100 Club

Great night at the 100 Club.

Warren was on when we arrived spinning some dancable numbers. Great sets by Pete H and Dave Rimmer's uptempo R&B stormers were a sensation! All the dj's did themselves proud with many a dancefloor winner.

Had a really good time last night, not too packed, room to dance - just how I like it. :)

Plenty of happy shiny faces as the gallery pics here will show.

Looking forward to the anniversary. :thumbsup:

Edited by Simsy
  • Replies 39
  • Views 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Great night at the100 club,quality tunes played. Andy BB and Carrots leaving do,loads of old faces had a right laugh.Good to see Guy out again.Night went far too quick. Thanks to Dave for R.Perri and Ady for Puzzles. :thumbsup: How good is that Little Willie John tune..Roll on Septembers anniversary. Nick

Edited by nick hackett

Loved spinning my set of tunes last night. Got there just in time for my first set. Didn't realise it was Andy's and Carrot's leaving do - still, it'll be nice to have somewhere hot to go to for our hols. Lovely to see Donna out and about again - she looked great after the baby. Great crowd and the usual 100 club atmosphere and I'm looking forward to the anniversary.

My plays were

Manny Corchado - pow-wow Decca

Freddie Butler - Pitter Patter - M and M

Gene Toones - What more do you want - Simco

Revels - I want a new love - Trent Town

Johnny and Jake - I need your help baby - MOD

Pucho and the Latin Soul Brothers - You are my sunshine - Prestige

Joe Matthews - Ain't nothing you can do - Kool Kat

Carl Underwood - Ain't you lying - Merging

Ray Medina - Head's head - Mares

Eula Cooper - Let our love grow higher - Super Sound

TNT Band - The meditation - Cotique

Betty Lavette - Stand up like a man - Calla

Hayes Cotton - Black wings have my angel - Resist

Hector Rivera - I want a chance for romance - Barry

David Coleman - Drown my heart - Barry

Mae Young - Lets give our love a try - Big Mack

Liberaton St Singers - Love is in the air - Pentagram

Jock Mitchell - I got to know - Impact

George Perkins - Baby I love you - Royal Steel

Voices Inc - Thinking - Columbia

7th Avenue Aviators - You should have held on - Congress

Dooley Sisters - Spider in the web R-dell

Little Tommy - Baby can't you see - Sounds of Soul

The Dramatics - All because of you - Sport

Otis Lee - Hard road to hoe - Quaint

Lewise Bethune - Chi-town Boogaloo

Bobby Valentin - Use it before you lose it - Fania

Paris - Sleepless nights - Doc

Mike Pedicin - Burnt toast and black coffee - Federal

Vikki Styles - The tears won't stop falling - Odex

Dillilah Moore - It takes love - Middle Earth

Carbon copies - Just don't love you - Git Down

Fascinations - Girls are out to get you - Sue

Edited by boogaloo

I thought Saturday night was a right good 'un too. Warren never disappoints with his sets and played a good mix of all styles seamlessly.

Dave Rimmer's sets were brilliant too.. thanks for playing the Idols!

Ady did ok for a part timer (or should that be old timer?) :thumbup::P

Lovely to see Donna out. I'm sure she appreciated the break! And sad that it was Carrots and Andy's farewell do. :lol: Still, as Warren said, somewhere to go on holiday. Only if they have a pool and air conditioning though. I'm not roughing it..

A good night, whats with the Backdoor bizaar.........you can buy just about anything except anniversary tickets :unsure:

T Shirts and dildoes, it was all going on. Get a few Yorkshire pork pies sent down and you can have the concession.

Tickets are being printed and sent out early next week, sorry about the inevitable delay folks. I'm blaming the baby but I'm not sure which one; him or me.

Guest Mrs Simsy

T Shirts and dildoes, it was all going on. Get a few Yorkshire pork pies sent down and you can have the concession.

Tickets are being printed and sent out early next week, sorry about the inevitable delay folks. I'm blaming the baby but I'm not sure which one; him or me.

I miss all the good nights! :unsure:

I must say both the Little Willie John tracks sounded great.

It was great to chat to you again Tony , yes the Willie Johns sounded great , sure the 1st one will go big ,great vocals and superb sax/ horn work going on .Good to hear the Jackie Day , plus that " Demures " sounded great Ady .Nice to meet Pete and Karen from Hull properly , plus catch up with The Widd , Dave Rimmer plus Roger and Sue who live literally 5 minutes from me , but I never see at home !! Great night .....Best ,Eddie

Oh yes, but he actually sold a dildo as well, and me and Ken know who to :unsure::ohmy:

Hmmm, now what was that record I was looking for ? Might get it cheap now :ohmy:

It was a great night, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially as I got to DJ as well. I'd normally have sorted a playlist by now, but since getting home (Big thanks to Mark Ellis who gave me a lift) I've succumbed to the dreaded manflu / cold lurgi, and feel like shit, so haven't even opened the box to look yet.

Oh yes, but he actually sold a dildo as well, and me and Ken know who to :unsure::ohmy:

Hmmm, now what was that record I was looking for ? Might get it cheap now :ohmy:

It was a great night, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself, especially as I got to DJ as well. I'd normally have sorted a playlist by now, but since getting home (Big thanks to Mark Ellis who gave me a lift) I've succumbed to the dreaded manflu / cold lurgi, and feel like shit, so haven't even opened the box to look yet.

The lady in question said quote,i should have got loads of em' for me mates $80+ in Canada :lol:

Guest Caroline Gration

The lady in question said quote,i should have got loads of em' for me mates $80+ in Canada :thumbup:

Yes, you should've - you fule. I bought a selection of 5 for a tenner and took them down the Net Bar and the Pasty Shop. I was under the impression from the salesman that he'd sold quite a few in the Gents, actually.

Yes, you should've - you fule. I bought a selection of 5 for a tenner and took them down the Net Bar and the Pasty Shop. I was under the impression from the salesman that he'd sold quite a few in the Gents, actually.

....and The metal flake Rabbit makes for a interesting centrepiece for the table.

Guest Caroline Gration

....and The metal flake Rabbit makes for a interesting centrepiece for the table.

Yes. They were in full agreement when I put The Rabbit on the counter at The Pasty Shop next to the condiments.

Yes - great night all round on Saturday. Really enjoyed miself. Nice to get to hear Butch's new plays - 4 Perfections c/u, Total Warmth c/u, Wally Dee to name but a few! Nice to know there's someone out there keeping the quality up and championing proper soul records!

Warren - didn't take you long to turn up the Re-Vel's and the George Perkins. It could only have been two weeks ago I played them to you. Well done mate.

Caroline - my dinner table's looking a bit barren lately - any chance of borrowing your rabbit to brighten it up a bit?

BTW - great to see Ion back behind the decks at the 100 Club after so long.

Yes - great night all round on Saturday. Really enjoyed miself. Nice to get to hear Butch's new plays - 4 Perfections c/u, Total Warmth c/u, Wally Dee to name but a few! Nice to know there's someone out there keeping the quality up and championing proper soul records!

Warren - didn't take you long to turn up the Re-Vel's and the George Perkins. It could only have been two weeks ago I played them to you. Well done mate.

George Perkins tooooooooooooooooooooooneroooooony. That and the Johnny and Jake are the best £20ers I've bought for ages.

Guest SteveC

That and the Johnny and Jake are the best £20ers I've bought for ages.

Mae Young, Johnny & Jake...... whistling.gif you're going to all the right places Warren :D

Great set!!!

Was the Little Willie John toon the "Loneliness" one - if so awesome!!!

Mae Young, Johnny & Jake...... whistling.gif you're going to all the right places Warren :D

Great set!!!

Was the Little Willie John toon the "Loneliness" one - if so awesome!!!

Steve:

Loneliness is by Little Willie Johnson on Vendella's from Savannah, Georgia. The tracks under discussion here are unreleased album tracks from R&B legend Little Willie John cut in LA towards the end of his career, produced by HB Barnum and arranged by David Axelrod. They sounded pretty good when played by Ady on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

best,

gareth

Edited by garethx

The Norwich duo had a fantastic night - musically a treat with Latin, R 'n B, stompers, floaters (couldn't resist that Toby!) and a touch of Funk! Being dancers we were well pleased that the Floor Policeman was on the ball and keeping drinks off the floor which was decent all night imho.

Good to chat to Andy Rattigan (wot a nice chap and very knowledgable) Carrie Mehome, Gert Mark and some youngsters from North London who were there for the first time and absolutely lovin' it!!

Great to see Ion the Greek and some interesting tunes in his short spot - Billy Floyd "My oh My"" sounding great, and Mr Darge - just a delight to watch!!

Mark C

Guest Carrie Mehome

Yeah great to meet you too Mark! The "Floor Policeman" was straight onto me like bees to honey. I was having a drink at a table just off the dancefloor but because I was standing up and had one foot on the dancefloor and one foot off the dancefloor he started having a go at me - talk about jobsworth but yeah better to have him there there than not at all. Hello to everyone else (still recovering believe it or not...)

The Norwich duo had a fantastic night - musically a treat with Latin, R 'n B, stompers, floaters (couldn't resist that Toby!) and a touch of Funk! Being dancers we were well pleased that the Floor Policeman was on the ball and keeping drinks off the floor which was decent all night imho.

Good to chat to Andy Rattigan (wot a nice chap and very knowledgable) Carrie Mehome, Gert Mark and some youngsters from North London who were there for the first time and absolutely lovin' it!!

Great to see Ion the Greek and some interesting tunes in his short spot - Billy Floyd "My oh My"" sounding great, and Mr Darge - just a delight to watch!!

Mark C

Yeah great to meet you too Mark! The "Floor Policeman" was straight onto me like bees to honey. I was having a drink at a table just off the dancefloor but because I was standing up and had one foot on the dancefloor and one foot off the dancefloor he started having a go at me - talk about jobsworth but yeah better to have him there there than not at all. Hello to everyone else (still recovering believe it or not...)

If that was the rather hip looking black guy we'll make sure he does it again. Halfway through my set he came up to me on stage and I thought "uh oh, we've got trouble", but all he said was what was that "Runaway Girl" track. It was the unissued Hytones one. So not only does he do his job but he's got exquisite taste!

Had a bangin' night..........flew into B'mouth, dropped Jenny & Izak off............jumped in the motor & hammered it down to Oxford St in time for 11 pm.........brilliant to see Ion & his cameo behind the decks was well received as per............great to hear Willie Dee (Darrington) from Butch amongst other gems, including the awesome Roy Roberts on Sugar & 'Reality' Ice...........thought the Little Willie John cuts were fab Ady. Good to see Eddie Hubbard, had a great crack with Marco & Tony, the Canadian girls were a hoot, but Im not sure they quite got the 'grizzly bear & canoe' humour' :thumbup: All in all a pretty damn fine night.............BTW can we please have Walter Jackson back Ady as the lights go on & we're saying our goodbyes.............missed it the last few.

Russ

Had a bangin' night..........flew into B'mouth, dropped Jenny & Izak off............jumped in the motor & hammered it down to Oxford St in time for 11 pm.........brilliant to see Ion & his cameo behind the decks was well received as per............great to hear Willie Dee (Darrington) from Butch amongst other gems, including the awesome Roy Roberts on Sugar & 'Reality' Ice...........thought the Little Willie John cuts were fab Ady. Good to see Eddie Hubbard, had a great crack with Marco & Tony, the Canadian girls were a hoot, but Im not sure they quite got the 'grizzly bear & canoe' humour' :thumbup: All in all a pretty damn fine night.............BTW can we please have Walter Jackson back Ady as the lights go on & we're saying our goodbyes.............missed it the last few.

Russ

Walter's gone walkies, but I'll find him for the anniversary. Those Canadians were a mixed blessing, very jolly but when they took a photo of me with the gobby one, she wrenched my nipple just as the flash went. I'm sure it'll make a great photo but I could have done without it at 5 am.

It was a very encouraging and enthusiastic attendance and i was well pleased with the whole shebang. Apart from more agro with the decks which will be sorted by the anniversary. Sorry about the Kenny Carter Eddie, it was in Harboro, but you're coming down in Sept so I'll defo play it then.

Cheers

Ady

Had a bangin' night..........flew into B'mouth, dropped Jenny & Izak off............jumped in the motor & hammered it down to Oxford St in time for 11 pm.........brilliant to see Ion & his cameo behind the decks was well received as per............great to hear Willie Dee (Darrington) from Butch amongst other gems, including the awesome Roy Roberts on Sugar & 'Reality' Ice...........thought the Little Willie John cuts were fab Ady. Good to see Eddie Hubbard, had a great crack with Marco & Tony, the Canadian girls were a hoot, but Im not sure they quite got the 'grizzly bear & canoe' humour' :D All in all a pretty damn fine night.............BTW can we please have Walter Jackson back Ady as the lights go on & we're saying our goodbyes.............missed it the last few.

Russ

Splendid to see yo too old boy. Yes - the Canadian girls - they were sports weren't they? Not sure who twisted who's melon the most, to be honest. Hmmm... Willie Dee... and how good did Jimmy Gresham sound!?

Can't wait for the next one - hopefully the petition will have made itself felt! :wave:

Splendid to see yo too old boy. Yes - the Canadian girls - they were sports weren't they? Not sure who twisted who's melon the most, to be honest. Hmmm... Willie Dee... and how good did Jimmy Gresham sound!?

Can't wait for the next one - hopefully the petition will have made itself felt! :thumbup:

:D:lol::D .............great night & fab company.

Russ

Guest SteveC

Steve:

Loneliness is by Little Willie Johnson on Vandella's from Savannah, Georgia. The tracks under discussion here are unreleased album tracks from R&B legend Little Willie John cut in LA towards the end of his career, produced by HB Barnum and arranged by David Axelrod. They sounded pretty good when played by Ady on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

best,

gareth

Thank you Gareth - which year/s are considered to be his career ending ones - just coz i'm to lazy to google him :P

Thank you Gareth - which year/s are considered to be his career ending ones - just coz i'm to lazy to google him :P

He died two years after recording this album which was cut while on parole for a long prison sentence so it's his only recorded music from the last years of his life. Prior to that his last release was probably with King about 1963, his career had stalled and he killed someone in a fight in 1964 so perhaps he was banged up from then to the conviction in 1966, the same year as these recordings.

Guest SteveC

He died two years after recording this album which was cut while on parole for a long prison sentence so it's his only recorded music from the last years of his life. Prior to that his last release was probably with King about 1963, his career had stalled and he killed someone in a fight in 1964 so perhaps he was banged up from then to the conviction in 1966, the same year as these recordings.

Chers Ady - spot on as I was curious as to whether it was in the "wishy washy" era or not (its not and am just waiting for the the Russmeister to scold me ref: my description of crossover) :yes:

Am I correct in saying he's Mable John's brother ? Best ,Eddie

Loneliness is by Little Willie Johnson on Vandella's from Savannah, Georgia

This is an incredible rhythm & soul record. The much sought after deep flip (with a pic) can be heard on Sir Shambling's site. JT has put up Loneliness in the Refosoul section.

Records of the night for me were the Big Tim & The Empires acetate, (wowsers) and the Total Warmth & of course the awesome Roy Roberts on Sugar. One of the best finds in ages imho.

Is this George Perkins getting lots of action then? Great record!

Edited by mulf

Chers Ady - spot on as I was curious as to whether it was in the "wishy washy" era or not (its not and am just waiting for the the Russmeister to scold me ref: my description of crossover) :yes:

Stand by young Stephen............cos if I end up driving on Sunday Im gonna get my own back for that remark............ :yes::yes::yes: .....you better pray Dave wants to give the Audi a run out !!!!.

Russ

Loneliness is by Little Willie Johnson on Vandella's from Savannah, Georgia

This is an incredible rhythm & soul record. The much sought after deep flip (with a pic) can be heard on Sir Shambling's site. JT has put up Loneliness in the Refosoul section.

Records of the night for me were the Big Tim & The Empires acetate, (wowsers) and the Total Warmth & of course the awesome Roy Roberts on Sugar. One of the best finds in ages imho.

Is this George Perkins getting lots of action then? Great record!

I have this on a MP3, a guy was selling some records on Ebay and this was in the lot he had, don't remember it being on 33??

I filed it last year in July, so there is no 45 issue.

Oh think I have it now Ady has an unissued track and this one is from Vandella's 45 doh!.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Guest SteveC

Stand by young Stephen............cos if I end up driving on Sunday Im gonna get my own back for that remark............ :)laugh.gif:yes: .....you better pray Dave wants to give the Audi a run out !!!!.

Russ

Oh thats good then - that'll be my CD's in MY car to and from Gloucester then lol BTW we're in the Audi on Sunday so a wishy washy NFM trip no doubt.