Bletsoe Allnighters

Guest martyn

Blimey Paul, not many people went there. I was living in London then and drove a battered Vespa (sorry!) up to it one night, drank a handful of Carlsberg Special Brew and drove home to St Pancras in 5 minutes and couldn't remember how I got there. I once had some of the biggest green and clears, from a Harboro Chemist that got done, anyone had ever seen. This lad who was acting very cool with me turned into a gibbering wreck when he saw them. I had my best night on Mandys then too. The Nolan Chance might have been the Bunky copy Dave Burton eventually sold me and was on Manships a couple of weeks ago.

This is a great thread, I can't believe I've not posted on it. Bletsoe was the b*llocks, one of the most blocked times of my life and hearing I Don't Want To Discuss It and A Quitter Never Wins in that condition was unbeatable. I loved the rural aspect of it all, Kelmarsh was the same and I visited it after the Cleethorpes weekender prompted by a post from Swish. We were so lucky to go through all that.

I love the photos please stick up more people.

I'll apologise now, following is slightly off thread

Hi Ady,

Loadsa of us from Luton used to go down there, the Birds Nest, myself (Paul Brennan), Micky Bartalis, Ian Cowley, Noreen and Effner, Chiefey, John Harris, faces I can see but cant put names to, probaly a hard core of 20 of us, plus Dave Godin used to turn up regulary,( very ginger that bloke was) and that geezer he took with him on his jaunt to Blackpool Mecca, that resulted in the Blues and Soul issue with the term Northern Soul coming into existece in it, anyway, used to come with him, was it Mark Billingham ?.

I mean the Birds Nest was Northern Soul oasis in South of England, literally, at the time, going north were'nt till you got to Bedford when Dingle used to DJ at that old hotel, (the old riverside hotel, anyone?), that ''decent'' soul music, anything but James Brown, got played.....I've said itbefore but first heard She Blue a good thing, and I was hooked, at one of Digles sessions.

My Nolan Chance copy is on the Bunky label.....I thought it came out on Constellation, at least the Birds Nest copy was a constellation issue.

Only saw Green and Clears once, they were from a chemist that got turned over in Markyate, nr Luton...me, Dougie Howlett, Jhon Harris, copped 5 freebies each, we'd never seen them before, pardon my English BUT THE BEST F*CKING SPEED I'VE EVER HAD !!!!!!.

I've never ever seen them again, not done gear since '76, BUT, if someone came to me with Green and Clears (I've asked my son who's 27 to look out for them LOL) I thinkI'd go into melt down as well, bugger 35 yearsof not having a blockup, I'td all go down the pan.

Yeah Ady, they were top draw caps !!!!!.

As an after thought, I wasinformed at the Georger reunion in Wilby on Saturday that, sadly, John Tappenden is no longer with us (RIP if true) no time frame orcircustances, can anyone elaborate?.

Paul aka DanDare

Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Bletsoe, whatever happened to Delbert?

He's in the US, Florida I think. Got into the hard stuff too much and quit the lifestyle, I think relocating helped him start a new life. I spoke to him about 6 years ago and he was popping back to Wellingboro to vist relatives. I've got a killer photo of him somewhere.

Social source share

I'll apologise now, following is slightly off thread Hi Ady, Loadsa of us from Luton used to go down there, the Birds Nest, myself (Paul Brennan), Micky Bartalis, Ian Cowley, Noreen and Effner, Chiefey, John Harris, faces I can see but cant put names to, probaly a hard core of 20 of us, plus Dave Godin used to turn up regulary,( very ginger that bloke was) and that geezer he took with him on his jaunt to Blackpool Mecca, that resulted in the Blues and Soul issue with the term Northern Soul coming into existece in it, anyway, used to come with him, was it Mark Billingham ?. I mean the Birds Nest was Northern Soul oasis in South of England, literally, at the time, going north were'nt till you got to Bedford when Dingle used to DJ at that old hotel, (the old riverside hotel, anyone?), that ''decent'' soul music, anything but James Brown, got played.....I've said itbefore but first heard She Blue a good thing, and I was hooked, at one of Digles sessions. My Nolan Chance copy is on the Bunky label.....I thought it came out on Constellation, at least the Birds Nest copy was a constellation issue. Only saw Green and Clears once, they were from a chemist that got turned over in Markyate, nr Luton...me, Dougie Howlett, Jhon Harris, copped 5 freebies each, we'd never seen them before, pardon my English BUT THE BEST FUCKING SPEED I'VE EVER HAD !!!!!!. I've never ever seen them again, not done gear since '76, BUT, if someone came to me with Green and Clears (I've asked my son who's 27 to look out for them LOL) I thinkI'd go into melt down as well, bugger 35 yearsof not having a blockup, I'td all go down the pan. Yeah Ady, they were top draw caps !!!!!. As an after thought, I wasinformed at the Georger reunion in Wilby on Saturday that, sadly, John Tappenden is no longer with us (RIP if true) no time frame orcircustances, can anyone elaborate?. Paul aka DanDare

Yeah but these were twice the size of normal green and clears, probably for narcoleptic elephants.

It was usually pretty quiet when I went to the Birds Nest, that was why I was surprised your mob had been. It was mainly 3 or 4 DJs, another 4 would be DJs and me dancing, occasionally off my tits.

I wonder if Dave Burton or Dave Rivers has any photos of the gaff. We were back there in early 1980 for the second 6TS venue, upstairs in the Starlight

Social source share

I used to go to bletsoe "DISCO CLUB" as advertised on a piece of wood that used to be a box of kippers,

50pence admission from 12 midnite saturday till 6am sunday morning, what a frightening place full of

dodgy geezers like john tappenden,, chief, paul brennan, dougie brown and smelly george atkins.

less dodgier people were keith tilson (tilly) gibby glenn bellamy and the many gorgeous women

that used to go for a pee in the field nearby, AND in pairs, tradition is a mighty thing!!

Tony Warot.

John Tappenden (RIP), myself (Paul Brennan), and Smelly George (RIP) were sound, Chiefy was, and still, a seriously dodgy geezer :yes:

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

hi Paul.great to meet up with you again at Wilby after all these years.Remember the Birds Nest well.It allways reminded me of dancing in a boxing ring!!!

Mark.

It were dancing in a boxing, all them arms flying about and two dancers on thatfloor was crowd :D .

Yeah, good to c u again as well, cant we believe we stood next to each other and neither of us recognised the other :hypo:

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I'll apologise now, following is slightly off thread

Hi Ady,

Loadsa of us from Luton used to go down there, the Birds Nest, myself (Paul Brennan), Micky Bartalis, Ian Cowley, Noreen and Effner, Chiefey, John Harris, faces I can see but cant put names to, probaly a hard core of 20 of us, plus Dave Godin used to turn up regulary,( very ginger that bloke was) and that geezer he took with him on his jaunt to Blackpool Mecca, that resulted in the Blues and Soul issue with the term Northern Soul coming into existece in it, anyway, used to come with him, was it Mark Billingham ?.

I mean the Birds Nest was Northern Soul oasis in South of England, literally, at the time, going north were'nt till you got to Bedford when Dingle used to DJ at that old hotel, (the old riverside hotel, anyone?), that ''decent'' soul music, anything but James Brown, got played.....I've said itbefore but first heard She Blue a good thing, and I was hooked, at one of Digles sessions.

My Nolan Chance copy is on the Bunky label.....I thought it came out on Constellation, at least the Birds Nest copy was a constellation issue.

Only saw Green and Clears once, they were from a chemist that got turned over in Markyate, nr Luton...me, Dougie Howlett, Jhon Harris, copped 5 freebies each, we'd never seen them before, pardon my English BUT THE BEST FUCKING SPEED I'VE EVER HAD !!!!!!.

I've never ever seen them again, not done gear since '76, BUT, if someone came to me with Green and Clears (I've asked my son who's 27 to look out for them LOL) I thinkI'd go into melt down as well, bugger 35 yearsof not having a blockup, I'td all go down the pan.

Yeah Ady, they were top draw caps !!!!!.

As an after thought, I wasinformed at the Georger reunion in Wilby on Saturday that, sadly, John Tappenden is no longer with us (RIP if true) no time frame orcircustances, can anyone elaborate?.

Paul aka DanDare

l knew noreen and effner and what about jackie jenessi knew her as well.....the hotel was the pilgrims. green and clears came in two sizes 7.5 mg and 12mg.....similar for brown and clears

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Before my time on the scene ,I'm told there were nighters held in Bletsoe (on the A6 in Bedfordshire).Ive been working near there of late & can't for the life of me think of a more unlikely village to cater for a soul do ! unsure.gif

So,

1.Did they really happen ?

2.What year?

3.Where exactly in the village?

4.What were they like?

Just curious like ! Any stories ?

Thanks

martyn, they were held at haydons farm in 1972/3 and they were, for their day BRILLIANT! full of dodgy geezers

the health and safety executive council would've s*it themselves if they'd been around, extension cables all over the place

for the electric, yep,.. you would have loved it..........feed me

tony warot.

Social source share

l knew noreen and effner and what about jackie jenessi knew her as well.....the hotel was the pilgrims. green and clears came in two sizes 7.5 mg and 12mg.....similar for brown and clears

dave godin's mate was Alf billingham!!

westrex.

Social source share

Guest martyn

martyn, they were held at haydons farm in 1972/3 and they were, for their day BRILLIANT! full of dodgy geezers

the health and safety executive council would've s*it themselves if they'd been around, extension cables all over the place

for the electric, yep,.. you would have loved it..........feed me

tony warot.

Cheers Tony :thumbsup: ......Talking of weird venues round this neck of the woods , Im sure I went to a nighter at Northampton held in an old church run by rastas ????

Social source share

Hi peggy.If you look back through the thread on page two,I have posted some photos.there is the bottom half of Noreen and Effna and several of Renna (everyone called her Cathy) taken at The Black Horse-Leighton Buzzard about 73. Her brother was killed in a head on with a bus on his way home from Shades.She was a friend of Caroline (John tappendens missus) We regularly ended up at their house on the way back from The Torch etc,in Castle St Bedford,along with Graham Crook who was Johns best buddy

Social source share

This was taken about 73 at The Black Horse.Girl on far right is Caroline(John Tappendens other half)Cant remember who the girl is that is talking to her but I know she died from an OD. Can anyone name the bloke who is standing to the right of Bob Cosby who DJd there along with John Turner?post-22847-0-54203600-1312041456_thumb.j

Social source share

Yo Blueten, how they hanging, liked the Murdoch note you sent to the Blackberry LOL,,

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Hi Mark.....do you remember Smelly going to Bletsoe?, I cant remember him ever trying to ponce a lift off me and John (Harris) to go up there. Bletsoe was after Wilby and Harborough, and I'm sure George passed on to the great Allnighter in the Sky before Bletsoe ????.

Glen Bellamy wrote a requiem for him in Blues and Soul, perhaps he'll know. George Atkinson aka 'Smelly' was a good M8 and a well known Luton face, sorley missed at the time, I remember Chiefy, who was there telling me he was pissed and dived into the river outside The Pilgrim in Bedford, nobody missed him till later as they were all pissed as well, all celebrating some football victory, probably Luton beating Watford LOL.

Sorry Westrex but I have to disagree with you about Bletsoe being brilliant, (even for the time) yes it was somewhere to have a blockup, it beat Toddington Service Station. Good music must have been played, I remember dancing, but cant remember a single tune that was played ranting_1.gif great atmosphere ,especially for us ''dodgy geezers'' who frequented the place, but the venue itself......ABSOLUTE SHITE !!!!!!, which spoilt it some what, now Wilby/Krellmarsh/Earls Barton.....they were brilliant !!!!!.

Yeah, Alf Billingham, I actually did know that :wave: , I stll have the Blues and Soul issue referred to my earlier post, Would you believe? :)

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Hi Mark.....do you remember Smelly going to Bletsoe?, I cant remember him ever trying to ponce a lift off me and John (Harris) to go up there. Bletsoe was after Wilby and Harborough, and I'm sure George passed on to the great Allnighter in the Sky before Bletsoe ????.

Glen Bellamy wrote a requiem for him in Blues and Soul, perhaps he'll know. George Atkinson aka 'Smelly' was a good M8 and a well known Luton face, sorley missed at the time, I remember Chiefy, who was there telling me he was pissed and dived into the river outside The Pilgrim in Bedford, nobody missed him till later as they were all pissed as well, all celebrating some football victory, probably Luton beating Watford LOL.

Sorry Westrex but I disagree about Bletsoe being brilliant, (even for the time) some where to have a blockup, beat Toddington Service Station. Good music must have been played, I remember dancing, but cant remember a single tune that was played ranting_1.gif great atmosphere ,especially for us ''dodgy geezers'' who frequented the place, but the venue itself......ABSOLUTE SHITE !!!!!!, which spoilt it some what, now Wilby/Krellmarsh/Earls Barton.....they were brilliant !!!!!.

Yeah, Alf Billingham, I actually did know that :wave: , I stll have the Blues and Soul issue referred to my earlier post, Would you believe? :)

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...EARLY ON IN THIS THREAD I TALK ABOUT GOERGINA FROM CAMBRIDGE, ANY WAY FOUND THIS YESTERDAY, IT'S A CHRISTMAS CARD FROM 74, THINK WIGAN! THE MESSAGE READS "MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR, MAY IT BE A GOOD ONE WITH PLENTY OF GEAR". IT'S A CLASSIC OF THE TIME, ph34r.gif DAVE

georgina archdeacon

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....After 40 years the talk of the early days of the rare soul scene is still about the subject of stimulants, and how essentsial they where, to make a venue into a classic night, and the fondness that we still talk about then,

Having studied at degree level, All conections between DRUG sub cultures and underground music scenes, that have evolved since the late 50s. The rare soul scene is the only one that openly acknowlages the subject of the importance that DRUG use played in the early days,

As we all get closer to pension age? do you think that our euthoric recall of stimulant use, is good or a bad thing? is talk about green & clears, red & browns, brown & clears. black & whites. black bombers, blues & dex as exciteing as talking about green & white, red & white, yellow DEMOS, OR are they the same, also did this part of the scene cause any permanant harm, as I still use the product today, what is your current opinion of the subject, and are your opinions on the subject of stimulant use, and how has it changed, or have you substituted it with legal drugs like alcholl?

Do you think that certain DRUGS for some poeple should be prescribed? :thumbup: DAVE

post-13241-0-32218100-1312223098_thumb.j

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

:hatsoff2: HI ALL....After 40 years the talk of the early days of the rare soul scene is still about the subject of stimulants, and how essentsial they where, to make a venue into a classic night, and the fondness that we still talk about then,

Having studied at degree level, All conections between DRUG sub cultures and underground music scenes, that have evolved since the late 50s. The rare soul scene is the only one that openly acknowlages the subject of the importance that DRUG use played in the early days,

As we all get closer to pension age? do you think that our euthoric recall of stimulant use, is good or a bad thing? is talk about green & clears, red & browns, brown & clears. black & whites. black bombers, blues & dex as exciteing as talking about green & white, red & white, yellow DEMOS, OR are they the same, also did this part of the scene cause any permanant harm, as I still use the product today, what is your current opinion of the subject, and are your opinions on the subject of stimulant use, and how has it changed, or have you substituted it with legal drugs like alcholl?

Do you think that certain DRUGS for some poeple should be prescribed? :thumbup: DAVE

:thumbup:

Social source share

Yeah, at least I was able to discuss the subject, as an ex speed freak/acid head/smack head/pot head..(oh for a decent bit of Gold seal Black instead of this shit weed they all smoke now) with my kids and advise them what to steer clear of, rather than our parents who said DONT USE DRUGS........as mine sat there smoking their 20 fags a day and then my old lady literally drank her self to death on Special Brew.

Far as I'm concerned they should ban Alcohol...there are more Alcoholics than junkies, and cigarettes are a close second, you try and get serious medical treatment involving an operation these days if you smoke.

I acknowlege the HUGE part amphetamines and their various derivitives played in the Northern scene, its good to talk about it 'cause we're the SURVIVORS, at least more than a few of us on here are, of dosages that would have killed lesser mortals.

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

I used to go to bletsoe "DISCO CLUB" as advertised on a piece of wood that used to be a box of kippers,

50pence admission from 12 midnite saturday till 6am sunday morning, what a frightening place full of

dodgy geezers like john tappenden,, chief, paul brennan, dougie brown and smelly george atkins.

less dodgier people were keith tilson (tilly) gibby glenn bellamy and the many gorgeous women

that used to go for a pee in the field nearby, AND in pairs, tradition is a mighty thing!!

Tony Warot.

Spooky

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Hi Paul.I dont recall George at Bletsoe either-maybe wrong but cant recall him there.

It was the first niter that I got to under my own power and always took John and caroline over with me as well as gilly-girlfriend at the time.

We spent quite a few Sunday mornings at Toddington didnt we-with the usual crowd.Always remember you producing a copy of Honey Bee-Johnny Johnson -first time id heard it as it had only just come out-swiftly followed by a rendition of hawkwind and Silver Machine,a bit different but still a good sound!!

Good old Discatrons eh.

Social source share

Dave,

I don't know if it's just me or my mates, but back in the days, 68-75, then I would estimate that 80% of the people at allniters had gear as no.1 priority and sounds no.2, don't get me wrong, we all loved the sounds, but given the economics of the time and our age , where hardly in a position to buy what you wanted, even though plenty where new releases at that time.The two together where obligatory.

Today, every do is the reverse-unfortunately!

However, re Bletsoe and G&Cs, went only once and when asked if anyone had any gear, always wanted more, was pointed in the direction of a guy with a BOAC bag on his shoulder, the bag was full(around 1000) of G&C's,

He was a well known lead singer of a late sixties mod band,then forgotten, obviously can't mention his name, given the place was a barn, then you where always looking at the weather.

Shelly

Edited by shelly
Social source share

I know you lot always called him Smelly, but to me he will always be "Big George; King Of Kelmarsh" who got me my first doobs, five black bombers for 50p.

I think he died well after Bletsoe, but I wasn't from the Beds area. Bletsoe was great because it was so amateur and ad hoc, it felt really naughty!

Now what about Saints and Sinners in Birmingham which was full of our crowd and one cool Brummie called Slip. I've got some great photos of there with Phil West from Rothwell; it was a he'll of a joint.

Social source share

Ady.....bloody horriblevgear.......only had once (2 OFF)....HUGE CAPSULES.....no sleep for three days. spent third day with the horrors (first and only time I had the horrors, (different league to paranoia) watching fucking great spiders out the corner of my eyes, never took 'em again :hatsoff2:

)

Social source share

Dave,

I don't know if it's just me or my mates, but back in the days, 68-75, then I would estimate that 80% of the people at all niters had gear as no.1 priority and sounds no.2, don't get me wrong, we all loved the sounds, but given the economics of the time and our age , where hardly in a position to buy what you wanted, even though plenty where new releases at that time.The two together where obligatory.

However, re Bletsoe and G&Cs, went only once and when asked if anyone had any gear, always wanted more, was pointed in the direction of a guy with a BOAC bag on his shoulder, the bag was full(around 1000) of G&C's,

He was a well known lead singer of a late sixties mod band,then forgotten, obviously can't mention his name, given the place was a barn, then you where always looking at the weather.

Shelly

Dave,

I don't know if it's just me or my mates, but back in the days, 68-75, then I would estimate that 80% of the people at all-niters had gear as no.1 priority and sounds no.2, don't get me wrong, we all loved the sounds, but given the economics of the time and our age , where hardly in a position to buy what you wanted, even though plenty where new releases at that time.The two together where obligatory.

Shelly

:hatsoff2: HI BLETSONIANS.....BOAC BAD FULL OF G&C "HE MUST BEEN FLYING HIGH AS A KITE"! THE HISTORY OF THIS PERIOD IS FASCINATING, WELL FOR ME IT IS, AS GLEN BELLAMY SAY'S WHY IS IT CALLED NORTHERN SOUL, WHE CLEARLY HISTORY SHOWS THAT IN THE EARLY DAYS OF THE SCENE THE MIDLANDS WAS THE REAL MAIN STAY OF THE RARE SOUL SCENE, AND TO PUT THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE IF YOU PUT THE HOME COUNTIES & LONDON IN THE MIX, I WOULD SAY THE HARD CORE SOUL COLLECTORS FROM THESE AREAS WERE THE NUCLEUS OF WHAT TURNED INTO THE NORTHERN SOUL SCENE AND BY THEN IN THE MIX YOU COULD PUT WHITE & RED ROSES, NOW WE ALL NO PEOPLE FROM THE NORTH EAST AND SCOTCH PEOPLE WHO LOVE RARER SOUL, BUT THEY CAME TO US NOT THE OTHER WAT ROUND,

THE SUBJECT OF STIMULANTS AND THERE USE, IS AS WE NO WAS THE BIG ATTRACTING, I FIRST HAD B&W IN 67 I NICKED THEM OUT OF MT COUSINS HAND BAD. SHE HAD A HAND BAG FULL (this was Chester's sister Maria, & her mate Joan Bradshaw, they use to go to the DOT in Cambridge and meet JOE W & LEGS) THAT SHOWS AND PROVES TO ME THAT SOUL SCENE HAD ALREADY STARTED IN 67 AS SHE WAS AN AVID MOTOWN COLLECTOR, EVEN NOW WHEN I HERE JIMMY RUFFIANS BABY I GOT IT, TRIGGERS MEMORIES OF MARIA & JOAN,

RIGHT THROUGH THIS PERIOD ALL TYPES OF STIMULANT WHERE AVAILABLE, AS I HAVE STATED BEFORE IN 69 I USED TO BUY EVERY THING FROM THE CHERRY TREE IN WELGAR, THE SK&F FACTORY WAS IN SPITTING DISTANCE AND SITUATED NEXT TO THE SHREDDED WHEAT FACTORY? THE CHERRY TREE HAD THE BLUES-VILE CLUB, AND LIVE BLUES BANDS PLAYED THERE FROM TASTE TO CANNED HEAT, GREAT PUB, PILLS WHERE 80 FOR £1 CAPS WHERE 1 SHILLING AND METHADRINE 2/6d an amp, ( i would sit in the wimpy and poor it into coca cola and add 5 sugars).

To my delight I heard people talking about putting ASPROs in coca cola to get high and story's that up north at the Twisted Wheel they paid a bob each for pills, to me the soul clubs meant money not records, of course I was just a small cog in a very small underground scene, that had emerged with no adverts just word of mouth, youngsters did the same in 88 with the raves, and they took :) easy baby,

By 1974 there was hardly a chemist in England that had not been done over, However with RONNIE & REGGIE out the way the firm took control of the drug supply scene, the acid LSD scene was not under the FIRM, but the manufacture of amphetamine was, and the chemicals to use for it's manufacture were so easy to get all you needed was industrial dishwasher liquid ephedrine acetone powder hot plate and basic knowledge of chemistry a 1st year under grad and away you go, i forgot to add you needed Cambridge also as the stuff stiks and is very volatile, the base amfet was at least 5 times stronger than the stuff sold at all NIGHTERS and most of that had been cut, so many people who only ever took speed they got at all nighters if you had a great time well done but you where always being ripped of as the real stuff lasted for 2 - 3 days and tripped you out, then again maybe you where better of, as you all could be a JOHN OR JANE THE DRUG?

IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS OR NEEDS ADVICE ABOUT THIS SUBJECT OR IS IN NEED OF TREATMENT YOU WILL FIND HELP IN YELLOW PAGES, OR PM ME AS A REG COUNSELOR BACP ETHICS APPLY. 100% CONFIDENTIAL, 20 YEARS OF PRACTICE, RCGP NHS TRAINED, :thumbup: DAVE K

Social source share

Ady.....bloody horriblevgear.......only had once (2 OFF)....HUGE CAPSULES.....no sleep for three days. spent third day with the horrors (first and only time I had the horrors, (different league to paranoia) watching fucking great spiders out the corner of my eyes, never took 'em again :hatsoff2:

)

Have to disagree with you on that point DD*************LOVED EM :wicked: :wicked: :wicked: :wicked: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Social source share

Have to disagree with you on that point DD*************LOVED EM :wicked: :wicked: :wicked: :wicked: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Geezer, you loved ANYTHING that was pill or capsule shaped, remember the 1000 decks me and John got conned

with :( ?.

We, quite innocently, took them up the Cats to flog, we even had a buyer, until it turned out they were Proplus, you, me and John were off our trolley's on them all the way up from Luton to Wolverhampton :yes::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , quickest come down I ever had :thumbup: .

Mark have prob with my MOB, can you drop your Email address to me on here by PM and I'll get the George piccys up to you and Kimbo

Edited by DanDare
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

I know you lot always called him Smelly, but to me he will always be "Big George; King Of Kelmarsh" who got me my first doobs, five black bombers for 50p.

I think he died well after Bletsoe, but I wasn't from the Beds area. Bletsoe was great because it was so amateur and ad hoc, it felt really naughty!

Now what about Saints and Sinners in Birmingham which was full of our crowd and one cool Brummie called Slip. I've got some great photos of there with Phil West from Rothwell; it was a he'll of a joint.

small world l knew phil west from rothwell ended up owning his own scaffolding company nice bloke indeedy (bit of a temper though lol )

Social source share

Geezer, you loved ANYTHING that was pill or capsule shaped, remember the 1000 decks me and John got conned

with :( ?.

We, quite innocently, took them up the Cats to flog, we even had a buyer, until it turned out they were Proplus, you, me and John were off our trolley's on them all the way up from Luton to Wolverhampton :yes::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: , quickest come down I ever had :thumbup: .

Mark have prob with my MOB, can you drop your Email address to me on here by PM and I'll get the George piccys up to you and Kimbo

In your mail box

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL ...... LUTON BOYS, CAN YOU REMEMBER THE 2 LUTON GEEZERS WHO GOT TURNED OVER FOR THE GEARE,IN THE TORCH, IT WAS ONE OF YOU? OR YOU WERE THERE??? MAYBE I AM OFF THE MARK, BUT I REMEMBER THOSE INVOVED GOT NO GEAR FROM THE SOUTH AFTER THAT LIBERTY TAKING :g:

:boxing: DAVE

Social source share

small world l knew phil west from rothwell ended up owning his own scaffolding company nice bloke indeedy (bit of a temper though lol )

Yeah, he had a gorgeous girlfriend called Isobel who went to dos too (she's on one of my Saints And Sinners photos) and at a punk do we were having a good pogo (i was a punk, he wasn't) and I found him throttling me which would have been a good dance move then, but when I started blacking out, I wasn't so sure.

Doesn't anybody here remember the Birmingham Saints and Sinners then?

Social source share

Blimey Paul, not many people went there. I was living in London then and drove a battered Vespa (sorry!) up to it one night, drank a handful of Carlsberg Special Brew and drove home to St Pancras in 5 minutes and couldn't remember how I got there. I once had some of the biggest green and clears, from a Harboro Chemist that got done, anyone had ever seen. This lad who was acting very cool with me turned into a gibbering wreck when he saw them. I had my best night on Mandys then too. The Nolan Chance might have been the Bunky copy Dave Burton eventually sold me and was on Manships a couple of weeks ago.

This is a great thread, I can't believe I've not posted on it. Bletsoe was the b*llocks, one of the most blocked times of my life and hearing I Don't Want To Discuss It and A Quitter Never Wins in that condition was unbeatable. I loved the rural aspect of it all, Kelmarsh was the same and I visited it after the Cleethorpes weekender prompted by a post from Swish. We were so lucky to go through all that.

I love the photos please stick up more people.

Hi Ady,

Agree Bletsoe was a bit special, it's where I cut my teeth, was a bit young to be on the 'gear' thing, plus had a very watchful elder sister. For me it was all about the music, It's where I fist heard A li'l lovin sometime, anyone remember the Corby girls ? smile.png ATB Steve Edited by pikeys dog
swearing - workplace filters
Social source share

Hi Ady,

Agree Bletsoe was a bit special, it's where I cut my teeth, was a bit young to be on the 'gear' thing, plus had a very watchful elder sister. For me it was all about the music, It's where I fist heard A li'l lovin sometime, anyone remember the Corby girls ? :) ATB Steve

There were lots of great Corby girls. Liz was the pill expert, had a copy of Mimms at her gaff. I was smitten by Cathryn & Liz and still have all nighter letters from them, written on a Monday to me at uni, telling me all about their weekend up north.

Social source share

Guest martyn

Photos of Inside Bletsoe

Source Gill Hillel's FB

Links removed following request from the facebook user they belonged to.

Shame - I'd have loved to have seen them , when I started this thread I hoped some pics might turn up to give me an insight......Oh well, maybe the person will have second thoughts

Social source share

The photos belong to the person who owns them maybe her permission should of been asked before they were used .

My apologies to all concerned, I had no idea that I was breaking rules etc.

My origonol link was to Gills home page with a source acknowledgement.

To you, Gill and anyone else who has been offended by my attempts to show the soul source community the only photos that I'm aware of Bletsoe please accept my sincere apologies.

PD

Social source share

Guest Chiefy

John Tappenden (RIP), myself (Paul Brennan), and Smelly George (RIP) were sound, Chiefy was, and still, a seriously dodgy geezer :yes:

That,s not very nice mate :shhh: Won,t show ya how to fish next time we meet on the bank.

Got sent this link by a mate who came across it by chance. Great to see the photos and see some of the old haunts and faces and sad to hear of some deaths. All the venues were great in my vague recollection but loved the black horse L-buzzard as I knew everyone and never got the horrors and the booze was cheap :( Out of the others Kelmarsh, Harborough and Wilby seemed special as I was so young and the magic seemed extra special though they all had that blockers buzz from the torch which seemed flash at the time and Bletsoe which definatly wasn,t.Anyone remember the night the back of me strides fell out from sitting in battery acid in Gareths (makyate) mini at the saints + sinners? Got quite a few piccies still of faces in them little booths at the motorway services if anyones interested. A.T.B. H.

l

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!