Rita Dacosta Info?

Guest Juddy

I was just searching for info on "Rita Dacosta" and saw a memorial for "Rita Dacosta Turrentine," former wife of jazz sax player (and, ah-hem, Pittsburgh native) Stanley Turrentine, from 2004.

Does anyone know if this is the same woman who did "Don't Bring Me Down"? I would imagine so - that singer has such a great jazz-styled voice, and "Rita Dacosta Turrentine" was apparently a jazz singer.

Anyone know of an online bio of Dacosta?

juddy

pixxburgh

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I was just searching for info on "Rita Dacosta" and saw a memorial for "Rita Dacosta Turrentine," former wife of jazz sax player (and, ah-hem, Pittsburgh native) Stanley Turrentine, from 2004.

Does anyone know if this is the same woman who did "Don't Bring Me Down"? I would imagine so - that singer has such a great jazz-styled voice, and "Rita Dacosta Turrentine" was apparently a jazz singer...

juddy

pixxburgh

Fascinating. One of our "lost heroines" married to the great Stanley Turrentine?! - Wouldn't that be a turn-up for the books?

Social source share

• 12 years later...

In March 1971 Rita was 'slatted' to marry jazz bassist Herman Wright ( maybe this was mis-reported at the time?), Of course it's possible she married at least twice, once to Wright & once Turrentine?

here's a 1971 Pic.

Rita DaCosta pic.JPG

Edited by Kenb
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, LetterQween said:

Thanks so much Tomangoes! I had no idea this record existed or was so popular

You are welcome.

Had she not sadly died in 2004, I'm sure she would have been invited to sing her songs in the UK and Europe, as many of her contempories did.

Seeing is believing. When her track is played at a large soul event, you could have a 1000 fans dancing and singing word for word to that song. 

An original copy is highly sought after and very valuable.

Her career and achievements were obviously world famous, and you can be proud of her.

Ed

Social source share

10 hours ago, LetterQween said:

Hi! Rita DaCosta was my godmother. She was a great world reknown jazz singer. She stopped singing in her prime I'm not sure why. She performed one last time in Riverbank Park shortly before she passed. She was a wonderful woman. She was warn and glamorous. The most glamorous woman I've ever known. She was kind and maternal. She was so funny and witty. She was stunning. Im actually starting to do research on her life so if anyone can share info I'd really appreciate it. 

If you ring this number and speak to Don Dacosta he should help +1 702-695-9686

email below
crossroadsentertainmentlv@gmail.com

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 14/08/2008 at 08:21, Guest Juddy said:

Does anyone know if this is the same woman who did "Don't Bring Me Down"? I would imagine so - that singer has such a great jazz-styled voice, and "Rita Dacosta Turrentine" was apparently a jazz singer.

Anyone know of an online bio of Dacosta?

juddy

pixxburgh

You could tell that Rita was a Jazz singer by her singing style, even on this Soul song.  It's sung like a Jazz singer singing a Broadway show tune.  So, she was married to my favourite Jazz musician!  I never knew that.  One learns something new every day (besides forgetting other things). 🤪

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!