Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

There's no point in answering people's comments on the thread about "Souled Out", as they risk being deleted, and I have no wish to type out comments that will be removed.

Mike asked those going off-topic to start a new thread, and so I have.

I will try to be at least more civil than I am on A.N.S., but I refuse to be castrated.

I will not post on the "Souled Out" thread unless it is to specifically comment on items relevant to the film, and my abject horror at the Soul Police dissing it before it's even been made.

I have opened this thread specifically to answer comments and fight back. I realise that if someone puts a nasty comment on one of my videos on YouTube I can be as rude as I like back to them and delete their comments, and block them from having any further access to my videos at all.

I have no such luxury here.

As I said, I shall try to be civil, certainly to most, but find it very hard to be civil to those few for whom I have ZERO respect.

Let the curtain go up.....

Social source share

There's no point in answering people's comments on the thread about "Souled Out", as they risk being deleted, and I have no wish to type out comments that will be removed.

I will try to be at least more civil than I am on A.N.S., but I refuse to be castrated.

I will not post on the "Souled Out" thread unless it is to specifically comment on items relevant to the film, and my abject horror at the Soul Police dissing it before it's even been made.

I have opened this thread specifically to answer comments and fight back. I realise that if someone puts a nasty comment on one of my videos on YouTube I can be as rude as I like back to them and delete their comments, and block them from having any further access to my videos at all.

As I said, I shall try to be civil, certainly to most, but find it very hard to be civil to those few for whom I have ZERO respect.

blimey :ohmy: f*** tonights local soul doo I'm staying in and refreshing every 5 mins.

Social source share

f*** tonights local soul doo I'm staying in and refreshing every 5 mins.

Give this a try...

She's from Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Amazing singer.....

">
Social source share

right here goes.Ian,i found your attack on certain members on here despicable,in particular one who is a complicated and sensitive soul,but you probably knew that at the time of posting.

btw ,thanks for conning people into thinking disco was Northern at the latter stages of the Mecca,( the masterplan had already started),some actually believed in you and respected your opinions.

KEV,,(from the shallow end of the soul gene pool.)

Social source share

right here goes.Ian,i found your attack on certain members on here despicable,in particular one who is a complicated and sensitive soul,but you probably knew that at the time of posting.

btw ,thanks for conning people into thinking disco was Northern at the latter stages of the Mecca,( the masterplan had already started),some actually believed in you and respected your opinions.

KEV,,(from the shallow end of the soul gene pool.)

Shallow end of the gene pool.

You said it, Pal.

Besides, some Disco WAS Northern.

Go back now and listen to stuff like Janice McClain "Right Back In The Middle", or Brainstorm "Wake Up And Be Somebody".

Social source share

You won;t remember me Ian but I brought you down to Peterborough Wirrina in 1975 when you had all them orange advance copies on Tomorrows World??? the night Evelyn Thomas came down, she didn't sing just watched Danny Daniels dance...

Like to ask you a question, I;m of an age where I appreciate what the Mecca did for the Northern Soul scene way before its change in direction in 1974...In fact I was around when those nasty folk stole your Earl Grant.

Now then were you ever piffed off when Tony Jebb was given the Torch Job when most thought it should have been you in 72? I know you did it a few times but is there a story of contempt between you and Chris Burton

Edited by PaulDonnelly
Social source share

This is probably the best tailor made Northern soul record ever - you had to hear it at Wigan, it was phenomenal, can still hear the sound of all those feet shuffling away to it

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Yes deffo the best. Can't deny that. I also liked "Reaching for the best" - you may be surprised to hear.

Well no not me personally Steve because practically everyone liked that when it came out...reminds me of our youth club and you having to more or less push people out the way to get a space on the dancefloor when it came on (though that had something to do with lines of girls dancing in formation :lol: )

Social source share

Guest sausalito

Ah! The Exciters I think I remember seeing them at the Jesters (with quite a few other NS artists) in Mexborough in the 70's (could be wrong memory an all)

Social source share

Shallow end of the gene pool.

You said it, Pal.

Besides, some Disco WAS Northern.

Go back now and listen to stuff like Janice McClain "Right Back In The Middle", or Brainstorm "Wake Up And Be Somebody".

nice to see my contributions to the Highland room funds didn't got totally to waste. :lol:

You forgot to put IMHO , after "some disco was Northern" quote.

Social source share

What ? Before you played the videos, or after

Ah - I was wondering when I'd bump into you.

The man who called me "a disgrace and an embarrassment to the Soul Scene".

I have carried that one with me, Rimmer, for years now.

Social source share

This is probably the best tailor made Northern soul record ever - you had to hear it at Wigan, it was phenomenal, can still hear the sound of all those feet shuffling away to it

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

I think you really DO wanna have sex. You can't stay away from me.

Sorry Ian, but I am 100% Hetero.

I find your jibes about me wanting to fornicate with you quite distressing - I'm sure I have higher standards than that - I was saying so only the other day whilst I was porking the local farmers Sow.

Social source share

We just completely redid and re-edited this video last week, Pete, for the new set.

It was huge at Wigan, till Russ banned Richard from playing it any more in late 1976. That started the feud. That one action singlehandedly started a feud that ended up splitting the whole scene.

Social source share

The funny thing is that it wasn't "tailor made" for anything.

In 1977 it topped Billboard's disco charts for seven weeks.

To American lovers of that era, it's one of the great iconic records, and was a huge American hit because of it.

Social source share

The funny thing is that it wasn't "tailor made" for anything.

In 1977 it topped Billboard's disco charts for seven weeks.

To American lovers of that era, it's one of the great iconic records, and was a huge American hit because of it.

Sorry. Not Northern tailor made, Best contemporary release by a British producer.

386410a~Businessman-Sitting-in-Corner-with-Dunce-Hat-Posters.jpg

Social source share

Sorry Ian, but I am 100% Hetero.

I find your jibes about me wanting to fornicate with you quite distressing - I'm sure I have higher standards than that - I was saying so only the other day whilst I was porking the local farmers Sow.

Hope you had a bath first :lol:

Social source share

Now then were you ever piffed off when Tony Jebb was given the Torch Job when most thought it should have been you in 72? I know you did it a few times but is there a story of contempt between you and Chris Burton

No because as soon as Tony was established there, he brought me down to DJ there too. My first night was the legendary "Major Lance live at The Torch" night, in November 1972. By the time the club closed in April 1973, Jebby, Colin and Minshull had all gone, and I was the head DJ.

Social source share

For sale Earl Wright - Thumb A Ride - Capitol - only one previous owner

It got stolen twice.

First time off the decks at Blackburn Mecca.

Second time by Simon Soussan, along with The Sweet Things and Roy Hamilton.

The police raided his flat in Headingley Lane, Leeds, in the end, and retrieved them, mere days before he left the country

Social source share

Unlike you Ive have long term memory loss...now then the Jebb/Torch/Burton question, seriously was there issues as to why you didn't join, Day, Curtis Minsh and Martin, without you had the tunes at the time?????

But I did.

I DJ'd there every week from November 1972 to April 1973.

Once Jebb got fired for his big drugs scandal, and Colin and Keith left, I had to being Andy Hanley in too, as we didn't have enough DJs then.

Social source share

question1:

my memory's not what it was,but which records cleared the floor at Wigan when you were on(75/76?)?

Mel Britt,Voices of east Harlem,Ronnie McNeir?.

All superb records,but how did you feel?.

question2: did you play football on the beach in the morning after the Mecca?

Social source share

I'd have to disagree. James Wells-Baby I'm still the same man, takes it by a short head. I love the 12" version.

Hello Dave.

Long time...

There was never any video footage of the late lamented James Wells, but this might make up for it as regards the song...

"> Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

You won;t remember me Ian but I brought you down to Peterborough Wirrina in 1975 when you had all them orange advance copies on Tomorrows World??? the night Evelyn Thomas came down, she didn't sing just watched Danny Daniels dance...

Like to ask you a question, I;m of an age where I appreciate what the Mecca did for the Northern Soul scene way before its change in direction in 1974...In fact I was around when those nasty folk stole your Earl Grant.

Too true mate :lol: It all appeared seamless Torch/Mecca-----Outstanding time for the scene---music was incredible hardly ever a duff sound --and talking of age ,I am of an age where I can remember Colin Diamond before Curtis :lol: . Wouldn't swap that time for 'owt

Social source share

question1:

my memory's not what it was,but which records cleared the floor at Wigan when you were on(75/76?)?

Mel Britt,Voices of east Harlem,Ronnie McNeir?.

All superb records,but how did you feel?.

I DJ'd at the third ever Wigan allnighter in 1973. You're three years out.

Social source share