Ian Levine, Motorcity, Centre City, Blackpool Mecca, And Swons

I have always known it was a predominantley male scene but thankfully most men have moved on and no longer make stupid sexist inferances like this.

I'm openly gay.

We don't make sexist inferences.

Social source share

Guest Salford soul boy

ph34r.gif coming straight into the the top 20 with grooving with Mr Bloe by Mr Bloe.

Your Dj on this first nite opening DJ Marky mark playing all those RAPPSOUL sound you love to hear.

And next ill be playing some De La soul keep your arse on the dance floor. ph34r.gif

We are privileged to have witnessed the birth of a new musical genre this evening:

Records That Have The Appearance And Sound Of Northern Soul or

RTHTAASONS

in acronym.

My head hurts...

Social source share

As the scene moves on there are people coming on to the scene who don't really know you and in time you are fading into the background and are now sadly only a legend in your own bath time.

Ooooh that's good to know. Consider me well and truly told.

Social source share

Ian

It seems to me that you have never embraced modern soulful dance music ie Blaze - Louie Vega - Quentin Harris - Stephanie Cooke - Marc Evans - Jon Cutler - Susu Bobien - Arnold Jarvis etc.

Have you ever really listened to it? I often describe it as the "new" Northern Soul - obscure dance music on small labels with that all important beat.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

It was 53 a second ago.

There are soul night promotors crying in their beer all over the country.

This looks like a good time to stick my LJ Johnson up for sale thumbsup.gif

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Yes the Mecca in the 70,s great times.

I could not go to the 98 reunion, in was i Preston Royal at the time recovering from a Brian Tumur Op.

I'm so genuinely sorry.

This is to help you pretend you were there.....

(It's now been re-edited but I don't have it available to show you the new version)

">
Social source share

Nothing then pleeze

Cheers Paul

As Marlena Shaw so aptly put it...

LET THE DOORKNOB HIT YOU WHERE THE DOG SHOULD HAVE BIT YOU

Byeeeeeeee.......
Social source share

What a lovely comment.

Now THAT'S why I started this thread.

SERIOUS respect to you.

Ahhh so its true, you started the thread just so people would be nice to you and massage your ego and the minute someone makes any negative comment you cry into your hanky and throw your dummy.

QoFxx

Social source share

Guest Trevski

It all depends on how open minded you are.

I post this now, at this point, after debating with myself whether I should or not, mainly because it will give the Levine-haters a whole new round of ammunition.

But I feel unrepentant tonight.

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Ian

It seems to me that you have never embraced modern soulful dance music ie Blaze - Louie Vega - Quentin Harris - Stephanie Cooke - Marc Evans - Jon Cutler - Susu Bobien - Arnold Jarvis etc.

Have you ever really listened to it? I often describe it as the "new" Northern Soul - obscure dance music on small labels with that all important beat.

Ralph Tee keeps trying but it bores me to tears. It never has any chord changes, just the same same same eight bars over and over.

Northern Soul has a verse, usually eight bars long, and then the bridge lifts your emotions to the stratosphere, especially if it has "doo dooops" or "ooooooh"s, or "aaaaahhhhhh"s, before the chorus kicks in and you're hooked for life.

Those minor sevenths and augmented thirteenths, back to the major seventh or ninth, and the melody note is always the crunch note, never the triad. It always was, always is, and always will be, the best music of all time.

Social source share

In all fairness, discussing Take That, other than me working with Soul legend Billy Griffin on the project, is of no relevance to this forum, and I don't feel comfortable discussing it here.

Out of respect to Mike Hughes, we need to keep this discussion about Northern Soul, or at least records that have the appearance and sound of Northern Soul even if some members refuse to accept them as such.

Ah please,We have had a hard day here and its nearly over, We would be really interested in it Ian. We have moved on a bit on here these past few months or so and some are quite liberal in their listening habits, we even have a funk thread now ya know wink.gif

Social source share

There are soul night promotors crying in their beer all over the country.

This looks like a good time to stick my LJ Johnson up for sale

Which one.

Mark Freeman's got the REALLY rare one - "You Keep My Temperature Rising" on US Mercury, never released anywhere else, not even in England.

Social source share

Guest SteveJohnston

if something is played at Northern Soul nights that makes it a Northern Soul record doesn't it unsure.gif Doesn't the term describes a scene and not a particular music style as Northern Soul is made up of many genres and styles.

Chalky your spot on the term northern soul was the scene back then but it's been hijacked by the 60s only soul people.

Steve J

Social source share

I'm so genuinely sorry.

This is to help you pretend you were there.....

(It's now been re-edited but I don't have it available to show you the new version)

">

" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350" />

Social source share

Guest Salford soul boy

ph34r.gif And you should read what your replying to.

Video Audio MP3 WMP ThD whatever the media you want is out there on the tinternet if you know where to look, is my point you failed to grasp. Like I said your busy working.££ With this in mind let me be first to put your latest offerin on the tinternet FOC.

It will be my pleasure. ph34r.gif

We were talking about videos not audios.

Please take the time and trouble to read what you're replying to.

Social source share

Ahhh so its true, you started the thread just so people would be nice to you and massage your ego and the minute someone makes any negative comment you cry into your hanky and throw your dummy.

Yes dear, whatever, blah-dee-blah, whatever. I'm a disgrace, just like Dave Rimmer said. I should have been strangled at birth.

Social source share

I like it! Quality sixties style pop, a l¡ Anita Harris, or Petula Clark.(Shades of 'Downtown' in there) Not soul, but a damn nice tune!

That is EXACTLY what it was meant to be - exactly to a tee. Well maybe a bit of Dusty Springfield too.

It was the only one white record out of 24 on the album, but still had a Northern appeal. Not really any different to Lynn Randell, Susan Barrett, or Chris Clark.

Edited by Ian Levine
Social source share

ph34r.gif And you should read what your replying to.

Video Audio MP3 WMP ThD whatever the media you want is out there on the tinternet if you know where to look, is my point you failed to grasp. Like I said your busy working.££ With this in mind let me be first to put your latest offerin on the tinternet FOC.

It will be my pleasure.

No thanks. Pass.

Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Mark Freeman's got the REALLY rare one - "You Keep My Temperature Rising" on US Mercury, never released anywhere else, not even in England.

Not any more Ian.

Edited by Matt Male
Social source share

Oh behave chalky tongue.gif just cos it was played at wigan doesn't make it even soul never mind NS.

QoFxx

Me behave? You're the one being mischievous tongue.gif Since when has Northern Soul been just soul, not while I've been on the scene it hasn't. Pop with the right beat has always been played.

Social source share

I'm gonna take a break. Back later. In the meantime I leave you with something truly wonderful. Where else could you have ever seen this ??????

">
Social source share

Guest Trevski

I'm gonna take a break. Back later. In the meantime I leave you with something truly wonderful. Where else could you have ever seen this ??????

">

Social source share

I opened this thread to enable people who like my stuff to ask me questions and get sneak previews.

I'm keeping it to this thread.

No-one has to come in here and be exposed to such terrible things if they don't want to.

The thread clearly says 'Ian Levine".

It's my own little corner of Soul Source.

No-one's accidentally going to stumble in here if they want to discuss The Orwell, now are they ???

Plus it seems to be fascinating some people. It certainly seems to be the busiest thread right now.

If it gets shut down I shall be sad and regretful, but life goes on.

I hope Mike Hughes takes a view and sees it's attracting more people to Soul Source just to see what's being said.

I'm not going to tone it down, as I'm already being what is very reasonable for me, so either it continues, or it doesn't. Time will tell.

In the meantime I will be posting up videos on the Ian Levine thread as long as it still exists.

If it offends, please find the many thousands of other wonderful threads available for your delight and predilection here on Soul Source, and ignore this one.

over time have evolved ways on here that handle certain types of threads based on content, style, frequency, balance and other factors etc etc

however there's no real point in laying anything down at this moment as things on here can and do change day by day

for moment thread seems to be working ok , will leave it as is for now

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

Ralph Tee keeps trying but it bores me to tears. It never has any chord changes, just the same same same eight bars over and over.

Northern Soul has a verse, usually eight bars long, and then the bridge lifts your emotions to the stratosphere, especially if it has "doo dooops" or "ooooooh"s, or "aaaaahhhhhh"s, before the chorus kicks in and you're hooked for life.

Those minor sevenths and augmented thirteenths, back to the major seventh or ninth, and the melody note is always the crunch note, never the triad. It always was, always is, and always will be, the best music of all time.

Sorry Ian your listening to the wrong tunes? I've been playing Soulful house for 30 years and beleive me there is a lot more to it than that. Yes there are mixes that coda around one riff but these are usually just for the club floor. There are a whole host of releases out there that perfectly emulate the chord progressions and key changes you discribe. Some of the vocalists are just outstanding and I would have thought right up your street. By the way I've been into Northern since my first foray back in the 70's. I love both equally. Just think your missing out on some quality music that might show you a different production ethos you would appreciate.

Atb.

Social source share

over time have evolved ways on here that handle certain types of threads based on content, style, frequency, balance and other factors etc etc

however there's no real point in laying anything down at this moment as things on here can and do change day by day

Surely this thread is worthy of its own section?

I'll bet there would be no shortage of suggestions for a title for it. whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest inspirations001

was gonna do some seeling on the bay, but this is much more interesting. i don't know you mr levine and i doubt we will ever meet, but i'm gonna have my two pennorth'. personally i don't like your "new style" northern sound as to me the production is too thin and tinny(if that's the correct wording)? i think most of your motor city stuff is shite with a capitol S! i have heard good and bad things about you but i'm not gonna castigate a man i've never met, so i'm not getting at you personally, but just your musical style.i think somewhere along the road you have lost your touch musically and are trying to re-create a sound that is nigh 40 years old now. it doesn't work but that's just my opinion.

having said that i love archie bell "look back over your shoulder" and also the brilliant "my claim to fame" james wells(imho, better than " still the same man") i have bought your stuff in the past so it must have appealed to me!

serious question, when you record(with any artist) are you aiming for the pop charts or primarily for the northern/disco market.with archie bell for instance? it sounds tailor made for "our" scene but surely you wanted a bigger audience than a few grotty clubs up 't north!

also you say(and others too) that the carstairs changed the face of northern soul, but why that track in particular, why not say life "tell me why"(a better record by the way). i personally think wil collins changed the scene even more, as it was nearly a new release when richard palyed it,it had the handclaps and modern production etc and gave way for a plethora of newer sounds ,ie phylis hyman,curtis, carol anderson(from79!) roy dawson,zz and co,and the rest is history as they say with new stuff being accepted all the time now. at the time it was a brave move,and i remember atlas and the stoke boys being disgusted by the "disco" being played at wigan. anyway your views please if not already asleep!!

Social source share

Guest Nik Mak

">

Social source share

well Ian i,ll say something,you must hold the world record.....over 100 posts on soul source in less than 24 hours.. whistling.gif .wheres norris mc whiirrter.(spelling)

when you need him... thumbsup.gif ..p.s got to admit ...the mel brit ..were,nt bad.

Social source share

Humm I have listened to quiet a few tracks on this thread and a few sound like the original recording probably dubbed of a disc (Melvin Britt) so why add the Techno drum beat the Videos are quiet good with all the special effects, can't the records stand up on there own any more or do the artists urn a good piece of wedge from a new recording. glare.gif

All Around The World springs to mind as being a supper fantastic credible record but a few of the above are of topic cause they are not from or ever will be on the Northern Scene boxing.gif unless they get press up on a limited edition thingie (but don't bother just for me) I cant see my self dancing to a video screen playback.

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

Guest inspirations001

sort of my point in a way. too modern a production on an old record doesn't sound right imho! would have been better the artist miming to the original. anyway i think i sent mr levine to sleep with my previous post.hey ho!

Social source share

Humm I have listened to quiet a few tracks on this thread and a few sound like the original recording probably dubbed of a disc (Melvin Britt) so why add the Techno drum beat the Videos are quiet good with all the special effects, can't the records stand up on there own any more or do the artists urn a good piece of wedge from a new recording. :lol:

All Around The World springs to mind as being a supper fantastic credible record but a few of the above are of topic cause they are not from or ever will be on the Northern Scene boxing.gif unless they get press up on a limited edition thingie (but don't bother just for me) I cant see my self dancing to a video screen playback.

after..long.consideration.. :lol: ..i have come to the conclusion that i agree with you... cheese1.gif

Social source share

No Chrissie that was one of a number of dark moments in the scene history. But you cannot deny that 70s sounds have been part of the northern scene since....err....the early 70s even if you don't personally like them. weren't you there when things like Anderson Brothers, Life "Tell me why", First Choice etc etc Now behave on the 70s thing or I'll tread on your leg plaster cast on the 30th ohmy.gif:lol:

She can laugh.gif

Social source share

i am very gratified and relieved to hear that.

Social source share

i don't know you mr levine and i doubt we will ever meet, but i'm gonna have my two pennorth'. personally i don't like your "new style" northern sound as to me the production is too thin and tinny(if that's the correct wording)? i think most of your motor city stuff is shite with a capitol S!

I'm sorry you feel that way.

Thankfully there are a large number of people who don't agree with you.

Social source share

Hi Ian,

Hope you don't mind me saying but you're so wrong on this.

Might I suggest you have a listen to some of the stuff posted up in the '21st Century Soul' thread in the Media forum & also some of the stuff your old Mecca mate Colin Curtis is playing.

Also have a listen to some of the other tracks Vanessa Haynes is doing. A good starting point would be some of the M Swift vocals she did. I'm sure your'e familiar with the V H tracks as she is an artist you have used a few times on your recent albums.

Just so you don't think this is another anti I L rant as I type this I'm listening to a couple of your Voices With Soul tracks. Quality especially 'Walking On Air' & also like their version of 'From Now On' & have saved you the trouble of posting them up below.

">
Social source share

serious question, when you record(with any artist) are you aiming for the pop charts or primarily for the northern/disco market.with archie bell for instance? it sounds tailor made for "our" scene but surely you wanted a bigger audience than a few grotty clubs up 't north!

I make records that appeal to me.

I don't give a toss what others think. If I was chasing a hit I wouldn't do what I do. I listen back to "Love Is My Sanctuary" and "You Threw A Lucky Punch" and I get immense satisfaction of knowing I created something that deserves to stand the test of time, something I love every bit as much as the records of my youth, something made for me.

That's all that matters. If others like them then it's fantastic.

If they don't, well it's irrelevant as I made them for myself. Having said that, I do have a lot of dedicated fans who appreciate the music I make. I have never fooled myself into thinking that many people on Soul Source are among them, but I am proud and defiant of what I do, and no amount of criticism will ever change me.

The funniest thing was earlier in the year when I released my "Yesterday And Tomorrow" album and I read stuff on here saying the tracks were synthetic, which was hysterical when I took all the original orchestra off the original versions.

Some people are determined to hate my music just because it's me - which is why I made The Four Vandals back in 1999 and Venicia Wilson back in 2000. After the runaway success of Sidney Barnes, I now feel somewhat vindicated.

Social source share

also you say(and others too) that the carstairs changed the face of northern soul, but why that track in particular, why not say life "tell me why"(a better record by the way). i personally think wil collins changed the scene even more, as it was nearly a new release when richard palyed it,it had the handclaps and modern production etc and gave way for a plethora of newer sounds ,ie phylis hyman,curtis, carol anderson(from79!) roy dawson,zz and co,and the rest is history as they say with new stuff being accepted all the time now. at the time it was a brave move,and i remember atlas and the stoke boys being disgusted by the "disco" being played at wigan. anyway your views please if not already asleep!!

The Carstairs was the first.

You had to be there at the time.

It was unique and groundbreaking for the scene.

The Montclairs followed. Life came much later. Will Collins much later still.

The Carstairs was the first non-standard Northern Soul record to change a whole scene, and as such was historic. Plus originall y it was bloody rare too. It took me six months to get a copy after hearing it on a Miami radio station in 1973.

Social source share

Humm I have listened to quiet a few tracks on this thread and a few sound like the original recording probably dubbed of a disc (Melvin Britt)

You are well wrong. Some we got closer than others - it all depends how much the artists voice had changed over the years. Mel Britt still sounds the exact same, whereas Bobby Paris has lost it through years of substance abuse.

I have explained many times, we legally had to re-record every track so we could own the project. Whether you like that fact or not is not the issue. We had to do it.

Social source share

would have been better the artist miming to the original.

It was never going to happen.

Each would have to be licensed in, each license would have only been three years, cost a combined total of over a hundred grand for that many songs, and we'd have lost the rights by now and had to relicence them all again anyway. So the project would have never been made because it could never earn back even a tiny fraction of its cost. It still hasn't anyway, but at least we own it legally to do this.

There was no getting around it so we did the best we could, and by now I naively thought everyone already knew this.

Social source share

Just so you don't think this is another anti I L rant as I type this I'm listening to a couple of your Voices With Soul tracks. Quality especially 'Walking On Air' & also like their version of 'From Now On' & have saved you the trouble of posting them up below.

Curiously enough, having read your post, I thought the one you'd have gone for would have been "Like A Lady", which had over sixty thousand people watch it.

Social source share

Guest biggray1

Hi Ian,must say on face value your input in collating the mass of info and locating all the artist we treasure is fantastic,your enthusiasum to historiclly capture on video etc for future generations is remarkable.People in the future will look back at the history of Northern Soul and will be able to see and hear many of our hero's perform the art. Well Done mate. Graham.

Social source share