Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I'm glad you said Lovely Rose Battiste .

The lovely Rose indeed. Very poignant when she wells up in TSWON, she seems a sweet lady.

I heard from a Detroit nut that Hit & Run wasn't actually her, that the Debonairs had been

slated in & Miss B's name ended up on the record. Anybody else heard that one before?

Social source share

The lovely Rose indeed. Very poignant when she wells up in TSWON, she seems a sweet lady.

I heard from a Detroit nut that Hit & Run wasn't actually her, that the Debonairs had been

slated in & Miss B's name ended up on the record. Anybody else heard that one before?

That's a nonsense perpetrated by the fact there were so many other versions in the can. Barbara Mercer, The Debonaires, Pat Lewis, Martha Reeves, Terri Bryant. They all cut it too. But the version on Revilot is Rose Battiste. Listen to the vocal on our re-recorded version. You can hear it's the same person.

Social source share

Ian, will I be able to play this over in Los Angeles CA? on my PC or is it only for a DVD TV?

Cheers LA Rob

I think you can.

It is PAL system but it should play on PCs as it's not coded, in other words region zero.

Maybe you should ask someone first.

If there's any technically minded experts on here, could you answer this please ?? We would all be grateful.

Social source share

You're right, it's evidently the same person.

I presume the same backing track was used for all the artists you mentioned.

Pat Lewis's version is in the refo section, but I can't get it to play right now.

I can imagine Martha doing it justice though...

M

When Kev Roberts and Tim Brown did a deal with Don Davis to acquire all the Groovesville tapes, they played all of them and found at least five different versions of "Hit And Run", all using the same backing tracks, and the confusion arose over the fact that there was also a version by The Debonaires.

Rose Battiste still sounds almost the same as she did forty years ago, and if you watch our videos, you'll see her actually on the mike putting down her vocals, so I can personally attest it is the same singer, in my professional capacity as a record producer.

Social source share

On Monday 3rd November, we're going to be doing a launch party in London for the Northern Soul DVD Set.

Most likely at the Ion Bar in Ladbroke Grove.

Hope to have The Flirtations, Jimmy Thomas, and Jimmy James appearing, plus a couple of surprises.

It will be a free party but by invitation only.

Anyone who wants to come, contact me nearer the time and I will make sure you're on the guest list.

Our last three launch parties were just wonderful. Ask Ian Dewhirst or Mike Ritson.

Social source share

On Monday 3rd November, we're going to be doing a launch party in London for the Northern Soul DVD Set.

Most likely at the Ion Bar in Ladbroke Grove.

Hope to have The Flirtations, Jimmy Thomas, and Jimmy James appearing, plus a couple of surprises.

It will be a free party but by invitation only.

Anyone who wants to come, contact me nearer the time and I will make sure you're on the guest list.

Our last three launch parties were just wonderful. Ask Ian Dewhirst or Mike Ritson.

I'd love to come!

P smile.gif

Social source share

I think you can.

It is PAL system but it should play on PCs as it's not coded, in other words region zero.

Maybe you should ask someone first.

If there's any technically minded experts on here, could you answer this please ?? We would all be grateful.

I think you'll find that any DVD these days will play on any computer.

But it's region zero anyway.

No problem with DVD players either as far as the sound is concerned, but it may screen differently on some American TV screens - especially older models which may not cope with the the PAL signal.

I hope this helps.

Social source share

No problem with DVD players either as far as the sound is concerned, but it may screen differently on some American TV screens - especially older models which may not cope with the the PAL signal.

I hope this helps.

Thankyou Paul.

Because this time, I REALLY want people to be able to see it in the US, including the artists themselves.

Social source share

I hope this helps.

Thanks, at least I will be able to play it on my PC, I do have a new TV and DVD player, as we are switching over to HD next Feb and so I got myself a nice large wide screen sony HD TV, so it would be great to watch it on that..

I do have another techie question for those in the know.. not having an ipod yet but if I get one, can you down load tunes from some of those youtube video's etc? as it would make a nice change from all the soul CD's I have. Cheers LA Rob

Social source share

Thanks, at least I will be able to play it on my PC, I do have a new TV and DVD player, as we are switching over to HD next Feb and so I got myself a nice large wide screen sony HD TV, so it would be great to watch it on that..

I do have another techie question for those in the know.. not having an ipod yet but if I get one, can you down load tunes from some of those youtube video's etc? as it would make a nice change from all the soul CD's I have. Cheers LA Rob

Officially, no.

Unofficially, yes there are various ways of getting the sound and / or the video from youtube clips, regardless of what format they were originally ulpoaded in. Then you can convert the audio from FLV (or whatever) to MP3 (or whatever you want) and play the audio on your ipod.

In many cases the sound won't be great because of the youtube overcompression. It effects some files more than others. Some of the low sections are forced up too high. The actual DVD or CD audio will be much superior.

Best regards,

Paul

Social source share

I have made all my stuff on YouTube so it can't be downloaded.

If someone was a hacker then I'm sure they could do it, but the general public can only watch it not download it. That's why I put the whole songs on there - because if I ever shut down the youTube site, no-one can keep them.

Plus they really are just LOUSY quality compared to the DVD we're releasing, as you will all see when your pre-ordered DVDs arrive on the 27th October.

Social source share

The actual DVD or CD audio will be much superior.

Best regards,

Paul

One million times superior.

YouTube is worse than VHS, plus it pixillates too.

The DVDs are digitally mastered for optimum clarity.

Social source share

I have made all my stuff on YouTube so it can't be downloaded.

If someone was a hacker then I'm sure they could do it, but the general public can only watch it not download it. That's why I put the whole songs on there - because if I ever shut down the youTube site, no-one can keep them.

Plus they really are just LOUSY quality compared to the DVD we're releasing, as you will all see when your pre-ordered DVDs arrive on the 27th October.

Thanks for that, it isn't like I want to download stuff for free, as I try to buy as many soul CD's and records etc as I can, it's just being over here in LA and not beoing part of the soul scene back home anylonger it would have been nice to get some stuff I can't get over here to just listen to.. Thanks LA Rob

ps I will purchase your DVD just as I have most of your CD's..

Social source share

Thanks for that, it isn't like I want to download stuff for free, as I try to buy as many soul CD's and records etc as I can, it's just being over here in LA and not beoing part of the soul scene back home anylonger it would have been nice to get some stuff I can't get over here to just listen to.. Thanks LA Rob

ps I will purchase your DVD just as I have most of your CD's..

Good man.

Did you buy "Northern Soul 2008" ??

In fact if you bought any of my last four albums, all on Centre City, all of them had DVDs coupled with the CDs. If you could play any of those, then the new set will be exactly the same.

Social source share

Good man.

Did you buy "Northern Soul 2008" ??

In fact if you bought any of my last four albums, all on Centre City, all of them had DVDs coupled with the CDs. If you could play any of those, then the new set will be exactly the same.

Yes I did buy it, got it last week, brilliant as is most of the stuff, lucky for me they have most of them on the US Amazon site so I can get them on there in dollars, what they don't carry I have to get from the UK. Silly me though I only tried the DVD in my lap top and they worked as I didn't think to try them on the TV, will have to give that a go. Cheers LA Rob

Do you get over to LA very much Ian? as I am sure you would really do wonderful here producing etc.

Social source share

Yes I did buy it, got it last week,

I only tried the DVD in my lap top and they worked as I didn't think to try them on the TV, will have to give that a go. Cheers LA Rob

If you were able to play the DVD part of "Northern Soul 2008", not just the CD, then that proves you will be able to play all of "Northern Soul's 200 Greatest Floorfillers", because they were mastered by the same engineer.

Which suggests anyone else in America will be able to play it too.

Social source share

Moonshine now confirmed as Paul Curtis by Paul Mooney.

Who sang lead on the Philadelphia Flyers "Run And Hide", a 1974 UK recording that we used to play at The Mecca ??

Came out in the UK on GTO, and came out in the USA on Casablanca, the old purple one, looked the same as Gwen Owens.

Social source share

You know, dancing is a part of life.

It's one of the thrills of young America.

And young America has been responsible for starting most of the world's dance crazes.

">
Social source share

This snippet has just brought home something for me.....it's like watching 'old soldiers'. And I mean this in THE MOST respectful way. When I see these clips I tend to picture the artists in their prime, creating the most vibrant music of a generation. When I meet old soldiers it's the same for me. I listen to their stories and imagine them doing what they did as 20 year olds and not the 80 year olds many of them now are. As far as the artists are concerned, sure, many of them are now old timers, but to actually see them in the newly revamped digitized performances will be a great thing for me personally.

Imagine the creation of 'That Beatin' Rhythm'. Len Jewel bringing the song into the office, getting Jimmy Conwell to run through it on the piano while Fred Smith and James Carmichael sit next door 'ears pricked up'. Everyone thinks 'A sure fire hit, surely?' so the 103rd Watts St Band lay down 'Cigarette Ashes', Mr Conwell adds the vocal track and BOOM! there you have it. A commercial flop that dragged UK soulfans to their feet for 30/40 years of appreciative dancin'!! Fantastic stuff and to see him 'do' it in the flesh is wonder all on it's own. Keep 'em coming Ian please.

Gladly.

But please remember no-one had ever discovered who Richard Temple was, until I tracked him down in late 1998.

So no-one ever filmed him when he was a young soldier.

I think it's much more important to have filmed the old soldiers than to let them pass away as nothing more than a forgotten memory.

Please tell me you'll be getting the box set.

Social source share

Just chatting with Junior Giscombe, and he was telling me how much he still loves the song that we wrote together for J.J. Barnes, called "On Top Of The World".

Listening to it again, I honestly don't think J.J. EVER sang better. He was just on top form and in top voice when he vocalled this wonderful joyous song.

Listening to it again now, I just got that old sensation of the hairs prickling on the back of my neck.

">
Social source share

Gladly.

But please remember no-one had ever discovered who Richard Temple was, until I tracked him down in late 1998.

So no-one ever filmed him when he was a young soldier.

I think it's much more important to have filmed the old soldiers than to let them pass away as nothing more than a forgotten memory.

Absolutely.

Please tell me you'll be getting the box set.

Absolutely. Roll on 27 Oct.

Social source share

Just chatting with Junior Giscombe, and he was telling me how much he still loves the song that we wrote together for J.J. Barnes, called "On Top Of The World".

Listening to it again, I honestly don't think J.J. EVER sang better. He was just on top form and in top voice when he vocalled this wonderful joyous song.

Listening to it again now, I just got that old sensation of the hairs prickling on the back of my neck.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Your wish is my command.

Here's another old soldier.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

its fabulous and will be up there as one of JJ's best . its also proves that time moves on ,

I think it proves that time DOESN'T move on. He sounds the same on this as he did the day I first heard "Please Let Me In".

Social source share

If there ever was a record to send the hairs up on the back of your neck , it is this one .......

As fresh and emotive , as the day I first heard it .......

" You're my ideal , my ambition , my reason for living each day , you're the Alpha and Omega , there's nothing left to say ........"

A TIMELESS CLASSIC .

Malc Burton

It's worth posting them up on here just to bring this kind of pleasure to people.

But I just hope no-one thinks "I've seen a fuzzy copy on Soul Source so I don't need to buy the lovely crisp clear DVD now, to keep for posterity".

I hope no-one thinks that.

Social source share

I think it proves that time DOESN'T move on. He sounds the same on this as he did the day I first heard "Please Let Me In".

Ian - another question for you .......

What record on first hearing - besides The Carstairs - when you were trawling through records back in the days of , and for The Mecca , absolutely stopped you in your tracks , refusing to believe how good it was ? .......

Malc Burton

Social source share

Kinel malk! Every one knows that at the bottom of their feet and at the end of their antennas they have chemoreceptors that allow them to smell. tongue.gif

I did , but did not want to appear a clever dickie .......

You did it for me :P ........

Malc Burton

Social source share

What record on first hearing - besides The Carstairs - when you were trawling through records back in the days of , and for The Mecca , absolutely stopped you in your tracks , refusing to believe how good it was ? .......

Malc Burton

The Charades "Key To My Happiness".

Lada Edmund Jr. - "The Larue".

Vessie Simmons - "Make It On My Own"

Social source share

Malc Burton

Not to mention at least half the videos included in this...

">
Social source share