Freedom-can't You See(freedom)

NEV

Hi

Word on the grapevine seems to suggest this is a tough little bugger to find?

Just how hard is it,how much in demand and finally what sort of price would one be expected to pay for it ?

Thanx & appreciated as always

Nev :lol:

p.s sorry if its already been a topic ,if it has ,ive missed it :wicked:

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi

Just how hard is it,how much in demand and finally what sort of price would one be expected to pay for it ?

We were picking these up pretty easily a few years back - looking at some recent end prices seems like it's having a revival. Nice two sider, came out on yellow and blue if memory serves me. Price wise - always thought it was about £75 max - infact Moerer's got one at the mo for about that https://cgi.ebay.com/FREEDOM:-Can't-You...807291238r27430

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Guest Adrian

Yep lovely double sider. Yellow seems to be the more common

Easier to pick up than High on You (red label), just edges Can't You See for me

Were those the only two releases on Freedom?

Edited by Adrian
Social source share

Hi

i just bought one from chris on here think it was £80.00, dave thorley has a lot more on it though.

mark

Social source share

i just bought one from chris on here think it was £80.00, dave thorley has a lot more on it though.

mark

Hi Mark

Yes, I have it at £160. I have it at that price because it is a hard record to find and very good. Met the manager of the group last year, he told me that they only pressed about 500-700 copies of this and 'High on you'. He doesn't have any copies left, most of the copies of this and 'High on you' were distributed through a company in the south.

A few years back there were a fair few of 'can't you see' and maybe a handful of 'High on you' still sitting in the warehouse in the 'Deep South'. But these all got clean out about 4 years ago by guys from Japan and the U.S., so I would say that the only copies that will turn up now are those in collections and these people decide to sell.

These were the only two releases they had on their own label, after this they signed for Malaco. The lead singer is now dead, have met a couple of guys from the band, the engineer and the producer Vernon Steve Weakley, who also put out one nice crossover tune and a couple of good boogie tunes. As an aside Steve was a prominant civil rights activist in the 70's and hit the headlines when he was shot by the National Guard during a student protest at Jackson University.

Dave

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Hi Mark

Yes, I have it at £160. I have it at that price because it is a hard record to find and very good. Met the manager of the group last year, he told me that they only pressed about 500-700 copies of this and 'High on you'. He doesn't have any copies left, most of the copies of this and 'High on you' were distributed through a company in the south.

A few years back there were a fair few of 'can't you see' and maybe a handful of 'High on you' still sitting in the warehouse in the 'Deep South'. But these all got clean out about 4 years ago by guys from Japan and the U.S., so I would say that the only copies that will turn up now are those in collections and these people decide to sell.

These were the only two releases they had on their own label, after this they signed for Malaco. The lead singer is now dead, have met a couple of guys from the band, the engineer and the producer Vernon Steve Weakley, who also put out one nice crossover tune and a couple of good boogie tunes. As an aside Steve was a prominant civil rights activist in the 70's and hit the headlines when he was shot by the National Guard during a student protest at Jackson University.

Dave

Hi dave you missed out as i was listening to it on your site while thinking about it chris's list came out and i thought it would have been rude to not buy it :P

mark

Social source share

Guest Adrian

he told me that they only pressed about 500-700 copies of this and 'High on you'.

Is that total for both 45's Dave or each?

Was lucky enough to find 2 copies of High On You on a dealers internet list a couple of years back...

Social source share

Hi

p.s sorry if its already been a topic ,if it has ,ive missed it :lol:

Lotus Land records sell copies at 100 $

Cheers Nev!

Social source share

Guest lotusland

We sold through 100 x copies of 'Can't You See' (yellow label) @ $100 each. Took a couple of years. As soon as we ran out it seemed to settle at about $200. The blue label variation is rarer (I've only seen 2x copies) but it isn't any different. Rarest variation is the white label promo with "can't you see" on both sides, my copy is the only I've ever seen. "High on You" is infinitely rarer than CYS mostly because the producer didn't have any. The copies weren't in that warehouse, I'll tell you that much. At least not in any quantity.

Also, these were the only 2 releases (well, 4 if you count all color/label variations) on the Freedom imprint. After this the group went on to TK and Malaco, finding a decent amount of success.

Social source share

We sold through 100 x copies of 'Can't You See' (yellow label) @ $100 each. Took a couple of years. As soon as we ran out it seemed to settle at about $200. The blue label variation is rarer (I've only seen 2x copies) but it isn't any different. Rarest variation is the white label promo with "can't you see" on both sides, my copy is the only I've ever seen. "High on You" is infinitely rarer than CYS mostly because the producer didn't have any. The copies weren't in that warehouse, I'll tell you that much. At least not in any quantity.

Also, these were the only 2 releases (well, 4 if you count all color/label variations) on the Freedom imprint. After this the group went on to TK and Malaco, finding a decent amount of success.

Hi

If you got 100 out of the producer, plus what was in the warehouse I would say thats pretty well all the quantity gone. The warehouse had blue & yellow label copies.

Someone asked why two colours, when records were pressed on a budget they would ask the pressing plant to do it at as low a cost as possible and they would source labels. So the printers would print on what ever paper they had availble, this could mean one, two or even three different colours in the same pressing run. Never seen a white demo, wonder if there is a demo for 'High on you', only ever seen HOY on a red label pressing. I found 5 copies of it in the warehouse, one of which went to Butch and is the copy he plays now.

Dave

Social source share

Thought High On You was much harder than BCYS, more in the region of £400 odd for a tidy HOY?? Or am I way over the mark?

The last one on ebay (a few months ago) went for around $1300 if my memory serves me right.

/H (proud owner of both releases. :lol: )

Social source share

Hi

If you got 100 out of the producer, plus what was in the warehouse I would say thats pretty well all the quantity gone. The warehouse had blue & yellow label copies.

Someone asked why two colours, when records were pressed on a budget they would ask the pressing plant to do it at as low a cost as possible and they would source labels. So the printers would print on what ever paper they had availble, this could mean one, two or even three different colours in the same pressing run. Never seen a white demo, wonder if there is a demo for 'High on you', only ever seen HOY on a red label pressing. I found 5 copies of it in the warehouse, one of which went to Butch and is the copy he plays now.

Dave

Add to that the fact that I had a 100 box of the yellow 'Can't you see' - must have been about 10 or 15 years ago now - I think that at the time I did seem to flood the market here with them - but I was selling it at £30, I think. I do recalla lot of mine went to Japan. They came from the label owner via a well-known Southern onestop friend.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!