Record Stores Worth Visiting In London - Need Your Help

Guest lottekids

Guest lottekids

Hello, I just wanted to know if somebody can tell me which record stores in London are worth a look, I am going to London for 1 day only in september and would love to find some shops that offer vintage northern soul records, so if you know where to go please give me a hint! thanks from rainy Germany, Jane

Edited by lottekids
Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hello, I just wanted to know if somebody can tell me which record stores in London are worth a look, I am going to London for 1 day only in september and would love to find some shops that offer vintage northern soul records, so if you know where to go please give me a hint! thanks from rainy Germany, Jane

In Berwick Street (soho) have some good nice record stores with good LP stuff...

Hope this helps.

Social source share

I seem to remember a record shop just off Oxford St that used to have piles of mixed soul, Welsh Pete used to run it. Don't know if it is still there, maybe Ady can confirm cos I am sure Ady knew/knows him. Pete was a top bloke and seemed to know what I was looking for. Top end of Oxford St. Plenty of good stuff in beer crates, used to spend my wages in there, lol

H

Social source share

Guest john s

I seem to remember a record shop just off Oxford St that used to have piles of mixed soul, Welsh Pete used to run it. Don't know if it is still there, maybe Ady can confirm cos I am sure Ady knew/knows him. Pete was a top bloke and seemed to know what I was looking for. Top end of Oxford St. Plenty of good stuff in beer crates, used to spend my wages in there, lol

H

JB's on Hanway Street? Always worth a look. Also 'On The Beat' on Hanway Street has some bits occasionally.

Intoxica on Portobello Road has good 45s - and they have a website too.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

I would say the best shop to visit is Record & Tape Exchange in Camden for bargins though luck is on the day, Intoxica in Portabella road is good but very pricey

Social source share

H

Yeah Hanway St. Near Tottenham Court Rd Tube station. It runs round into Tottenham Court rd it's self.

Shane McGowan from the Pogues worked behind the counter in the early 80's when he was in the Nips. Ian Clark worked and sold records in there too in the late 80's.

Try Gary Dennis at Crazy Beat Corbets Tey Rd Upminster. Get out at Upminster Tube station on the District line and walk 15mins along the shops. He has a bit of everything..

Londons a big place remember so allow plenty of time.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

To be honest if you are looking for original Northern Soul I doubt you are going to be lucky in the London record shops - best bet is a record fair if you can tie one in with your visit.

There are a few shops in London that have a good selection of 'rare groove' type soul but mainly on LP's.

Social source share

Without wishing to sound patronising or offensive, please don't waste your time.

Explore the best that London has to offer from a cultural perpective, but don't expect to find interesting or cheap Rare Soul records.

We've had 'em all, because we're cheeky cockney tearaways. We're a bit woooah, a bit waaahy... anything that's left is book price or even more.

I would imagine that most European cities are the same. Many's the time that I've been to cities in Europe looking for the killer record shops only to be bitterly disappointed.

Social source share

Guest julesp1905

Many's the time that I've been to cities in Europe looking for the killer record shops only to be bitterly disappointed.

Can't have been with your football team :huh: , no seriously London has been pillaged but i do always find something in R&TE. Last bargin was Jimmy Soul Clark "SD" Soulhawk issue for £6, nothing special but certainly worth more than I paid.

Social source share

Guest fuzzyjon

Hi there

You could try Out On The Floor Records on Inverness Street in Camden Town (about 2 minutes walk from the tube station). Also, you could try No Hit Records which is a bit further down Inverness Street.... carry on past Out On The Floor and cross the road in front of you.... a few doors down is "No Hit".... it looks like you're entering a residential area but this little gem of a shop is right near the end of the street.

Out On The Floor have lots of soul LPs and a good selection of Northern 7"s in boxes on and behind the counter. No Hit have a few old r'n'b 7"s but not really much Northern.... They do a great range of r'n'b CDs though, and they also have a few nice looking LPs.

Good luck!

Jon

Social source share

I was in Camden last year from Canada and thought R&TE was OK. Bought a couple of Okeh 45's. Interestingly they have some stuff in a display cabinet, when I was there it was Laws Of Love on Arctic, and if it doesnt sell they reduce the price, I think week by week, until it does sell. I thought that was a novel way of doing it although it didnt help me as I was only there for the day.

There seemed to be lots of places selling 45's there but not much quality.

Best score was a little shop in Epsom, where we were staying. Got a handful of about 40 Stateside, TMG, Atlantic, Reggae, Island UK stuff for 50p each!!

Social source share

As has been stated before, London record stores may not be ideal for searching for elusive northern soul records, but places such as Soul Brother Records and Crazy Beat are perfect places to find all sorts of modern soul.. and more of course...

Some place are cheaper than others, I´ve noticed that during one day in London you could find the same item several times, but at very different prices.

Is there still a "black-music-only" record fair in the London area? I remember visiting one of those when I visited London several years ago. Remember picking up some nice stuff by for instance Geater Davis, Randy Brown, Dee Harvey and The Vibrations there.

Best,

Melismo, Sweden

Social source share

Guest cardysharpy

As has been stated before, London record stores may not be ideal for searching for elusive northern soul records, but places such as Soul Brother Records and Crazy Beat are perfect places to find all sorts of modern soul.. and more of course...

Some place are cheaper than others, I´ve noticed that during one day in London you could find the same item several times, but at very different prices.

Is there still a "black-music-only" record fair in the London area? I remember visiting one of those when I visited London several years ago. Remember picking up some nice stuff by for instance Geater Davis, Randy Brown, Dee Harvey and The Vibrations there.

Best,

Melismo, Sweden

There is. In Kilburn- first sunday of each month. Not as busy as it was a few years back but well worth a visit.

Social source share

There is. In Kilburn- first sunday of each month. Not as busy as it was a few years back but well worth a visit.

Great, thanks for the info. That´s the one I frequented when I visited (the) London (area) several years ago, glad to learn that it´s still running. It´s the one organized by the guy who runs DT Records, what´s his name again?!?!

Cheers,

Mel

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

Great, thanks for the info. That´s the one I frequented when I visited (the) London (area) several years ago, glad to learn that it´s still running. It´s the one organized by the guy who runs DT Records, what´s his name again?!?!

Cheers,

Mel

It's Des, I am not going to try and spell his sir name :thumbsup:

Top guy as well.

Social source share

It's Des, I am not going to try and spell his sir name laugh.gif

Top guy as well.

Yes, Des, that´s his name, now I remember!

Couldn´t find his name anywhere on the DT Records webpage.

Agree, he´s a top guy, but been a long time now since I was in contact with him.

I wish we had a "black music record fair" in Sweden too.

However, I recently went to a record fair over here and came home with 45 records,

so maybe I shouldn´t complain...LOL...

Cheers,

Mel

Edited by djmelismo
Social source share

Yes, Des, that´s his name, now I remember!

Couldn´t find his name anywhere on the DT Records webpage.

Agree, he´s a top guy, but been a long time now since I was in contact with him.

I wish we had a "black music record fair" in Sweden too.

However, I recently went to a record fair over here and came home with 45 records,

so maybe I shouldn´t complain...LOL...

Cheers,

Mel

Des Toussaint his surname . had a website and ran record fairs for a number of years. Well respected and a familiar face at many weekender venues.

Social source share

Without wishing to sound patronising or offensive, please don't waste your time.

Explore the best that London has to offer from a cultural perpective, but don't expect to find interesting or cheap Rare Soul records.

We've had 'em all, because we're cheeky cockney tearaways. We're a bit woooah, a bit waaahy... anything that's left is book price or even more.

I would imagine that most European cities are the same. Many's the time that I've been to cities in Europe looking for the killer record shops only to be bitterly disappointed.

He is right ! Even in the 80s I has to pay 70 quid for "Alexanda patton" on a capital 45 from "Benos in Croydon" !

The cockney dealers know all about UK rarities !!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert