Who, What, Where!?

Guest Nik Mak

Think of all those poor sods that know all about this rare gem in the crowd, they will have to suffer in silence so that YOU can try gain street cred through the records excellence.

They will know you have'nt got the original and that you had never heard of it till just recent. You should just book one of the DJ's that have it for the night and request it to be played, you can't beat the real thing played out in its original format.

:P

Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 94
  • Views 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest soulmaguk

:P

What does this > :lol: mean??

Think I boo'd someone off stage the other week in scarborough for playing Larry Clinton on Grapevine, he was asking for it.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Think of all those poor sods that know all about this rare gem in the crowd, they will have to suffer in silence so that YOU can try gain street cred through the records excellence.

They will know you have'nt got the original and that you had never heard of it till just recent. You should just book one of the DJ's that have it for the night and request it to be played, you can't beat the real thing played out in its original format.

Now Now let's not get too serious...I don't need a record to give me any credability or street cred (What ever the hell that is?)this is the Northern Soul scene street cred went out the window years ago. Quite frankly I couldn't give a toss my history speaks for itself. I did know the track but under a different name. Had the album way back when but re-discovered the tracks just recently....HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING ANYTHING OFF A CARVER. To be honest apart from a few anul retentives most people wouldn't give a monkies gonnad what it was played from. But for my own preference I will play it when I get the original.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

:lol:

:lol: Spot on Mike.......This was fun.......... for a while. If anyone out there can point me in the direction of the tune in it's original format or the re-release, please get in touch. Thanks to everyone who joined in it was a laugh. I'm off to my pressing plant in the garden.......... :lol:

Atb.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

Now Now let's not get too serious...I don't need a record to give me any credability or street cred (What ever the hell that is?)this is the Northern Soul scene street cred went out the window years ago. Quite frankly I couldn't give a toss my history speaks for itself. I did know the track but under a different name. Had the album way back when but re-discovered the tracks just recently....HAVE NO INTENTION OF PLAYING ANYTHING OFF A CARVER. To be honest apart from a few anul retentives most people wouldn't give a monkies gonnad what it was played from. But for my own preference I will play it when I get the original.

:thumbup:

Social source share

Guest SteveC

Nik; there's only a handful of copies - TimB, MickH, CarlF, someone whose names escapes me right now, and i think only a couple more...

A res at Burnley must have it coz it gets played out regularly there. Pretty sure that would be a real one too :thumbup:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I just played the sound file Nik, remind me what the record is called again laugh.gif

William Powell 'Heartache Souvenirs' Powerhouse. Ultra, ultra rare! 3 to 5K if you can find a copy! Awesome tune but one that only the honoured few will be able to play because if (God forbid!) you were to play a boot of it the whole scene as we know it would come crashing around our collective ears! Is it any wonder that the scene is shrinking so fast when there are anul retentives everywhere you turn? :lol: .

Edited by Nik Mak
Social source share

Guest Trevski

The lyrics of William Powell really annoy me. "The tear-stained pillow I cried on" "The hankerchief I dried my tears with" "All these things are heartache souveniers" All these things?? It's just two things repeated over and over ya gimp!

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

William Powell 'Heartache Souvenirs' Powerhouse. Ultra, ultra rare! 3 to 5K if you can find a copy! Awesome tune but one that only the honoured few will be able to play because if (God forbid!) you were to play a boot of it the whole scene as we know it would come crashing around our collective ears! Is it any wonder that the scene is shrinking so fast when there are anul retentives everywhere you turn? yes.gif .

Chill out Nik Mak, it's only a record! Really want to pop down now and check your do out Bank Holiday, that's gonna be a cracker mate. Probably cant get a way this time but will make it there soon. Am going to Newquay Weekender week after if your up for it, it would be a pleasure to meet you, your enthusiasm for the scene is very special.

Warmest Regards

Jock.

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

The lyrics of William Powell really annoy me. "The tear-stained pillow I cried on" "The hankerchief I dried my tears with" "All these things are heartache souveniers" All these things?? It's just two things repeated over and over ya gimp!

"Gonna put these souveniers, in my heartache scrapbook"

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Chill out Nik Mak, it's only a record! Really want to pop down now and check your do out Bank Holiday, that's gonna be a cracker mate. Probably cant get a way this time but will make it there soon. Am going to Newquay Weekender week after if your up for it, it would be a pleasure to meet you, your enthusiasm for the scene is very special.

Warmest Regards

Jock.

Hey Jock just keeping the thread going....It's all with toungue in cheek honest. Ask Tim I'm always giving him stick about the Rock n Roll he plays! thumbup.gif

Try and get to the next one (October 11th) as the line up is another strong one. Dave Thorley in the Northern Room and Shaun Robbins in the modern room. I'll keep in contact let you know how I get on picking this tune up. & your right it's only a record.......But HEY WHAT A RECORD!!!! :lol: Have a great weekend.

Social source share

Playing a boot of this would be taking the piss out those who actually own originals.

For what it's worth I think this is an awful record, but I respect the right of those who own it, whether by good fortune or by the sweat of their brow, to be concerned about anyone deejaying with a counterfeit. If it's to play in the privacy of your own home, fair enough; but at an event with paying customers: that's simply cheating.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

"Gonna put these souveniers, in my heartache scrapbook"

Not a very large book then...... 2 pages, more of a heartache pamphlet really! :laugh:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Playing a boot of this would be taking the piss out those who actually own originals.

For what it's worth I think this is an awful record, but I respect the right of those who own it, whether by good fortune or by the sweat of their brow, to be concerned about anyone deejaying with a counterfeit. If it's to play in the privacy of your own home, fair enough; but at an event with paying customers: that's simply cheating.

Ha!Ha!HA! Look I started this thread to find out about a tune I happen to like. Didn't expect to have to debate the good or bad of playing boots. I don't happen to agree with your sentiment totally as it is THAT SENTIMENT THAT HAS HELPED TO KEEP THE SCENE SHRINKING year after year. But I don't play bootlegs out of choice. If someone wants to play them that's fine with me I just want to hear great music. Takeing your statement to a conclusion your fine with Dj's spinning Grapevine issues from the 80's as they are original releases in the Uk and all the royalties have been paid, yes? shades

1 record being played once in a blue moon ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference to anyone. Like Jock said IT's A RECORD! If it wasn't for bootlegs & pressings half the records we love would have never seen the light of day on the scene as only 1 or 2 people would have had them so they would have never got the exposure they needed to become big tunes & ultimately classics. In my opinion collecting is different from Djing and the two should not be confused. You pay 5k for a record because there are only a few around and you want it for your collection. I Dj to entertain people and watch them have a good time. Does it matter if the record is a REAL one or a boot? No not really, not to the audiance. Sorry but life is too short. Hope you have a great weekend.

Atb.

Social source share

Ha!Ha!HA! Look I started this thread to find out about a tune I happen to like. Didn't expect to have to debate the good or bad of playing boots. I don't happen to agree with your sentiment totally as it is THAT SENTIMENT THAT HAS HELPED TO KEEP THE SCENE SHRINKING year after year. But I don't play bootlegs out of choice. If someone wants to play them that's fine with me I just want to hear great music. Takeing your statement to a conclusion your fine with Dj's spinning Grapevine issues from the 80's as they are original releases in the Uk and all the royalties have been paid, yes? shades.gif

1 record being played once in a blue moon ain't gonna make a blind bit of difference to anyone. Like Jock said IT's A RECORD! If it wasn't for bootlegs & pressings half the records we love would have never seen the light of day on the scene as only 1 or 2 people would have had them so they would have never got the exposure they needed to become big tunes & ultimately classics. In my opinion collecting is different from Djing and the two should not be confused. You pay 5k for a record because there are only a few around and you want it for your collection. I Dj to entertain people and watch them have a good time. Does it matter if the record is a REAL one or a boot? No not really, not to the audiance. Sorry but life is too short. Hope you have a great weekend.

Atb.

You dont get much Rock & Roll on Grapevine Nik, so i should be ok then. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

out of interest was this a late wigan spin or a stafford thingy and who discovered/played it first, :ph34r:

I think it was a Wigan spin for Richard Searling but fairly late on, towards the end. I got the Boot LP @ 79/80 and have always liked this tune.I re-discovered it recently and wanted to get hold of it in it's original format hence the post.

Social source share

I can send you an MP3 of William Powell if you want. Plug in your i-pod and 'deejay' anywhere you want with it to your hearts content: why bother even going through the rigmarole of getting a carver done? Or alternatively try to build an interesting and entertaining set out of real records you have got or can afford.

Social source share

I can send you an MP3 of William Powell if you want. Plug in your i-pod and 'deejay' anywhere you want with it to your hearts content: why bother even going through the rigmarole of getting a carver done? Or alternatively try to build an interesting and entertaining set out of real records you have got or can afford.

Whatever label or format or on - when you are on the dancefloor you can't see it and don't usually care

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

I really am getting ticked off with the patronising attitude people like you are potraying. I've been a dj for 43 years I play all over the world regularly, how long have you been doing it & where are you playing next? I've been collecting soul music since the age of 5 the first record I purchased was the Supremes 'Baby Love'. When did you start? I've also stated that I have no intention of playing a boot! But I have no problem with some one who does. I can also AFFORD to buy any frickin record I want (Luckily). My record collection stands at @ 30,000 so I have plenty of other tunes to choose from. I don't need an Mp3 as I already have the tune and a staight of the art recording studio to sort it out if I wanted to. I have also stated that I have no intention of getting a carver done! READ THE BLOODY THREAD BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS MATE. & if you can say with your hand on your heart that at no time have you EVER, EVER played a pressing or a boot then your a better MAN than me & fully deserve your honourary membership of the SOUL POLICE. :lol:

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Different guy Mark... I think!

I think this William Powell is a white guy (Think Rufus Lumley?). No white dudes in the O'Jays? :lol:

Social source share

I really am getting ticked off with the patronising attitude people like you are potraying. I've been a dj for 43 years I play all over the world regularly, how long have you been doing it & where are you playing next? I've been collecting soul music since the age of 5 the first record I purchased was the Supremes 'Baby Love'. When did you start? I've also stated that I have no intention of playing a boot! But I have no problem with some one who does. I can also AFFORD to buy any frickin record I want (Luckily). My record collection stands at @ 30,000 so I have plenty of other tunes to choose from. I don't need an Mp3 as I already have the tune and a staight of the art recording studio to sort it out if I wanted to. I have also stated that I have no intention of getting a carver done! READ THE BLOODY THREAD BEFORE YOU MAKE COMMENTS MATE. & if you can say with your hand on your heart that at no time have you EVER, EVER played a pressing or a boot then your a better MAN than me & fully deserve your honourary membership of the SOUL POLICE. thumbup.gif

Nik

On re-reading the thread I admit I've been harsh. Good luck in finding a Powerhouse copy of William Powell.

yours in soul,

gareth

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Nik

On re-reading the thread I admit I've been harsh. Good luck in finding a Powerhouse copy of William Powell.

yours in soul,

gareth

Thanks Gareth much appreciated. Not much hope in getting one but I will try.

regards

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Joking or not this is exactly the attitude that puts legions of people off attending soul nights .

I take your point and agree with you but I think this was done more toungue in cheek than it reads cold. I would really like to get back to the purpose of the thread if that's ok. DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL RECORD OR THE RE-RELEASE? thumbup.gif

Social source share

Guest soulmaguk

I take your point and agree with you but I think this was done more toungue in cheek than it reads cold. I would really like to get back to the purpose of the thread if that's ok. DOES ANYONE HAVE A COPY OF THE ORIGINAL RECORD OR THE RE-RELEASE? :thumbup:

A record like this Nik Mak might not just take plain old simple money to obtain. Lots of folk will have the cash waiting for such an original, you might have to wait a little while in a que.

Keep searching dude, you just never know what's under that pile of C&W records.

Jock.

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

A record like this Nik Mak might not just take plain old simple money to obtain. Lots of folk will have the cash waiting for such an original, you might have to wait a little while in a que.

Keep searching dude, you just never know what's under that pile of C&W records.

Jock.

I lived in the States for a few years (Florida & New York) and managed to locate some really interesting warehouses used to store old records (Privately owned). Some are still being used to day. Have banged off a load of e-mails with the scan to some freinds over there in the hope one of them will come up with something. Not saying it will work but it has in the past so we shall see. :thumbup:

Social source share

• 11 months later...
Guest soulmaguk

Aha, one has appeared. wonder how much its going to fetch? NORTHERN SOUL WILLIAM POWELL ~ HEARTACHE SOUVENIRS

Edited by soulmaguk
Social source share