Delegation On State Records

• Replies 19
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest TONY ROUNCE

There's a much rarer pressing of it on State - the first issue, with the group name shown as "Rumours". They changed it because Fleetwood Mac issued their LP of that name at virtually the same time...

Social source share

Isn't that the original version Jordi?

Sure Tony R will know?

Cheers

Steve

I have a feeling it might be Steve, a check on the writers might be a clue but I can't look as I'm at work. Interestingly I used to play in a band with a brilliant bass player, and his uncle used to be in Delegation back in the 70's.

Jordi

Social source share

I have a feeling it might be Steve, a check on the writers might be a clue but I can't look as I'm at work. Interestingly I used to play in a band with a brilliant bass player, and his uncle used to be in Delegation back in the 70's.

Jordi

Dene/Gold isn't it?

used to write for Delegation & other Brit groups, that's why I assumed it was the original and promptly pulled when Aretha & Jackie wanted to record it!

Uncle Tony will sort us out I'm sure wink.gif

As has been mentioned they are a good little group and of course their 'One more step to take' still gets plenty of spins on the Modern scene!

Would loved to have seen you on them bongos mate - bet you had a little goatee and looked as cool as f**k :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

How was TURKIYE smile.gif

it was very hot Nev and them little turks were not up for wrestling done my normal five mile walk everymorning getting ready to wrestle COL DENHAM on sat night,tell him the greek wants it out with him if you see him before me :thumbsup: will try and get over friday if poss mate,if not send me your address again ive got that joe tex for you!

BAZ A

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Dene/Gold isn't it?

used to write for Delegation & other Brit groups, that's why I assumed it was the original and promptly pulled when Aretha & Jackie wanted to record it!

Uncle Tony will sort us out I'm sure wink.gif

As has been mentioned they are a good little group and of course their 'One more step to take' still gets plenty of spins on the Modern scene!

Would loved to have seen you on them bongos mate - bet you had a little goatee and looked as cool as f**k :yes:

Cheers

Steve

I have a feeling that Jackie W. might actually have recorded "Happens" first, as he'd already been in his coma for around a year before Rumours/Delegation released their version. But theirs does have a simple, demo-like quality (and only the lead singer appears on it, from memory) so it might have been the demo for Jackie that just got slung onto the B side of "The Promise Of Love" to save recording another track!

Really love Delegation - they would have been so much bigger, had they not existed in the shadow of the Real Thing. None of their records are valuable, but "Where Is The Love We Used To Know" is one of the best UK soul records ever, And possibly even better than that is "Oh Honey" - as any collector of Low Rider Soul will know!

Ken Gold and Mickey Denne was/is a great songwriting team, too. Very underrated...

Social source share

While we're on the subject.

Does anyone know how JW came to record the UK song, it doesn't seem to fit in with the other material he recorded which was sourced from the regular writers in Chicago ?

Also I have a Spanish copy on zaforo, the other side is a ballad, "Where is love by Sonny Sanders and others yet the picture sleeve states "Nobody but you" It must be the right cover because the numbers match up.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

I take it it was issued in US?

Social source share

Didn´t see this thread until now. Interestingly, today I listened to several Delegation 45s and LPs + the Denne & Gold album on which they do their own versions of some of those hits. Will perhaps post a clip tomorrow from that Denne & Gold LP, there was one track in particular that I really liked.

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

While we're on the subject.

Does anyone know how JW came to record the UK song, it doesn't seem to fit in with the other material he recorded which was sourced from the regular writers in Chicago ?

Also I have a Spanish copy on zaforo, the other side is a ballad, "Where is love by Sonny Sanders and others yet the picture sleeve states "Nobody but you" It must be the right cover because the numbers match up.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

JACKIE RECORDED IT ONLY HAPPENS, FOR HIS FINAL LP NOBODY BUT YOU IN 1975, ALSO ON THIS LP IS ANOTHER GOLD/DEENE SONG THE SUBLIME, YOUR THE SONG THAT I CANT STOP SINGING(HIS GREATEST RECORDING, IMHO). REFERENCE THE SPANISH ZAFIRO COPY, IT HAS AN IDENTICAL PIC COVER TO THE USA COPY OF THE NOBODY BUT YOU LP. IT ONLY HAPPENS NEVER CAME OUT IN THE USA ON 45.

BRI PINCH.

Edited by bri pinch
Social source share

Didn´t see this thread until now. Interestingly, today I listened to several Delegation 45s and LPs + the Denne & Gold album on which they do their own versions of some of those hits. Will perhaps post a clip tomorrow from that Denne & Gold LP, there was one track in particular that I really liked.

Was it 'Why do we hurt each other'? Catchy dancer from the D & G LP that's had a few plays?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!