Pete S

• Replies 40
  • Views 4.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

• 2 years later...

He does have multiple copies. When I bought one from him he offered me some more. I give them to friends who I know like Otis.

It is a very interesting record - it was a demo done for Wilson Picket to record - I believe Otis plays guitar and Dan Penn 'drums' on a box. I really like it.

It is featured in Nick Hornby's book 'Hi Fidelity' - the gist of which is a woman tries to sell her 'cheating' husbands valuable collection for coppers - but the lead character declines, however, he takes a copy this.

It is also listed in Dave Marsh's great book of 1001 Rock and Soul singles 'The Heart Of Rock & Soul' - it comes in at 950. He was the person who innocently got the the record withdrawn when working as 'Rolling Stones' record reviews editor when he mentioned it to his lawyer who also acted for Atlantic and the Redding Estate. Zelma (Otis' widow) had not given permission to release it.

He claims to have bought the remaining stock which he gave away so I'm not sure where this dealer got his but I'm glad to have one (and a remaing 'spare!)

Mike

Social source share

I can't see ebay links at work but from the High Fidelity reference I figure you're talking about the Otis Redding 45 on Stone? A few dealers I know in the US have/had unplayed stock of this. I got a couple from Bob Blalock in Georgia. I really like the 45 & it is definitely filed in my collection. I really like to have "You left The Water Running" on 45 & the Otis Jam is fun too. They made it out to be some sort of rarity in High Fidelity (which it clearly isn't), probably through reading Dave Marsh's book, but the other stuff he mentions in the book (& what is shown in that deleted scene from the movie) is similar in perceived rarity from memory. Interesting 45.

Social source share

It is featured in Nick Hornby's book 'Hi Fidelity' - the gist of which is a woman tries to sell her 'cheating' husbands valuable collection for coppers - but the lead character declines, however, he takes a copy this.

Mike

Bit off topic, been a long time since I read the book or seen the movie (which itself is a rare occassion where the movie is just as good as the book) but isn't the cheating husbands collection made of UK rarities in the book and US rarities in the movie?

Social source share

Bit off topic, been a long time since I read the book or seen the movie (which itself is a rare occassion where the movie is just as good as the book) but isn't the cheating husbands collection made of UK rarities in the book and US rarities in the movie?

I think the records in the book are a pretty vague list, James Brown on King, Elvis & Beatles fan club 45s, Sex Pistols. The ones in the movie are definitely US, which makes sense with the setting of the film.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

He does have multiple copies. When I bought one from him he offered me some more. I give them to friends who I know like Otis.

It is a very interesting record - it was a demo done for Wilson Picket to record - I believe Otis plays guitar and Dan Penn 'drums' on a box. I really like it.

It is also listed in Dave Marsh's great book of 1001 Rock and Soul singles 'The Heart Of Rock & Soul' - it comes in at 950. He was the person who innocently got the the record withdrawn when working as 'Rolling Stones' record reviews editor when he mentioned it to his lawyer who also acted for Atlantic and the Redding Estate. Zelma (Otis' widow) had not given permission to release it.

He claims to have bought the remaining stock which he gave away so I'm not sure where this dealer got his but I'm glad to have one (and a remaing 'spare!)

Mike

It's often claimed that this is the original version of YLTWR (or, at least, the original demo) but Otis cut it, down at Fame and when he was producing an Arthur Conley session, in March 1967. Both Barbara Lynn's and Billy Young's versions had already been recorded and issued by then

It's a great version, in any event. Hard song to get wrong, really...

Social source share

what else is good on the Stone label? Earnest Jackson, what others?? I think I have others but can't remember what the heck they are... :lol:

Raw Meat or Fried Chicken? some funk thing...... maybe that's on Musicor?? I need to go dig through some boxes :yes:

Edited by Kris Holmes
Social source share

:lol: HI ALL PETE,,,THE ONE THAT GETS ME IS THE QUEEN OF FOOLS HICKORY UK DEMO, £950 6 MONTHS ALSO

THE ACTION EP WHICH IS QUITE HARD BUT AT £75 FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL PLAY IF YOU ARE MY AGE 4 TIMES TILL I SNUFF IT IS RARE (EVERY 5 YEARS) MIND YOU I HAVE STILL GOT A MINT DOBBY DOBSN 12" VERY RARE LOOKING FOR A UK TRADE, :yes: DAVE

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL PETE,,,THE ONE THAT GETS ME IS THE QUEEN OF FOOLS HICKORY UK DEMO, £950 6 MONTHS ALSO

THE ACTION EP WHICH IS QUITE HARD BUT AT £75 FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU WILL PLAY IF YOU ARE MY AGE 4 TIMES TILL I SNUFF IT IS RARE (EVERY 5 YEARS) MIND YOU I HAVE STILL GOT A MINT DOBBY DOBSN 12" VERY RARE LOOKING FOR A UK TRADE, :yes: DAVE

Dave, Larry Mac is after that Dobby Dobson, I saw him in Oldies on friday and he asked if I knew it, then I remembered you had it

Social source share

It's often claimed that this is the original version of YLTWR (or, at least, the original demo) but Otis cut it, down at Fame and when he was producing an Arthur Conley session, in March 1967. Both Barbara Lynn's and Billy Young's versions had already been recorded and issued by then

In the liner notes to The Otis Redding Story 2LP, Rob Bowman quotes Phil Walden, saying that YLTWR was recorded by Otis at Fame with Rick Hall drumming on a box, Phil Walden playing tambourine and Otis playing acoustic guitar and overdubbing two vocal parts. It was cut as a demo for Wilson Pickett (whose version is included on the Wicked Pickett LP). According to Phil Walden it was recorded in 1966, but apparently it was a bit later.

Social source share

It's a great version, in any event. Hard song to get wrong, really...

where did you get the March 1967 date from? That places it after the version on the "Wicked Pickett" LP which is from 1966.

I'd love to know the absolute correct chronological lineage of the song.... is it something like this??

Billy Young mid 1966 (the original?)

Barbara Lynn late 1966

Wilson Pickett late 1966

Otis Redding 1966 or 1967

James & Bobby Purify 1967

Maurice & Mac 1968

Sam & Dave 1969

Social source share

what else is good on the Stone label? Earnest Jackson, what others?? I think I have others but can't remember what the heck they are... :hatsoff2:

Raw Meat or Fried Chicken? some funk thing...... maybe that's on Musicor?? I need to go dig through some boxes :D

Fried Chicken - Funky DJ was issued on Stone. Very few other things were released on the label (7 or 8 or so), great stuff though!

Social source share

Fried Chicken - Funky DJ was issued on Stone. Very few other things were released on the label (7 or 8 or so), great stuff though!

yep, I managed to locate Fried Chicken - Funky DJ after typing that, haven't come across any others, maybe I only have a couple of earnest Jacksons, the Otis Redding & Fried Chicken (thought I had 1 or 2 more though.... maybe not).

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

where did you get the March 1967 date from? That places it after the version on the "Wicked Pickett" LP which is from 1966.

I'd love to know the absolute correct chronological lineage of the song.... is it something like this??

Billy Young mid 1966 (the original?)

Barbara Lynn late 1966

Wilson Pickett late 1966

Otis Redding 1966 or 1967

James & Bobby Purify 1967

Maurice & Mac 1968

Sam & Dave 1969

...er, from the original tape box in the vault at FAME, which makes it conclusive enough for me!

Otis cut it at the sessions for Arthur Conley's follow up to "Sweet Soul Music". The 'demo for Pickett' thing is pure nonsense. Why would the number one soul artist of the day cut a demo for the number two soul artist of the day, of a song that he didn't write?

Your chronology is right, I think. Some have suggested that Barbara Lynn's version was cut first, and that may be so - but it would seem logical that a FAME-cut version would be first, even though Dan Penn was also doing some stuff for Huey Meaux in Texas at around the same time.

Social source share

...er, from the original tape box in the vault at FAME, which makes it conclusive enough for me!

Otis cut it at the sessions for Arthur Conley's follow up to "Sweet Soul Music". The 'demo for Pickett' thing is pure nonsense. Why would the number one soul artist of the day cut a demo for the number two soul artist of the day, of a song that he didn't write?

Your chronology is right, I think. Some have suggested that Barbara Lynn's version was cut first, and that may be so - but it would seem logical that a FAME-cut version would be first, even though Dan Penn was also doing some stuff for Huey Meaux in Texas at around the same time.

Was Otis Redding also present when Billy Young cut his version at Fame? (According to, e.g., https://www.sirshambl...illy_young.html Billy Young's Jotis sides were recorded with Otis at Fame.) That might explain Phil Walden's story that he played on YLTWR with Otis before Pickett cut it, for a version that may not have been recorded/saved at the time.

Was Barbara Lynn's version indeed cut in Texas? Huey Meaux seems to have done some recordings at Fame with Lee Maye for instance around that time (according to, e.g., https://www.uncamarvy...hurleemaye.html ), so couldn't Barbara Lynn's version also have been recorded there?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Was Otis Redding also present when Billy Young cut his version at Fame? (According to, e.g., https://www.sirshambl...illy_young.html Billy Young's Jotis sides were recorded with Otis at Fame.) That might explain Phil Walden's story that he played on YLTWR with Otis before Pickett cut it, for a version that may not have been recorded/saved at the time.

Was Barbara Lynn's version indeed cut in Texas? Huey Meaux seems to have done some recordings at Fame with Lee Maye for instance around that time (according to, e.g., https://www.uncamarvy...hurleemaye.html ), so couldn't Barbara Lynn's version also have been recorded there?

I'd say it's very likely that Otis was present when the Billy Young version was cut. I've seen the union sheet for that Billy Young session, though, and Otis isn't listed among the singers and musicians,

Seen the tape box for Barbara's version, too. If the label on it was to be believed, it was cut in a studio in Pasadena, TX. that I can't currently remember the name of, but that Huey Meaux often used in the 60s, along with Cosimo's in N.O and Gold Star in Houston, which he later bought and renamed Sugar Hill, of course.

I think 'You'll Lose A Good Thing' was cut there, as well. And 'Oh Baby (We Got a Good Thing Going)' certainly was...

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

How different would things have panned out if that plane crash had never happened....?? Blows my mind that he could have still been alive & performing. RIP Otis (& the Bar Kays)

How cool was it going through the tape vault at Fame?? That sounds like it would have been an awesome day :hatsoff2:

Day? it's actually taken two separate week long trips, with a third to come before the year's out!

There are a lot of tapes there, y'know:lol:

Social source share

Day? it's actually taken two separate week long trips, with a third to come before the year's out!

There are a lot of tapes there, y'know:lol:

:hatsoff2:

tough work, but someone has to do it at some stage I guess.

So are they all really well labelled/catalogued or is there still a fair bit of "what the hell is this"?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

:hatsoff2:

tough work, but someone has to do it at some stage I guess.

So are they all really well labelled/catalogued or is there still a fair bit of "what the hell is this"?

...Actually it's a really well organised vault. Such 'mysteries' as there have been have come with the publishing demo reels, some of which don't have the performer identified.

Happily it's usually Dan Penn, so the voyage of discovery is generally a pleasant one!

Social source share

Such 'mysteries' as there have been have come with the publishing demo reels, some of which don't have the performer identified.

Happily it's usually Dan Penn, so the voyage of discovery is generally a pleasant one!

Cue:

Dan Penn - The FAME Songwriting Demos - CDKEND tba

Now wouldn't that be nice? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Cue:

Dan Penn - The FAME Songwriting Demos - CDKEND tba

Now wouldn't that be nice? :hatsoff2:

Careful what you wish for, my friend!!!!:D:lol::D:lol:

Actually we should be in a position to give out some news on many of our forthcoming Fame projects fairly soon. Dean, Alec and I still haven't finished copying all the tapes, and so it would be silly to announce firm projects until we do as we still have lots of potentially interesting repertoire to transfer.

But Alec and I will be going back to Muscle Shoals in early December to complete the copying, and once we've done that we'll be all revved up and ready to go!

I can tell Sourcers that the Fame CD reissues will be spearheaded by a 3CD boxed set along the lines of the "Take Me To The River" Southern Soul set, with 75 tracks covering the years 1961-1974 and including everything you might expect, plus lots of 'first time on CD' tracks and a few tasters from the unissued repertoire.

's gonna be great!

Social source share

Careful what you wish for, my friend!!!!:hatsoff2::lol::D:lol:

Actually we should be in a position to give out some news on many of our forthcoming Fame projects fairly soon. Dean, Alec and I still haven't finished copying all the tapes, and so it would be silly to announce firm projects until we do as we still have lots of potentially interesting repertoire to transfer.

But Alec and I will be going back to Muscle Shoals in early December to complete the copying, and once we've done that we'll be all revved up and ready to go!

I can tell Sourcers that the Fame CD reissues will be spearheaded by a 3CD boxed set along the lines of the "Take Me To The River" Southern Soul set, with 75 tracks covering the years 1961-1974 and including everything you might expect, plus lots of 'first time on CD' tracks and a few tasters from the unissued repertoire.

's gonna be great!

Serious question and not meant to be sarcastic in any way: do these things sell enough copies to justify the amount of work you all put into them?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Serious question and not meant to be sarcastic in any way: do these things sell enough copies to justify the amount of work you all put into them?

It's roundabouts and swings, really, mate - some don't do as well as we might hope they would, others do far better. Some of those that DO 'do far better' have cost less overall to license in than some that don't, and so it all evens out in the end, pretty much.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Seeing someone selling a copy of the record in question, Otis Redding on Stone, topday, I thought it would be interesting to go back to this topic which was originally about one seller advertising a copy every week for about 4 years but turned into a great thread about the actual recording of the song and Tony's trawls through the tape vaults....which have now actually been released on Ace kent records.

Social source share

Seeing someone selling a copy of the record in question, Otis Redding on Stone, topday, I thought it would be interesting to go back to this topic which was originally about one seller advertising a copy every week for about 4 years but turned into a great thread about the actual recording of the song and Tony's trawls through the tape vaults....which have now actually been released on Ace kent records.

Pete, as an interested NS learner, what is the artist and song title please?  All the ebay links have expired now.  I think the record in question is by Otis Redding on Stone(?) but I can`t see the title anywhere?

Thanks

Social source share

Pete, as an interested NS learner, what is the artist and song title please?  All the ebay links have expired now.  I think the record in question is by Otis Redding on Stone(?) but I can`t see the title anywhere?

Thanks

I think it was "You left the water running", I'm sure it was...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!