Ebay Putting Up Fees Yet Again

Pete S

• Replies 31
  • Views 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

That is an incredible hike! £6 to £14.99, a 150 % increase.

Have they tried to justify it, I can't find it, or are they just so arrogant that they don't bother.

It's been a bad day all round, my favourite beer has gone up from £ 1.69 to £1.99 today also!

Done me a favour in a way.

Well I didn't miss the £6 a Month even though I didn't use it to it's full potential.

So basically they have Charged £6 a Month Shop fees without a ripple from me,

and possibly may have done so for a while, there to use if I needed it kind of thing.

Listed a few bits here and there, Albums, Non Soul etc. (Good 'Til Cancelled).

So they were on to a good thing really and I was OK about things.

£14.99 a Month, NOT A CHANCE.

tumbleweed3.gif £0 Now

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Done me a favour in a way.

Well I didn't miss the £6 a Month even though I didn't use it to it's full potential.

So basically they have Charged £6 a Month Shop fees without a ripple from me,

and possibly may have done so for a while, there to use if I needed it kind of thing.

Listed a few bits here and there, Albums, Non Soul etc. (Good 'Til Cancelled).

So they were on to a good thing really and I was OK about things.

£14.99 a Month, NOT A CHANCE.

tumbleweed3.gif £0 Now

have you had a look at soulbid.co.uk

max..

Social source share

Ebay are greedy and keep messing about with things but they can afford to because basically all these other sites mentioned above and the other competion are basically a complete load of tossers and waste of time and wont be around in a few months.

I personally love Ebay and reckon this thinning out of so called sellers and putting the incentive with the buyers is the best thing that can happen because there are too many sellers selling shite on there anyway.

Ebay is king and allways will be.

Social source share

Hmm the credit crunch strikes again. However i take around £200 out of my shop a month selling other types of music / videos/ books/ football programmes etc.

There is one improvement tucked away in the announcement. From 24th sept all shop items will show up in general searches which does not happen now.

Suppose i'll stick with it unless someone can come up with another alternative.

Thanks for the heads up on Soul Bid.

Derek

Social source share

Ebay are greedy and keep messing about with things but they can afford to because basically all these other sites mentioned above and the other competion are basically a complete load of tossers and waste of time and wont be around in a few months.

I personally love Ebay and reckon this thinning out of so called sellers and putting the incentive with the buyers is the best thing that can happen because there are too many sellers selling shite on there anyway.

I've got to take exception to your comments there pal. Why would you think I am a tosser? Is it because after my engineering business was shut down by low lifes thieving my tooling for scrap I decided to sit on my arse and do nothing. Perhaps I am a complete waste of time because I've just spent the last 12 months learning and programming a way to sell my beloved Northern Soul record collection that works identically to Ebay and enables other people to do the same at a fraction of the cost. I can assure you sir that I will be around for quite some time.

I find your attitude bizarre ... you want to big up a faceless corporation that 'are greedy and keep messing about with things' and dis the smaller person, you know the ones that share the same interest with you who are just trying to provide an alternative, without even stopping to think.

I've been on Ebay since 2 months after it started and I can tell you there are more soul records on Soulbid a week after it started than went through Ebay in a month in those days. It's only time that has made it.

'Ebay is king and always will be' as long as there are people like you in the world, lets hope that in years to come there will be only 'too many sellers selling shite on there'.

Perhaps you may give some of us tossers a go then.

Jogon

Dazz

Edited by Dazz
Social source share

Tiime of the month Craig :wicked:

Social source share

I've got to take exception to your comments there pal. Why would you think I am a tosser? Is it because after my engineering business was shut down by low lifes thieving my tooling for scrap I decided to sit on my arse and do nothing. Perhaps I am a complete waste of time because I've just spent the last 12 months learning and programming a way to sell my beloved Northern Soul record collection that works identically to Ebay and enables other people to do the same at a fraction of the cost. I can assure you sir that I will be around for quite some time.

I find your attitude bizarre ... you want to big up a faceless corporation that 'are greedy and keep messing about with things' and dis the smaller person, you know the ones that share the same interest with you who are just trying to provide an alternative, without even stopping to think.

I've been on Ebay since 2 months after it started and I can tell you there are more soul records on Soulbid a week after it started than went through Ebay in a month in those days. It's only time that has made it.

'Ebay is king and always will be' as long as there are people like you in the world, lets hope that in years to come there will be only 'too many sellers selling shite on there'.

Perhaps you may give some of us tossers a go then.

Jogon

Dazz

is this a reincarnation of the soulbid that was around before (couple of years back?) or was that called something different? Just rings a bell. Good luck with it.

Social source share

is this a reincarnation of the soulbid that was around before (couple of years back?) or was that called something different? Just rings a bell. Good luck with it.

Soulbid has been run by Daz previously then Mark Speakman and now again by Daz. Mark Speakman's site was completely different site to Daz on both occassions, as Mark's was hosted by an American company who charged the earth to run it. Daz's is a self built site and I think we should all do our bit to make it a success if all soul sources used it, I'm sure it would become a worthwhile site.

Social source share

Soulbid has been run by Daz previously then Mark Speakman and now again by Daz. Mark Speakman's site was completely different site to Daz on both occassions, as Mark's was hosted by an American company who charged the earth to run it. Daz's is a self built site and I think we should all do our bit to make it a success if all soul sources used it, I'm sure it would become a worthwhile site.

I agree - but surely the only way to get Soulbid to work is first to make people aware of it. Daz could easily ask all of the record dealers on Soul Source - and believe me, there are a lot of them - to advertise the site on their mail outs. Now I have between 1500 and 2000 people receiving every list of mine at any time - others will have more subscribers. In the space of a week, maybe 5 to 10,000 people could become aware of the site.

Social source share

Guest john s

I've just looked on Soulbid and as far as I can see there are about a hundred records on there in total.

Have I missed something here?

Social source share

I've just looked on Soulbid and as far as I can see there are about a hundred records on there in total.

Have I missed something here?

John when ebay started it had the same, all sites have to start somewhere, the more people use a site the bigger it gets. It was no different to ss when it started, I guess you didn't sign up day one, did you.

Social source share

John when ebay started it had the same, all sites have to start somewhere, the more people use a site the bigger it gets. It was no different to ss when it started, I guess you didn't sign up day one, did you.

One of the main things that attracted people to ebay was the possibility of bargains. The records on soulbid mostly have starting bids higher than people set sale records even on here. To the buyer, that's the worst of both worlds. If you are trying to sell records at those prices they should either a) be set sale or cool.gif actually be an auction at a lower price (without a reserve) that someone could have the opportunity to bid on. Why would someone want to bid in an auction that started higher than they would want to pay set sale? It may seem great for sellers with the lower fees, etc., but you need something to actually make buyers want to go there. I'm just trying to offer some constructive criticism from the point of view of a buyer, please don't take this as an attack. Without buyers, a site that is great for sellers doesn't help much. I also understand that most of the records are Dazz' personal collection and it is very difficult to let your personal collection that you spent a lot of money for go for a starting bid of $10 (versus a record that a seller got for cheap to resell), but I really can't see a lot of people signing up given the prices. Thanks.

Social source share

One of the main things that attracted people to ebay was the possibility of bargains. The records on soulbid mostly have starting bids higher than people set sale records even on here. To the buyer, that's the worst of both worlds. If you are trying to sell records at those prices they should either a) be set sale or cool.gif actually be an auction at a lower price (without a reserve) that someone could have the opportunity to bid on. Why would someone want to bid in an auction that started higher than they would want to pay set sale? It may seem great for sellers with the lower fees, etc., but you need something to actually make buyers want to go there. I'm just trying to offer some constructive criticism from the point of view of a buyer, please don't take this as an attack. Without buyers, a site that is great for sellers doesn't help much. I also understand that most of the records are Dazz' personal collection and it is very difficult to let your personal collection that you spent a lot of money for go for a starting bid of $10 (versus a record that a seller got for cheap to resell), but I really can't see a lot of people signing up given the prices. Thanks.

Good points well made

Social source share

Hello Bob

Thanks for your constructive criticism. I hear perfectly what you are saying but it really is a catch 22 situation at this stage , there needs to be both buyers and sellers for it to be a success. As you rightly say it is mainly just me selling records at the moment and I am therefore obviously a bit cautious however when there are a few more sellers and a few more buyers I will be happy to let market forces dictate the prices by starting them cheap with no reserve. I personally think time will be the decider, as Mark has already said even Ebay had to start somewhere, would you have put your best records on there on their first months of trading for a quid with no reserve .... I think not. Don't forget , hopefully there will be other sellers on Soulbid who are a lot braver and cheaper than me :lol::lol: I kind of knew after the first Soulbid that I was always going to make more money actually selling my records than running an auction site.

I appreciate your input and I can only assure you from a personal level that I will be offering many records from known to unknown, rare to common and expensive to cheap, hopefully so will some other sellers as Soulbid gets established.

John S .... you're right mate, I really need to work harder to get more on.

Kind regards

Dazz

Social source share

Guest john s

I totally agree, wasn't being harsh, just thought I might have missed something! And I'll certainly keep looking, same as everywhere else online and in the real world!

Social source share

Hello Bob

Thanks for your constructive criticism. I hear perfectly what you are saying but it really is a catch 22 situation at this stage , there needs to be both buyers and sellers for it to be a success. As you rightly say it is mainly just me selling records at the moment and I am therefore obviously a bit cautious however when there are a few more sellers and a few more buyers I will be happy to let market forces dictate the prices by starting them cheap with no reserve. I personally think time will be the decider, as Mark has already said even Ebay had to start somewhere, would you have put your best records on there on their first months of trading for a quid with no reserve .... I think not. Don't forget , hopefully there will be other sellers on Soulbid who are a lot braver and cheaper than me :lol::lol: I kind of knew after the first Soulbid that I was always going to make more money actually selling my records than running an auction site.

I appreciate your input and I can only assure you from a personal level that I will be offering many records from known to unknown, rare to common and expensive to cheap, hopefully so will some other sellers as Soulbid gets established.

John S .... you're right mate, I really need to work harder to get more on.

Kind regards

Dazz

just tried to put a few up on the site but all my pics are larger than 55 kb something that never happens on evil bay. any advice to a computer illiterate on how to reduce

thanks kev

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

just tried to put a few up on the site but all my pics are larger than 55 kb something that never happens on evil bay. any advice to a computer illiterate on how to reduce

thanks kev

Kev, You should be able to set your size on your scanner when you take your scan, if not there are loads of programs on line for free that you can download to adjust the size of your pics.

Social source share

Just had a look at soulbid, If you are selling records priced £24.99 and below, which is mostly what I do, it is actually more expensive than Ebay and certainly has less exposure, also the limitations of just a soul market, can't see myself moving quite yet

Social source share

Just had a look at soulbid, If you are selling records priced £24.99 and below, which is mostly what I do, it is actually more expensive than Ebay and certainly has less exposure, also the limitations of just a soul market, can't see myself moving quite yet

Thanks for your comments Innocenti, I think you'll find that Ebay is actually cheaper at anything below £4.50, Soulbid is cheaper for anything above £4.50.

'Limitations of just a soul market'? not sure what you mean by this. Soulbid isn't trying to compete with Ebay to sell everything under the sun, just Soul records, that's what it does.

Soulbid only started two weeks ago, Ebay has got nearly 10 years more exposure. I'm not asking you to move .... just give Soulbid a chance.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments Innocenti, I think you'll find that Ebay is actually cheaper at anything below £4.50, Soulbid is cheaper for anything above £4.50.

'Limitations of just a soul market'? not sure what you mean by this. Soulbid isn't trying to compete with Ebay to sell everything under the sun, just Soul records, that's what it does.

Soulbid only started two weeks ago, Ebay has got nearly 10 years more exposure. I'm not asking you to move .... just give Soulbid a chance.

after reading the thread i just thought i'd give soulbid a try!! so last week i bid & won a record!! top class service from soulbid! i will be back

max

Social source share

thanks a lot for the info

kev

i use paint , it is built into my windows, try going to START, ALL PROGRAMMES, ACCESSORIES and you should find it. hope this is helpful.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!