Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I know that place used to live quite near it when I were a kid. Always was in awe of those big "EMI" letters on the side of the building, glad they've been able to do something with the stuff :thumbsup:

Hello Chris,

I think it's great to see some of the history preserved.

There's been a history of music on that site since 1912.

Paul

Social source share

I think you're the least arrogant person I have ever met.

Thanks Ian,

One thing I'm not is arrogant. I'm too poor to be arrogant! I try to be fair and humorous and I don't look down on anyone.

Come to think of it, I'm really quite a guy!

I'm starting to like myself.

:thumbsup:

Social source share

Thanks Ian,

One thing I'm not is arrogant. I'm too poor to be arrogant! I try to be fair and humorous and I don't look down on anyone.

Come to think of it, I'm really quite a guy!

I'm starting to like myself.

Like I said in an earlier posting, I dont know you, so I reacted to your posting as I read it. Which was :

"Sorry Pete, I honestly didn't realise you were living in a box.

It just goes to show how bad this economic crisis really is.

And I hope it's a nice warm box because winter is approaching"

From what I can see I would guess the fella is well aware of the economic crisis, with a young family & all the hardships that go with it. Read somewhere else about his car dropping dead on him? Also said something about his partner's expecting? (appologies if I'm wrong).

OK, so I read your joke wrong, so what.

Social source share

The problem is that quality costs more money.

I bet they can't match Smiffy's quote.

I used to cut corners on the pressing cost, purely out of necessity, and ended up with Herman Griffin and Sandi Sheldon sevens that were totally substandard.

No cutting corners. I attended the cut which was perfect and the guy couldn't have been more complimentary about the quality of the master. I think the problem is with the galvanics. Phil did a test when he got home and the digital analysis showed severe drop-outs on both sides, which is what I heard when testing this morning.

So no doubt about my ears thank God!

Will post an update tomorrow.

Ian D :thumbsup:

Social source share

Me not thinking outside the box Ian.

Smacked wrists for me.

GOOD LUCK WITH IT.

A Box!!! bl@@dy luxury

when i was a youngster we had 26 of us living in a brown paper bag :thumbsup:

Social source share

No, the DVD is more important than anything.

200 performances by almost all the classic Northern Soul legends. How could you not make it your ultimate priority ???

Just watch this again...

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Hi Ian,

This is a hand on heart reply, no part of it is a dig of any kind, just want that clear before I say the following.

Firstly, I think you deserve a medal mate. The work you must have put in to make this thing must have been phenomenal, most likely bordering on the point where it became an obsession to see it completed. Also I can see you were working against a ticking human clock, as some of the people you wanted to film were sadly passing away before you could get them on film.

I can only imagine how some of the performers must have fealt to see themselves on film. So, ten out of ten, brilliant job.

My problem with it is this.

When I listen to Soul music, & early group music, I hear a young voice full of youthful passion. A voice that has a magical spark in it, most times pouring their heart out about the first love that they are encountering. Or the loss of a loved one. It was mostly music from young people. Sure, there's exceptions, but mostly young singers.

In the songs that are about torn relationships I hear the fire & anger that only comes from a young person.

When I click on your film clips Ian, I see old people. It damages the image that I've managed to create in my head, the image of the young singer pouring his or her heart out into a recording mike 40+ years ago.

I can see these singers that you have filmed are lovely people, but I'm sure if any of them were to read this they would agree. It was 3 minutes of time that was captured from a time long gone.

Sorry Ian, I can't watch your film, it'll do too much damage :thumbsup:

Regards,

pottsy.

although i agree with most of this i think it is great that these people have found out about their following in the UK (and other places) and think that the dvd's are a huge testiment to their talents. I will be buying this as are many others.

Social source share

When I click on your film clips Ian, I see old people. It damages the image that I've managed to create in my head, the image of the young singer pouring his or her heart out into a recording mike 40+ years ago.

Sorry Ian, I can't watch your film, it'll do too much damage

Yes Ady, you'd rather charge someone nine hundred quid for some really average rare Detroit record on the Brut label, and never have to wonder what the artists look like.

Sorry but I couldn't possibly disagree more with you. These artists were people and deserved a chance to be seen.

Social source share

although i agree with most of this i think it is great that these people have found out about their following in the UK (and other places) and think that the dvd's are a huge testiment to their talents. I will be buying this as are many others.

I do too gogs.

I honestly hope Ian sells a mountain of them after all the work he's put in, infact I may buy one to give it to someone for Christmas.

But like I've said, for my own personal reasons I wont watch it.

Social source share

When I listen to Soul music, & early group music, I hear a young voice full of youthful passion. A voice that has a magical spark in it, most times pouring their heart out about the first love that they are encountering. Or the loss of a loved one. It was mostly music from young people. Sure, there's exceptions, but mostly young singers.

In the songs that are about torn relationships I hear the fire & anger that only comes from a young person.

And of course when I do stuff like this, a fabulous singer from Milwaukee in her twenties, people like you dismiss it as tailor made and not real, so I can't fucking win either way.

">
Social source share

Thankyou Gogs. Some common sense still prevails in a world gone mad.

Social source share

I do too gogs.

I honestly hope Ian sells a mountain of them after all the work he's put in, infact I may buy one to give it to someone for Christmas.

But like I've said, for my own personal reasons I wont watch it.

as do i.

but couldn't you just listen to all these great tracks with your eyes shut and use your imagination. I think you will be missing out.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

You know something, the more I read this line, the angrier I get.

If people are over thirty, does it mean they should retire from singing ??

WHAT A CROCK !!!!!!!

I am still working with The Flirtations who have been recording for forty five years, Jimmy James, who has been recording for forty eight years, and Jimmy Thomas, who has been recording also for forty eight years.

And they all still perform and look and sound great.

LOOK AT THE FLIRTATIONS - THIS IS ONLY FILMED LAST MAY - AND DARE TO TELL ME THEY'RE TOO OLD, DAMMIT.

">
Social source share

WHAT A CROCK !!!!!!!

I am still working with The Flirtations who have been recording for forty five years, Jimmy James, who has been recording for forty eight years, and Jimmy Thomas, who has been recording also for forty eight years.

LOOK AT THE FLIRTATIONS - THIS IS ONLY FILMED LAST MAY - AND DARE TO TELL ME THEY'RE TOO OLD, DAMMIT.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

although i don't know you, and was always brought up to respect my elders can i call you Ian.

Elders ????????????????

Elders ????????????????

Elders ????????????????

Social source share

Elders ????????????????

Elders ????????????????

Elders ????????????????

it means that i am younger than you ( but maybe only just) and maybe it should have read "people that i respect". sorry if i have upset you.

Social source share

it means that i am younger than you ( but maybe only just) and maybe it should have read "people that i respect". sorry if i have upset you.
Gogs,

Just tell him he could still pass for 49 in a dimly-lit room and he'll be your best friend ...probably.

Social source share

Gogs,

Just tell him he could still pass for 49 in a dimly-lit room and he'll be your best friend ...probably.

:P

he would still be older than me :thumbsup:

Social source share

You must be as young as I look, then?

From a distance.

:P

maybe only as young as you feel :D but that's the best way :thumbsup: .that means i'm only 21.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

I could pass for 39.

sorry my young friend does that mean i can call you Ian? and on a more topical note , did you ever come up to Edinburgh's "clouds" all-niters or is my memory playing tricks on me again?.

Edited by Gogs
Social source share

Just located these 12" in the loft - anyone interested - all in Mint unplayed condition...

Barbara Pennington - Running In another Direction - United Artists Die Cut Disco Special Sleeve

Bettye Lavette - Surrender - Motorcity MOTC 39 P/S

G. C. Cameron - Good Times Up Ahead - Motorcity MOTC 46 P/S

Johnny Bristol - Keep This Thought In Mind - Motorcity MOTC 47 P/S

Marv Johnson - Come To Me (Deep House Mix - what were they thinking?) - Motorcity MOTC 50 P/S

Susaye Greene - Stop I Need You Now - Motorcity MOTC 66 P/S

Billy Griffin - Technicolour - Motorcity White Label MOTC 72 plain die cut sleeve

Interesting trades accepted.

Best offer so far:

Zip, Zilch, Nix, Nada, Nowt, Nothing, Feck All.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

I can see these singers that you have filmed are lovely people, but I'm sure if any of them were to read this they would agree. It was 3 minutes of time that was captured from a time long gone.

Sorry Ian, I can't watch your film, it'll do too much damage :P

Regards,

pottsy.

Oh dear, Oh dear..

Its a good job your not a polititian. You just wrote off the what you call 'Old People'.

Just watching Willie Hutch sing his heart out nearly brings tears to my eyes.

If they all thought that, they would not take part. They must be so delighted to be re-discovered, brought back into the limelight. They are icons, and there is room in our minds for both visions.

The whole music industry revolves around come backs, shows etc.. Its their trade.

I am lost for words..

P :thumbsup:

Edited by paup-ine
Social source share

Like I said in an earlier posting, I dont know you, so I reacted to your posting as I read it. Which was :

"Sorry Pete, I honestly didn't realise you were living in a box.

It just goes to show how bad this economic crisis really is.

And I hope it's a nice warm box because winter is approaching"

From what I can see I would guess the fella is well aware of the economic crisis, with a young family & all the hardships that go with it. Read somewhere else about his car dropping dead on him? Also said something about his partner's expecting? (appologies if I'm wrong).

OK, so I read your joke wrong, so what.

Ady, I appreciate you looking out for me and am quite touched by it (yes, dead car, baby on way etc is true) but I did take Paul's comment as the joke it was meant to be, don't you two fall out over it please!

Social source share

WHAT A CROCK !!!!!!!

">

Social source share

And of course when I do stuff like this, a fabulous singer from Milwaukee in her twenties, people like you dismiss it as tailor made and not real, so I can't fucking win either way.

">

Social source share

Ady, I appreciate you looking out for me and am quite touched by it (yes, dead car, baby on way etc is true) but I did take Paul's comment as the joke it was meant to be, don't you two fall out over it please!

I've not fell out with him at all Pete, infact I quite like him :huh: I find some of his posts very interesting & informative.

Same goes for Ian Levine, I've always found him to be very interesting when we've had conversations. I think it's great when you see someone do something with a passion. I'll give Ian that, when ever he does something, be it collect records, comics, Dr Who related items, make records, he puts 100% in to it. But, we'll always argue, because unless I agree with him on everything, all the time, 100%, he gets in a tizzy & has a tantrum :lol:

I like to see people that have 'character', you know, that something that makes them interesting. Doesn't matter if you agree with them or not, but you listen to them because they have character, if you get my drift.

Social source share

I've not fell out with him at all Pete, infact I quite like him yes.gif I find some of his posts very interesting & informative.

Same goes for Ian Levine, I've always found him to be very interesting when we've had conversations. I think it's great when you see someone do something with a passion. I'll give Ian that, when ever he does something, be it collect records, comics, Dr Who related items, make records, he puts 100% in to it. But, we'll always argue, because unless I agree with him on everything, all the time, 100%, he gets in a tizzy & has a tantrum :lol:

I like to see people that have 'character', you know, that something that makes them interesting. Doesn't matter if you agree with them or not, but you listen to them because they have character, if you get my drift.

Yes I know what you mean and thats the reason I'm not going to post on or read this topic anymore because the level of sycophancy has reached new heights lately. Ian's great but there's no room for debate on this topic so I'm going to go pick a fight with someone in All About The Soul :huh:

Social source share

">

Edited by Malc Burton
Social source share

sorry my young friend does that mean i can call you Ian? and on a more topical note , did you ever come up to Edinburgh's "clouds" all-niters or is my memory playing tricks on me again?.

Yes you can call me Ian, and yes I did DJ at Clouds in Edinburgh, for Yogi Haughton.

Social source share

Oh dear, Oh dear..

Its a good job your not a polititian. You just wrote off the what you call 'Old People'.

Just watching Willie Hutch sing his heart out nearly brings tears to my eyes.

If they all thought that, they would not take part. They must be so delighted to be re-discovered, brought back into the limelight. They are icons, and there is room in our minds for both visions.

The whole music industry revolves around come backs, shows etc.. Its their trade.

I am lost for words..

Yes Pauline - me too - and Willie Hutch died a year after filming "Love Runs Out" and I'm SOOOO bloody glad we filmed it.

Social source share

if i look as good as that at there age i will be well chuffed . ian is hes a saint hes a sinner avaiable they sound really good on this very gospel sounding in places and they still have great voices superb

They look fabulous especially when you remember they have been singing together for a staggering forty five years.

Amazing.

"He's A Saint He's A Sinner" is only available on the "Yesterday And Tomorrow" album, which was never properly distributed and there is only one place you can get it from...

https://ianlevine.jetshop.se/

I suggest you do get it, as the guy who runs that site, from Sweden, is gonna close it down, and then it won't be available anywhere, as it's not on Amazon at all.

It will be the rarest of all my recent albums. Pauline, you should grab one too - you'll be glad you did - Noel McKoy's version of "My Claim To Fame" is amazing, and he sounds like Bobby Womack on it.

Social source share

Yes I know what you mean and thats the reason I'm not going to post on or read this topic anymore because the level of sycophancy has reached new heights lately. Ian's great but there's no room for debate on this topic so I'm going to go pick a fight with someone in All About The Soul

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

O

Smiffy, DON'T GO.

Social source share

hi ian,firstly can i repeat others respect for what youve done and continue to do....ive got maybe a dozen of your productions from the past few decades and love the vanessa haynes and sydney barnes of more recent times....youve done some great songs with great vocalists but (please dont take this the wrong way) as a lover of 60s music on the whole its the modern production that doesnt grab me...but then im not a lover of most 70s soul either...love the songs (melodies arrangements vocals etc) though.....

im a big reggae collecter too and recently there has been a lot of stuff made using more vintage studio techniques,instruments etc....you couldnt tell if it was made in 74 or 2004....not that you should have to and part of me respects you for not doin it but would love to hear some of these done in an old time stylee !!....maybe some ltd edition remixes for us dinosaurs stuck in the past wink.gif:thumbsup:

Social source share

Yes you can call me Ian, and yes I did DJ at Clouds in Edinburgh, for Yogi Haughton.

Thank you Ian, my memory is maybe not as bad as i thought.

Social source share

hi ian,firstly can i repeat others respect for what youve done and continue to do....ive got maybe a dozen of your productions from the past few decades and love the vanessa haynes and sydney barnes of more recent times....youve done some great songs with great vocalists but (please dont take this the wrong way) as a lover of 60s music on the whole its the modern production that doesnt grab me...but then im not a lover of most 70s soul either...love the songs (melodies arrangements vocals etc) though.....

im a big reggae collecter too and recently there has been a lot of stuff made using more vintage studio techniques,instruments etc....you couldnt tell if it was made in 74 or 2004....not that you should have to and part of me respects you for not doin it but would love to hear some of these done in an old time stylee !!....maybe some ltd edition remixes for us dinosaurs stuck in the past wink.gif:thumbsup:

OK, try this Spacehopper! You want a vintage production, try this!

Utterly, utterly brilliant. I've just heard it for the first time and it's blowing my mind:-

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

One of Levine's best IMO.

Just great.....

Ian D :lol:

Social source share

OK, link working now for sure.....here it is again!

Brenda Holloway "Home Is Where The Hatred Is"

https://www.zshare.net/audio/1988564700753962/

I'm glad you posted that up.

Very very different for me. Very non-standard Ian Levine.

We tried to get a cross between Esther Phillips' version, and Gil Scott Heron's version. I thought it was rather splendid and underrated.

Social source share