Bletsoe Allnighters

Guest martyn

On 12/08/2008 at 18:08, Guest martyn said:

Before my time on the scene ,I'm told there were nighters held in Bletsoe (on the A6 in Bedfordshire).Ive been working near there of late & can't for the life of me think of a more unlikely village to cater for a soul do ! :rolleyes:

So,

1.Did they really happen ?

2.What year?

3.Where exactly in the village?

4.What were they like?

Just curious like ! Any stories ?

Thanks

Yes Martyn there was a regular weekly all-nighter in Bletsoe. Must have been 1971/2/3 time. Ask Delbert Brown, Ian Brown and Glenn Bellamy I’m sure they will remember. Used to be the reason to wait for the weekend!

Social source share

• 6 months later...
On 12/08/2008 at 18:54, Guest toby said:

I have been told by well known soul people these nighters DID go on,ask Ady Croasdell he went to them as far as i can recall,also maybe Glen Belamy he once mentioned them to me,

Ona different take of the A6 theres a place called SOULDROP yes its a village,it used to have a nightclub called Castaways between Bedford/ rushden they used to hold a great soul night in here run by Dave Chase if i recall,i still have some old flyers from the day,ill try and dig them out and scan for you.

As far as Bletsoe goes yes it is true they had nighters there..

Haven't read all the posts on this thread but just in case it hasn't been mentioned ... I brought Lou Ragland over to the UK in 1990 for around a dozen gigs. I was living in Northampton at the time & hanging around with Cliff Steeles crowd ... ANYWAY ... one of the gigs we had Lou R do was at the club in SOULDROP (Castaways ?). Like all the other venues on that tour, I have loads of pics of that night somewhere here. I even designed & made the tickets for the event in Souldrop ... to ensure fake tickets weren't made, I used a rubber ink stamp of a 'North Point' (Civil Engs tool for plans / maps made back then) using different coloured ink to the rest of the ticket. Didn't think to keep back a 'spare' as a momento though.    

Social source share

There were all-nighters at Bletsoe - Delbert Brown played there. I can’t remember whether they were in old pig sty’s or whether that was Kelmarsh. Glen Bellamy would know. Had a stroke so have problems remembering but I do remember loving it there until it was closed down and then we all went off to the Torch!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!