church. I lived there for a few months till Feb 71. Got to know Mark Woodvine from Bletchley. In 1969 he went out with a girl from Wolverton? Her friends name was katie. Mark also had a flat in Harborough road, Northampton for a while when he went out with a local girl.

We would go to Shades and I remember one morning, coming back from the Kelmarsh niter in the back of a mini van with him - he was not a happy man, ripped his tailor made trousers while we were all packed in the back! One Saturday afternoon we went to a cheap tatooist near the BR station. I remember he had a comic cartoon face put on his arm and regretted it a day later!

A mate of marks would turn up most weekends from bletchley - he worked at the Vauxhall plant at Luton as a maintenance apprentice was his nickname Cookie?.

Also, have I got the right guy, as I was sure John tappenham came over from Bletchley? He had got black hair, was thin and dressed smart, and like us, liked all the chemicals!! The guy I knew had a brother who moved to the west midlands. The very last time I saw them was at Crewe at the Junction, the night it closed. They were then off to Newquay.

A few more to think about was a local lad who went awol from the army - forgot his name, but the last time I saw him, he was cuffed between two massive MP's! Also a lad from Bedford around the time of the Earls Barton niter - name Willie? the name Goodman also comes to mind, as I am related to the goodmans from Bradwell, bucks. Don't tell them - THEY MIGHT THINK I HAVE MONEY!!!

Finally - before they lock me in for the night, anyone remember Kev Rainbow, originally from Newport Pagnell? A good mate of mine for a few years - not seen anyone for 40 years! Only that old chestnut, Mick Murphy 6 or so years ago.

Mel Nichols

Edited by kimbo
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

MARK GOODMAN .....came from cambridge.........MY old mate irish (gerald) now lives in st neots and is out and about at the better alnighters

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Happy Happy Days, went to Bletsoe a few times with some of the Bedford crew, you guys must remember Kelmarsh as well. ATB Steve :thumbup:

Also remember Gilly turning up at Burton's Snooker Hall in Bedford on a Saturday with a polythene bag full of pharmaceuticals :laugh::laugh:

l am guessing this was gilly from wellingborough......top bloke,once was walking down midland rd with him when he kicked the chemist door in and came out 10 mins later carrying the bloody dda cabinet lol.....shit meself,but we had a good time later

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

anyone remember HIPPY DICK from bedford or smelly george who drowned good fun.HIPPY DICK used to drive around in a robin same as del boy.

Social source share

Hi all, my good friend Mel Nicholls,(Shinehead, Manifesto) originally from Northampton, now residing in Shropshire has asked me to post the following for him as he is not a member. He is a soul original and a top geezer (OK Mel call off septic knuckles the rent collecter now please!!)

Over to Mel:

WITH A CLOUDY MEMORY - in 1970 I had a flat in Kettering Road, Northampton, by St Matthews church. I lived there for a few months till Feb 71. Got to know Mark Woodvine from Bletchley. In 1969 he went out with a girl from Wolverton? Her friends name was katie. Mark also had a flat in Harborough road, Northampton for a while when he went out with a local girl.

We would go to Shades and I remember one morning, coming back from the Kelmarsh niter in the back of a mini van with him - he was not a happy man, ripped his tailor made trousers while we were all packed in the back! One Saturday afternoon we went to a cheap tatooist near the BR station. I remember he had a comic cartoon face put on his arm and regretted it a day later!

A mate of marks would turn up most weekends from bletchley - he worked at the Vauxhall plant at Luton as a maintenance apprentice was his nickname Cookie?.

Also, have I got the right guy, as I was sure John tappenham came over from Bletchley? He had got black hair, was thin and dressed smart, and like us, liked all the chemicals!! The guy I knew had a brother who moved to the west midlands. The very last time I saw them was at Crewe at the Junction, the night it closed. They were then off to Newquay.

A few more to think about was a local lad who went awol from the army - forgot his name, but the last time I saw him, he was cuffed between two massive MP's! Also a lad from Bedford around the time of the Earls Barton niter - name Willie? the name Goodman also comes to mind, as I am related to the goodmans from Bradwell, bucks. Don't tell them - THEY MIGHT THINK I HAVE MONEY!!!

Finally - before they lock me in for the night, anyone remember Kev Rainbow, originally from Newport Pagnell? A good mate of mine for a few years - not seen anyone for 40 years! Only that old chestnut, Mick Murphy 6 or so years ago.

Mel Nichols

Cheers for that Kimbo, Steve P from Cranfield introduced me to Mel and his luvly lady at Newquay last year, you're right, he is a top guy, unbeknown to me he also really rated upthejunction at crewe, wish him a happy 60th next time you speak to him.

ATB Steve

Social source share

Cheers for that Kimbo, Steve P from Cranfield introduced me to Mel and his luvly lady at Newquay last year, you're right, he is a top guy, unbeknown to me he also really rated upthejunction at crewe, wish him a happy 60th next time you speak to him.

ATB Steve

Hi, Will do tomorrow nite (sat)! but think he will be reading your post anyhow. Stevie P and Michelle real good Friends of ours. Not sure where you are from but Mel will be movin on a groove with the rest of us at UNITED SOUND OF SOUL in Walsall. Top nightthumbsup.gif . Best Kimbo.

Social source share

Hi, Will do tomorrow nite (sat)! but think he will be reading your post anyhow. Stevie P and Michelle real good Friends of ours. Not sure where you are from but Mel will be movin on a groove with the rest of us at UNITED SOUND OF SOUL in Walsall. Top nightthumbsup.gif . Best Kimbo.

Hi again Kimbo, I Bedford born and bred, I work with Steve P, we did actually meet and have a chat at Willington. ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Hi again Kimbo, I Bedford born and bred, I work with Steve P, we did actually meet and have a chat at Willington. ATB Steve thumbsup.gif

Ahh right yep with it now, its the soul source names that throw me. You doin ok? Don't get roped into any walkin shenanigans with the "Cranfield Crawlers" we did and Lisa still has scars to prove it....ask steve about sucking out the poison re wasp sting!!!!!!!

Hope to meet up wiv ya again mate Kimbo

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

JOHNNY TAPPENDEN...was from bedford,he and his wife lived in castle rd,forget her name

Mark Woodfine...new him very well, as you say he came from Letchworth, but I cant remember anyone called Cookie????, I can picture the lad he used to knock about with but again, he was a Letchworth lad. Not spoken to Mark for years, try 01908 262677, hes a plumberthumbsup.gif

John Tappenden, from Bedford, was a thin guy with black hair and his lady was Caroline

If you know these guys you must remember people like Chiefy, John Harris, Bob Cosby, Johhny Turner(they DJ'd the Black Horse, same sort of period the Catacmbs/Torch was going strong), and me Paul Brennan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!